Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
$299
$120
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Hopkins Bay, a Muy'Ono Resort(Hopkins)
$169
Priceline
  • Pool
$160
Hopkins Inn(Hopkins)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,091 results
All reviewsdeluxe treehousehamanasi stafftree housemayan ruinsour honeymoonc doglion fishinland adventuresmayflower hikeorganic gardenbig daddyadventure centersea dogbeachfront roomblue holehamanasi offersother guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Belize is a beautiful, uncommercialized country with the wilds of tropical jungle, the captivating history of the ancient Mayan culture and the water wonders of a great barrier reef. Despite little infrastructure there is a hidden gem of a hotel down in Hopkins called Hamanasi Dive and Resort. This is a top notch, high end hotel with excellent service and you can book excursions to see the best of Belize. The entire hotel staff is very competent at what they do and they really want their guests to have a pleasant stay. Honestly, they really care. There are clean rooms, great food, and happy hour is from 4 to 6 when drinks are half price. Making friends with the bartender is very easy to do, his name is King!

There's not much night life, and only one night of entertainment with the local Garafuna drummers (which was very cool), but then when you need to get up early for your next day's excursion, you need to get to bed early. There are no TV's and I did miss that a couple of nights especially when we were missing the NFL playoffs! There is free WiFi for computers in the main building.

The excursions are many and varied, bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray with DEET. Also I would say that there are risks to all of the excursions, you need to be safe, listen to the description of the excursion whether the intensity is a 1, 2 or 3 ++++! When you are on an excursion listen to your guide, use common sense and be safe.

During our stay there were several guests at the hotel (5 from different families come to mind) who ended up sick with nausea and vomiting. It lasted 24-48 hours. We found out later that the hotel dispensed antibiotics to some of the guests. It remained unclear what the cause was. You are given a large water jug in your room, instructed not to drink the tap water, but it is OK to brush your teeth, etc. My husband & I used the jug water for all of our necessities except showering and we were fine.

I did have an incident on our tree house stairs, it is dark at the resort at night (there are lights but they try to be ecofriendly). Anyway, I didn't see the step, fell all the way down the stairs on our way to dinner one night. The staff/security assisted my husband and myself to provide first aid, ice in a cooler for the night, and we were served our dinner in the tree house that night. The next day, my right ankle being vey difficult to walk on and swollen, I inquired about getting an xray to make sure it wasn't broken. Hamanasi provided not only a ride, but 2 escorts to accompany my husband and me to the local clinic/ER in nearby Dangriga. It took only 1 hour and 45 minutes- I was registered, saw the triage nurse, saw the doctor, was xrayed, had my xray in hand, back to to doctor, diagnosed with just a sprain and given an ace wrap and enough ibuprofen for 1 week and it cost me $12.50 (american money)!! Can you believe that, up in the US it would have cost me $300.00 to walk through the ER door!

Hamanasi installed a light on the platform of our tree house the very next day and did credit me for an excursion that I was unable to take. And every day asked how I was doing!

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for an adventure of a vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jewelekuhar
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Once you arrive by the Maya airline connecting flight, your driver is there to meet you. You are taken to the resort and given a personal orientation and then escorted to your room. I was very impressed that Stephanie at the registration desk had the insight to ask if we were hungry before the orientation process. She seated us immediately and we were served a wonderful lunch straightaway. We were then shown our room and given a brief inservice. The staff seem to go out of there way to get to know your name and call you by such. We travelled with our daughters ages 8 and 6 and they loved it ! The resort has the most amazing guides, the cave tours with Golden were our 8 year old' favorite part and Captain John on snorkeling was also wonderful! He pointed out marine life we would never have been able to see without him!!
On the 4th night of our trip our youngest (age 6) caught a stomach bug that was going thru the area and the staff actually brought her ginger tea and brought our 3 course dinner to the room since we could not attend dinner in the dining room!
The resort is small, which we loved, we felt comfortable letting our girls play outside in the many hammocks without worry. After the 2nd day we recognized the guests by name and just really felt comfortable amongst both staff and guests!
King, the bartender is awesome, very friendly and asked after Kayla knowing she had been sick.
The rooms are attended to twice a day, daily cleaning service and turn down service while you are at dinner.
The groundskeepers are up each morning at 6 am raking the beach!

