“Indifferent Front desk”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Lone Pine has gorgeous rooms but it is let down by a very indifferent front desk. When I asked for help from the front desk, the guy at the front desk looks at you blank, never once saying " I shall check Sir" or "Good Morning Sir". I have to ask him if he understood the instructions or question. Then he sits there without making eye contact and you wonder if he is ignoring you or attending to your enquiry.

What a pity that a physically attractive hotel is let down by the front desk staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank azianKualalumpur

Reviewed September 4, 2011

When we reached the hotel, there were a group of Harley Davidson bikers arrived too. All the lobby attendants were busy looking at the bikes and bikers without noticing our arrival at all! My hubby had to unload 2 big luggages and a few bags from our car and walked to the lobby. No one helped him and he had to do by himself and we had the feeling that my hubby was the portal working there! We waited for 45 minutes and our grand deluxe suite was not ready. While we were waiting we found out that there were some guests arrived later than us were served welcome drinks but we were still sitting without any welcome drink! By then I went to the attendant and told him if they didn't have the suite ready for my family I would just walked away! He quickly went and checked it out. Came back to us and said the room is ready but not the separate living area. So we were only able to use the room until another 1 hour (by then already almost 5pm!) to use the living area! After all these bad experiences we just concluded that we couldn't depend on their service... We just enjoyed ourselves in the bath tub at the balcony and swimming pool. Breakfast had varieties of local food but not tasty. When I called and wanted to order the special durian cake that the hotel restaurant promoted in their room brochure, they said this cake needed 24 hours in advance order. I wonder how the 24 hours in advance policy works? The location is very good, extremely poor service, average food, below average cleanliness. If you would to spend such rate in Lone Pine, I would recommend Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa or Hard Rock Hotel (King Suite only).

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank ok_xin
Reviewed August 30, 2011

firstly catch a taxi - its a long taxi ride but just order it at the airport. the hotel charges a small fortune. free complimentary mocktail by the pool was nice and unexpected. Pool was a bit too cool though. dont know whether its a heated pool or it depends on the heat from the sun but we were reluctant to go in or stay in for too long. sounds picky as i know its hot and humid but in Langkawi at Pelangi Meritus the pool was perfect even at night. I also think the pool closes too early at 8pm. there were couple of nights when came home from sweaty night markets and just wanted to jump in the pool but it was closed. At Meritus its open till 11pm. I understand lone pine doesnt want any noise but I think a 10pm close is fine. There is a taxi rack right outside it you want to go to penang hill. Or if you want to go to georgetown just catch a bus at the bus stop right outside too (101 bus I think - about 5 MYR for 2 people - just watch your valuables) When you go outside resort turn right and walk along the street for short distance to all the night markerts and a lovely little bar on the beach called BORA BORA. Also great food at Jewel or the North. The bath tub outside is great. The breakfast is fine. Its a very clean and nice little resort. Very well maintained. Staff are friendly. The rooms are clean and new. A few tiny Ants around. I dont think Ive ever seen ants so small. Overall, Id say here again just be nice to get the pool open later and make it a little bit warmer.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

Dear Onlyfools24,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

On behalf of everyone at the hotel, I would like to extend our sincere appreciation for taking your precious time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

All of us here are so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us however I understand that there were certain issues that did not meet your expectations. We have seriously taken note of this and will take immediate action to improve those shortcomings. We do appreciate such constructive comments as it will only further motivate us to strive harder to provide a higher level in the service industry.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I am writing this as I'm now staying at Lone Pine hotel. If you are light sleeper or a family with kids, I wouldn't recommend Lone Pine as the sound proofing of the rooms is very bad. There is a Malaysian independence day celebration right now at their Batu Bar and I can hear every techno music they are playing and I can hear guests as they are cheering. There is a window that is made of just louvered wood at the balcony of the room and I guess that's where all the noise comes in. The front desk was kind enough to tell the DJ to tone down when I called them at 12:00am but this is unacceptable as I had paid good money to have a nice holiday and not have my sleep disrupted. So, please if you are looking forward to a nice quiet vacation, don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank msialeong

Dear msialeong,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback that we have received through Trip Advisor.

Please allow us to take this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your recent stay at the hotel. We have taken note of our short comings and have taken all the necessary actions to ensure that we improve on this aspect. It is through valuable comments and feedback from guest like your good-self that constantly motivate us to work harder and improve our services and raise the standards of the hotel.

Lone Pine Hotel always strived to achieve a long and mutual satisfying relationship with all our guests so we hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Once again a sincere word of thanks and wish you and your family a great week ahead.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

Our stay at Lone Pine was a relaxing experience. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in Premier Garden Room which is on the ground floor and very convenient, with large shutters that opened up to a great view.Location was good(right on the beach) and close to night markets and food, although the hawker food in Ferringhi was a very small selection and quite westernised so we got a cab to Gerney drive where the food was so much better and the selection huge.That was probably my only negative about Ferringhi beach, the choice of food was minimal and catered to western palates. I would definately stay at Lone Pine again as It is much smaller than other hotels in the Area which I prefer

Room Tip: Premier Garden(sea view)
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lexyAustralia

Dear lexyAustralia,

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We're staying here for a period of 3 nights and as I write this we're still at the hotel. Reason? The dreary weather! It has been raining intermittently for the past 48 hours since we reached here. We got a sea facing room and the room itself is simply fantastic. We wonder why more hotels don't place fans in their rooms as this is a very nice touch.
Service upon check in was great and the staff were very helpful overall. However, the F&B at The Bungalow requires some improvements. Breakfast service could be improved by ensuring food served are not past their expiry date. We were about to tuck into our yogurt when we realised that they had expired 3 days ago. When we informed the restaurant, the staff nonchalantly took the yogurt and just said 'thank you' and walked away. Offering us an alternative would have been a nicer touch, considering the hotel is one from the higher end. We hope to enjoy the rest of our stay here.

Room Tip: Enquire if there are any garden weddings scheduled to ensure some peace and quiet during your stay.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Travel_Pooh68,

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed from 21 to 24 August 2011 and must say that the Lone Pine Hotel website does not do justice to the reality of the hotel (my apologies to the Marketing Department for saying so)!

The moment we arrived, we just KNEW we had made the right choice. From the understated charm of the architecture to the friendly-but-not-fake hositality of the staff, the bright, cheery, spacious and very well thought-out rooms, the more-than-adequate breakfast buffet, the large and clean swimming pool, the gorgeous beach front... Everything consipired to make this the perfect holiday!

There is a convenient shuttle into town (to the sister E&O Hotel), and lovely little touches like the turn down gift of a box of freshly baked mini cupcakes added to the positive experience.

The very comfortable beds and pillows ensured very restful nights and delicious mid-morning and mid-afternoon naps! The day bed in the balcony of our Deluxe Room was also very good, and we spent many hours reading there on the occassional rainy day we were there.

The only thing I found a bit wasteful was the sunken bath tub also located in the balcony. Being out there, there was no way to soak in the tub without being seen by outsiders! Nice idea, but not very practical.

We would definitely be back the next time we are in Penang!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Amy1909,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I trust that the week has been wonderful and productive for you and your family. It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all of us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

The hospitality industry is indeed challenging but most fulfilling when we have a guest like you expressing your satisfaction to the whole world and pledging to return and visit us.

Please rest assured that your comments have been acknowledged by the management of Lone Pine Hotel and have been duly passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!