“lone pine review june 12”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
sydney
“lone pine review june 12”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Have just returned home from a wonderful time at the Lone Pine , we are frequent visitors to Batu Ferringhi and have always stayed at the Golden Sands but we walked through the Lone PIne early this year and decided to try this hotel. We sure were happy we did as, for us , it is ideal. We found the staff to be very helpful and attentive especially Selvan at breakfast, he is a real character who goes out of his way to attend to all of your needs. Hisham one of the porters is also very helpful.The ladies at reception were very nice and helpful also.
Loved the pool, the calm atmostphere of the gardens and the room decor was just right to our taste.
We have already booked for next Christmas holidays here and look forward to catching up with our friends at the Lone Pine.

Room Tip: First floor is bset.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maxyboy888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the informal feel of it. It’s small enough to be intimate (many places claim to be ‘boutique’ hotels but this is definitely one.) The staff here are extremely friendly and helpful. It’s also right by the beach and we took a walk along the beach one day and experienced some of the watersports on offer. It is however not a private beach but it’s safe and we got minimal hassle.

We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor of the block facing the pool and beach. We loved the plunge pool we had on the balcony. It’s lovely having a warm soak while listening to the waves crashing on the beach.

The pool is cleaned every morning but by the end of the day, there are small leaves, etc from the trees sheltering the pool. We didn’t mind as they weren’t dirty – also it was nice to have those trees as the sun in Penang can be extremely hot.

The shuttle bus to the E&O hotel was really good as it takes you from Batu Ferringhi to Goergetown (the historic centre). It would be great if it ran more often.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

I would have rated the hotel a 5 star but for a few of things:
- we stayed there for 5 days and it would have been good if they had changed the sheets at least on alternate days or more often. I’m sure we could have asked I guess.
- you get 2 bottles of water and 4 cans of soft drinks (daily) but we never know when they fill the fridge up, so if you miss the schedule and you haven’t used your drinks, they don’t put any extras in addition to what is already there.
- we didn’t have any shower gel in the room but found some on the housekeeping trolley on our last day. Maybe these should be issued as standard, instead of having the horrible smelling aftersun.
- the a la carte food in the hotel is not of great quality although the complimentary dinner in the Japanese restaurant was a nice touch. Breakfast food is great though!
- we decided to have cocktails in the BatuBar but they had run out of some fruit juices, so I only managed to get a cocktail after several tries.

But all in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

A few tips about Batu Ferringhi:
- this is a long stretch of road about 30-45 mins drive from Georgetown: not that close if you want to spend a lot of time in the historic centre
- we found it difficult to find a nice local place for lunch without going too far from the hotel. Things only come alive in the evening.
- the night market along the road is a huge nuisance as they take up the whole of the pavement and you have to either walk through the busy stalls or on the busy road!
- The hawker stalls next to the hotel is worth a try. Great and cheap street food.

1 Thank JeCCTn
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

My Husband and I booked the Lone Pine as a spur of the moment decision when sitting with our travel agent and we were not disappointment. This place is amazing. On arrival we received a welcome drink and friendly prompt service. We had a deluxe room which is superb, huge shower head, king bed, large balcony with beautiful view of the gardens and beach. We were unsure of breakfast after reading other reviews but it catered for everyone and staff where very prompt and friendly…what more can you ask for.

The pool area is lovely and pool snacks were great especially the chicken satay skewers, the peanut sauce was the best we had on our trip. We actually didn’t eat dinner at the hotel as we were only here 4 nights and wanted to try some local restaurants. Night markets are right outside the hotel every night which is fun when walking back from dinner. The hotel isn’t as big as other ones in the area but it is definitely the best. The hotel has retained its history and added a modern touch. If you are into history catch the free shuttle to the sister hotel The E&O in Georgetown. We look forward to returning to the Lone Pine.

1 Thank newicouple
hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

we stayed at the grand premier suite for our family holiday ... the room is located in a 2-floor building and is well layout with 2 spacious en suites ... everyday we woke up with a nice beach view ... the open green & interior design is very nice ... on top of that, the concierge staff are very attentive & polite ..

however, there are still rooms for improvement to have made our stay value-for-money:
1/ housekeeping - it's a basic for every hotel to provide clean towels .. however, the first day we checked in, found a face towel with stain and subsequently, floor mats ....
2/ housekeeping - the amenities such as cotton balls & tissue paper were not being replenished not daily but the whole stay
3/ housekeeping - we were busy doing the mosquito 'control' in the suite the first day we checked in ...
4/ ventilation - we woke up with the whole suite being filled with oil smell ... it's like we were inside the kitchen ... hotel was friendly enough to have put the ioniser but the smell didn't go away until late afternoon
5/ room facilities - wi-fi wasn't working until calling for another router to be put in the room
6/ room facilities - should equip with each washing basin a rubbish bin & face tissue box

all in all, the hardware of the hotel is fantastic ...
thanks again for mr khoo & the staff trying to make our stay more enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ilovetravel-2010
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is a delayed review that I have emailed to the GM of Lone Pine and he has responded kindly.. The review below will give the overall experience I had at LonePine. There were some hits and misses. But overall, we had a great getaway.

