“Drugged out and lies”

Kismet Inn
Punta Gorda, Toledo, Belize
“Drugged out and lies”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I contacted Tricia as we heard she had rv spots for rent. We asked pertinent questions....whats the electrical available JUST for the travel trailer, is there a sewer connection, is water available and while Tricias messages seemed to ramble, she did advice 30 amp electrical, pottable water connection and sewer connection as well. When we arrived we were greated by a young boy who went to get Tricia. Tricia advised me she was on pills obtained from a friend, had only 20 amp service to SHARE with another travel trailer, only a hose to fill the fresh water tank ( no biggie) and a 15-20 ft hose to use to dump our sewage on the ground. The fresh water hose though had a broken connection and would not fill. Our spot was to park directly in front of another rv (as if in same spot) and the promised wifi connection only worked if you were sitting on Tricias doorstep. We had contacted Tricia at least a week ahead of our journey to make sure she was ready. Unprofessional! Looking for a handout and nasty dirty woman! Would not suggest this pkace to my worst enemy. Beware!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lou M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hopkins, Belize
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place is the best advertised place around. Signs are everywhere. So I walked all the way up north to the end of the village (felt like a mile). I was greeted by a big sign that sayed "open". And three dogs. But there was no-one around.

I waited for an hour and some kids came around to just tell me that this place is only open on the weekend. Well, I didn't believe that. That's not how this business works. But not being around is also not how this business works.

I then searched a little for signs like "be back at 5" or the like... nothing.

The place itself made an ok impression, but what's that worth when you can't stay there?

After that long walk and the walk back, I really started to hate this town, because two other places where exactly the same: No-one around

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Kalle B
San Miguel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Trish is a very spirited, lively person and a great cook. It is more like hanging around with friends than just staying at a business. She lent out her canoe so we could go for a paddle in the mangroves and there was a bike to use too. The only negative I have to say is the sand flies were brutal just like the guide book warned. They were only a problem when I tried to lay on the beach,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wanderingsam_13
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you're looking for a rustic beach bungalow stay with the basics, this is the place. Decent room with a decent bed, and an attached bathroom with a toilet and sink. But there is no hot water, and the only shower is outside attached to the house (it's very private, so no worries there, but again, no hot water). The owner, Trish, and the local houseguest, Elvis, are really good, fine folks, and Trish is a very good cook - makes great bread and breakfast and grilled fish! But she is an eccentric personality, to say the least. There are 3 beautiful, happy dogs, along with lots of chickens. And the bungalow is literally right on the beach, so you do feel pretty secluded. But you do feel like you're staying at your aunt's hideaway from the world rather than at a romantic getaway. But, in a way, that's how most ex-pats you'll find in Hopkins seem. Hopkins is a weird and wonderful place. My fiancee and I have fond memories of the place, and of Trish and Elvis, but we cut our stay a little short and left early in the morning without saying goodbye, because the rusticness was just a little too rustic to me in the end. Additionally, there was crazy loud rap music late into the night from the neighbors on the other side, which really did drive us crazy. But, the Driftwood pizza next door is truly a fantastic pizza place & bar - and a perfect vide for Hopkins. (We traveled in August 2011)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suren A
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

All along the Main Street in Hopkins are signs advertising Kismet cabins and cafe. We arrived at lunchtime, so thought we'd have a bite to eat. Trisha was very welcoming, even though we interrupted her painting her chicken coop. We asked if her cafe was open, and she said, yes...she was always ready to cook food for people.
The snook, potatoes, salad and fruit she prepared just for us was very tasty. However the kitchen looked a bit grimey, and my husband couldn't find a toilet for visitors. The experience was a bit bizarre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunckrCalgary
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am not a stuck up traveller, but I had to turn up my nose at Kismet
My husband and I arrived in Hopkins and found the 'Driftwood' beach restaurant and bar. After a few drinks and domino games with the locals we decided to find a lodge. Seeing signs for Kismet nearby we decided to check it out. First impression was not good but we decided one night and we'd move on. We paid for the room and went back to the nearby bar covered I'm bug spray to avoid sand fleas.
When we returned the water was shut off so we had to use wet wipes to clean off the sand and bug spray. I had to spread my clothing over the pillow to lay on it. The linens smelled way to funky.
The place has ran aground and needs serious repairs and cleaning. Toilet stinks, unreliable water supply, fleas on the bed and roosters that crows 4:30 in the morning. That was the last straw for me got up and left, didn't even say goodbye.
I definitely like rustic, but it doesn't need to be filthy, this was the worst place I've ever paid to stay at.
My god Trish & Elvis, you are accommodating guests,keep the dogs out of the room and clean up, your place is disgusting.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank suanliu29
Petaluma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This was our third trip to Kismet at Hopkins beach! What a time we had! There were so many great other guests from everywhere in the world, all having the best of times! We ate the best made fresh caught fishes and fresh home grown vegetables on the planet. And Tricia, our hostess, made us fresh home made bread every day, different types each day! Served with her home made jams and she also has her home made salsas to add to her wonderful recipes for fresh caught fish! She was so funny and entertaining every minute, and had us all laughing and wanting to play music and dance and sing to beautiful music! And when we wanted to go snorkeling, she set up the whole trip, making a picnic lunch to take with us, and securing the boat and equipment. All we had to do was get on the boat! And upon return, she cooked up the catch, which couldn't have been better in a five star restaurant in San Francisco. Tricia is so down home with no reserves at all. She creates the ambience of conviviality to the maximum. And when at the resort, I noticed that she never sits down and rests. She is always tending to the laying hens, washing linens, polishing floors and decks, painting something, pruning greenery, preparing food for meals, serving drinks to customers, making jokes to cheer everyone up on a rainy day, providing internet access, setting up excursions, and on and on. We had the time of our lives, and we will certainly return again and bring our families and friends to share in such a wonderful experience. Tricia is a wealth of information when asked what to do while in Hopkins! She has friends far and wide, and wherever we went for excursions, we were greeted with the utmost respect just because we were recommended by Tricia at Kismet Inn.....We were treated like kings and queens everywhere she recommended, and all of those places were top shelf, compared to where we found ourselves on our own. High Five to Kismet!

Room Tip: Kismet has a place for all modes of travelers. From backpackers to pristine never before travelers...