“Awesome Experience”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband and I live in Cambodia and we wanted somewhere to relax and rejuvinate for a few days. We were overjoyed at the ambience of the hotel and it exceeded our expectation. The service was outstanding and they could not do enough for you. Housekeeping comes twice per day, abundant staff to cater to all your needs.. especially at breakfast, the waiters take the time to chat and make sure you have all you need. They just go the extra mile... like complimentary fruit cocktails by the pool both morning and afternoons. Big esky of ice cold water and cups to help yourself by the pool. Great location, close to the night market outside the door. Gorgeous plunge pool/bath on the balcony.. perfect for a romantic evening under the stars.... Rooms are beautifully appointed, bed and pillows incredibly comfy. Only downfall was I tripped over a mat on the way to breakfast and broke my toe on the 2nd morning. Lucky there was an Aussie doctor on hand. The mats are a bit dangerous where located. We did advise the staff so hopefully they will take that on board. I didn't let it spoil our time though... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I hope we get the chance to come back again.........

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear Julestravelling,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

On behalf of everyone at the hotel, I would like to extend our sincere appreciation for taking your precious time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

All of us here are so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us however I understand that there were certain issues that did not meet your expectations. We have seriously taken note of this and will take immediate action to improve those shortcomings. We do appreciate such constructive comments as it will only further motivate us to strive harder to provide a higher level in the service industry.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

MARCO G. BATTISTOTTI

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed April 17, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a wondeful weekend at the Lone Pine. Living in Singapore, we are just a short hop away, and travel regularly.

We arrived at 1am, check in was quick and efficient. One tiny little comment; we weren't shown where breakfast was held or the times etc (only a small thing but we woke up just before 10m, and ran down to reception as we weren't sure!) Yes, we realise could/should have asked!

The room:
The room was lovely; everything was provided, clean and well thought out. It is very modern, which we like.

The pool and beach:
I think the hotel was pretty much full, but there were still sunloungers available - we did not see sun loungers being reserved and then not used, which makes a change!

There is a lot of activity on the beach - jet skis, paragliding etc. It did not really bother us - my partner swam in the water, I did not - there are signs waring of jelly fish, and I am not a jelly fish fan!

We noticed that some other hotels along the beach had sun loungers on the sand, the Lone Pine does not.

Breakfast was good, it had everything you could want. We had lunch by the pool once and it was nice. I have been spoilt by the oppulance and luxury at Ritz and Hyatt in Sharm El Sheikh, Amari Vogue in Krabi, so perhaps my perspective is jaded somewhat!

Staff
Lovely, friendly staff, all really eager to please. We had a drama on the last day; we had put our bags in a 'holding area' - we had checked out, but our flight was not until later. We could use the facilities and shower in the gym for the rest of the day. When we went to retrieve our bags, my partner's had been given to someone else! The staff rallied around, calling taxi drivers etc, and we did get the bag back. A slight change to their system, would prevent this from happening again! I am sure it won't as they were all very apologetic, and could not have tried harder to rectify the situation!

Overall:
I would definitely return for a few days; the hotel has everything; clean, good food etc . We did not find that this a 'romantic hotel', but as a young couple we still had a great time.

We had friends staying at the Shangri-La (almost next door), they came to the Lone Pine one afternoon, and wished they had stayed there instead.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear LondonFraggle1,

Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in March 2011 and must say that we enjoyed the experience very much. The hotel is beautifully renovated and service was generally good.

The only thing that was a let down is that when we checked in, the cleaners have just finished and to a very ordinary standard. Many items were missing, such as flip flops, bathrobes, not enough towels (one set for two people) and missing items in the minibar. We had to alert the front desk twice for them to replace these items straight away to avoid any complications later on.

Other than the above, it was a comfortable place with good location.

Dear KTMelbourne,

Reviewed April 9, 2011

We splashed out on a three night stop here for our 40th wedding anerversary after reading alll the reviews.
It didn't start too well though, The room was fine except that it overlooked the kitchens and then we where told the pool would be out of action for three nights!. Not happy at all but after being shown three more rooms we got upgraded and I have to say we where treated very well indeed. Thankfully the pool work finished early and did not affect our stay at all and the hotel also sent a wonderful choc cake up to our room a really nice touch.
What a place this is, if you are looking for a top quiality hotel on Penang then I wouls say there can be few to better it. The huge rooms and fitted out with good quality fitting, big tv's and best of all really quiet at night. Food was good, yes much more that you pay at the night market stalls, but you have to pay for the comfort, service and good food. Drinks where a little over the top, but then again most hotels around the world always up their prices for some strange reason. Service was first class from the time we got there until we left nothing seemed to be too much trouble and all done with a smile.
Lots and lots of spare sun beds the best we have seen (and we have traveled extencivly)
the pools where great thank god as the sea is nothing special beautiful grounds and very well kept too.
The only reason the hotel did not get top marks all round is the constant drone of the jet skies, not there fault but a real problem, some do enjoy them but from 11am till the sun goes down you can't fail to hear them.

