“Great Hotel (if Maintained Better)”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've stayed in Lone Pine twice, once in March 2011 and once in Jan 2012. The first stay was absolutely amazing. The room was spotless and the pool area was clean and tidy. It was totally worth the 5-start rate. I even forgave them for the construction noise that woke me up in the morning.That was why I decided to spend a pretty high rate again to enjoy the comfort I had experienced before.
The second time, however, I was disappointed. The room was not mopped and dusted. The complimentary mini bar was not as good and varied as before. And the staff were simply polite, and not friendly. They didn't seem to be enjoying their job. The pool was not clean, and the water was a bit murky, with many tree leaves floating around. I couldn't convince myself to jump in the pool, so I ended up sitting next to the pool with my feet in the water. Since it's usually not safe to swim in the sea in Penang, due to jelly fish in most seasons, a clean pool with clear water is essential. What's worse, the small lawn next to the pool had muddy patches, and was closed using tapes and ropes, ruining the view in The Bungalow (the main restaurant).
To sum up, Lone Pine can still be one of the best hotels in Batu Ferringhi ONLY if they maintain it better. I personally won't stay there next time, because I don't want to risk spending a weekend getaway frustrated, and desperate for a dip in a clear cooling pool under the sunny skies of Penang.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far corners are quieter as they're away from the wedding reception area.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maryam S
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Maryam S,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I am sure everything is well and the month of May is proceeding positively for you and your family.

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor the terrible inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us; for which I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I really appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your deep dissatisfaction in regards our level of service and the way we have failed you during your stay with us.

I do apologize for our lapses in regard to our Housekeeping services; certainly without any reservation. Together with my Team, I will make sure that such below par experience does not happen again and will take the necessary steps to correct such negative performances.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves and that these unfortunate incidents will not deter you from visiting Penang and indeed our property again in the not too distant future.

MARCO G. BATTISTOTTI

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed April 23, 2012

What can I say this hote is beautiful, thoughtfully designed and furnished to a high spec. For the money I would suggest staying here over the chain resorts in the area so you can experience some old fashioned charm.

Rooms are simply stunning and finished to an exceptional standard. Bathroom is one of the best I have ever used. A particularly nice touch to the room is the bath on the balcony (private and screened I should add!!), which was such a pleasent way to end a day chilling on the beach.

Breakfast is great, location can't be faulted and the pool area is very relaxing.

My only niggle (which is a small one) were a few of the hotel staff, some of who were very rude. We are on the younger end of the clientle and found a few of the staff to be very condescending towards us and in complete disbelief that we were actually guests of the hotel. This issue occured frequently when using the pool area where unlike other guests we were required to continually produce our key cards and reitterate which room we were staying in before being allowed access to the pool, towels and to order drinks. All of us our professionals with personal incomes and found this to be extremely insulting, I also think long run this sort of service for what would have been a faultless stay could and would put of guests from rebooking here on future visits. That said I don't believe in letting one or two rude people ruin an expereince and would still reccommend this hotel as a peaceful, relaxing escape despite the rudeness.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear MiddleM,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for your positive comments of our staffs, our rooms and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

I certainly appreciate the care, time and interest you have taken to highlight on the unacceptable manner shown by our Housekeeping Associates you encountered at the pool area during your stay with us.

I do apologize for what happened and your valid points have been discussed upon by my Team at great length.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

So glad I stayed here and not a high rise. Room was spacious. Staff friendly and good service. Very cute little box of cakes each night on the bed when returning from running the nightly gauntlet of the marketss! Breakfasts were nice. Being an older resort it has character and is really very charming. Plantation shutters on our balcony overlooking the ocean. Location is great. I'm a little late posting this review but found myself wishing I could go back. Also if you book in advance you can get a good deal on their website.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the restaurant with a balcony with shutters seem nicer than the ones overlooking...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank FreganTravels
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear PacificGirl17,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I am sure everything is well and the month of April is proceeding positively for you and your family.

It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest during your visit to Penang and I trust you had a safe and pleasant trip back home.

