“Quality place well worth the cost.”

Coconut Row Guest House
Ranked #1 of 20 Hopkins B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My birthday was Dec 7 so I planed a Belizean adventure to mark turning 4-0. My wife and I flew into Ladyville, rented a car from Crystal Auto (definitely use those guys) and drove away. The highways were fine and we had no problem navigating around Belize. After driving in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Belize was quite nice. Oh.. I put over 600 miles on that jeep patriot in 6 days. I wanted to see Belize and trust me... we did.... all the way down to PG where we ate bbq at Malukas on the water!

We arrived at Coconut Row Dec 6 late in the evening. Damian's staff welcomed us and helped us into our room. In fact, I didn't actually check-in until the next morning because Damian was gone and his staff trusted that we weren't gonna skip out. That's a great feeling.

I did all the research on Belize and Hopkins and decided Coconut Row would be perfect for my wife and I. We weren't looking for an expensive "resort" type place since we were highly mobile and really only needed a clean bed, bath and safe homebase. Keep in mind, Hopkins is a Garifuna fishing village (literally), so don't go expecting Ambergris or Folly Beach. We were only staying 2 nights so Coconut Row was a perfect choice.

We stayed in the CocoLoco Room. Nice. Clean. AC worked great. Shower was fine. Bathroom satisfied my wife. What more could you ask?

The beaches in Belize are different... there are NO WAVES (literally), the sand is a little course because of this. Don't go expecting Virgin Islands or Hawaiian sand/beach experiences. The 2nd largest barrier reef in the world creates a very unique environment. Enjoy Belize for that special characteristic. Bugs? Sure... it's Belize. Depending on when you go there are sand fleas, mosquitos, etc... but that comes with the territory. Easily manageable with baby oil, bug spray or long pants.

We hooked up w/ Noel (known locally as "Wij") who took us snorkeling for the afternoon. Noel was a great guy. He knows nearly all the fish and is a pleasure to spend time with. Although, I would encourage anyone who can to bring their mask and snorkel. Just sayin'. ;)

We ate at numerous locations the 2 days and nights we spent in Hopkins. King Casavas had a very good chicken, rice, veggie stir fry. I was actually surprised. It was across the street from Coconut Row so I used it as our "grab a drink get something easy place". The food out at Chef Rob's Gourmet Cafe was very very good... definitely get out there, he's a 1/4 mile or so South of Coconut Row and will give you that resort - first class dining experience... in flip flops.

The people of Belize were fantastic. I practically made friends everywhere we went. Chef Rob's staff was a blast. Noel was great. The girls at King Casava were exactly what I would have expected from Belize.

I can't say enough about Damian and his respect for our staying with him. He and I shared coffee and talked each morning. I commend him for his kindness and the simple quality of his place. I told him to charge more... I would have paid another $10/night.

- cbj

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank claybj

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We are loving our stay at Coconut Row. The beachfront property is absolutely perfect to lay down and tan, walk the beachfront, and enjoy the cool breeze and the waves crashing throughout the day. There are restaurants walking distance to enjoy all sorts of authentic and high end cuisine. My favourites have been Chef Rob and Love on the Rocks. We have also rented dirt bikes just down the road, and did some diving from the local dive shop just a few kilometres up the road. Damion has been our most gracious host, helping up register for diving, zip lining, and taking care of our every need along with making great recommendations. Our villa is maintained daily, meets all of our needs, and has the most stunning view and feel from the rooftop. I would highly recommend Coconut Row to couples as well as families.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nancymcallister
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My lady and I arrived in Hopkins after a disappointing stay in Dandriga, only to be overwhelmed by the warm hospitality we received from Damien and Neesha, the owners. We stayed in the Sunset Suite for three days, making it home base for our touring. Loved the colours and the fully equipped kitchen. When we needed suggestions for dinner, they not only gave us ideas, but drove us to the restaurant door and picked us up when we were done! When we had some challenges with our banking, they let us use their sat phone to sort things out. In my book, that is outstanding service! Thanks again, Damien and Neesha!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John T
Reviewed November 29, 2012

When I stepped onto the property I thought ah this is perfect. The beach was clean with hammocks and nice beach chairs. There are palm trees for shade. The rooms were beautiful large and clean! The owners were extremely helpful and friendly. They are situated in the center of the little village of Hopkins,near the restaurants and the bus stop is only a short block away for those of us who take local buses:)! If I was to come back to this area it would be my first choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janis B
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel has a fantastic, very well maintained and clean beach!! A great place if you are traveling with children . It is also a short walk to shops and restaurants. Friendly service! We would definitely bring out family back to coconut row!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Theconnetts
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We had an amazing stay at Coconut Row. The place is beautiful and immaculate in the middle of the village.
The owners are awesome and super helpful. They even upgraded us to the Sunrise Suite because it was available.
Within walking distance to many great little restaurants. It was a great base camp to visit Placencia, Bocawina zipline, and snorkel the reef.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Dan D
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Clean comfortable rooms at a great value. The managers are incredibly friendly and helpful!! I moved here from another local hotel and Damian and his wife changed my view of this little town. The beach is clean and the room beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Girlbubbly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Maya Beach Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
#4 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Coconut Row Guest House? Share your experiences!