As I write this, I am in the comfort of the Premier room. It is just perfect for my family.
Appreciate the arrangement of the interconnecting rooms as I am traveling with 2 young kids. Your team at reservations did a good job attending to my requests.

The last 3 days have been great.. This is the kind of boutique hotel that we enjoy being at rather than any of the Big brand names.. We love the environment, the quaintness of the resort and the vast space that my kids can just run around. However, there are a couple of "misses" that I feel I should let u know

1) We checked in close to midnight on the 3 Dec, the lady at the front desk did not wear her name tag, and I think her name is Denise. As it was late and we were all tired.. I was annoyed at the fact that she had to calculate my total bill and got me to confirm the amount when my brain was not really working already. 2ndly, I had to ask her if she was going to take us to our rooms as she handed me the keys without even offering any assistance.. There was no bellboy to help us with our luggage so we decided to handle it on our own. She could have informed me that we had to take a flight of stairs... My husband had to carry a big luggage that was packed for the whole family and it was heavy.. Personally, I feel that she had quite a "care-less" attitude and I did not expect that from Lonepine.

2) Our package includes dinner at Matsu and no voucher was provided upon check in. I am aware that we checked in late. I think the Front Desk could have been more attentive about informing me of the activities at Lonepine..

3) I was not informed that shuttle service had to be booked. Thank goodness Mr Ismail accommodated us and made arrangements for us to go to E&O despite the shuttle being full

4) I was also not informed that the cooking session was at 730am. I was really looking forward to this event. But missed it too as it had alrdy started when I saw the group from the window of my room.

5) Service at breakfast could have been better too. Food could have been replenished faster as very often the trays were quite empty. The service staff could have been more attentive

I know it was a busy weekend as there were 2 weddings and I appreciate the letter from the hotel to inform us. But, I feel that the service standards could be improved. The reason why we prefer to stay at boutique hotel is to feel the sense of home away from home. The development is great.. Just wished that the staff at the resort were more friendly and hospitable.

There were a few staff that I like to compliment though.. Selvam from the bungalow, the housekeeping lady that took care of our rooms and sending us our cupcakes.. She was nice to my kids. And Freddie from the front office that provided us some information abt Penang. Also your accounts manager, a lady that apologies on the night that we did not get our Matsu voucher that caused some difficulty when trying to make reservation.

With the above mentioned, we will stay at Lonepine again when we are in Penang :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice already and I would be happy to return again. The resort is really lovely and the rooms are spacious. Internet and breakfast were included in my room rate both times. I was looking for a quiet beach front location with nice gym facilities. I wasn't disappointed. The first time I stayed at this hotel, I spent a good deal of time at the pool. I was a little disappointed that the wading pool was out of commission on my second visit. I didn't plan to wade, but it was a bit of an eye sore to see orange tape fencing off the space.

The rooms were very comfortable with modern decorations and elegant touches of color. The best part of both rooms were the bathroom/shower facilities. The shower was very spacious in both rooms. The gym was small but adequate for vacation usage. There was a water machine and towels in the gym, in addition to shower facilities. I didn't try out the spa, because it was fully booked whenever I tried to make an appointment.

I tried the sushi restaurant at the hotel one night. It was a nice venue, but the sushi was only so-so. Fortunately, the hotel breakfast was much better. There was an omelette station and a number of asian and western options on the buffet. My only tiny complaint was that the service wasn't great during the breakfast rush and the staff was very slow to bring coffee or tea.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
MarcoGB, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Wandering03,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I am sure everything is well and the month of June is proceeding positively for you and your family.

First and foremost, thank you for your positive comments of our staff, rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor.

I certainly appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your dissatisfaction with regards to the below par F&B service you experienced at The Bungalow during your stay with us.

I regret that as a guest, you did not receive the level of service you certainly expect from us and I certainly apologize for this unacceptable experience.

Together with my Team, I will take the necessary steps to correct such negative performances.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

KHOO BOO LIM
Executive Assistant Manager
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed three nights, but would have liked more. We considered going back to the big resorts we had previously stayed at , but decided to give this one a go. So glad we did. The place is comparatively small and so never felt crowded. We actually went to dinner at the Golden Sands next door and the crowds that were walking around the gardens and hanging around the pool made us glad we chose to stay at Lone Pine. Apart from breakfast which was more than adequate (but not the massive spread you might get at bigger resorts) we did not eat at the hotel, but found food very cheaply not far outside. Rooms were huge with great views of the ocean. Very much enjoyed our stay here.

1 Thank Ray3149
MarcoGB, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Ray3149,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest during your visit to Penang and I trust you had a safe and pleasant trip back home.

Thank you for your positive comments of our room and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all of us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

KHOO BOO LIM
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,390 reviews

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!