“A little piece of paradise”

Belizean Dreams Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 10 night honeymoon in September of 2011. We had nothing but great experiences with
Who helped us book the trip. I called back numerous times to ask different questions and try to find out as much as I could about the resort and village itself. After I felt confident that this was the place for us, and that my package was sufficient, we booked.
Arriving at the small airport and the ride to the resort was an experience in itself. The bumpy roads, and small villages were great! This is not like some tropical destinations where u are in a beautifully air conditioned passenger van and experience shopping malls and million dollar homes.... The ride to the resort lets u see how the villagers truly live, and let's you experience Belize for the beautiful country it is. Our driver ( and later tour guide) Ian, is very friendly, knowledgeable of the area and will answer any questions you may have.
Upon arriving to the resort we had a welcome cocktail, and were shown to our room. Because it was slow season and no one had booked the 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen underneath us, they let us have both rooms which was amazing. The rooms were clean and roomy. I only wish that the ac got cooler, and that the wifi worked. Beautiful ocean views from anywhere, and great balconies!
We were an all inclusive package which included all meals, snacks ($500 towards alcohol) and excursions. Excursions were great. We did snorkeling, fishing, a jungle hike to a waterfall at jaguar preserve where we swam in a waterfall, Mayan ruins tour, and a cave tour where you explored caves and swam through cave rivers. Ian also brought us to Guatamala for a day bc we thought it would be fun! It was a blast!
The water at the resort is like bath water which was great! Clearer water is a ways out and a boat can pick you up at the resort which brings you about ten miles out to crystal clear water and their sister resort for lunch.
Although it was hurricane season when we went, we were only rained out completely for one day. Usually it poured in the early morning and at night, then cleared up for us during the day. Don't let this time of year scare you away.
We had massages at butterfly spas next door which was great as well. We had full use of the resort golf cart which we used to go into town (a 3 min golf cart ride). We bought some woodcarvings from David's wood shop and unfortunately driftwood was closed so we were unable to eat there!
The resort restaurant was pretty good. The menu is very small and you cannot be picky. There were nightly "specials" which meant that was what you were having for dinner, like it or not. For the price, I would not go all inclusive again. In town you can eat for 7 American dollars a person, and at the resort was at least $40.00 per person and you didn't get to pick what to eat. If the cook had the ingredients, he would do what he could to make you something else. Point is, if you go all inclusive, you feel stuck bc you already paid for everything, and you dont want to eat out and spend additional money elsewhere. Go to this resort, but don't go all inclusive! Book trips through them as well bc they were great, but try to work out a deal where you do not have to eat every meal there. My biggest complaint once again was the small options for food, inconsistency in how the food was prepared that you ordered, and how nothing was done for us when we conplained about the lack of options for the good money we had already paid. As part of our package they set up a table and chairs for us on the beach, made us a fire and cooked whatever we wanted. What a meal and experience that was! Good job everyone!
Staff was excellent and very attentive. We had fun at the bar and LOVED the pool! I actually loved the teak chairs so much that I asked if I could buy 2 and bring them back to the states. Right before I jumped in the truck to be brought to the airport we packaged them up and I flew them back. I had to have a little piece of Belizean Dreams to bring home!

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Skifreebmd09
There are newer reviews for Belizean Dreams Resort

