“Perfect. Beautiful. Private. Belize!”

Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
IL, United States
“Perfect. Beautiful. Private. Belize!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Jaguar Reef in Hopkins for our Honeymoon November 4-11.
We LOVED it! We want to keep coming back to Belize and would definitely stay at Jaguar Reef again and tell all of our friends about it! We stayed in a Beachfront Cabana/Casita, which sits about 15 feet from the ocean and you awaken to the beautiful sound of the waves crashing on the beach.
The cabana we stayed in was very nice- simple yet perfect. The shower is HUGE and features a large ledge you can sit on. It was a nice size TV that we watched like 2 times the whole week. There is also an outdoor shower connected to the cabana. The bed is also very large and pretty comfy. The rooms are cleaned every day or every other day!
The resort itself is not too big, so everything is in a short walking distance.
It has a 2 pools on location, one with a bar. They have a spa, which we didn't utilize so I can't review, and a cafe with an assortment of snacks and ice cream-good!!
They have bikes and kayaks you can use free of charge- fun!
The main building were you check in and can ask questions also in the dining room and bar.
The food is GREAT! We ate breakfast and dinner everyday there and enjoyed every meal.
All the staff that work at Jaguar Reef are incredibly friendly and we made friends with a few of them! :)
They offer several adventures and my husband and I went on 3- Waterfall Hike, Cave Tubing, and Snorkeling. I would certainly do the Waterfall Hike if you like being in nature. Our guide told us a little about the park the hike went through, talked about different vegetation, culture, and just had fun with us. At the top of the hike there is a waterfall you can jump in and a natural pool to swim in! The Cave Tubing was interesting and pretty fun as well. You paddle in an individual inner tube through a stream and into a cave, in the cave you walk and tube about 3 miles and learn about the Mayan Indians and different rituals, you also see a few artifacts. It is all in the dark, except a small lamp on each persons head. I would not recommend for children under 10. You eat lunch in the cave. Snorkeling was awesome! :) Belize has the second largest Barrier Reef in the world and you snorkel in 2 locations. This was our first time snorkeling and we got the hang of in very quickly. We saw stingray, lion fish, barracuda, lobster, and MANY other fish.
Hopkins town is a short bike ride away and we went into town to buy a few snacks and medicine for my husbands ear damage he received on the initial airplane ride.
We also ate at a local restaurant and had Garifuna (an African cultural group) Cuisine- we had two diff soups and they were both pretty good! We met a local who took as to the Drumming Center and they did a little concert for us in the Garifuna language- which we paid for. LOL.
We long to go back to Jaguar Reef in the near future- the resort is great, the people are awesome, the history of Belize is fascinating, it is family-friendly, has adventure opportunities and the relaxation of the Caribbean as well. GO! :D

Room Tip: Beach from Cabanas are awesome for couples!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just spent a week with the lovely folks at Jaguar Reef Lodge and I couldn't have asked for a better vacation. The staff and management were amazing. The beaches were pristine. My favorite part was the swim up pool bar. The bartenders were very entertaining and always coming up with new ideas and drinks for us. The event night, BBQ on the beach was fantastic!

We cannot wait for our return to this country and to do it all over again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We three adults stayed four nights in Orchid, a two bedroom two bath cabana by the "children's pool". Large, well laid out space. Staff is wonderful and variety of things to do in the Hopkins area is huge - we took excursions to the Jaguar preserve, Sittee River for bird watching and Xunantunich. Restaurant is beautiful, relaxed atmosphere. One hour massage at the Butterfly Spa was excellent. Honestly, we were a little disappointed in our "luxury" resort in Ambergris after the enjoying Jaguar so much. A HUGE storm knocked the power out for... 30 seconds! I was impressed.

san francisco
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had an Amazing time at the Jaguar. My friend had been there once before and had a good experience. We came to the Jaguar on May 23rd to the 29th.
Our room was the Bay Palm, which has a gorgeous balcony view of a pristine beach that goes on forever. The only problem with the suite is that the room that I had, the master bedroom in the rear, had a bug problem....roaches and ants mostly. I'm not rattled by bugs, but when I find a roach in the bed..kind of crosses the line.
The location has a very safe feel to it, never once did I feel in danger.
The Manager Corrine is very friendly and personable as well as the wait staff.
We had the pre-paid meal plan and all of the dinners and everything that we had was good.
My only complaint is that the desserts weren't all that great.
We did a few of the tours..the cave tubing, the boat cruise down the Sittee river and the Mayan Ruins to name a few.
The one guide that stood out as the best and most entertaining was Gabriel.
He took us to see the ruins and pointed out a few things that would have otherwise been missed..i.e. monkeys and tarantulas. It was a grueling 2.5 hour drive one way, but he made it fun and totally worthwhile, I highly recommend him.
They offer different tours for each day...Kayaking, Ziplining and Snorkeling.
Everyone had nothing but good things to say about the different activities.
We headed into the village one day, on foot. The villagers are very friendly and accommodating. It was so much fun, I want to go back tomorrow.
Also, try the fruit punch and definitely the fresh coconut water...

