“Hamanasi gets better every time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
GreenLeadersGold level
Oxford, MS
“Hamanasi gets better every time”
Reviewed October 10, 2008

This visit to Hamanasi was my second this year. My first time was the best vacation I had ever had. This time I was part of a group from Mississippi coming to assist the nearby village with pet overpopulation and health problems.

I find myself wanting to get choked up writing about the experience. Hamanasi as a whole was so supportive of the effort. Never have I had the pleasure to work with a group of people that were more helpful. The atmosphere of care and love that the staff shows spreads like warm water over the guests at the resort, and before you know it, you've made friends with everyone - staff and guests - at Hamanasi.

The feeling of support for the vet team I was with (The Jungle Vets, as we were nicknamed) was amazing. Guests supported our efforts with donations not only of their money, but with their time. One guest spent an entire morning with us volunteering at the vet clinic while he was on his vacation, and another couple -on their honeymoon!- spent a few hours volunteering at the clinic, all of them providing much needed help.

When we weren't working, we enjoyed the excursions Hamanasi has to offer. And they offer so many, you will find yourself wanting to return again and again. I have seen Mayan ruins, gone cave tubing, hiked a mountain to swim in a waterfall (Mayflower hike - not for the weak of heart !), gone down the Monkey River, snorkeled and spent a day on the Toucan Play catamaran... and I still have a list of things I want to do when I return to Hamanasi.

If you are looking for a vacation with a lot of people, loud night life, HBO and Showtime, and a business center-- this is not your vacation. If you are looking for romance, beauty, adventure, great food, outdoor fun and a chance to meet some fabulous people that always have a smile on their face, I cannot recommend anyplace in the world more than Hamanasi.

• Liked — The beauty, the staff, peacefulness, delicious food and fantastic room.
  • Disliked — The resort is very remote, so getting to and from places can be very time consuming. But - that is part of the country's natural beauty, so you just have to deal with it. There is plenty to look at on the drive!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank ClaraLee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Myself and 2 friends had the greatest time at Hamanasi recently. From the time they picked us up at the airport till the time we left, we were treated so warm and friendly. Everyone from Jan the manager to the groundskeepers always had a smile and a hello. Service is second to none at Hamanasi. Every adventure we went on had very knowlegeable guides and the wild life from the birds to the plants was incredible. The snorkeling, cave tubing, jaguar preserve and Mayan ruins were all excellent.

For me , the most wonderful thing is that Hamanasi is working closely with a group of American vets and animal specialists to help the local population of cats and dogs who are in need of medical attention including spay and neutering. I got to meet them while I was there and they actually allowed me to come and volunteer half a day , and I got to see first hand thier hard work in helping the animals and educating the locals on proper nutrition and care for thier animals...I defineately want to go back

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank swordfishx
NYC
Reviewed September 28, 2008

At Hamanasi you feel like you are in your own little paradise. The grounds are beautiful and there are tropical gardens separating you from the rest of the world and the beach, with the beautiful main building in between. This is where you will have your meals that are so delicious and have conversations when you want to with the friendly and knowledgeable staff. No pressure, just comfort and beauty. It seems the staff is really happy and proud of their paradise too, which gives you a lovely feeling that you are part of their community. The adventure trips are great. The staff helps you and guides you (and provides delicious lunches even in the jungle) but you are not just a passive tourist, so you really experience rather than just see stuff. I wish I was still there!!! Be sure to take a night to go into the town and hear/see the drummers. Hamanasi will arrange to drive you to the town and bring you back.

• Liked — beauty, comfort and adventure
  • Disliked — everything was perfect, there was nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Hamanasi August 25th until September 4th. We decided to go with a package that included 5 adventures over eight days.

I cannot stress how genuinely kind and warm everyone working at the resort was, from the guides on tours to the waiters and waitresses at the restaurant. The nicest and most helpful front desk crew that I have ever encountered-everyone went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

In order to give more detailed info, I’ll give my comments on the various aspects of Hamanasi that we experienced:

RESORT

We stayed in a beachfront room the first few days we were there, and were then moved to a Treehouse. Both of the rooms were beautiful. The Treehouse was more spacious and had great little touches that we appreciated (deck with hammock, double sinks in a “fancier” bathroom, etc.). In comparison, the Beachfront room had an ocean view (the Treehouse had a “jungle” view) and was conveniently located near reception and the restaurant. All and all, I feel like both types of rooms were on an equal footing for different reasons. However, if you are a Honeymooner, you might want your privacy a little bit more, and the Treehouse might be a better and more “special” bet! Everything is clean, bright and well-maintained.

The restaurant was very romantic, with an open terrace and candlelit dinners. The pool was small but very clean and conveniently located, with plenty of sun loungers for everyone. As noted in other reviews, Belize doesn’t have the types of beaches that you might find in a place like Cancun (it’s more of a narrow strip of beach), but we saw people snorkelling right off the beach of the resort, and there is a view from the end of the dock that cannot be beat.

FOOD

We really enjoyed the food at the resort. We decided to go with the meal plan, and I think that it is worth it if you don’t plan on wandering about town much after your activities. No one got sick, and the amount of spice was just right for us.

The food was very fresh and we never had a bad meal. We particularly enjoyed the jerk chicken wraps at lunch (the pesto pasta was also great), and the seafood choices at dinner. My husband had what he claims is the best pork dish he has ever had one night.

The breakfast buffet had nice choices and filled us up for our activities.