Room Tip: get a top floor room for best sea views.

Dear Kenwade,

Reviewed April 9, 2011

We stayed at Lone Pine for three night as part of our honeymoon. I decided to book this hotel after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures. I thought it would be a great alternative to the big concrete hotels on offer in penang. My new husband wasnt so sure!!

Needless to say when we arrived late at night and in the rain we were wowwed! This place is beautiful, recently restored this old hotel has loads of history and looks fantastic. The rooms are really trendy, lovely wooden floors, clean white walls and bright cushions. Bathrooms are great, especially the shower and the deep bath on the balcony is something different. The bungalow restaurant is a lovely place to have breakfast and the menu is great, with a lovely gift shop on the first floor. All the staff are well presented and very helpful.

The pool (and service at the pool) is great, the public beach which runs along the rear of the hotel isnt the best but this didnt make a difference to us. The bar in the hotel is very funky and a great place to sit at night.

The hotel is located in the centre of the town with the night market stretching out either side of the entrance.

The hotel has a games room with pool tabel, PS3s and board games and for the adults there is a great spa were we enjoyed a massage at a very reasonable price!

All in all for the cost per night (including breakfast) for this hotel it was great value for money and we would recommend it and would certainly like to visit again for longer. Their sister hotel The Eastern & Orient in George Town is also fantastic and worth a visit.

The way the management have refurbed this hotel is a credit to them. Loved every minute thanks.

1  Thank BumbleDubai

Dear BumbleDubai,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I trust that the week has been wonderful and productive for you and your family. It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

The hospitality industry is indeed challenging but most fulfilling when we have a guest like you expressing your satisfaction to the whole world and pledging to return and visit us.

Please rest assured that your comments have been acknowledged by the management of Lone Pine Hotel and have been duly passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed four nights and had a very relaxing time. The staff work very hard and are very polite and friendly. The spa is good value and the therapists were experienced. Breakfast buffet had lots of choice. The fried Kwai teow cooked to order was my favorite. Location is close enough to the night market and bars and restaurants but not noisy at all.

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear Mitch_sing18,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

I am indeed delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful and satisfying stay with us. All of us here greatly appreciate your comments, as it’s always a pleasure to know that we have met or exceeded our guests’ expectations.

Please be assured that your comments have been acknowledged by the management of Lone Pine Hotel and passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff in recognition of their hard work and dedication in the hospitality industry.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as fulfilling and enjoyable.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

Was at the Lone Pine for the first time in 2009 just before they closed for major refurbishment. We loved the location, the beach and although quite run down then, it seemed very rustic with hammock and casuarina trees and old style bathrooms with coconut shell water scoops! Our return to the newly opened high rise wing was a very pleasant surprise. The new buildings are beautiful and yes the casuarina trees and hammock as well as coconut scoop are all still there.
The new rooms as described by other reviewers have balconies with bath tubs and the whole layout of the rooms is trendy and spacious.
We had a partial seaview because we were on the lower of 3 floors and could see the sea through an opening between the roofs of two adjacent lower front blocks. If we were to be a little more to the left or right I doubt we would have been able to see the sea for the roofs. The higher 2 floors may just clear the roofs and afford a better view..
Next time I will ask for the rooms that overlook the pool and out to sea as I think the view will be better there.
The room was well appointed with free internet and I loved the storage space available. The wooden platform around the bed though was a potential hazard for bumping your shin in the night if you didn't realise it was there.
Breakfast comes with room rates and a decent spread was offered with local and western items. Chicken curry apparently one of the iconic dishes.
Current promotional rates of RM440++ for the room that we had is very competitive as rooms at the ParkRoyal, Rasa Sayang and Golden Sands are significantly higher especially if with seaview.
Kept the lovely pair of Lone Pine flip flops that were in the room as a souvenir (checked with reception that they were ours to keep); they even come in handy men and women's sizes that fit!
Staff seemed a little disorganised initially but were all very friendly and obliging. We were served with a welcome drink at the Bar when we arrived, even my aunt who had transported us there but was not a hotel guest, which I thought was a friendly pleasant touch.
Did not try the restaurant as we were there only a night and wanted hawker food in town instead. The Bar looks nice though so maybe next time when we are in Penang longer.
The pool is single depth and with dark tiles so the water was really nice and warm with no chill factor, which I liked. There were ample deck chairs and even a few cabanas around the pool.
Overall a very happy visit, now my favourite hotel in Penang and will definitely be back.

Dear Aussiegirl14,

7 mi away
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!