“Good laid back resort style hotel”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Spent 5 days here. We were in the new wing and were warned upfront that there was going to be a wedding on one day and our room was overlooking the canopy where the wedding was held. It turned out the wedding was not an issue, the noise was acceptable most of the late afternoon through to the night and they stopped around 10.30pm.

Like:
1. Lovely newish modern building and garden. Very well laid out and clean.
2. Lovely pool area, nice, cool and very laid back and we had no problems getting deckchairs as the pool area was never crowded. Sufficient umbrella covers and also sun as required.
3. Room was spacious, bathroom was modern; looked like the "new wing" was built or renovated quite recently. Really can't fault this, it was a very good acceptable standard.
4. The night market was literally outside the hotel gate
5. Low noise level generally in the room and around the hotel, once a loud noise like that of a jackhammer was heard from our room around 9 at night for about 20 mins but that soon stopped
6. Good gym with good facilites.
7. Free Wifi in room

Dislike:
1. Alarm went off in the afternoon 2 days in a row and and it penetrated our room with very loud high pitched screeching noise, I rang the reception and housekeeping and asked if it was a test or if we had to evacuate the building and the answers given were "they were doing a trial run" to "We will get back to you". Confusion reigned for a while and communication to guests not forthcoming.
2. lots of flies in the dining room where we had breakfast and lunch. The flies were determined to get to your food. This was truely a downside to staying here
3. Service generally were laid back and especially at the pool area, noone came to ask if you wanted a drink and when you ordered one from one of the passing waiting staff you had to wait a long long time before drinks came.
4. Breakfast area was spacious and open but breakfast is very average, could do with some improvement here

Food: Breakfast was included in our rates but have to rate this very very average. We had cheap nice dinners (hawker type food) at the Long Beach Hawker, a guesstimate, about 500m from the hotel.

Conclusion: Pluses overwhelmed the minuses here and this is a very good hotel in BFarea. Will definitely stay at this hotel if we visit Penang again. The flies are a bit of a put off if not for this I will say this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BlueLagoon99
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Dear BlueLagoon99,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I trust the month of June is proceeding positively and everything is all well for you and your family.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback in Tripadvisor and for choosing Lone Pine Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Penang.

All of us here are delighted to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay with us. We are also very appreciative about your comments on our ambience, environment and some of our hotel facilities that have obviously met or exceeded your expectations. However, please allow us to take this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies on the shortfalls with reference to the alarm issue and the services and quality from our Food & Beverage Department. Indeed we have been having some technical issues with the alarm system however our contractor has already managed to rectify it. As for the flies, we have taken all measures to keep our place as clean as possible but we do face a big challenge from our neighbouring area where I can’t say so as it is a public space. We’ve already written and filed our complains to the authorities and even volunteered to offer our services to clean the place up at our cost. We do indeed have a big challenge as our restaurant is an open styled one but we will keep on doing our best to prevent these flies from “invading” our space.

Anyway we really appreciate your honest feedback, for we definitely believe that with such valuable comments and feedback from guest like your good-self, it will only motivate us to work harder and improve our services so that we are able to raise the overall standards of the hotel.

If I can ever be of any assistance to service to you again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at marco.battistotti@e-o-hotel.com. I do look forward to welcoming you back again to Lone Pine Hotel!

Reviewed June 20, 2011

It was such a wonderful experience in Lone Pine. The place was newly renovated and we felt so relaxed & rested while we were there. Plenty of deck chairs around the garden and yard and the beach was a few steps away from our room. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Food in Lone Pine was yummy too!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ABeh
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Dear ABeh,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I trust that the week has been wonderful and productive for you and your family. It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

The hospitality industry is indeed challenging but most fulfilling when we have a guest like you expressing your satisfaction to the whole world and pledging to return and visit us.

Please rest assured that your comments have been acknowledged by the management of Lone Pine Hotel and have been duly passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

We agonized over where to spend a short 4-day stay in Penang. There are a lot of choices, and Lone Pine ended up being perfect for our needs. The setting is tranquil, the room was large, clean and well appointed, and the staff was very helpful.

We stayed in the part of the hotel that is on one floor and has a seating area you can open up the French doors to view the lawn, hammocks and water just beyond the room. I loved the bathroom area as there are two sinks separated by a door for the bathroom housing a very deep, luxurious tub, a large standing shower and toilet. The sinks had plenty of counter space and had closets behind them which we split as his/hers.

