“Beautiful place, beautiful people!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
GreenLeadersGold level
Durham, North Carolina
“Beautiful place, beautiful people!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hamanasi is not only a gorgeous resort in a beautiful place, but the people who work there make it truly outstanding. The customer service, knowledge and just general kindess and care they show makes Hamanasi one of a kind. I feel so lucky to have met everyone there. That they know each and every guest's name is no small thing. As someone who works in a customer service industry, I can appreciate just how hard it can be to keep up with that level of detail and care, but they do it... and everyone from the front desk to the maintenance staff does it. I cannot emphasize enough how great of an experience it was to be there, and enjoy the people, trips and food (amazing!) I hope that I remember every moment and that I have the chance to go back again and again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank brookstevens2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
Dublin, California
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my second visit to Hamanasi in the past 6 months. I timed this trip specifically for the spawning of the snapper and grouper and the subsequent arrival of the whale sharks. All of the action normally occurs a few days after the April full moon. Well, the large aggregation of snapper arrived, but it was consistently too deep (120’) so the spawn was not occurring during my 4 dives at Gladden Spit. As a result, we had no whale shark encounters. It is my understanding that during this period, there were not dive operators out of either Palencia or Hopkins that encountered any whale sharks. The locals surmise that perhaps the behemoths cruised on up to Isla Mujeres this year bypassing Belize.

Just like my first visit in October, 2012, the Hamanasi Resort is a first-class place for water-related activities (SCUBA & snorkeling), many topside activities or just doing some serious lounging by the pool or beach. The accommodations are spacious and well maintained; the food is quite good with lunch and dinner ordered off a changing menu that offers a variety of choices including several Belizean dishes. The breakfast is buffet and could be improved if a made-to-order egg/pancake station was included. The bar offers a friendly atmosphere with a nice variety of libations.

Essentially all of my activity was spent diving. The dive operation has a very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. The dive boats are well maintained and offer water, juice, fruit, cookies and towels on each 2-tank trip. Trips to Glover’s Atoll and Gladden Spit include lunch. The operation seemed to have an issue with the Nitrox fills—the % ranged from 35% to less than 30%. Also, the tank pressure was consistently below 3000 psi. With the increased # of divers at the resort for the no-show whale sharks, the dive staff seemed a bit taxed with the level of activity. These were more nuisances rather than any serious issues.

The highlights of the diving included a great dolphin encounter at the end of a dive at Glover’s. Luckily, I was still in the water with my SCUBA gear so that provided the opportunity for some good video. Also, the dive staff was spearing lionfish and feeding the local marine life. A rather large great barracuda devoured 3 of them in a matter of minutes. Even better video. The encounters with the eagle rays and hawksbill & loggerhead turtles will also make the highlight reel.

The one topside activity that I did really enjoy was the Bocawina zip line. It is the longest zip line in Belize. It is well maintained with an emphasis on safety. It is a blast!

Like my first visit to Hamanasi, the biting insects will make a meal out of you. Be sure to bring heavy-duty DEET and use it liberally.

The dive boat was better equipped to handle several cameras with strobe arms. The boat had a large rinse tank for this purpose.

Most of the photo ops for marine life were of intermediate-sized critters, such as, turtles, barracudas, eels, groupers and jacks. There was also the occasional encounter with dolphins and eagle rays. The smaller reef creatures did not seem that prolific.

Room Tip: The treehouse rooms a unique and more private; the ocean front rooms are closer to the beach and res...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DiverMiguelito
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Hamanasi was absolute superb. Excellent accommodations, our fully air conditioned room with fresh water and gift thermoses were perfect. We had complete privacy yet very close to the main quarters. The bed was so comfortable; the bathroom had his & her sinks and showers. Plenty of room to spread our things out and never feel cramped over our stay. The balcony hammock was heavily utilized. The food was always 5 star and never repetitive. The outdoor seating by the pool and the ocean was perfection. We stayed 5 days at the Hamansi and then moved on to Ambergris Caye in San Pedro, so we focused on the rainforest and inland adventures. We choose jungle zip lining, cave tubing & spelunking, then a day touring various Mayan ruins. All were 100% safe and very well done by the Hamansi. My highest compliment though is reserved for the Hamansi staff, all were professional, friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. As much as I’ve love to keep this resort my little secret, obviously I highly recommend the Hamanasi and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Although it was not our honeymoon, I recommend asking for honeymoon quarters.
1 Thank Cindy K
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Absolutely fabulous from start to finish and completely flawless. The email reservations went great with excellent English correspondence. All questions were answered in a timely fashion. Directions for local flights were clear, concise and as stated. Upon arrival at the resort we where greeted with a refreshing drink immediately and completed a personnel one on one orientation of the property and facility. We where taken through the natural jungle setting to our deluxe tree house for our 10 day stay with our bags already delivered to the room. The deluxe tree house was perfect, from the huge bathroom with enormous 2 person shower, separate bedroom, air conditioning, refrigerator( which was fantastic for the duty free liquor picked up at the Belize airport and water bottles) to the deck with recliners, hammock, hot tub, table and chairs. The staff, which outnumbers the 50 guest by just over 2:1 was evident. All the staff called you by name and not once during our stay did we ever run into any staff that wasn’t absolutely pleasant to speak with. I really enjoyed the pool area with total sun and lots of shaded areas, hammocks set up between palm trees overlooking the ocean. However I would like to see a bar closer to the pool for better service, as the bartenders spent a lot of time walking back and forth. Mark kept us amused with his bar games and drink of the day.

