“Great experience and value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Jungle Jeanie's by the Sea
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Calgary, Canada
“Great experience and value”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My fiancé and I had a great cabana just steps from the beach and found this to be a much more friendly and social experience than a typical hotel. There is a lounge/eating area to meet and chat with other travelers, a screened-in yoga class area and the friendliest hosts you've ever met. We even had a local guide take us fishing and diving from the nearby marina. Great value and we felt very at home there. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was back at Jungle Jeanie's for 4 days over Christmas. They have added three cabins since my last visit but I stayed in my old favorite, Sea Breeze North. This cabana has an awesome view of the ocean and is right at the end of the property so you feel very private and relaxed. John cooked a 25 lb turkey dinner with all the trimmings that was better and moister than many Christmas dinner I've had in Canada. If you have a chance take a yoga class in the jungle palapa for only $10 or go on a pontoon boat ride on the Sittee River for $40. You'll likely see crocodiles, iguanas, plenty of birds and a fabulous sunset enhanced by John's rum punch!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DaleL943
Central Saanich, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional! Quiet, personable and relaxed. It was our perfect oasis. Many thanks to Barbara, John and Kevin for making us feel so at home and looking after us so well. We'll be back and recommending you to all we know.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

As a solo traveler, I felt at ease every moment of my stay. The food is incredible and very resaonably priced. The location is just outside of town, an easy walk or bike ride. Very quaint and just what I needed as far as price, space and location. You can be sure that I will return. I enjoyed my stay in Hopkins and Jungle Jeanies so much that I rearranged my flight to stay longer!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Newton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Jungle Jeanie’s has consistently exceeded all my expectations! You made me feel like family.

This is my second visit to Belize…..10/23-11/6/13, and this time stayed for a total of 7 nights at Jungle Jeanie’s. My first trip was in April 2012, where I intended to stay for 3 nights, but extended for 7. This trip I popped in and out 3 times during my 2 week visit to Belize….and I had the opportunity to stay in all 3 beach front cabins: Tree House, Beach House, and Sea Chalet. My favorite is the Sea Chalet, with its optimally situated hammock, surrounded by magnificent palms and mature sea grapes; and is not even a coconut toss to the sea. The constant breeze from the East, and the sound of the sea as I slept, was delightful.

I arrived late in the evening (don’t drive down from the airport on the Humming Bird Highway after dark), and was warmly greeted by John, Jeanie & Sarah. I was stressed out from the harrowing drive down, and what did they do – impromptu, they made me a couple of creative hot sandwiches, and a cold Belikin hit the spot….a welcome alternative to having to settle in and go into the Village for a late meal!

Special mention to Barbara, a font of knowledge and local insight, she can help with arranging virtually anything, and is truly a subject matter expert on the region, and Belize overall.

Breakfast at J&J’s is a generous. I chose the fruit platter most of the time – what an excellent variety of fresh fruits. And don’t overlook the daily dinner special, if Snapper is on the menu; reserve your plate early in the day. John has perfected the seasoning, and the cook executes the whole meal perfectly. Also, ask Jeanie for a sample 5 Barrel Rum….I don’t like rum, but this product is unbelievably smooth, and mellow, you will want to bring some home.

My only recommendation, John, you may want to inventory (in the freezer) Gibnuts for some of your more adventurous guests. Tina, in the village, can give a recipe that will be a melt in the mouth experience.

Room Tip: Sea Chalet is by far the best!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David M
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Hi,

Myself an my girlfriend made a late decision to travel to Belize as it remains relatively unspoilt and very pretty. We opted for Jeanie's on the back of other reviews. The accommodation is lovely, each cabana has a different theme and layout, ours, the treehouse was one of the smaller ones but had great views of the sea and sunrise.

Our hosts and staffs were lovely, Jean works hard to ensure your stay is comfortable and is full of advise on what to do and where to go. The beach is clean and cleared of driftwood daily and all amenities are well maintained.

Do not expect hotel luxuries but do expect to be able to relax and experience simple but wonderfully comfortable accommodations and beautiful scenery.

Hopkins has plenty of places to eat and drink, none are bad but if you are on a budget look for the smaller restaurants, the food is wonderful and inexpensive, if you are not on a budget there are plenty of high end places to choose from...I must add the food at Jeanie's is exceptional. The village is still a little bit in the dark ages, don't expect paved roads and come with an open mind, if you do you will love it.

If you are flying into Belize city then consider car rental, it is not cheap but it will get you there faster, the roads are good 95 % of the way and a car will give you the freedom to explore without having to pay full price for excursions. (Oh make sure it's an SUV) road cars will not be insured properly on the bumpy roads that criss cross Hopkins Village.

One more thing we got the room half price because of hurricane season...a gamble that paid off as the weather was wonderful.

Oh one other comment, take the boat trip that Jean organises on the Sitee river, it's a sunset trip plenty of rum and food...very relaxing.

Richard/Oxana

Room Tip: Some cabanas are under the trees, if you like to see more sun then choose one on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard G
Jungle J, Manager at Jungle Jeanie's by the Sea, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thanks so much for your wonderful visit, your kind words and the excellent advice you offer future travelers and thanks also for your very generous gifts of clothing to staff. You will not be forgotten!
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Had a wonderful trip to Belize and this was a great spot to kick back and relax by the beautiful Caribbean. Relaxed in sea and watched the sun come up and them had a great breakfast in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JED49
Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Come back when you can stay longer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#3 of 11 in Hopkins
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Jungle Jeanie's by the Sea? Share your experiences!