Thank you for your positive comments of our room, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all of us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just not as good as the E&O in Penang. We stayed here one night only after 4 nights at the E&O and went right back to the E&O for the rest of our time. Why? Well.....
The hotel is modern and clean, but it's a fine line between boutique and a bit cheap, the lone pine verged on the latter in the room we had.
We were in a ground floor room and although there was a large security presence, the ground floor location with ultimately only a glass door to separate you from the outside left me feeling a little vulnerable during the night. The outer shutters could have been easily opened. And the area was easily accessible fbrom the beach.
There was a wedding do on when we were there, but it really was not a problem and finished early.
The hotel is near the main street and there is a market on most nights which is good, but the beach was full of chaps hassling you as soon as you walked out the back of the hotel for jet skis and such.
The bungalow breakfast and dinner were not quite up to par, the other 2 restaurants were deserted when we passed at 10pm.
No doubt some people really like the lone pine, but for us it was back to the E&O!

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Tom M

Dear Tom M,

Reviewed April 18, 2012

The place location was good as it is in the middle of Feringghi town and easy for us to walk to the night market and others restaurant and bar nearby. The room was good and comfortable for 4 people easily. The bathroom is hug with seperated shower and WC and bathtub.
The room is equipped with free WiFi so for business travellers it will fit them nicely. The only down part about the room we booked there is no working table ( but we are on leisure so it doesn't play a part much)
Breakfast was okay not really bad and not really good. As I'm working with hotel industry for 12 years I believe the hotel can do more with the breakfast selection. But the good part sitting on the terrace overlooking the pool in the morning is a great way to enjoy your breakfast.
We ordered a few cocktail at night and the service staff was friendly and courteous to send our drink to Lepak Corner while we playing congkak at nite.
The hotel decor look charming and beautiful at night and its transform the whole hotel outlook. Recommended for people who love travel in group and enjoy weekend with friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Azmanx

Dear Azmanx,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

First and foremost, thank you for your positive comments of our staff, rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Unless you are naturalist and want to go for a camping trip filled with ANTS in your bed, ANTS around your TV, ANTS in every corner of the room and dead ANTS in your cupboard (picture attached), I highly suggest going elsewhere.

Perhaps it was the room we were staying - 123, but we gave many opportunities for the hotel to rectify this.

Instead of giving us a new room (we did not suggest this as we wanted to see what a "5 star" hotel response would be) this was their solution:

1. Provide us with a Baygon spray to DIY.

2. After contact the GM (Marco Battistotti), who referred our problem to the duty manager (who was very nice and apologetic I might add), they dutifully provided us with a fruit basket, half of which were unripe. Perhaps this was part of the DIY solution, doubling as ant bait!

These are some of the other problems of this "5-star" hotel:

1. Inadequate house cleaning staff meaning they were overworked trying to clean all the rooms in time. We felt sorry for them but we had to prompt them to clean our rooms several times before 4pm as our 14 month old needed the room again for her afternoon nap. Take this into consideration if you or your littles ones need an afternoon nap.

2. WiFi not accessible in our room which I needed for my work. Speaking to the front desk, again their solution instead of giving us another room was just to inform me that it was because of a weak signal (as if I did not know that already), and that I could come downstairs to use the wifi in the lobby. I'm quite sure when I made the booking, it said WiFi in the rooms.... obviously not!

3. "Daily fruit" is literally 2 fruits maximum, 1 fruit minimum. Imagine going to a 5 star hotel, and you are greeted upon arrival of a fruit platter consisting of one unripe star fruit and one water apple. And if you leave your unripe star fruit there, the staff will not replenish or change it because it meets the 1 fruit minimum "daily fruit" quota.

4. Inattentive staff during breakfast. We were offered coffee or tea at the END of our breakfast twice and one time not even offered coffee or tea.

5. Fixings that were broken and required a DIY solution (picture attached). The automatic off switch for the cupboard in the day room was broken and would flicker in the night at the annoyance of my 14 month old. Again instead of offering us a new room, they allowed the problem to be rectified by myself. Last time I checked, this was meant to be a holiday and not an episode of the Renovators!