For the inland excursions we did the ATM Caves (extra uplift charge, and worth every penny) kayaking tour down the river and the Mayflower hike (if your going to brag about your hiking ability beware Pedro’s is half Billy goat!).

On the reef adventures I dove the reef several times, Glovers and Whale sharks. Boats and diving equipment all were in good condition, clean, washed, rinsed. The Captain even mopped the decks prior to departing after everyone was on board. I traveled with my own gear and was told just leave it at the boat and they would look after washing it and bringing it down every day. My video camera wouldn’t fit in the camera rinse bucket, so they placed a cooler onboard filled with fresh water. One every subsequent dive when I showed up, they already had the cooler on the boat for me. Diving was great and I ended up shooting a lot of video. Not many Lionfish here, so the rest of the marine life was abundant and saw schools of fish, reef sharks, a Bull shark, turtles, eels, seahorse, rays, and schools and schools of Eagle Rays. The elusive Whale shark remained elusive during my trip. The dive masters were all fantastic, and Marco was outstanding with the new divers and got a kick out of my ‘old school’ gear. A short transit to a nearby island for fresh fruit and refreshments during surface intervals was a nice boat break.

Overall this was one of the best trips, nicest people and well organized places I have ever visited. The biggest surprise was the 5 star food. I was not expecting that at all! Would I go back again, in a heartbeat, and defiantly in a deluxe tree house!

Room Tip: Go with the deluxe treehouse
3 Thank shawn m
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Before going to Belize and Hamanasi I read about 300 of the reviews thinking, there has to be something wrong with this place!! NOT SO!!! Hamanasi was absolutely amazing!!!!!! From the very beginning we felt we were taken care of and did not have to worry about anything! We were picked up from the very small airport in Dangria by 2 Hamanasi guides. We were with a group of about 12 which made it much safer feeling when entering a place we had never been.

Upon arrival, the ladies at the front desk where very nice! We were welcomed with a drink and then shown to the dining area on the porch for lunch. Even though lunch time had ended they still served us lunch after our long trip!! We were immediately stunned by the beauty of Hamanasi as soon as we arrived.

Our things were all taken to our room and RoseMary showed us to our treehouse. If you want privacy, I would say GO with the treehouse!! It was fantastic!! Very clean, very private, and comfortable!!! Anytime I asked for something extra the staff was happy to do it, our bathroom needed to be swept half way through the week and the did it immediately and when our water wasn't hot enough they were sure to fix it before our next shower!! I also asked for ice and they left some in our room twice a day!

The food was fantastic!!!! THE BEST...the pork loin with bourban sauce, and the beef loin as well! They have a special bread, soup, salad, and desert every night! You will not be disappointed! We NEVER had an upcharge for any of our meals...everything you want and could possibly eat is all provided in your all inclusive pricing. (Minus the drinks of course) Speaking of drinks, Mark was very kind and helpful in taking care of our drinks needs...we don't drink alcohol so he made sure to still make us special drinks and treat us right!!! All of our servers were fantastic, Suzet was amazing, I loved chatting with her as well as Melania and Florita!!

The staff was amazing!!!! I got some pretty nasty bug bites and they made sure every single time I walked in the main guest house to ask if I was feeling ok and if I needed anything!!! They provided me with jungle salve to help and they were very knowledgeable to tell me what type of bug bites they were and assure me it was nothing to worry about!! Just a few front desk staff to name that were amazing~Karina, RoseMary, and JO...I know there are others I'm leaving out. RoseMary, one of the managers was so fantastic, she even brought me a pair of her personal pants to wear on the hiking adventure since I only had blue jeans!!!

We are not divers so we mostly did the inland adventures...the Mayan Ruins tour was great to my husband who loves history, but what made it enjoyable to me was our guide, Golden! He is so entertaining and passionate! I just enjoyed listening to him tell us all about his country and heritage!! If you are blessed enough to encounter Golden, be sure to ask him about the Garifuna people. He will tell you all about the diversity and culture of Belize. He was by far my favorite guide!!!!

The mayflower jungle hike was amazing!! It was a tough hike, but it was totally worth it!!! The waterfall pool at the top was unbelievable!!!!! Be sure to bring stretchy, comfortable pants, nothing heavy....you get very hot. We had Lorenzo for this tour and he was fantastic as well!!

We did take a snorkeling trip. We had never ever done this before. The staff made it so easy for us. The dive shop took care of all of our needs!!! Sadly, I can't remember the name of our guide, but he took awesome care of us!!!! Since we had never done it before, he stayed just with my husband and I the whole time. He didn't make us stay by the beach...if they ask if you want to do that say NO! We were out on the coral reef with everyone else, we just had our own personal guide :)

At the end of the week, I honestly cried like a baby before leaving. Everyone had become like family!!! I was so nervous to leave the US and my 3 kids to go to Belize but I am so thankful that I did it!!! It was the trip of a lifetime!!! We have been gone for a month and I miss it every single day!!! WE wish we could move there!!!! You can't know how amazing it was until you go for yourself!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah R
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is the best caribbean vacation we have taken. The resort, staff, activities, accommodations, and food are incredible. We will make this our "go-to" vacation from now on. This vacation was moderately priced considering what you got.

Room Tip: The tree-house is awesome!!! Very private but still close to the beach.
1 Thank tara m
Winona Lake, Indiana
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just beautiful. First rate experience all the way around. Takes some time to get there but well worth the effort. Excellent food and service. Every day they had a different menu so you did not get bored with the food. I really cannot say anything bad about this Resort, it was wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beachfront room. It was perfect, close to pool and restaurant, but still secluded...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Coco Plum Island Resort
Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
#3 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!