“Awesome Resort and Staff”

Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome Resort and Staff”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at Almond Beach August 9-16, 2013. It is a beautiful resort with a very friendly staff. I noticed that alot of reviews mentioned fly/bug problems, but we did not experience any of this. We stayed in Kinep, which is the beachfront casita next to the pool. It was in a great location and had the best views of the beach. It has an indoor and a private outdoor shower. The outdoor shower is convenient when you come back from excursions muddy. Only negative to this room is if you want to sleep during the day, you can hear people at the pool. But it wasnt overly loud or crazy, and most people leave the pool area by 5:00pm.
The beach is kept clean by maintenance men who go around raking up the seaweed that washes up on shore. There are plenty of thatched cabanas and hammocks to lounge around the beach on. There are a few local dogs that hang out on the beach. They are very friendly and we had a good time playing with a skinny little brown one. Only negative to the beach is that there are these little biting flies. So bring lots of bug spray!
The pool/swim up bar is very refreshing. However it is supposed to be more of an adult pool, yet people would ignore the signs and bring their kids in that pool anyway. Nothing says buzzkill like a bunch of 10 yr olds taking up all of the seats at the swim up bar. There was also a hot tub, but that week it was a little too hot for us.
There were alot of young children staying at the resort when we were. Unfortunately this resort isnt really suitable for young kids. There arent activities or play areas for children like other resorts in the caribbean. The kids were bored and ended up annoying many of the adults on the resort.
The restaurant has good food, especially dinner. It was very clean and we did not see a single bug. The breakfast and lunch menus dont change, so they got old by the seventh day. There are also many good restaurants on other resorts as well as in the town of Hopkins. Chef Robs is a 5 minute walk down the beach and it is delicious. Chef Rob also owns Love on the Rocks in Hopkins. Amazing food and unique dining experience! Driftwood pizzeria and beach bar has fantastic pizza and is the perfect beach bar with a beach volleyball court and hammocks at many of the tables. The staff will drive you into Hopkins at night if you wish to eat at a restaurant there.
There is not much nightlife at this resort. So if you're looking for a resort with a night club, casino, etc then this is not the resort for you.
Overall my fiance and I had a wonderful experience here and we are having our wedding ceremony and honeymoon here next October!

2 Thank islandreamer77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Almond Beach is a great resort. This resort is a great place with clean rooms and great food. My wife and I stayed in the beachfront thatch casita which was only about 50 ft. from the ocean. We chose the all inclusive honeymoon package which included private snorkeling,private fishing,Mayan ruin tours, Zip lining, Cave tubing, and many other great tours. This resort is off the beaten path it is not located in an overly touristy area in fact this place will make you feel like you are alone in a Caribean paradise. If you are looking to relaxe, have fun,and enjoy great staff this is the place. This in no way is a pretentious resort if you want cabanna boys or if you need to be waited on hand and foot it Almond beach is not for you. I cannot wait to go back again and again we are planning our next trip already.

Room Tip: I do not like hotel rooms I'm not into hearing the neighbors, especially Kids we chose to stay i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slade d
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a wonderful stay. We arrived at 3:30pm and we had lunch before we took our tour upon arrival since the dining room was about to close for lunch, this was great since we had mentioned we hadn't eaten anything since breakfast at 5:00am. The restaurant was beautiful! We loved the open door breezes flowing thru the hall.

Our room was gorgeous! Tripped a breaker during a power blip from a passing storm but it was taken care of immediately.

The view from our deck was lovely. I was up every morning to take pictures of the sunrise..beautiful!! The beaches were raked every morning, I know this because as I would sit on the deck having my coffee, the workers would pass by and say good morning. The pool was very nice, good location, and we spent some time enjoying the tiki bar and King and Rick's wonderful drinks!! Those two should get a bonus!!

The food was delicious!! We did not have a bad meal. The staff was wonderfully polite. We even spent some time tlking with a worker from a neighboring resort while he was on a break, he was quite entertaining and very polite.

We took three cans of bug repellent with us because a lot of the reviews said that bugs could be an issue. We didn't even use half of one can. Our biggest problem was deciding if we should swim in the ocean or the pool, and that's not really a problem when you think about it. We did find out once we got there that we had over packed just a little.

We were there the first week of August and have already booked our second trip for January.

Norma & James

Room Tip: The Kinep Room is right next to the pool and Tiki bar.
2 Thank Norma F
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This resort looked amazing in the pictures online, but it did not live up to my expectations.

We stayed in the "Crabou" room which was large and spacious, but pretty average in terms of furnishings/decor/upkeep. There was no telephone in the room, so if we had questions or issues we had to walk to the front desk each time. There was a 2-person hot tub beside our balcony which had neither been cleaned nor filled with water. When we asked the front desk about it, we were told that it was not working.

We were supposed to receive a welcome cocktail upon arrival, but we were not informed of this until the next day, and we had to ask for it ourselves.

The food at the resort was pretty good, but there are other options. There are places to eat in the village, such as Thongs Cafe, Innies, and a pizza place called Driftwood. There is also a place on the beach called Chef Rob's which has good food at a reasonable price.

