2,901 results
All reviews cool bananas lanai suite sunset bar night market park royal hotel kids club water slides buffet breakfast family room lounge area kids pool superior room long beach welcome drink jet ski batu ferringhi beach bit dated
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Overall stay was enjoyable but the hotel is in need of an upgrade if it is to live up to its 4 star rating. as the rooms are somewhat outdated and in need of updating. Avoid room 512 ( and subsequent x12 rooms) as these are located near the shaft of the service lift and the noise can be very disturbing.
Sleep quality is not the best as the pillows are very hard as are the matresses. Its certianly not the worst bed in the world but it just did not have that hmmm feeling.
The pool area is large and there are plenty of sun lounges. This sadly does not stop people placing towels out at the crack of dawn !
The location of the hotel is excellent for both acess to the beach and to the bars/restaurants of Batu Ferrengi.
All the Staff we encointered were both friendly and helpful to any concerns/questions.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jetlagged3
Reviewed January 3, 2011

First impressions of the hotel are great. It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport. Though arriving late we were greeted well by the front desk staff.

The lobby is open plan with the comfortable lounge attached where a live band plays every evening. The pool area is probably the best part of the hotel. Well landscaped, 2 pools, table tennis, and plenty of space for everyone. Though there were plenty of families it wasn't really that noisy. My main criticism of the pool area was, though there seemed plenty of sun loungers, there weren't enough mattress for everyone so we laid on towels (supplied free). It was still OK but not as comfortable.

The gym is fine and quite modern. A couple of treadmills and other cardio machines and plenty of weight machinces. Never had to wait long to use equipment.

I stayed on the 5th floor with my partner. I really think the corridors could do with painting and the carpet certainly felt it had better days. The room was adequate. We had a hill view room and it was quiet. Didn't have any of the noise that other seemed to have complained about. The room was clean but very average. An old style TV, no DVD player and basic furnishings. The bathroom was spacious enough, only a shower and no bath. Bed felt a little firm but I slept well on all nights.

The staff were friendly. One day there were no complimentary bottles of water left in the room. I asked at reception and by the time I returned more water had been left. The breakfast buffet is fine - there is sometimes a little wait especially if arriving around 10am. Sometimes they send you upstairs where I didn't think the food was as good. I always had to ask for tea or coffee - I was only offered once in 5 days!

Free wifi is available in the lobby and around the pool area. No wifi in the rooms but the have free cabled internet for laptops.

The beach is nothing special - the pool area is much nicer.

Taxis are readily available at the hotel and there seems to be fixed fees for all destinations (Georgetown 40RM - airport 60RM before 10pm) despite the taxis having a "meter only" sign on the fron but the fares are still cheap.

If I returned to Penang I may stay here again though I did feel the hotel was a bit overpriced compared to other hotels in Malaysia. Maybe it was just the time of year. The hotel drinks and food were also a little pricey compared to outside bars and restaurants but that's just hotel prices.

3  Thank mrrfrost
Reviewed December 28, 2010

a. The personnel answering my reservation call is very helpful and polite. She understands exactly her customer's concern and she handles her customer's expectation well.
b. The bell boy reached us with smiles when we were walking into the lobby. We were greeted by the polite guest service personnel and were directed to the check-in counter. Thanks to friendly and helpful receptionist who made me aware of customer's benefit.
c. The hotel room is better than fine. We love the pleasant odor along the corridor and near the lift.
d. The check-out was efficient. Again, the bell boy offered his help to send our lauggage to our car, even it's only one single travel bag!
e. My major concern is often the cleanliness of hotel bathroom and bedroom. So far Parkroyal is one of the least hotels that can meet my expectation during my every single visit. Thank you for that and I do hope you keep up the great job! Your General Manager, Francois Sigrist, has paid full attention to each and every customer’s feedback in Trip Advisor Review Website, that gives me more confidence to staying in Parkroyal.
Thank you.

