“A slice of paradise”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Martinez, California
“A slice of paradise”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friend and I had found a Livingsocial deal for this resort so I was a little nervous when we got there....but was pleasantly surprised and satisfied. Every person that worked at the resort was friendly and helpful. The view was breathtaking. Swift and Gilbert at the bars both made a great drink and were very friendly. We were able to book excursions through the desk and had great trips snorkeling in the barrier reef and with Gabby (who was very informative) to the Mayan temples. Overall I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I checked in at Almond Beach Resort for my birthday week at the end of August and it was the best decision I could have made! Management and staff went above and beyond to ensure that I had a flawless week. I had issues with my ride to get there and the manager herself actually picked me up at an agreed point. That really stoked me! The staff was very attentive. They noticed that I was alone and several of them made an extra effort to talk with me and suggest activities, none of which I really anticipated.

The property is ideal. I had a beachfront suite that was simply spectacular. I love that they have lounge chairs and hammocks on the beach. I spent much of my time just taking in the beauty of the property.

In general, it's a world class property with an air of authenticity and great food.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Tyrone876
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Almond Beach toward the end of August 2013. We and many of the other couples were there via Living Social/Groupon deals. The resort is beautiful but is older so could use a few upgrades but the scenery is out of this world. Because we went during hurricane season we virtually had the beach and the pool to ourselves. The beds are horrible and definitely need upgrading as they were like sleeping on a squeaky piece of plywood. The food in the lodge was substandard and couldn't compete with the local fair down the beach so that could use some improvement. The staff are warm and friendly but you can feel a division between the management and the local staff so not sure what that was all about. The snorkel trip was AMAZING and this barrier reef is a must see for anyone that loves sea life. All in all we had a great trip and would recommend this place to friends/family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TonyaRN2013
New York
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our trip started in the Belizean jungle at the Sleeping Giant Resort which was a great experience. I was really unsure of what to expect when transferring to the Almond Beach Resort. The next seven incredible days were spent at the Almond Beach resort with some intervention from Eric the GM. Eric really went out of his way and went beyond anything what I could have imagined and made our stay at Almond Beach something really special. He upgraded us to the Vista Suite which I never expected. Please understand that there was nothing wrong at all with the room we had booked (mahogany Suite)... The room was a walk out onto the beach via a sliding glass door (real nice) with the ocean lapping just 15 feet away. The Vista suite was a spectacular place to stay. I was really floored when we walked into the three dimensional perfection that this accommodation had to offer. We are talking about a formal dining area (set for 12) with a chandelier hanging from the 30 foot ceiling and backed by an Italian wall hanging tapestry (Are we in Belize?). We had amazing water views via sliding glass doors from the full sized living room and kitchen. Three bedrooms with attached bathrooms were nicely decorated in various color motifs. A library room and separate media room both had a murphy bed which was also part of the venue. This fabulous accommodation had its own outdoor veranda with barbecue, lounge chairs and table. The place was designed to sleep 12 and entertaining guests (just spectacular). I assure you that the picture of Almond Beach does not do it justice. I have to admit that this is of those places that you just can't capture in pictures. Yes, the resort is spread out and never felt crowded at all but yet retained a cozy atmosphere. I was surprised by the multitude of flowers and plants which was more than I had ever seen anywhere (it is very settle and easy to overlook). It took a while to settle into the new vibe of this resort but once you did it all came together to perfection.
The pool area had plenty of lounge chairs and the swim up bar served up some necessary beverages of your liking. Try the fresh watermelon mixed frozen with your favorite liqueur. The bartender usually played some good music to add to the mood. The beach is just at beyond the pool area and was not rocky but seaweed did wash up on a daily basis. They had people cleaning the beach every day. Just to be safe, bring water shoes. You will probably need them for some of the trips and you wouldn’t want to step on anything and ruin your fun. We did catch some jellyfish so just be aware.
Now for some interesting info that is hard to come by……we did check out many other resorts in Hopkins and some in Placentia. Villa Verano next door is ultra luxury and its worth checking out this Mediterranean beauty. It is mainly suited for larger groups and families and you may have the entire place for yourself! We also checked out the Hamanasi resort. The gift shop is nicer than the one at Almond Beach but after viewing the resort itself, I knew we made the right choice. I think the Hamanasi would have better overall service but it lacked the vibe that Almond beach had going for it. Belizean dreams had the best land beach bar and the rooms appeared to be nice but it seemed to be somewhat sterile and lacked that I’m where I should be feeling. I certainly didn’t think it was bad in any way but I was glad to go back to Almond Beach. Hopkins Bay Resort was also nice but I didn’t feel it was as polished as Almond Beach. We stopped into Roberts Grove Resort (1.25 hr drive from Hopkins) in Placencia and really did not like the beach at all. The pool was nice with a segmented waterfall as seen in many pictures. I can’t comment on activities but they are supposed to be good as I have read from other reviews. They do have a nice gift shop and the vibe of the place was also good. Being located in Placencia gave you better access to the nice shops in town of which Hopkins is currently lacking.
Hopkins village is safe and about a 15 minute golf cart ride into town via a rough dirt road. The best food mart is the first one you pass on the right side. It is new and clean and you can pick up food, drinks and necessities to bring back to your room. The kids in Hopkins village may join you on your golf cart ride and it is just part of your vacation adventure (just go with it). At night, rent a golf cart or call Almond beach to come get you if you venture out to town. It’s not like something bad is going to happen but the dirt roads are not lit and hey you’re on vacation. Besides, there are snakes and alligators around and they may want to see if you taste different (that story is for another time). No really, you should always be aware of what is lurking nearby. Hopkins Village offers local cuisine, some nice handicrafts and a woodworker’s shop that was never opened.
We had dinner at Chef Robs and it was real good (not to be missed). We also had dinner at Barracuda Bar and Grill and the food was also very good. TIP: don’t miss desert at the Barracuda (WOW). I have had lobster at some of the best places in the U.S. but the Belizean spiny lobster is something special and not to be missed. We also had dinner at the Almond Beach Resort and it was also good and never a disappointment. TIP: you can grab a good sandwich for lunch at the Almond beach café for around $5.00.
As far as excursions go, we did the Barrier Reef snorkel which was a little rough due to weather conditions and the Jaguar Preserve hike. Bring plenty of bug spray a bathing suit and water shoes for the hike and waterfall. Long sleeve shirt and pants may be a good idea if you can take the heat. The hike was buggy and hot but we did see some interesting creatures. Tarantulas, termites, fish and wild boar are all fair game out in the jungle. For that matter, you are fair game out in the jungle….keep your eyes open and be aware of what is around you. The waterfall was a wonderful way to cool down after an afternoon of hiking. The Barrier reef snorkel was 10 miles offshore and the water was six to fifteen feet deep. Best to wear a long sleeve rash guard if you have one handy and don’t forget your bottoms (just saying). TIP: If you have not done it yet, don’t miss the ATM tour. We had done this tour at Sleeping Giant Lodge and it was the highlight of our entire trip.
Two last notes: A special thanks to Eric the GM for going out of you way to make our stay at Almond Beach something we will never forget. It’s amazing to find someone that really cares about people! And lastly, that beautiful handcrafted drum on the pedestal in the Vista suit hallway PLAYS BY ITSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT….no I’m not dreaming….it really plays by itself! It didn't really bother us as I felt that maybe it’s the Garifuna welcoming us home to Belize.