As far as the meals go, the meals served from the dining room were amazing!! The lunch served on the tours was good, but paled in comparison to the dining room! THE BEST KEY LIME PIE EVER!!!!

I would recommend to make sure you keep the bug spray handy and reapply as soon as you get out of the waterfall pool or the Blue Hole if you go on these tours.
All in all, the entire family had a marvelous time.

Important to note that this resort is not a night life , party atmosphere scene. If you like the diving, hiking, snorkeling, great food and the comraderie of fellow quests, its for you!! If you are seeking the party, hedonistic atmosphere, no.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pevansrn
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Hamanasi is the place to go if you are looking for adventure. The diving is world class, the staff is exceptional and the food is the best in Belize. I went to Hamanasi for my honeymoon. My wife did not want to dive every day for our 2 weeks in Belize. The variety of activities at Hamanasi keept us both occupied. The Mayan adventure is incredible. Make sure not to miss the ATM cave. It is an expensive upgrade, but well worth it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank njt68
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Overall, the service was exceptional. The entire staff are friendly, warm and welcoming making our stay at Hamanasi a memorable experience. They delivered big time. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the meals were very good. Our special dietary needs were easily accommodated with special lunches prepared for the inland adventures. All of our tour guides were very knowledgeable and passionate about the adventures. We enjoyed snorkeling, kayaking and hiking through the jungles and caves. The timing of these adventures enabled us to see Belize with plenty of time to relax and enjoy the resort amenities.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank 46671Belize_Me
Reviewed January 7, 2011

My husband and I just returned from Hamanasi and it was a vacation of a lifetime!! This "hidden gem" is everything the reviews say and more. We stayed in one of the Treehouse rooms and it was absolutely beautiful. The resort itself is very small which allows every part of it to be pristine and gorgeous. The pool that overlooks the ocean is stunning. The long dock with 2 hammocks at the end of it was our favorite place to relax. The lodge which has the dining area, bar, the gift shop and free wifi was also another place to hang out and get to know the other guests- but beware that everyone was usually asleep by 9:30 because of the daily exhausting excusions that everyone went on!
The customer service at Hamanasi is like no other. EVERY staff member calls you by name and anticipates your every need. The waitstaff were some of the nicest people I've ever met. King the bartender is so much fun! The front desk/management were attentive and made sure our vacation was everything we wanted and more. The housekeeping staff kept our room comfortable and clean and the nightly turn down service made us feel so special. The maintainance and security staff worked around the clock to make sure Hamanasi stayed safe and in tip top condition. The diving and inland tour guides are knowledgeable and passionate.
The excusions that we went on absolutely made the trip! We went bird watching and hiking with Golden, snorkeling with Neal, toured the Mayan Ruins with Harltfield and went to the Jaguar Reserve and river tubing with Emiliano. I simply cannot say enough about these guides. They are amazing at what they do and I feel lucky to have gotten to know them. I felt out of my comfort zone and nervous about a lot of these adventures and these men went out of their way to make me feel completely safe and comfotable.
I could go on all day about how much I love Hamanasi so to sum it all up I will say that we LOVED how small this resort was which in turn made it possible to form a relationship with the staff and many of the guests in one short week. I definetly cried when I left.
DON'T FORGET SUNSCREEN AND HIGH DEET BUGSPRAY.
P.S- An added bonus about Hamanasi is that it is located in a little town called Hopkins which is full of cultural diversity and history. The Garifuna people, which mosly inhabit Hopkins, are kind and welcoming to tourists. Drummers and dancers even came to Hamanasi and performed!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple