“AMAZING! Hamanasi is fantastic, as is Hopkins Village! The best spot in all of Belize!"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I cannot give Hamanasi a higher rating across the board. My wife and I spent a week there in July 2009 on our honeymoon and just had a delightful stay. It is a beautiful spot, with great accommodations, excellent food (!), awesome nightly drink specials and within striking distance of many of the best things to see and do. Hopkins Village is a great town, too, a short bike ride from Hamanasi, with some nice eating spots, stores, bars, a drumming center, etc. Definitely make the time to engage this wonderful place and the people who live there. Hopkins is the center of the Garifuna culture, the Afro-Caribbean community in Belize. Be sure to check out some Garifuna music and to stop by Rosie's restaurant to get a personal history lesson on this rich and proud culture!

What makes Hamanasi the best resort in all of Belize, though, is the staff. From the management to trip guides, to the folks who work at the restaurant, to the cleaning and grounds staffs, EVERYONE is just amazingly friendly, positive and helpful. Not only did we feel like we got A+ service, but we made many personal connections with staff members and came to think of them as our friends by the end of our stay... King, Mark, Julie and so many more that we could never list them all here. Hamanasi is a very special place. VERY SPECIAL!

Oh, yeah, and stay in one of the treehouses!

We spent the week after our time at Hamanasi in a nice resort up the coast from San Pedro (which is fun, but a lot more touristy) and while we had a good time there, it was nothing close to the experience we had at Hamanasi!

Thank you to everyone at Hamanasi Eco/Adventure Resort. You made our honeymoon a delight... We will be back!

Patrick and Drea
(Omaha, Nebraska)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank democracy8888

Reviewed February 12, 2010

Hamanasi went beyond our expectations. We like to have active, adventurous and relaxing vacations at a place where we feel comfortable with the staff and other guests. Hamanasi did just that. We couldn't be happier with our trip. The staff and tour guides were all so friendly and helpful with whatever we wanted or needed. We especially enjoyed the food (wonderful chef and helpers), happy hour with King; clean and eco-friendly rooms; and the hospitable and informative tour guides. Of course, the snorkeling, diving, Mayan ruins, hikes, fishing, swimming,kayaking and bicycling were just delightful. It was so much fun to come back each day from one of our tours to share our experiences with the other hotel guests.

1  Thank birdierasp
Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife, myself, and my in-laws stayed Hamanasi over the New Year's holiday. It was truly one of the loveliest vacations I have ever had. The dive program was phenomenal (my wife and I got our open water certification), led by an incredibly knowledgeable staff who made us feel very safe and took us to the most amazing underwater locations. The hotel is in a very peaceful location and the rooms were very comfortable. The food (different fresh-baked bread every night!) was delicious, especially after a day spent diving. Above all, the service was IMPECCABLE. Every staff member made you feel like you were family, and really seemed to care about you and your enjoyment. I've traveled all over the world, and stayed at many incredible places, but Hamanasi ranks as one of my all-time favorites for overall experience, and I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

OMG, this resort is so accommodating smiling every day all day asking "How can we make your stay better"? The food is 5 star and when I ask where did they get their chef, they said the local woman. I thought they brought in a chef from the US. The staff also asks you what would you like to see on the menu. How many ways can you prepare egss? Every morning they were there and different. The adventures were awesome. We hiked, biked, tubed, kyaked The best snorkel we have ever done and we have been to Hawaii, BVI, Puerto Rico, Cancun, Cozumel, Jamaca, Florida Keys. Our room was beachfront and as soon as you step off the porch, you are on the sand all the way to the beach and in the Gulf. The water is so clear. The only negative is when there is no wind, the sand fleas come out and bite you. You don't even know it. So wear "Deet" protection or baby oil. It keeps them from holding on.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

I can't say enough about how sweet the staff was at Hamanasi. They treated us royally.
We did the all inclusive deal which made everything easy.
They got us to and from the airport in Belize City without a hitch.
We ate all our meals there....food was good. Would have liked the addition of a few simply grilled fresh fish dishes. Maybe a beach bbq one night?
Salads and desserts were great.
We stayed in the deluxe treehouse which had a fridge, which was nice since we bought some white wine at the duty free shop. ($8 bucks a bottle...a decent Argentine chardonnay).
The whirlpool tub came in handy after a strenuous hike...but there wasn't really enough hot water to fill the tub. The treehouse rooms are so private and quiet. We moved to the honeymoon suite for the last two nights. The room was very nice, but you couldn't really see the water. They call it a partial view....I'd say verrry partial. Also, it was right next to the main building, so if you're really wanting uber-privacy, go for a treehouse. There was more breeze in the beachfront rooms than in the treehouses and you can hear the surf. Nicer spot for hanging in the hammock.
Compared to most hotels, the rooms are all pretty private.

We did the river kayaking, the caving, the Mayan ruins and snorkeling (Awesome!).
The guides are great! My husband has knee issues so we didn't go all the way through the cave, and there were a few places at the ruins which were a bit difficult for him. This is an adventure resort, bear that in mind. The heat and the bugs make everything a little harder. But hey, it's the tropics!
I got mild sun poisoning....not a sunburn, really....just bumps like a rash. (I'm very pale and sensitive, ya know!). I sun-screened but next trip I will wear some clothing that has sun protection. Use deet for the skeeters, and baby oil for the sand flies.
Hopkins has more to offer than you'd expect....nice people, a drumming center, little out of the way spots, (like a pizza place that got rave reviews). Rent a golf cart or take a bike in for a gander. The village dogs will break your heart, though.
One night the Garifuna drummers and dancers came to the resort and did a wonderful show.
So....all said, I don't like heat and I don't like bugs, but I still loved this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Many of the outstanding reviews of Hamanasi finish off by saying "we will definitely go back!", and I wondered if those people ever did. Well, we did -- just returned from our 3rd visit to Hamanasi in as many years, and each time has been better than the last! Hamanasi has spoiled us for other southern destinations -- when we look at possibly going somewhere else, none appear to be anywhere close to this one. We love it for all of the reasons listed over and over again in other reviews -- the beauty of the country, the lovely facilities at the resort, the friendly and efficient staff, the fantastic diving and other excursions, etc, etc. We still haven't seen the whale sharks, so will have to return turn AT LEAST one more time!

1  Thank scubalover0
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My wife and I are particularly fussy when it comes to our holiday plans, and we tend to focus on the 'high end' whenever we travel. Hamanasi did not fail to impress in terms of everything! The staff are the most friendly and informal, but professional. it really was like being invited into a grand house and being made to feel part of a large, happy, fun family.

The rooms were clean, private and spacious. The food was varied including local and international cuisine, and was cooked quite superbly. I am surprised it does not have a Michelin Star, or two (maybe it does and I missed it!).

The gift shop was not over populated with trinkets which you'd never wear and which the beneficiaries would put in their bottom draw - instead the gifts were relevant and sufficient. The ambience of the whole resort was one of total relaxation dripping in hospitality.

The tours were also excellent and Hamanasi have ensured that each of their guides display the same informal, but professional, approach capped with an intense knowledge of the jungle and seas.

Would we return? Absolutely. There is a minor hitch in that it requires a small 15 minute flight, at a nice height of 2,000 feet, to Daringer. It is a mild inconvenience for us as we already have to connect via Miami or Atlanta from London. That being said, it will not deter us from returning.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CowdenRiddler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Coco Plum Island Resort
Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!