Room Tip: Not sure if any bad rooms existed at this resort! Go for it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Giulianr
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is all everyone would need in a resort
There is plenty activities from ziplining to scuba diving to fishin
All if these activities were fun and done by lik 2 soo u go back 2 the resort and chill and hang with some locals

plus the food is just great with a wide varity menu with something 4 everyone 2 enjoy

great spot, great food, great activities, great trip

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank skimorty3
Elk River, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I found this great resort with a jungle and beach package to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. We saved for 5 years and this trip was worth every penny. Very friendly staff. We had a blast taking 2 of the day excursions and meeting other people from all over the world. We really miss the Carribean Sea with the breeze all day and night, relaxing in the hammocks by the sea. Food was great. We really loved our unit - Mango. Great upper level unit. My wife loved the staffs extra attention to detail - like folding towels into different shapes each day. We almost wish we had enough extra money to buy a piece of land down here close to Hopkins and build a little home to just get away. Thanks again to everyone at Almond Beach and also everyone at Caves Branch Jungle Lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark N
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Almond beach resort is the final leg of our ten day adventure in Belize, that welcomed us with actual ac in a pristine locale overlooking the Caribbean. And while no one is in a hurry to do anything here, it is not that they don't want too, but the reason we come here, to slow down, take a deep breathe and truly relax. We found every guide and resort attendant to be happy to help us with whatever our hearts desired and are highly recommending it to be worth the travel time to get here and experience all that the outdoor excursions offer. We will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
#3 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Almond Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!