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a groupon deal for Belizean Dreams. We stayed for 4 nights in June of 2012. On our trip, we stayed on Ambergris Caye, Guatemala, and Hopkins. I thought the friendliest place on our trip was Hopkins! When we arrived at Belizean Dreams, we we taken on a tour around the resort and received a welcome drink. All of the workers at Belizean Dreams were very friendly. There was a mistake made when we booked (a lot of people booking the groupon deal) and we were upgraded to an Executive Suite. We were thrilled!!! While staying in Hopkins, we ate at the local restaurant, Innie's, almost every night. They specialized in Garifuna food. We also enjoyed going to the Drumming Center and listening to the Friday night drum show. I had a drum made for me by David at his woodcarving shop. I was very impressed with the prices and service. We loved staying at Belizean Dreams and traveling around Hopkins.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Becky W
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We travel to tropical locations every year, and have had the pleasure of staying in a variety of establishments and visiting numerous beaches (yes, the profile picture was taken in Anguilla). This trip is clearly in our top 5. So much to do, so many nice people, it would take a truly jaded individual to not love this place!
We just got home after spending 10 days at Belizean Dreams, and we cannot say enough positive things about it. The staff was very friendly and laid back, yet attentive. They treated us better than family - and we already miss them very much. We had a one bedroom villa and it was better than the pictures on their webpage. We had so much fun we didn't realize we even had a tv for a few days - but who goes to a place like Belize to watch tv? We loved the small size of the resort, and most of the guests were feeling the vacation groove, too. of course we took advantage of the free wifi to post a few snapshots of our trip to facebook for our friends to enjoy...(OK, maybe we were bragging a little bit)
July is not the best weather in Belize, so we were ready for some rain & strong current washing some debris on shore, but every morning the staff was out cleaning the beach so we could enjoy a little sand between our toes. We went on one SCUBA excursion that ended with lunch at their sister resort on Coco Palm - a fabulous day, indeed. (We popped to the resort next door for a few more SCUBA trips, and they were great, too.)
When we travel, we want to experience the people and culture of the area, and we are not fans of the impersonal mega-resorts. This little slice of paradise was perfect for us!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CaribbeanTravelers96
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We booked this trip back in October and have spent 8 long months looking forward to our wk at Belizean Dreams, so there was alot to live up to....I have to say this resort did not meet those expectations, it EXCEEDED it by leaps and bounds ! From the moment our shuttle picked us up from Tropic Air it was one of the best travel experiences i've ever had. Byron instantly made us feel like we were the most important guests and he even stopped at the Beliken distribution center to buy super cheap cases of the awesome Belize beer. He loved talking to us about Belize, the people and was glad to answer all of my million questions.When we arrived the beautiful Naomi welcomed us and never once tried to sell us anything,tours etc.After dropping our bags in our rooms we met her at the bar on the beach for a free welcome drink, and she filled us in on all the basics.Now, I read the previous negative review and what those people must not have understood is that if you want to be treated like someone important you have to treat others with that same respect. We took the time to acknowledge our bartenders, waiters, staff and ya know, actually treat them with respect and that made all the difference in our experience. We woke up excited for a new adventure everyday as well as getting to see our new friends from the staff. I'm telling you, they really are that cool,and that great at their jobs. The people in Hopkins overall are some of the kindest, happiest people I have ever met in my travels and I only hope I soaked up some of that attitude. Our rooms were comfy, perfeclty clean and without a bad view anywhere. Even the ladies that clean the rooms were so kind and sweet that I gave one my copy of 50 Shades of Gray lol. And I've never been anywhere that a hotel staff member offers to take you into town and help you shop for ingredients to cook the fish you just caught on the ocean. Arnold did just that, and then set things up with the resort chef to cook it all up, best. meal. ever, When it was time to pay, the chef simply said whatever you feel is right. Albert invited us to watch him play soccer later that day while he served our breakfast without missing a beat. We were able to charge meals and drinks to our room without worrying about carrying cash all the time, and when the bill came we were shocked at how cheap it was. I have stayed with family members and didn't feel as welcome as did at Belizean Dreams. We went on an unbelievable fishing, snorkling and island hopping tour for only $70 a person. We've only been home a few hours and already added some of our new friends on Facebook. The views are breathtaking, the rooms relaxing, the landscaping tropical and lush but the real reason to stay at Belizean Dreams is to experience just a little bit of the world class service and kindness.You know its a winner when the idea of leaving your new friends almost makes ya cry, lol we can't plan our next trip fast enough. Bottom line, life and travel are about attitude, and the one you give is usually the one you recieve. If you travel for wifi and tv then this is not your place, but if you want to experience world class service , culture, adventure and frienships then book a stay here !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently got back home from here and will not be returning. I would like to start by saying we are very happy people by nature; however, might be considered beach snobs because we have been to Anguilla where they have the most beautiful white sandy beaches and crystal clear water.

My first experience with Belizean Dreams after a 45 minute drive down the bumpiest, non-paved road you will ever experience was not the best. As we were checking in, the front-desk guy was obviously hard-selling the excursions so he could get his commission. The half-day snorkel trip was $170 US per person! Because we have been all over, we knew this was very expensive and not a great way to instill trust in your guest. We did not take him up on the (with lunch) $400 per couple trip to go snorkel. Then he took us to the room where the previously mentioned encounter could not get out of my head. The room was decent at best. I realize we were in Belize and technologies should be limited to increase relaxation - but a TV and wireless Internet would have been nice if not expected. We are 30 somethings that like to stay in touch even if we are on vacation.

Then after seeing the room he took us to the beach at the resort. We are from Texas and expected something more than a Galveston-like beach. The water was murky and the sand was dirty so there was definitely no snorkeling on site.

After my bubble bursting on the price of snorkeling and the crappy beach (I know that sounds so snobby with any beach being better than work) - we decided to go to dinner. The special that night at the resort restaurant was shrimp and rice. Little that I knew that 2 orders and 3 beers would cost us $80 US.

Needless to say, I was feeling let down from the begging and if it wasn't for us meeting some other couples of having choice beverages with them - we would have pulled our hair out.

Keep looking at other places close by or even another country because it might not be the adventurous spot you are looking for.

