“Great village experience in Belize”
Review of Tipple Tree Beya

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Tipple Tree Beya
Ranked #4 of 20 Hopkins B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great village experience in Belize”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

After traveling around the north and west parts of Belize, we ended up at Tipple Tree Beya in Hopkins Village and it seemed like paradise. It was so relaxing there that it was the perfect end to climbing Mayan ruins and traipsing through the jungle. As soon as we got out of the car, I immediately started taking photos because I was so taken with the place - it was so colorful and well kept.

We stayed in the stand alone cabin - which was really like our own large clubhouse on stilts (the first day it rained ever so slightly so we had to come in off the beach - but we just went to the hammocks hung under our room and leisurely read our books whilst a hummingbird darted about us). The interior was cozy and comfortable - I would have hung out there more if there weren't so many tempting things to see in the village and beach. For longer stays, the room included thoughtful items like a coffeemaker, a stereo, cards, games, books and magazines. The bed was the most comfortable one we slept in during our stay in the country. Yes, the first night we were awoken by the neighbor's barking dog - but that was just a part of the village life that we had wanted to come visit. Otherwise the place was extremely comfortable.

I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful Tricia and Doug (the owners) were - which helped contribute to how much we enjoyed the place. Not only had they prepared a nice binder full of local attractions and menus from restaurants, but they were very helpful offering to arrange trips/tours and offer directions. In fact, one night my wife had developed a bad cough and we were surprised by a knock on our door. It was Tricia - and she had brought us some cough medicine - which was so kind of her considering there wasn't a pharmacy in town or anywhere close by - so it was extremely thoughtful - and that's just the kind of people they are.

We greatly enjoyed our stay there and can't recommend it enough. (and I hardily recommend purchasing some Johnny Cakes and cinnamon rolls from the cute little girls who come around in the afternoons)

On a final note, if you prefer all inclusive resorts where you are only surrounded by other tourists, Hopkins Village is probably not the best place for you to visit because the village is full of local life - which is exactly why we wanted to visit and why we enjoyed the experience.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the cabin and didn't see the other rooms available.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Agnes R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Denver
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Tricia at Tipple Tree Beya is one sweet woman! She was waiting at the entry when we arrived and from that minute on made us feel very welcome. Tricia was full of advice, tips and help from 2 weeks before we traveled until the day we left. Her little room we stayed in was PERFECT and we felt at home the second we arrived. The beach was right out our door and the hammock on the porch was well received by my husband! You will definitely want to visit Tipple Tree Beya - an incredible deal and well worth every minute!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

It was our pleasure to call the cabin at Tipple Tree Beya home for the six days we stayed there. Tricia and Doug put so much heart (and hard work) into making it a wonderful experience for all their guests. The cabin was especially nice for us because of the extra space and privacy. This place is homey, relaxed and comforting, giving the true experience of the little village of Hopkins. The location is ideal for exploring town in foot. It is our opinion that this is possibly the best choice of guest houses in the area. We would definitely choose Tipple Tree again it was delightful. Cindy and Richard.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank swanmarsh
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed at Tipple Tree Beya for a week. Before I arrived Tricia sent me great advice and information on Belize and Hopkins. I loved my room and spent a good deal of time in the hammock on the veranda. Everything is clean and well-maintained, the grounds are raked every day, the beach is right there. My fellow travelers were fun and interesting -- we went snorkeling and dined out together. I enjoyed local fruit and baked goods (don't miss the banana cake!) every day and even if I was gone Tricia made sure I had some fresh bread. This is a beautiful and relaxing spot where you don't have to worry about anything. Whatever you want to do Tricia is happy to help arrange it. I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: The three rooms facing the beach have a nice veranda with hammocks, good for meeting your neighbors...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg J
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This place is one of those inns that looks great on the internet and has a lot of wonderful qualities but the squalor of the immediate neighborhood has a big effect on the atmosphere. The noise is ongoing: blaring TV, barking dogs, lots of yelling all of which .... is fairly disturbing! The rustic cabin we stayed in was fairly comfortable but quite shabby and the owner seems reluctant to upgrade anything... so it's pretty old, not super clean but all in all a decent budget accommodation. I wouldn't stay there again, I'd advise spending more and looking into Beaches & Dreams or some other place. Hopkins is delightful....!

Room Tip: The cabin, while large is extremely noisy - I'd choose the downstairs room in the middle which h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed January 28, 2012

You can't beat Tipple Tree Beya for a clean, reasonable, comfortable place in Hopkins. Tricia is a great host, and the place is immaculate, well cared for, friendly, and comfortable. We stayed in the cabin, and Jane's sister had a room in front. The beach was beautiful, the weather was great, and our stay couldn't have been better. The beds were great, the kitchen facilities were nice, and there was a beautiful zen garden for contemplation. Even the white sand was raked every day. We highly recommend Tipple Tree for your stay in the friendly Garifuna village of Hopkins.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CeibaSpace
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I just spent a week at Tipple Tree Beya and had the most relaxing and peaceful time. This is an excellent guesthouse, simple and affordable ( with nice touches such as fridge and coffe-maker). Tricia is a great source of local knowledge and very helpful with general queries and travel plans.

I can't really add anymore to what has been said by other travellers. I think as pointed out in the web-site you are staying in a living and working village and you may be disturbed by roosters and people going about there everyday early in the morning so don't stay here if you are seeking a sanatised retreat.

As a solo traveller I found this the perfect place to stay:as the communal verandah can be as sociable as you want it to be. Hopkins is also a very easy and relaxed place to stay by yourself.

Highly recommend!!!!