“Small and Friendly”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
GreenLeadersGold level
new york, ny
“Small and Friendly”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

We found the Hamanasi resort to be very friendly and accomodating. We spent several days in the Cayo district beforehand visiting Mayan ruins and participating in other activities like cave tubing. We would highly recommend this arrangement so that the time at Hamanasi can be spent relaxing. Its location is not the best for these Mayan site adventures (a long 3 hr drive on bad roads each way). The snorkeling and diving are top notch at Hamanasi! We are not divers but would suggest that you consider getting certified beforehand or at the hotel (if you are at all inclined). The guides are amazing...snorkeling along with you and pointing out all sorts of wonders you would never see on your own. The snorkeling trip consists of 2 or 3 explorations before heading back to shore (20min boat ride - they have 2 of their own boats onsite). The pool area is gorgeous but this is not really the place for relaxing by the pool all day and ordering food/drinks (like at a big resort). Hamanasi life is more geared to daily activities that usually finish by 1pm, just in time for lunch on the porch. The afternoon can be spent by the pool, riding bikes into Hopkins or perhaps a canoe trip up the river. Happy Hour (try the Belizean Sunset!) is fun but you do have to make some effort to meet other guests. The guests range in age from mid-20s to mid-60s...some are on their honeymoon, others are in groups of married couples. Not very many kids. Dinner is served with reservations every 1/2 hour. The food is good (choice of 3 or 4 main courses) but not the most amazing part of the hotel. The treehouses are very nice...almost too large (with an entire kitchen that you will never use). There are no TVs or phones. US cell phones do not work here. The locals are very friendly and eager to please...we felt completely safe (Hopkins has no crime). The beach area is clean, but again, this resort is more of a place to spend your day out on the gorgeous water!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank NYTriplem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Chicago IL
Reviewed March 16, 2007

My husband, Len, and I spent a week at Hamanasi towards the end of February. We were looking for a vacation that combined relaxing on the beach and by the pool with something a bit more energetic. Hamanasi was perfect. We opted for the package including all meals and up to five "adventures", and we considered it value for money.

As all the other reviewers have mentioned, the place itself is idyllic; we stayed in one of the treehouses, which turned out to be just finished as we arrived. Jan and Stephanie were really anxious for our feedback; I complimented Jan on the comfortable bed, and jokingly said that as I was short, I had to tak a running jump, it was so high. We arrived back from one of our adventures four or five hours later to find that maintenance had built a two-step stair to allow me to get into bed with dignity! This just epitomizes the unique Hamansi approach to caring for their guests.

We went kayaking, hiking, and snorkelling. All were very efficently and thoughtfully organized, although I do agree with another reviewer's assessment of the Mayflower hike being a 15 on a scale of 1-3 ( perhaps because, at 59, I'm a bit older than the average guest).

For myself, the snorkelling was the best part of the trip and I would go back again just to explore the barrier reef some more. Len is not a strong swimmer, and was apprehensive about trying snorkelling. But Neil, the guide, was so patient and encouraging that by the end of the outing Len was happily putting on his fins and jumping out of the boat to go swim with the barracuda.

It may not be ideal for younger people who can handle a frenetic nightlife and still get up at 7am to go diving - the bar is pretty much empty by nine oclock, nor would it be suitable for very young children who could not participate in the adventures. Otherwise, we would recommend Hamanasi to people of all ages who want an active vacation but who still need their creature comforts.

Dianne Prange
Chicago IL

• Liked — ambience, people
  • Disliked — insects
Calif
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My husband & I just celebrated our anniversary at Hamanasi . What a relaxing time...everything was warm & friendly, especially the staff...they took such good care of the guests...like family! The food, accomodations,diving & tours were also well done & most enjoyable.....What can i say ..it was GREAT...I want to go back..
S&K

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
VA
Reviewed March 9, 2007

Our visit to Hamanasi was altogether too short and we long to be back there at least once a week! The staff is beyond superb (they know your name the minute you enter the resort...very personal!), the facilities are beautiful (we stayed in a treehouse....gorgeous!) and the food is incredible (superb food, incredible candle-lit dinners with amazing ocean and sunset views)! We were hesitant to eat the fruits and drink the water due to our extensive reading on Belize, but rest assured, the food here is completely safe...and abundant! The staff make sure you have more than enough to eat, and it is ALL good! The tour guides are truly captivating with all their knowledge of the immediate area and the country in general. I would recommend Hamanasi to anyone, and have already done so with several friends!
Although the beach at Hamanasi is not "typical" of the Caribbean, once you get out into the ocean the blueish-green waters are stunning! The Belizean rainforests are amazing and the waterfalls are incredible!
If you want a place to dream about....visit Hamanasi...you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — the treehouse we stayed in
  • Disliked — beach itself wasn't typical of Caribbean
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ewilson
Wash DC
Reviewed March 6, 2007

We just returned from a 5 night, 6 day package stay. Absolutely fantastic - Belize is beautiful, and the people are so friendly. The resort is absolutely gorgeous, the staff is unbelievably helpful and friendly, the adventure trips are great, and the food and accomodations are first rate. We particularly loved the quietness and peacfullness of the place and the eco-friendly aspect (we loved that we could sit under shady palm trees right on the beach!). We loved it so much we might come back for our wedding next year. Our only regret is that we didn't plan to stay longer.

• Liked — Gorgeous setting, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Our stay was too short!!!
1 Thank rhmorris2003
Detroit, MI
Reviewed February 24, 2007

My wife, myself, our 17 year old daughter and her 17 year old friend just returned from 8 days and 7 nights at Hamanasi Resort. I can't say enough about this resort and the staff. Everything, from the rooms to the trips to the food was as described.