2  Thank Sherry85my
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We stayed 4 days over Christmas in Parkroyal and had a really good time there. Our room was modern, clean. We got a complimentary fruit basket upon arrival and the staff decorated our room and got my husband a birthday cake on his birthday which was a nice surprise. The hotel facilities are very nice: great swimming pool, gym, pool billiard, table tennis. The food and drinks at the pool bars were very good although a bit overpriced. The breakfast was amazing: great choice for everybody! Overall it was a great beach holiday.

2  Thank Kasia K
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Noisy and nasty beach, aggressive members in Jet Ski counter
We were in this hotel from 14 dec to 17 and it was very bad experience.
Negative:
1-Forget about relax and lovely Time in the beach as the beach is noisy by Parasailing ,jet ski ,horses ,4 wd and there is Jelly fish . You cannot use the beach at all.
Do not choose the Jet Ski as they charge you for 15 minutes but they give you only 9 minutes for riding on Jet Ski!!!!! , when I said to them that still 15 minutes is not finished they attached me and if my family didn’t save me they wanted to attack by sharp items .
The hotel security in the beach does not accept your security and they were looking at us when I was under attack!!! And at the end they said the beach is public and it is not under their control!!!
2- The price of hotel is expensive compare to Malaysia standard
3- the hill view room is noisy all the day and night and the window is not fix very good ,so you cannot have a good sleep during night and and also day
4- The sea view rooms are noisy during the day due to sound of Jet Ski, parasailing and 4 WD in the beach
The sea view rooms also are noisy till midnight as every night there is LIVE music in the lobby of hotel and you cannot sleep before Mid night local time !
5 –the quality of rooms are average compare to price and the housekeeping is average
6- The service is slow
Positive:
1-The manager of hotel was really respectful to us and he did apology for the problem that we had with the jet ski owners in their beach, he also arranged a good taxi driver for us (Blue Taxi) and the taxi driver was really a good driver and he also helped us in the airport (the taxi charged was paid by us)
2- The resto had a good local food, however very expensive and the staff is good and respects you
3- The hotel location is good to look at night market as it is around 1 km every night beside the hotel
4- The pool is nice and clean and you can enjoy it
5- The breakfast is nice too and you can eat a several type of food
Finally according to my experience, if you search for a relax beach and lovely time forget about this place as you can have noise from morning till mid night!! Also don’t try the jet ski in the hotel as the hotel dose not accept responsibility of their problems

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Farshad74
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedbacks with us as it is always very important to all of us at the Resort to enable us to constantly improve our services befitted to all our guests inclusive your goodself.

I personally very sincerely regret and apologise for any discomfort caused with the water-sport activities to whom I had share, on the same morning, the unacceptable behavior of their employees for an immediate improvement.
In regards of the beach regrettably the beach in Malaysia is a Public space, however the State Government is taking the necessary steps before the year end to remove certain unwanted activities and control the water-sport for all beach lovers’ comfort.
We do our best to maintain our resort front and are planning to establish a delimited swimming area for the guests comfort. We are not shying away from our responsibility but have very regrettably very little control other than assuring that the water sport operator has proper coverage in case of accident and follow all the safety regulations.

In regards of your comments about the hotel I deeply and very sincerely regret that you did not share them with me when we met as my understanding was you were very pleased with the property and its services but only the regrettable the water sport incident did, very understandably, spoil your stay for wish on behalf of the water sport team I sincerely offer you once again my deepest apologies.

Once again if informed during the stay of any disliking, we could have ensure to do our very best to resolve any issues which were not to your liking and created a more memorable experience.
In future if you have any difficulties or issues with the hotel, please, please, please do contact us immediately, we will do our very best to assist and assure you a pleasant stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next trip in Penang and I will personally prove to you this poor experience was only an accident and not the norm of PARKROYAL Penang Resort where our aim is to ensure all our guests leave with memorable hotel experiences.

Have a wonderful New Year ahead, full of joy, happiness, success, prosperity and good health.
Very sincerely,