Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Hopkins Bay, a Muy'Ono Resort(Hopkins)
$169
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hopkins Inn(Hopkins)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsswim up barcaptain larrycave tubingfishbelize citygolf cartzip liningtwo bedroom suitehorseback ridingmayan ruinsbutterfly spabeachfront cabanaadventure desksittee riversand fliesbug sprayrented a car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Fantastic location for a relaxing vacation!!
There is not much to do in the area in the way of night life or anything however the hotel arranges group trips. We zip lined, went cave tubing, and snorkeling while we were there. All of these were absolutely phenomenal! Other guests we talked to did other trips such as fishing and we never heard a single complaint.
The bartenders are fantastic!!! So friendly and very good at what they do!! You can only get Belizian beer there but it is good and tastes a lot like Bud Light.
The food is decent, not fantastic but the menu does change every night which is fun.
Laying out on the beach was amazing. so relaxing and enjoyable! Be warned, a lot of locals come onto the beach and try to sell you "handmade" goods but they are all friendly
The room was beautiful!!! The staff were all so friendly and worked very hard to make guests happy.
When we would walk out of our room we felt like we were truly the only guests there and it was a perfect getaway for a newly-engaged couple.
The flight into BZE is a little scary. It is not like U.S. airports and is very small. We had no problems there however and it is run very efficiently. The Dangriga airport is even smaller but, again, well run. The drive from the airport to the resort is, as other travelers pointed out, an adventure. The roads are decrepit - obviously through no fault of the resort. However, the resort is an oasis. It is beautifully maintained and on gorgeous water.
I will definitely recommend this to any person looking to go to central america.

Room Tip: Our ocean view cabana was more like a beachfront cabana!! No cabana in this resort is in a bad location. However, you will hear some - very minimal - road noise in the ocean view cabanas.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I just returned home from our stay at Jaguar Reef, and overall we had an awesome time. The people and the environment were all great and helped to make our vacation very relaxing and enjoyable. The staff was incredibly accommodating and patient. Regardless of what the issue was, the entire staff was willing to work with us any questions or problems we had. Additionally, there are 3 or 4 dogs that frequent the resort which make for some great vacation pets, if you are a dog person. The food was consistently good; nothing mind-blowing, but also never disappointing.

If you are not signed up for one of the resort's adventure packages, be willing to deal with another group in order to do an adventure at a lower cost. For example, we wound up doing the zip-line along with the mayflower waterfall hike for half the cost of doing them through the resort, simply by organizing a cab ride from a local adventure business in Hopkins. If anything, it is worth taking a bike or golf cart into the village to discuss price options. However, some adventures are worth doing through the resort, simply for the convenience factor and the benefit of having a knowledgeable guide (i.e. Cayo Mayan Ruins and Barrier Reef Snorkeling).

Some people choose to do a meal package along with their stay, which may be more your style if you don't feel much like venturing into town and trying the local grub. However, if you don't want to limit yourself to breakfast lunch and dinner at the same place every morning, I suggest foregoing a meal package and taking in some of the local restaurants, all of which were delicious and unique.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, it would be the hidden/confusing costs associated with food and drinks on the resort. For example, food menus listed prices in U.S. dollars, however the check is always presented in Belizean dollars. The result is the same, but will initially cause confusion. As a general rule, understand that nothing is complimentary and EVERYTHING costs something. However, prices are generally reasonable and we ultimately had no big issues with our final bill at checkout.

Lastly, bring bug spray (lots), sunscreen, BINOCULARS (we forgot ours) and re-usable water bottles (there is a purified water tap in each room).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jordan H
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was made to feel like a king by the jaguar reef lodge and staff. I really needed to get away from it all while I made some life changing decisions. The staff at the lodge were instrumental in creating my very pleasant, three week stay. Right down to making me my fresh, local fruit smoothly and special powder additive every morning. If I wanted something to eat that was not on the menu, the kitchen would prepare what I desired. Every night my room was made up with fresh linen, towels and beautiful flowers placed around the room. I slept like a baby every night and awoke to a beautiful sunrise over the most inviting beach and water front. A Caribbean ocean water front that was easily accessible for a change and just steps from the door of my room. What a blast.
Seriously, I could not of had a better host for my introduction to Belize. I will most certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Belize is wonderful. Jaguar Reef is a mid-level hotel. The cabanas are directly on the beach which was a plus. The staff was friendly, but lacked professionalism and attention to detail. Bartenders were very good. The excursions were good and guides were excellent. Hotel provided sailboat and kayaks for guests - this was a plus.
Rooms had bugs crawling through the bathroom. The bathroom was in need of renovation. The front desk staff struggled with the billing process and I was double billed for the stay - taking 3 days to resolve it. With that said, the Living Social deal made this vacation very affordable so my expectations were not extremely high. If you are going to Hopkins Village, you need to know that there is virtually no night life unless you go into the village - resorts shut down at 9:00P. Take plenty of bug spray - you can't escape the flies and sand fleas.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank mlkane
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I liken this place to a step above where I stayed during my spring break at Daytona Beach when I was 21. It's good but not great. The staff were nice, but not that friendly (a couple of exceptions - bartenders were very good and Ella, lead food service person, was excellent). The rooms were okay, sort of like a $99/night US hotel. The food was bad. We stopped eating lunch and dinner there after the second day. We met the new general manager and hope he will improve things but based on a short conversation with him are not expecting much. Pool is mediocre - smallish and full of chlorine. We went in the "winter time" - US's summer - and the weather there was windy and full of clouds. Bad if you want to lay in the sun all day, good if you don't want to get bitten by sand flies. Oh, and they do have a nice cafe for coffee and ice cream.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family