The beach wasn't the nicest. I was expecting crystal blue waters, but the water was an ugly dark green. There was washed up palm tree leaves on the shore and the sand was grainy/pebbly instead of soft. However, there were some nice hammocks on the beach for lounging. The pool was also pretty decent.

We opted for the Jungle and Beach package, and according to the website, it includes "access to resort amenities" at the beach resort, meaning that food, spa services, and excursions all cost extra. This was slightly misleading.

We went to the Butterflies Coffee Shop for a drink. The server was just coming back from her lunch break, and she was quite unfriendly when serving us. I didn't see her wash her hands before preparing our fruit smoothies.

I don't feel that this resort was worth the price, and I would likely not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Roksta79
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have more positive than negatives, but I will start with the great things first! I loved our room, we were in "Guava" where we had a nice open shower outdoors and indoors, and a spacious room with a walk right onto the beach front. The maintenance men always were cleaning and raking the grounds, keeping them up very well. My complaint comes in here when I say that the cleanliness was not the best. We had a pretty intense ant infestation, and our sheets were hardly changed. The maids took forever to come around and clean, and when they did, they did not do a very good job. We also lost our water and power for about half a day, as did half of the resort. It seems that Belize has problems with water, so I wasn't too upset about this. We actually left a comment to the resort on a paper fill out, and they took off our payment of one day because of the lack of cleaning. However, based on other reviews, it seems this is a pretty continous problem. Overall, the staff was pretty nice. Some were very quiet and seemed a bit rude (some of the people who gave us rides) and the women at the front desk are pretty nice. I don't think they know much about Hopkins, so do your research on that area first. Hopkins is the village right down the street from the resort. Hopkins only has a few "souvenir" shops, and is mostly restaurants, but the ladies up front will tell you otherwise. The Belize City airport actually has great souvenirs, so get them there or by the ferry in Xunantunich. Back to the resort, the food was decent, but I would suggest to go visit local Hopkins restaurants instead. None of our food or drinks were inclusive, and they are about 7 dollars average. The pool was AMAZING at the resort, always open with a great view. Pretty easy to get kayaks/sailboats/goggles and snorkels but the tours were not the best from this resort. We took the Snorkel tour and the guide was fairly rude and it rained a bit so they cut our trip short (no refund). I loved what we saw though, plenty of great ocean life to see. Our trip to monkey river was definately over priced, and I would only suggest it during non-rainy season, but we did see some cool wild-life. The local dogs are so awesome, do not be afraid of them, they just want some love! and food probably. Overall, the resort LOOKED very nice and the MAJORITY of workers there were polite and friendly, but there were a few issues that took away from it a bit. I would suggest approaching the cleanliness issue up front and asking to have new sheets everyday, and take the Waterfall or Zipline tour as well as Snorkel. I've heard diving is great here as well, unfortunately didn't have time to go! Eat at DRIFTWOOD PIZZA in Hopkins, and eat at INNIE'S in Hopkins, and we didn't try LOVE ON THE ROCKS but heard it was awesome. ALSO; the front desk will tell you if you take a shuttle to Hopkins that everyone in Hopkins has their number, not true. Make sure you ask for a pick up time while you are at the resort so as to avoid being stranded in Hopkins (it's close anyways, just a few miles away). If it were more clean and the tours were a bit less expensive (because of their level of fun being not superb) I would definitely go back. The manager was extremely polite and apologetic, but it seems the cleanliess is a repeated issue. Overall, I still had a lot of fun and the views were awesome. Also saw a wedding on one of the docks, so that was lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach are good, but probably have more bug issues and water issues.
4 Thank Hillary T
West Nyack, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2012

So many positives and sadly an equal number of negatives. First and foremost, I must say that the staff at Almond Breeze/Jaguar Reef are beyond compare. I can remember all of them by name and I can honestly say that each one of them was incredibly gracious, friendly and helpful. I wanted to (and did) hug them all upon our departure. Our initial impression of the accomodations was one of delight. The jobillo suite is spacious, tastefully decorated and comfortable. However, with each day that passed, it became more and more clear that this establishment is not as clean as it should be. This was no reflection on the cleaning staff - they did their job admirably. Rather, it is a management issue. It is plainly obvious that upkeep and maintenance are not a priority at this resort. The chair covers beside the children's pool are filthy. The sofas in the guest room are grubby and grimy. There was mouldy grout in the bathrooms and an air conditioner was constantly on the blink. The food quality was good. Each meal was freshly prepared by Ceasar, however there was a never ending swarm of flies around each station. The ocean is warm and clean and the staff worked hard to keep it that way. The stray dog who my daughter namded Buddy was loved by everyone. I would urge management to take a closer look at cutting corners. They absolutely need to take a more hands on approach to sanitary issues like keeping the bathroom in the lobby fully stocked and properly cleaning the restaurant area. All in all, I would suggest keeping your stay at Almond Beach short term as the overall impression starts to decline after a few days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Barbara038
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My girlfriends and I recently stayed at the Almond beach/Jaguar Reef Resort and had a wonderful time. The staff is incredibly helpful and accommodating. The manager Scott is awesome. He showed the local pizzeria on the beach and even provided us a few laughs while enjoying our stay here. I would definitely recommend this resort to couples who are really looking to relax without any distractions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SexyGnat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#3 of 11 in Hopkins
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Almond Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!