Room Tip: go to the other resorts
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank JeremyB0803
BDManagement, Director of Sales at Belizean Dreams Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

In response to Jeremy's issues and concerns please see the points below:

Destination: Anguilla is an island in the West Indies. You cannot compare a mainland developing country in Central America (Belize) to an isolated island in the Caribbean (Anguilla). Part of the appeal of Belize is that we have the largest contiguous stretch of rainforest north of the Amazon as well as the largest living barrier reef in the world. We have a jungle river (Sittee River) which empties into the sea from a national park just down the beach from Belizean Dreams. Sometime when the rains are heavy in the jungle mountains to the West we have some natural silt from the forest coming down to the sea. We have very little industry in Belize and that is why our waters are so unpolluted and can support such a large barrier reef system just a few miles off our coast and unspoiled rainforest just a few miles inland. This is the natural beauty of this diverse and varied country. Again, please remember that we are not in the States and that Belize is a developing country which only gained independence from Britain in 1981. It has been long struggle for the people of the country to build up the infrastructure and that is part of the appeal as a destination that is “off the beaten path”.

Employee sales: NONE of our employees are paid on a commission structure. We are on hourly, daily, or salary wages with tips and service charge. All of our employees strive to give the best in personal and professional service and attention to our guests.

Snorkel rates: These rates are our published rates and yes, it does cost US$170 per person for a FULL day of snorkeling (8 am to 3 pm) including a full lunch at our private island. None of our employees receive commission and they are trained to offer tours to our guests so that the guests are informed about what services we provide and what adventures are available to them. We pay our captains, and licensed guides/divemasters as well as the fuel for the 9 mile boat trip to the reef. Fuel is US$6.00 per gallon in Belize and our snorkel prices are comparable to all the other tour providers in the area. These guests were provided with a tour price list prior to their arrival in Belize. They were also offered an all inclusive package which would include meals, tours, drinks and transportation at deeply discounted rates. They opted out of this option. The private snorkel trip WITH lunch would cost US$340.00 per couple. Other operations which cost less may not be properly licensed to take out guests to the reef but are still taking the risk of operating. At Belizean Dreams, we use fully licensed and insured boats and hire licensed divemasters, tour guides, and boat captains to lead our trips.

Wireless and TVs: None of our one bedroom suites have TVs, but we DO have wireless throughout the property including at the bar and restaurant. We also offer a guest computer with internet in the front office for any of our guests to use free of charge. Our two bedroom suites have satellite TVs in the living rooms.

Belize is natural beauty: Belize has been blessed with no man made disasters and very little industry other than agriculture and tourism, so we have very little pollution. We rake our beach every day and given the natural environment of sea grass beds and a nearby rivermouth, which attracts dolphins and turtles and manatees, any naturalists or outdoor enthusiast will understand that this is a result of geography. On many occasions our water is not mucky, when the rains are less in the mountains. And overall we have some of the healthiest and cleanest waters in the Caribbean which is why our sea can support the largest living coral reef in the world just a short boat ride from Belizean Dreams.

Meals: Our dinners are all three courses (so the guests did also have an appetizer and a dessert each for this price). We have chef's choice nightly dinner specials which change daily. For our all inclusive guests all meals are included at no additional cost. Again, the guests were offered this option and they opted out. All of our pricing at the restaurant for walk-in/room only guests is in Belize dollars (exchange rate of 2 BZ= 1 US).

Other places: Belize is one of the only places in the world that has not been taken over by toxic industry, fast food chains, or other outside influences which would detract from the local culture and environment. The guests did not take advantage of any of the excursions to really explore the natural beauty and diversity of this country or to explore the local Maya, Garifuna, Mestizo, Mennonite, Creole, and expat cultures. They stayed for four nights at a special rate of 50% off room and a complimentary transfer from the nearby town of Dangriga (roundtrip – US$125.00 value). The guests may better enjoy a more developed area with fake beaches and no culture.

We hope to see more guests who we can welcome into our Belizean Dreams family with open arms as they come to discover hidden paradise we call our home with an open mind and a sense of adventure.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

When we arrived in Hopkins we were not treated well at another hotel. I started walking and checking properties for an available room. Thank God I found Edsel and Ian at Belizean Dreams. They went way above and beyond to make our time in Hopkins special. The entire staff has a can do attitude that can't be beat. The accomadations and amenities are world class.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have travelled all over the world for business and pleasure and often used this site to guide me. However, I have never before been so impressed I have felt compelled to write a review. The rooms and facilities at Belizean Dreams are very nice but what sets them apart is the personal service. The staff is very genuine and can be best described as quality people. The GM Ian is a one of kind. He organized new activities for us every day and treated us as visiting relatives. The best example of this was the day we were leaving were he personally took me hiking so I could have one final adventure before we left. We hiked together as friends and when we passed a large group from one of the other resorts being herded like sheep I felt truly lucky that I chose the Belizean Dreams. Can't wait to go back and see my friends again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HPBjoerndal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Coco Plum Island Resort
Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Belizean Dreams Resort? Share your experiences!