6. Printer at the office broken and service to fix it slow. I tried to use it to print my ticket the day before and being unable to use it, tried to contact someone who could help me. I was told to wait, and wait I did with a stopwatch. Nearly half an hour! And it wasn't exactly the busiest time of the day. In fact, there was hardly anyone else there except me sitting on the duty manager's desk just waiting for the problem to be fixed. All I wanted was to print out a ticket and a simple offerance to use their printer instead would have been all that was required.

7. And don't even get me started on the games room and the need to pay to use the pool table and Foosball table. I mean seriously, have I not paid enough???

Or maybe it's perhaps we bought the cheapest room? Well NO! We got the "Deluxe suite" which I must have misread to be the "Deluxe" DIY Ant Farm. We paid $870 night for 5 star service and got 3 stars instead. I minused off another star for their blatant lack of recognition that they are NOT a 5 star hotel and SHOULD NOT be charging 5 star rack rates.

I'm sure the general manager's reply on Trip Advisor will be apologetic, but his apology will not be accepted because we gave an opportunity for the hotel to rectify their problem on Day 2 by contacting Marco Battistotti (general manager) and their response was inadequate for a 5 star hotel. We will get nothing from this experience except being out of pocket $3547.30 for a 2 star experience.

Stay away from this hotel, especially room 123, unless you want a camping trip and DIY adventure!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 123! Avoid Room with Ants! In fact, just avoid Lone Pine!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank minutoshi
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear minutoshi,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I trust the journey back home was indeed a pleasant one and everything is well in Melbourne.

Thank You for both communicating with me whilst here at the Lone Pine Hotel and indeed via TripAdvisor.

Your detailed and, at times certainly entertaining feedback does not certainly detract from the inconvenience your family & you experienced but explains quite decisively what happened during your sojourn at the property.

I really appreciate that, like for our guests comments - irrespective if done to praise or highlight a negative experience - we will utilize it to make sure that the next guest staying in room 123 will have an enjoyable and rewarding stay

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and two teenage daughters and I stayed at Lone Pine, along with three other couples. We had the garden room, in it's own separate block to the left of the function room and pool. We had uninterrupted views direct to the beach. Our friends all had a single studio, with a private bath on the balcony, on the second floor overlooking the pool. Our room was spacious enough for four, the bathroom was massive (enough mirrors for three women!!) as was the bathtub! Hot water from the rainfall shower head was plentiful. Towels and bedding changed and replaced promptly by unobtrusive and smiling staff. We had absolute peace and quiet, even though there were functions in the function room including a wedding on the lawn. The hotel notified us all well in advance of the function so we could choose to be out if we thought the function would disturb, but it did not impinge on our peace. Our breakfasts were ample and the choices were great. We ate at the Japanese restaurant, which was stylish with food of the highest quality. Quiet walks on the beach each morning, walking across the road to the numerous restaurants (try the lemon sorbet at Lebanon), visiting the bars and walking among the market stalls - who could ask for more! The gardens were peaceful and shady, pool lounges were plentiful, towels were soft and clean, the pool was fantastic. The theme of the hotel was old world, with white shutters to all windows, wooden polished floors, white walls, ceiling fans (a welcome change from just airconditioning), terracotta paving, with breezy and open reception areas, inviting sitting/chatting areas around the hotel grounds and hammocks slung from the trees directly outside the garden wing. Would most definitely stay again! Ideal destination for families even with teens, who are looking for some rest and recreation. Beach activities including watersports and massages (yes we all tried Mr Foo) readily available along the beach outside the hotel, without the pressurised hard sell of Bali. A great destination (was nice and quiet in 1991 and 1993 when we last visited and it's charm has been retained).

Room Tip: We had the garden suite room 811, two queen beds. Spacious and roomy enough for two teens and two a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IFeet
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear IFeet,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for your positive comments of our staffs, our rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
7 mi away
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!