Almond Beach Resort & Spa
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsswim up barsleeping giantbeachfront casitajaguar reefcaptain larryhummingbird suiteveranda roompasta nightour honeymoonbeach fronton the rocksrent a golf carthot tubadventure deskking size bedzip liningfish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Almond Beach Resort in Belize was a lovely experience-oriented resort and very different from any other we've ever experienced. It was very small and personable, a beautiful, rustic setting, and the MOST friendly and kindly staff we have ever met. Our travel companions and we could not believe the personal service and concern expressed by the staff. A couple of us got "Montezuma's Revenge" at the end of the stay, and Mary, the manager, offered her own stash of medicines rather than us having to buy some. One of our quartet injured her bum knee on an excursion and she offered to drive her to the clinic and leant her a crutch to hobble around with for the next couple of days. We purchased the adventure package which included 3 regular adventures and 1 premium adventure. My only suggestion to those going to Almond Beach would be to ask lots of questions about each excursion. They are rated Easy, Easy/Moderate, Moderate, Moderate/Difficult, and Difficult. I'm not sure who those ratings apply to, 25 year olds, 40 year olds, 60 year olds who do sky diving? Just beware. As I said, ask copious questions about what you will be doing on the trip. We took the trip to the falls at Jaguar Reef Preserve. One of my friends, 66 yrs old, didn't quite make it to the falls, was huffing and puffing and I was afraid he might keel over. Granted he does have a-fib, treated, and is overweight, but no-one told us the path was uphill, muddy, root-strewn or rocky and 3 km long. His wife is the one who fell and hurt her knee on the way down. She's 64. I, the youngest, a fairly spry 61, kept up with the young-un's just fine, but even one of them fell on her bottom on the way down. This trip was rated Easy or Easy/Moderate. The BEST ever was the snorkeling. Do them both! The short one is rated Easy, the second is Easy/Moderate but we all were capable and it was the best snorkeling I've ever done anywhere and I've snorkeled all through the Caribbean. They provide water, but the best was a snorkel guidel you should follow because he will show you coral and fish you'd never find yourself. Just fabulous. We were awed - it's a new world down there! Finally, we bought the all-inclusive package for meals. Even though it's only one restaurant, there's enough variety that you will never have to repeat a meal and everything was luscious. The waiters were gracious and went out of they're way to provide you with anything you want. The first night I wanted decaf and they didn't have it, but the second night our waiter had gone out and gotten some so that the rest of our stay, I had decaf coffee with my dessert. We also bought the $300 liquor allowance per pair. That's really no bargain unless you just don't want to carry cash with you since there's no discount advantage. I also had a rough jet lag something or other (can't remember the kitchy name) that left me bruised. Partly my fault I guess. Should have told her it was too hard but she only asked at the beginning and I don't get massages much. Couldn't sleep that night for the pain and the next day, my husband said I had two bruises on my back and I'm not a big bruising person. When I showed Mary, she immediately went to the owner of the spa, who also came and looked at them and was horrified. Mary took the massage and facial I got off my bill! Like I said, these folks went way beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome. If you want to go to a resort where you just sit around and eat and drink all day, lay on the beach or by the pool and do silly activities, this is not the place for your. If you want to go to a quiet, beautiful place where you eat 3 delicious meals a day, go to bed fairly early, get up early and have a wonderful adventure, get treated better than family, I highly recommend Almond Beach Resort.

Room Tip: If you want to get an ocean view, our rooms were probably the worst, but we spent so little time in the rooms that it didn't really matter. Our rooms were 7 and 8. We were told to avoid them because of the street noise but we honestly didn't hear any street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank jillsypie
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stay here!!!! My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in the hummingbird suite (top floor, large deck, beach/ocean view) and it was amazing (there are rooms without views but this place looks like it would be great no matter where you stay!)! The room was fantastically decorated, very spacious and comfortable with a large LCD TV and sitting area, rain shower, and also bunk beds if you bring kids. We were greeted warmly as soon as we walked into the reception area and given a very nice tour of the property. All the staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful! We do recommend using the bikes, mopeds, golf carts to hit the in towns local eateries rather than the expensive americanized Jaguar Reef on site, although their food is decent if the local fair isn't your thing (we had a rental car and ate all meals around town except one at Jaguar Reef). Keep in mind the roads are terrible, and it is .5-2 miles to get to the other eateries that are amazing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SkolVikings
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Beautiful resort, fantastic stay, a pampering to our every need. But the biggest plus was the staff's interest in making everything you want happen.

We had a jungle-beach package with Caves Branch and Almond Beach. I had planned to do ATM Cave from Caves Branch, but they had no interest in trying to put that together. (See separate review.) I was desperate to do that trip, so I asked about it at Almond Beach even though it is an hour farther away. Two staff members jumped on trying to get to the 6-person minimum to make it happen. The day before we were at 5; they told me it would happen. A couple dropped out overnight, but they still did it with 3.

A day before I went on a snorkel trip they threw together in the afternoon for a person who was leaving the next day and a couple who were scheduled the next day when it was uncertain the trip would go out because of choppy waters that had canceled it that morning. So they seem to be specialists at making things happen for people.

Food options are a bit limited at the dining room, but we ate there more often than we thought we would and enjoyed it immensely. A special treat was Taco Tuesday. You requested a meat among beef, pork, chicken and shrimp, and while the cook prepared it in front of you, you piled your plate with tortillas, lettuce, refried beans, jalpenos, cheeese and such to assemble your own taco when you return to your table. Don't miss it.

We stayed in the Hummingbird Suite. It was an upgrade after the room included in our package was unavailable, but Almond Beach did discount it for us. Large room with kitchen on the third floor immediately overlooking the beach and pier. Everything close by, including hammock, beach lounge and kayaks. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RoyalB
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We did the Social living trip "Beach and Jungle". We stayed at Sleeping Giant Lodge and Almond Beach Resort. The Sleeping Giant was fabulous. Large bedrooms, clean, large clean bathrooms. The grounds surrounding the hotel were landscaped with native blooming shrubs and plants. It was beautiful. They were installing a large pool when we were there. You are "in the jungle" but bugs were not a problem at all. Almond Beach Resort was clean, on the ocean, walkable to the very small village of Hopkins. Don't get a room next to the A/C units because they are loud. The most impressive thing is the wonderful staff. Very helpful, kind, and HONEST. I left my binoculars at the top of a hiking trail @Footprint Cave. I reported it to them and the guide said he would ask the next guide going up the trail to look for them. We did make a few phone calls from home when we got back and they did locate the binoculars and mailed them to me. I was very impressed.

Room Tip: avoid the a/c units end rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our second stay in 10 months - the first was in March & our room was in the Jaguar Reef. This time we stayed at Almond Beach as part of a package with 3 night stay at The Sleeping Giant in the jungle. We had the Veranda 2 room this time which was right on the beach. We had our own porch and king size bed. It was incredibly relaxing. Folks weren't signing up for tours when we were there so we rented the golf cart across the street at DiverSirty a couple of times for drives into our Hopkins and along the Sittee River for bird watching. The staff here is so friendly and helpful - Manuel our driver & guide for zip lining, the front desk staff - Gilroy & Angel. The restaurant staff - Gareth, Michelle and a special thanks to Leibi for preparing me a honey/lemon concoction for my cough & sore throat. The beach is beautiful and kayaks, bikes and tubes are available for use. Also want to mention the yummy sandwiches $5 in the Butterflies Coffee Shop. They made for a nice lunch on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple