“Lovely Surroundings”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This past week end my husband & I attended a wedding at Lone Pine Hotel.
The location is perfect for a beach break as well as such a wonderful event. Being a smaller boutique hotel it isn't as crowded & busy as larger ones. The staff are friendly & attentive from the time you arrive until departure. The rooms are large, clean, we'll appointed & all with a balcony overlooking the sea.
The wedding was beautifully presented & again the staff friendly while being professional. What a wonderful venue for such a special occasion.
There is no question where we'll stay on our next visit to Penang.

1  Thank KML1946
Khoo B, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear KML1946,

It is with much appreciation for your kind review on the property and its services. Indeed Lone Pine is a much sought after venue for garden weddings as our grounds boast of the majestic Casuarina trees and a well manicured garden. The descending sun in the evening will add on to a romantic ambiance. Well we hope to have you as our guest again and wish you a pleasant and wonderful year ahead.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at Lone Pine for a week and had mixed feelings about our stay (in fact left two days early)
The hotel itself is lovely, great pool, convenient position to night markets etc. It was the service that didn't match the surroundings.
We arrived early evening after a very long flight from Beijing via KL, and decided to have a glass of white wine to revive! It arrived luke warm! We asked for a replacement (cold) drink - which never arrived. The next morning we went down to breakfast and stood for ages waiting to be seated - eventually we just took a table which was half laid. The waiter came around with coffee and we asked if we could both have a cup. He poured mine and said he would come back with a cup for my husband. I watched him wander around until eventually he put the coffee jug down and disappeared. When he came back we again asked for another cup - it never came and eventually my husband went behind the counter and got himself a cup. Repeatedly during our stay we experienced this half hearted service.
We had really inconsistent room servicing - and on one occasion we were still requesting out room be serviced at 6.30pm. We eventually had it done while having our dinner. We had asked if the half used bath gel and cigarette butts could be removed from our balcony spa (left by previous guests) This never happened.
Following a number of issues the duty manager kindly sent a bottle of wine and a cake to our room. This was much appreciated, however no bottle opener, wine glasses, plate or knife was sent with it. We had to make a number of calls to try and get these items, and eventually the receptionist reluctantly agreed that if we bought the bottle of wine down she would open it for us, but we could not have the bottle opener in the room? We cut the cake with a teaspoon and used toilet paper as plates.
Although none of these issues were major they were ongoing and really affected our enjoyment of our stay.
We had a meal in the Japanese restaurant which we really enjoyed, and used the spa on a couple of occasions, and although I found the surroundings rather 'grey' the massages were good. I especially enjoyed the heated massage table!
I wish we could have experienced the attentive staff that other people mention as the hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: Try for the top floor otherwise you are looking out over roof tops to the beach
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bluesky014,

Firstly we are very glad that you appreciate the hotel very much. It is with much regret that you and spouse have to experience some short comings during your stay with us. I hope we will get another chance to redeem ourselves as this is totally unacceptable by our standards. Please do inform me if you decide to visit Penang again and I can ensure that all these shall not be repeated. However, we are glad to see that you enjoyed the spa most as with our Japanese restaurant. Anyway, please accept our apologies again and we wish you all the best for the year ahead.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Ultimately my wife & I enjoyed our stay at the Lone Pine. It is a small resort type in Air Itam, more used to providing accommodation for those visiting family or functions in the area, but we were made very welcome. It was nice to be asked about frequency of housekeeping and other details. The room was pleasant, and the pool inviting.

On the other hand this place needs some modernisation. The internet is poor; the only good signal was when we were literally the only guests staying. The room decor suggests the early 1980's, although it has been kept serviceable by the staff. A room fridge would be very welcome.

Location is the key issue. The area is not empty, with a supermarket next door, and the local centre no more than 1km away over the rise. It is an easy walk and there is a plethora of local shops, bakeries, cafes etc. But you are a long way from Georgetown. It is possible to manage on the local bus service, which is fairly frequent, but a car is better.

(One further note; if getting a taxi tell them to go to Lone Pine in Air Itam. The address says Penang Hill which is the other side of the area.)

Room Tip: There are no lifts, but there are only two flights of stairs to go up. Obviously it might be harder...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Gorgeous colonial style boutique hotel. The most friendly and attentive staff I have ever encountered and also the best food. The beach is just through a gate wi water sports. We didn't go in the sea because there had been storms for a few days and the water from the mountains had gone straight into the sea making tilt murky. The pool was so tranquil though it didn't matter about the sea. The same staff seemed to remember you each day, which was a nice touch. Don't bother with the night market unless you want rip off bags but do turn right outside the hotel and visit 'I love u cafe'!!
Beautiful rooms with a bath on the balcony. Everything has been thought of to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Also had the best massage I have ever had at the spa (top and toes).
Would go back to this hotel in a shot. Very impressed!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view but ask for a bath. Maybe all rooms have them but I'm not sure
1  Thank Rebecca P

Dear BecksiePhillips,

Well that was what we wish for you too but sadly time just seem to breeze by so fast when you are having a good time. All of us at Lone Pine would like to thank you very much for such a wonderful review. We look forward to your next visit again soon but hopefully it will be a much longer stay with us. We would like to wish you all the best for the year and hope you have a fantastic and blessed festive season. Take care.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

By and far the most relaxing stay and this was our second in two years (same room by choice). It speaks volumes that most of the staff are the same and they renembered my son (James) from our last stay. From the guards to the concierge to the restaurant staff. But especially the reception staff and Carla who baby sat for one evening (plus Feidh, Sue & company). Honourable mention must go to the pool men too.

There is such a great culture there it needs to be bottled. The service is just intuitive, Ruben remembered my tripple shot espresso at breakfast & best of all they now cook Roti at breakfast (which leaves waffles/pancakes for dead). That said my son dragged me over to Khaleel for legit Malay food. I shoud add if you want a western fast food hit, McDonald's is across the road while KFC is on a diagonal. But how can you not relax with a pina colada by the pool with the sound of waves & trees. I can't comment on the sea as the Jelly Fish were around but there is water sports literally metres from the hotel.

The rooms are awesome; Large and airy and the balcony which has a bath - how neat - plus a day bed, chair and table. Best of all it provided a great patform to observe nature's fireworks in the form of thunderstorms. The rooms air con s powerful but the fan is the best bit. If there are several things to make it better it would be knowledge about wine (i am a beer/cocktail man in the tropics but we hosted some guests and ordering a Pinot Noir was funny (sounds like Pina Colarda!)). My other suggestion for the tv is less sport & more family stuff (Nat Geo & HBO for example). As it s hot you do chew through clothes. Across te road from the entrance, a tour company offers a great laundry service at RM$8 per kilogram (washed, dried, folded in 24-hours). This means you can travel lighter!

Don't be afraid of being trapped as there is a free hotel minibus to Straits Quay - where there is aTesco and onto the E&O (Raffles quality without the cost). From the E&O it is easy to get around Georgetown or to shop till you drop. If you miss the bus it is a RM$30-40 Taxi Fare (use the blue cabs - they actually use meters and the cars are newer). My point is that it is easy to get around. That said it can be expensive if your better half discovers Habib the jeweller or in our case, Poh Kong. Men be afraid as the jewellery prices maybe lower but the quality is way higher. I got my revenge by getting two suits tailored up at the Park Royal (Quality Tailors) in Batu Ferringhi. It was RM$1500 for two double breasted suits with two trousers each - a bargain for wool. I should add there is a night market every night at the Lone Pine's main entrance for those wanting unique souvenirs.

Georgetown, indeed Malaysia, has seriously cleaned up its act. When i first visited it was plastic everywhere but in recent years, Malaysia has reduced bag use and a focus on the environment is working.. Even the motorways are free of rubbish. The Gurney Drive Harbourfront in the mid-1990s looked like a tip but today the mudflaps are free of junk and bags. It is a real credit to the State Government of Penang & Malaysians.

Would we go back. Yes in a heartbeat. It is a place you can just unwind at.

Room Tip: Go for the 2nd & 3rd floors. Keep well away from the Batu bar....
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Khoo B, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Broome in Welly,

We are overwhelmed and grateful for receiving such compliments as well as those constructive feed backs and suggestions that you have raised. Likewise it was great seeing and having you and your lovely family back here again. You can be sure all of us misses your son, especially those who were privilege enough to received his generosity of Roti in the morning. We hope that we will again be part of your travelling plans next year. Please stay in touch and we want to wish you and your family a blessed and wonderful festive season ahead.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Would we go back. Yes in a heartbeat. It is a place you can just unwind at.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Broome in Welly,

We are truly over whelmed with such an appreciative and wonderful review. It was really great having you and your family here and all of us at Lone Pine really do miss all of you, especially James. I still can't seemed to get over his level of maturity that really belies his young tender age. The Front Office team have since been a deprived lot as the morning delivery of Roti is no longer available since your departure. We look forward to your next visit again next year. On behalf of everyone, I would like to wish you all the best and that you and family will be blessed forever.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Wonderful, smaller hotel recently renovated. Friendly staff, excellent food quality. The Japanese restaurant is sublime; we enjoy Japanese food but neither of us had tasted such wonderful dishes before (and my husband had just spent two weeks in Japan prior to this trip !). My congratulations to the chef and staff. We ate there every night and were utterly amazed that more residents weren't eating there.

The gym had all the equipment I needed and also was not well used by the residents.

The pool and gardens are extremely well maintained.

The only down side for me was the constant noise of the jet skis and jet boats on the water outside the hotel; it was relentless and in the mornings and evenings there's a lot of revving when they take the boats out and then tuck them away at night which is not conducive to a restful environment. If you can get over that one downside, it is the perfect location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Khoo B, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear MonsterSanders,

Thank you so much for rating as the Best in Batu Feringgi area. We are so glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and most of all your dining experience at Matsu Japanese Restaurant. We have a good team in the kitchen and the chef comes with 25 years of Japanese culinary experience. Unfortunately like you mentioned it has yet to be fully discovered by the residents and the local community. Nevertheless, we are witnessing some improvements especially with the help of good comments and recommendations like yours. We hope you will make your way back from Australia to visit again and we wish you all the best for the year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!