We tried the hotel restaurants and found them to be mediocre, and thankfully there were other restaurants to choose from at neighboring hotels within walking distance that had a wider selection of food to meet our requirements.

I had a facial at the spa and enjoyed it. The times can book up quickly, especially if there's an event, so be sure to book time before you think you want a slot. The gym was clean and had brand new equipment.

The Shangri-La has two properties next to Lone Pine: the first one you come to (walking from Lone Pine) is very kid-friendly; tons of play gym things on the property and several restaurants. The second Shangri-La is much more of a business hotel, with a fantastic multi-cuisine restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear NomadGrrrl,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

On behalf of everyone at the hotel, I would like to extend our sincere appreciation for taking your precious time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

All of us here are so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us however I understand that there were certain issues that did not meet your expectations. We have seriously taken note of this and will take immediate action to improve those shortcomings. We do appreciate such constructive comments as it will only further motivate us to strive harder to provide a higher level in the service industry.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have just finished reading some of the negative comments and they seem mostly focused on the noise created by certain major functions they recently hosted. When we arrived they were packing up the marquee and so we missed that and therefore would recommend future travellers call in advance to see if the hotel is hosting a party. If not, your stay will be amazing.

Its fabulous, clean, calm, very friendly and enjoyable. Our sea view delux room had an outside hot tub, the lighting was excellent and the bathroom top notch.

The food was excellent with a very good breakfast, reminiscent of The Shangri La in KL.

Great location with a good/slightly better than average beach (although like other hotels in this location, not private).

Fun excursions to Monkey Island and free shuttles in their mini van to E&O in Georgetown.

The location, facilities and staff are a great combination and will make your stay here in Penang sublime.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Andrew S
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear AndySoye,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

I am indeed delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful and satisfying stay with us. All of us here greatly appreciate your comments, as it’s always a pleasure to know that we have met or exceeded our guests’ expectations.

Please be assured that your comments have been acknowledged by the management of Lone Pine Hotel and passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff in recognition of their hard work and dedication in the hospitality industry.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as fulfilling and enjoyable.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I had a wonderful three night stay here in the beginning of May. The hotel is gorgeous and the setting serene...to a point. I might as well point about the drawbacks first, as I think the negative reviews are appropriate. My room overlooked the gardens and every day they were setting up for a big wedding that was happening a day after I left. There was a letter from management that a party would be happening until 11, but other reviews indicate this would have been later. If I had been there that night I would have also thrown a fit. The rooms are 10-20 meters from the party location. One other drawback is that staff are constantly gardening with loud, gas-powered blowers. Seriously, every single day. Very annoying.

Even with those concerns, though, I really loved this place. I got the deluxe room which has a random little extra room with day bed and it was wonderful to be able to lie in there and read a book with the screen door window open and listening to the waves. My room was clean and well-stocked though I did have to call one day from them to clean it since it wasn't done at 3 pm.

I look forward to returning, though I don't know how I'll time it so there are no parties. That's an absolute deal breaker. And since I'm American, I won't be lucky enough to be invited to a wedding there and not mind the noise.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden ONLY when no parties
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nm_from_sf
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Dear Nm_from_sf,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

All of us here are so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us however I understand that there was a certain issue that did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of this and will take necessary steps to advice our guests of any upcoming events. Anyway, we do appreciate such constructive comments as it will only further motivate us to strive harder to provide a higher level in the service industry. Or maybe perhaps the next time you stay at our property and a wedding is on, we will convince the bride and groom who would be happy to extend an invitation for you. :)