The desserts were GREAT. Anything with banana was to die for…

ACTIVITIES

We were a bit worried that we would feel a bit left out because we are not divers. However, there was plenty to do and we were not the only “non-divers” at the resort.

We took the package with five activities. We decided to go snorkelling twice, do a waterfall hike, a cave adventure and a visit to Mayan ruins.

The snorkelling was great! Bring a waterproof camera (we didn’t and were too cheap to buy one at the gift shop and regretted it). We saw beautiful marine life and had a great time on the boat ride to the reef that we snorkelled at.

The Mayflower waterfall hike was a bit strenuous (the heat was the problem more than the climb), but beautiful. I worried that I would be the "slow one" on the hikes and that I would be holding the rest of the group back, but the guides are great at adjusting to everyone’s pace. Bring hiking shoes if you intend to do the hiking trips.

The Mayan ruins were wonderful, and the ATM cave adventure we went on was FANTASTIC. I cannot recommend the ATM trip highly enough! Seeing Mayan remains and artefacts was incredible…
___________________________________________________

Bring insect repellent-the bugs come out at around 5 pm (dusk) and they will get you if you aren’t careful!

The other guests we met were great-interesting, enthusiastic people who were excited to be there and ready to share their excursion experiences and tips with us. Meeting these wonderful people made my husband and I want to visit Colorado, Washington, Norway and California because the guests from there were such wonderful ambassadors for their state/country!!

I am happy to say that the vacation ended up being one of the best that we have ever had!!

• Liked — Activities & staff
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PQ_Girl
Monroe, Washington
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We wanted to book a dive trip to Belize for the start of summer vacation. We had booked well in advance to another resort but one month before we were to leave our reservations were cancelled due to an unforeseen event at the resort. We madly scrambled to find another resort that had availability and luckily stumbled upon Hamanasi.

We flew into Dangriga Airport one day after some low lying flooding. The fact that some of the roads to the resort still were underwater resulted in the resort not being able to send their driver or van out to pick us up. Instead we were met at the airport by a local taxi driver. He was there waiting for us, we did not have to wait for him.

We were greeted warmly upon our arrival at the resort by Jan Neel. She personally showed us to our rooms and made sure we were comfortable.

My sister and her husband had a beachfront room. It was clean and nicely decorated. It was in a nice location to the pool and dining area. Our room was the newest tree house. We had to walk a nice lighted path through the "jungle" to get to it. It was constructed of beautiful hardwoods and had a territorial view of the tree tops. Extremely clean and beautifully decorated.

The sign ups for our excursions were at the front desk. Here we met Stephanie and Lionel. They are both very friendly and helpful. Stephanie has such a wonderful sense of humor and made sure things happened for us.

The dive crew were also very friendly and helpful. Sea Dog in particular was a fantastic dive guide, making sure that we saw as much sea life as he could find. The water was pretty rough while we were there but the visibility was still good.

If you get a chance while there, take in the ATM cave. It's a bit of an effort to hike it but well worth it.

Also, try and get into Hopkins Village and watch the drummers. Wow! They are amazing. The locals are friendly and gladly return a smile.

Overall, the food was good, staff was pleasant and helpful, grounds were well maintained. We look forward to going back someday.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, lots of interesting guests.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank santorini4415
Virginia
Reviewed September 13, 2008

My wife and I spent a week at Hamanasi and were absolutely delighted with the experience. The quality of the room and the food was excellent. The staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly without ever hovering. The snorkeling trips were excellent -- lots to see. We especially ernjoyed being able to independently take bicycles and explore the local area as well as launch kayaks from the beach and explore up and down the coast on our own. We also did a one day trip into the interior to the ATM cave. The ATM cave was used by the Maya for human sacrifice and the conbination of natural beauty and rare artifacts is amazing. Its a strenuous day but an unforgettable experience.

We also took a couple of days off and did nothing -- Hamansi is a great place for reading a book.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed September 9, 2008

What a wonderful experience! We're a couple with a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter from the suburbs of NY and extremely fastidious. We were very pleasantly surprised. Upon arriving at the resort, we were immediately struck by the beauty of the grounds, replete with orchids and other local flora. It was breathtaking. Our treehouse was spacious, comfortable and immaculate. The resort offered something for everyone: there were hammocks galore for relaxation and reading; a beautiful and refreshing swimming pool, particularly inviting at night with dim lights under a clear sky and stars; invigorating jungle and waterfall hikes arranged by the resort; and fun and informative snorkeing expeditions. The food was excellent - the continental breakfast was far more extensive than is typical in the states - not only freshly baked breads (what a variety of breads - banana, carrot, zucchini), but also fruits, meats, eggs were included. We often skipped lunch or ate outside the resort. Dinner choices were creative and delicious. We were close enough to walk/bike-ride/golf-cart to town for a half day mini-adventure of souvenir shopping/lunch. We highly recommend off-site ATVing and cave tubing tours provided by CAVE-TUBING.COM, and zip-lining, all of which the resort kindly arranged. All of the staff members were incredibly polite, knowledgeable, helpful, professional and accommodating without being ingratiating - clearly 5-star caliber. The only drawback, asour family enjoys many sports, is that we would have liked to have some sports or evening activities such as volleyball, basketball, tennis, ping-pong, or billards available. Management has indicated it will consider this suggestion. Overall, however, Hamanasi was a terrific resort we would highly recommend without reservation.

• Liked — Extremely clean, spacious and stylish
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AleeNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Almond Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!