1 Thank msmorse1969
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in Belize in April at Jaguar Reef Lodge - it was absolutely beautiful - the best vacation I've ever had. The food was excellent, excursions amazing - we did the Cave rafting, Mayan Ruins - Xunantunich and Cahal Pech, Zip Lining at Bocawina, Sitee River tour and snorkeling on the barrier reef. Met wonderful people from the US - rented a golf cart and went into town. I would highly recommend this place - relaxing, peaceful, fun... Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JandLBurlingtonON
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My two friends and I spent a fantastic week at Jaquar Reef Lodge from May 3-10 and had an amazing time - my only complaint is that I had to come home! I bought this trip for my Birthday and the staff at JRL went above and beyond all expectations!

Before we arrived in Belize, JRL made all arrangemnets to get us to and from Belize City into Dangriga on a small plane (don't worry if your seat belt doesn't work - you will be just fine!) and to be picked up at the small airport. Upon arrival, Corrina greeted us with big smiles and drinks - it felt like we were family.

I must give big kudos and thanks to Laurel and Roberto for their constant patience and smiles at the front desk as the 3 of us spent quality time at the front desk asking questions about various excurisons, unlocking our safe(2x), and getting into town. Thanks for the hearty laughs, great smiles, and soon I will be back for a duet with Buffalo Bill!!

The food and drinks at JRL were good and of course I need to call out our kind servers (Alex & Craig) and Ms. Liz - hopefully, the baby is on its way! The bartenders, Richard & Georgie:) supplied us with great drinks, friendly smiles, and fun conversation. And the chefs (Ricky) were even kind to accomodate my food requests as well as the main Chef heard how much I liked the cookies and baked us some to take with us on the flight home.

I can continue to go on and on about most of the staff as they truly were very kind and generous - ensuring that we were enjoying and relaxing on our Holidays. The excursions we took were excellent!! If you go snorkeling - request Nick & Saldano as your captain & Guide! They truly love the ocean and what they do! And I can not forget to mention that we saw a Hammerhead Shark in the water--truly amazing. We also did a half day of Ziplining -- very fun! Reccommend that you do the half day excursions of snorkeling and Ziplining so than you are back by noon to lay on the beach!! (Or sleep on the beach! Again, thanks to the staff and Felix who checked on me when i overslept and it was dark) We also did one all day excursion to ATM -- very amzing!! If you have the chance do it!! (Just be warned that they do not want you to wear sunscreen or bug spray!)

At JRL - you can swim in the warm waters of the ocean, borrow some snorkle gear, may see a manatee swim by, get out on a kayak, go for a great massage, or swim in the pools! There is lots to do....or rent a golf cart and drive a mile up the road to the great village of Hopkins!! There you will meet amazing locals and eat amazing food! We ate at Sonia's, Tina's, Inies, and Driftwood!! All are highly reccomended!! Get out and explore and enjoy!! Ask the JRL crew where are the great places to go at night.

I have traveled to many places in the world and I can truly say that JRL is top on my list. Belize is a beautiful country with lots to do but It truly is the people that make a trip so much better! Thanks to everyone at JRL -- And I will be back!!

4 Thank Patrice S
Bridgewater, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Belize is remote. It's what I once dreamt a tropical destination would be--but never found anything that matched up... until Belize. Everything from the puddle jumper needed to get there, to the third world-ish (not quite, thankfully) villages, quaint and friendly villagers, affordable prices, perfectly succulent breeze, astonishingly tropical flora and fauna, and bath like crystal clear waters EXCEEDED my dreams. How often can you say that!!?? It also helped that we felt very safe, there's no language barrier, and the locals are incredible in every way. Anyhow, don't go expecting Disney, and be prepared to be forced to be laid back and patient--especially when sitting down for dinner. If you are able to enjoy not being in "America" you will have the time of your life. Our dinner in town sitting at a overused picnic table, next to a fire (used to keep snakes and smells down), talking with the owner's daughter and the local dive instructor was so memorable that we returned to town for dinner almost every night! On the other hand, if you are the type that is hung up on standards, status, and what you've become accustomed to, you won't appreciate Belize.

Room Tip: Both seaside and slightly inland rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LawOffices
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#1 of 19 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!