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I had to finish some work in Penang and i was having a hard time looking for a Hotel there since it was a school holiday season. Then i remembered Lone Pine. The last time i wanted to stay there it was closed for renovation. I also read the really poor reviews about it which also took me by surprise since it was affiliated with the Eastern & Oriental hotel. Since Lone Pine is now open after her extensive renovation works i then decided to give it a try. When i called ...one of the receptionist then told me that they were fully booked on the dates i requested. Then i decided to check out the internet rates ( Trying my luck) and it was available but i was a little confused on the rates offered before and after tax so i decided to call again this time regarding the rates, unfortunately the receptionist was not able to attend to my question which was rather complex i don't blame him, he then transfered my call to the Manager on duty Casey, she helped me out with my reservation and i was all set to go. On my arrival day we were early and i understood that check in time was at 3pm its was also stated on my reservation confirmation i was early because i had to check out from the first hotel we stayed... we arrived at around 2pm ish, we were greeted and attended to one of the funkiest, stylish and sophisticated receptionist by the name of Tasha i hope i got her name right, Casey was also there and both of them were really cool and friendly loved talking to them. We then went for a our beach walk and got a call from Mr Shiva from concierge telling us that our room was ready and our bags were already placed in the room. we then hurried back in excitement. Once back at the lobby Shiva actually escorted us to our room and he really took time to explain the services and facilities which was provided by the hotel. I fell in love with the room, i should say it wasn't only renovation but also conservation every detail of the hotel was preserved it was exactly like in her glorious days. This time i should say the hotel is prepared for the future in time. From state of the art in room entertainment, air conditioning , the high ceiling, the absolutely fabulous ambiance lighting, the avant-garde design of the room and the spacious bathroom, not to mention the private plunge pool located on the balcony oh my god! It was amazing! I saw 2 mugs in the mini bar and was wondering if it was for sale and so i when down to the reception and i was attended by Eric and he told me that i could purchase it over at the hotel's shop which was located right across the swimming pool called 'Gerai'. Gerai is located in a Bungalow it is also one of the hotels food and beverage outlet also simply named as The Bunglow and breakfast was also served there. The Gerai lets you purchase the Lone Pine branded items. But then i was also looking for the Pens, the pens by Lone Pine are really cool and it is also recycled, i went back to see Eric and asked him where i can find the pens since there were not selling it at the Gerai, Eric then called housekeeping to deliver some extra Pens for me he also did a follow up call to check if i've received the pens. I should say he was very professional. On our departure day, check out was smooth Tasha was also the one who attended to our check out. Casey was also there once again i should say they represent Lone Pine IN STYLE. To the management....you need these people. KEEP THEM!!!! My overall experience was amazing! I should say it was a little busy with kids running around the place, and the swimming pool was constantly busy, but who needs it if you have one right in the privacy of your own room!!!! Thanks people i had an amazing stay! I hope to be there again sometime soon....and to those Trip Advisors who gave Lone Pine a bad review....well too bad you were there before the renovation....you should cut some slacks and make your way down to Lone Pine this time round....you'll be mesmerized!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Dear LessPretentious,

Reviewed June 9, 2011

this is a fine example of how the profit motive overrides obligations to the customers, the most basic of which is to provide a place of rest. lone pine has totally failed in that objective. on the day we arrived we sensed trouble because the sound system was being tested. the front desk told us that the noise would end at 11pm. to our utter disgust, the music was still going on at 2am. this was preceded by firecrackers at 11pm. in a heated altercation with Mr Khoo the manager, he said (sic) "we also have an obligation to our customer who booked 70% of the rooms". the said customer being the organiser of the party that was taking place that night. presumably this obligation includes playing loud music till 2 am. never mind that 30% of the guests had a right to a good night's rest, this didn't stop the arrogance and the sheer stupidity of Mr Khoo and/or management of lone pine. i gather that events are a frequent thing since the hotel was refurbished. if this is the case, i believe that lone pine's branding as idyllic destination in penang will soon disappear. to make matters worse, our A/C wasn't working on the 2nd night and we had to go through the hassle of sleeping in another room (albeit a nice suite, but still a hassle). to be fair, the front desk personnel, Sera, was very nice and had an understanding that was bordering on clairvoyance and the help and housekeeping staff were all very nice. Sera apologised profusely. the hotel also charged us half of the room nights we booked but that was just a small compensation for one of the most terrible experiences we had in penang.

Room Tip: garden premier rooms hv the best view and serenity
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank jooolean
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Dear Jooolean,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback that we have received through Trip Advisor.

Please allow us to take this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your recent stay at the hotel. We have taken note of our short comings and have taken all the necessary actions to ensure that we improve on this aspect. It is through valuable comments and feedback from guest like your good-self that constantly motivate us to work harder and improve our services and raise the standards of the hotel.

Lone Pine Hotel always strived to achieve a long and mutual satisfying relationship with all our guests so we hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Once again a sincere word of thanks and wish you and your family a great week ahead.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!