Hamanasi arranged the transfer from Dangriga to the resort and it went very smoothly. On arrival the staff (Stephanie) wanted to know all our names, which didn't surprise me. The fact that all the staff remembered our names and what we were signed up for did surprise me. The staff was available and eager to help the entire stay. In fact, everyone I met in Belize was very friendly. I'm a runner and when I ran through Hopkins or Sittee Village all the kids and adults alike smiled, waved and said hi. Even though the local area is very undeveloped and poor I never got the impression I was regarded as an unwelcome gringo intruder as I have on trips to many Carribean islands. The area around the resort is very safe and can be easily seen with a short bike ride (available without charge at the resort). It is a great place to run by the way. If you go early or late in the day you are shaded by the tall growth around the local (dirt) roads.

The facilities are clean and very nice. You could not get more privacy than what the tree houses offer. The beachfront rooms are also nice, they are right next to the office, bar and dining area and have a great view of the beach. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. It is completely uncrowded. You will never have trouble finding a place to lie, whether you want sun or shade. There is plenty of both around the pool and beach. The resort was not "clear cut" and then developed. Everything has been built into the environment, not on top of it. That does mean, by the way, that you might get some of nature in your room. There were several reports of frogs in rooms and one report each of a scorpion and a snake (the staff reportedly was quick and effective at removing these extra guests). What has been said about bug spray is true. This is not the vacation to use an "alternative" repellant. Just use Deet for the week, save the soft skin for some other trip.

People at the resort all get to know each other and I think the friendliness of the staff is contagious. Guests came from a variety of places in the US and Canada and represented a range of ages and interests. There were three honeymooning couples there the week we stayed and the rest of us 30 to 40 year veterans enjoyed getting to know them. The diving is top notch. I'm not a diver, but the experienced divers there that week raved about the reef experiences and the dive staff. I met four people on the plane to Dangriga who stayed at Jaguar Reef (three developments down the beach) and came to dive at Hamanasi because of the reputation of the dive staff.

I disagree slightly with some of the other reviews regarding the food. It was excellent. The food was fresh, good sized portions, excellent variety of choices at each meal, and presented with pride. There was an adequate wine selection. The coffee was excellent, which is not usually true on my travels in the Carribean. I do agree with some of the other writers that the all inclusive option may not be cost effective. My teenage kids were not interested in getting up for 7 or 8 am trips so they only did two trips each (it was mentioned on the website that they all started early, I just did not notice it). The staff was very accomodating and allowed my wife and myself to do an "extra" trip that the kids did not use so we used 16 of the available 20 trips included in our 8 day 7 night package. I paid $6,500 for four packages and if I had paid seperately it would have cost $4,900.

This is a wonderful resort if you like an active vacation with excellent food, very attentive staff and a small, intimate feeling. I did not think it was pricey and I definitely think what you get is well worth what you pay. If you bring kids, make sure they understand they will need to entertain themselves. There is no TV and no cell service. There is nothing in the area around the resort to do. There were 8 kids there the week we stayed and they all seemed happy, but I don't think all kids would be.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank Russ C
New York State
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Surfing the inernet about Belize, we came upon Hamanasi. We read the reviews, were intrigued and contacted the hotel directly. After reviewing the package offered and comparing it with other hotels in Belize, from the Coppolla collection to 3 room tourist b&bs, we made reservations for a week at the beginning of February. We could not have made a better choice. Understand that this is a relatively primitive country, which accounts for the unspoiled beauty of the countryside and sights.
As we got off the 3rd plane of the day (at Dangriga - a puddle jumper) we were met by Boots with his car from Hamanasi. He gave us an informal tour and guided trip to the hotel over some paved and more dirt roads. Later in the week we biked into Hopkins (pop.900), and bought a beautiful rosewood bowl from "David".( I recommend this rather than the tourist traps along the highway).
Upon arriving at the hotel, we were met by Leon and Stephanie, who insisted on knowing our first names (as did all employees and staff there), and the relationship with the staff just improved from that point forward. The staff is helpful, friendly and if you can be over accommodating, were so.
I like a package and we (and our friends from Houston) took one with all meals and 5 tours. The hotel was efficient in the planning all the tours which left on time and were what was advertised..
The meals were uniformly excellent and tasty (and while the menu only generally had 4 main courses, it usually included a pasta, lobster dish (at an extra charge) a chicken or beef dish and a fish (generally snapper). A special salad or soup each night was excellent; breakfast was a buffet with a different bread each day (muffins, etc.) and lunch equally good.
Each day we took another trip - well planned by the hotel with excellent local guides. Frist day, Mayflower hike (our only complaint - the hike was rated 3+ on a scale of 1 to 3. It should have been rated 15 on a scale of 1 to 3. I am glad I did it and would never do it again - a brutally rigorous walk through a rain forest (jungle), using ropes to climb up trails (and down also). Saw birds, etc. Guides very informative..
Day 2 - 1/2 day snorkeling trip (scuba diving for divers).
Day 3 - 1/2 kayaking (or canoeing trip). Down a river - saw crocodiles, vultures, iguanas, other flora, fauna and native birds, animals, etc.
Day 4 - Walking trip (legitimate 1-2) to a waterfall. Lot of fun.
Day 5 - long ride to Mayan ruins, Worth the trip.
Room delighful; guests friendly, not for small children though.
Big honeymoon place. We are in our 60s. Crowd ranged in age and from all areas of US and Canada.
Could not recommend it more.
Tip - if you bring a camera,make sure to bring your battery charger.
Ken and Dorothy - White Plains, New York

4 Thank kjfxke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Almond Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!