“Great "but"”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Western Australia
“Great "but"”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Just returned home after a really relaxing break stayed at this hotel for the first time although have been to Penang on many occasions. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. But, and for me a big but. Being a westerner I enjoy proper bacon at breakfast and it simply wasn't available hat this hotel, beef bacon (like shoe leather) or turkey bacon was. I would suggest that any other person who feels like I do should avail themselves of breakfasts from local cafe's who do sell pork products. Don't get me wrong the food on offer in the hotel restaurant was very good but for me as a westerner it was very limited, there is only so much noodles and rice one can eat and breakfast just is not the time or place for me

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davnjan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We just returned from 7 nights at the Parkroyal Penang staying with our 2 children (aged 4 and almost 5) and had a great time. We had 2 inter-connecting ocean view rooms which I would recommend - especially as we were then able to still use our room freely when the kids were asleep, particularly during the day. We could still hear the praying at the nearby mosque several times a day but it was not loud enough to disturb our sleep (may be different for those rooms that face the road as per other reviewer's comments).

The daily hotel breakfast was great and catered for both Asian and Western breakfast preferences (we loved both!) as well as for fussy small children! The resort gardens and both pool areas were very nice with sun/shade areas, activities and water depth being suitable for kids. The pool areas did have lifeguards but I would still recommend close parental supervision of small children. My only comment would be that during peak times, I can imagine that it would be difficult to get a pool-side lounge chair - in fact, despite that we were there during the off-peak season, I found it difficult to find an available lounge chair in the garden sometimes.

The kids club was very nice, clean and run by lovely staff however as it was fairly quiet at the resort in August (Ramadan time), we hesitated in leaving our kids there for too long/too often as they would quite often be the only kids there. Otherwise, we felt comfortable in leaving our kids under the care of the staff.

The overall resort staff were all very lovely and were happy to provide any assistance as needed.

I would also recommend the pool bar for 'ecstatic hour' - 2 for 1 drinks and an opportunity to mingle with other travellers.

The location of the hotel was great, with night markets right outside as well as the 101 bus (that costs only a dollar or two for 2 adults in total) that goes to all the major shopping malls and to Georgetown. Money can also be easily exchanged at numerous shops on the main street outside the hotel.

The hotel also has a well-equipped gym and day spa (although much more expensive than local massages etc). The rooms are a little dated as per other reviews but definitely not so much that it detracted from our holiday.

I highly recommend a trip to Georgetown and then a trishaw ride around all the main sites of the World Heritage area, the clan jetties, the temples and little China and little India - a great experience. We had 2 trishaws for 4 of us and the cost was about 45 ringgits per hour each (AUD $34) - highly enjoyed by both kids and adults alike! Our trishaw driver was also very good in taking us to see the main sights (by showing us on a map where he would take us before we departed), waiting for us while we were inside, and even taking photos.

For nightly dinners, I recommend the Long Beach Cafe only a 250m or so from the resort - very cheap local hawker food (the chilli mud crab is a must!). Also, for those small people who don't like local food, we were able to find chips/nuggets/pizzas at almost all local establishments, even Indian restaurants. Don't be put off by the look of some restaurants either as the food is great, despite appearances.

Our only food restriction was no tap water and we drank only bottled water - but ate all local food with no adverse side effects!

The beach massages are a must (we left our kids at kids club a few times and both had a massage) - try Danny and his wife right outside the hotel on the beach. A lovely couple, great massage for about 45 ringgits per hour. Otherwise, the beach is not really for ideal for spending time there or for swimming, however it does provide a lovely backdrop and the resort had good facilities and grounds for lying in the sun and swimming.

Finally, we had the most wonderful driver taking us to/from the hotel and the airport - I cannot recommend him enough (he was waiting for us when we arrived in Penang airport). He is lovingly referred to as 'Pineapple' (jokingly derived from his Chinese name) and had the most amazing local knowledge also - he can be requested by contacting general_pen@holidaytours.com.my or tel 604-229 3670.

A great holiday!

4 Thank holidaysun3
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Just back from Penang 2 days, still think about the time in the hotel. Parkroyal is a small hotel and a bite old when I step in.
But when I get into my room, I feel the room is comfortable, clean, quiet with beautiful seaview and a very nice bathroom.
Around the pool area, I'm easy to find a chair as this is a small hotel, people around is familiar. There have 2 beautiful swimming pools, slide, drinks, towel, sports activity and environment are all excellent!!
Wonderful location, just few minutes to the night market and food court. I've travel to the Butterfield Farm and Tropical Fruit Farm which are all very nearby to my hotel.
I'll definity recommend this hotel to my friends.

2 Thank HongKongSally
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We have recently returned from a 6 night stay at the hotel and can't wait to go back. From the moment we walked in we loved the place. Our Family seaview room with balcony had a King bed and 2 king single beds, there was more than enough room for the 4 of us. The kids club and the seperate kids pool were a hit with all of us, happy kid's, happy parents! We felt more than happy to leave the kiddies with the lovely staff. The food on the resort was lovely, prices what you would expect at a 41/2 star resort ( a little below what we would pay at home) A 10 minute walk up the road is a great food court called "Long Beach", around $2 for a plate of tasty Malaysian food. The location of the resort is fantastic with the night markets directly outside. For those with families the Parkroyal is perfect! We also got married at the resort, it was a perfect relaxed day, loved it!

1 Thank PerthMum_74
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We just returned from spending 10 nights at Penang Parkroyal with our two young children (4 & 20 months) Our overall experience at the hotel was great. We had a family room (an upgrade thanks to the hotel) which was a good size. The rooms were nice but as others have mentioned could do with a update (TV and bathroom). The pool area was great, lovely amount of shade and the water slide was great for both kids. Really liked the idea of lifeguards which added to the family experience. Special thanks to Anas who was fantastic. The management at Parkroyal should not let him go as he is a credit to the hotel. Lovely birthday cake and balloons for my husband provided by the hotel also very lovely touch.

The hotel also has a optician visit on Wednesday. I would recommend this to all visitors who wear glasses or contacts. The service provided by Patrick at Vision First was outstanding. I can honestly say I dont think I have receive service that outstanding my life. He had my glasses ready and delivered to the hotel in 24 hours after driving me back and fourth from the hotel to Georgetown as I wanted to check out all the frames. He also gave my family a beautiful cake for my husbands birthday.

2 Thank Familytravels30s
melbourne
Reviewed August 20, 2010

had a really nice stay, but i wouldn't describe it as outstanding and expected a little more 'pizazz' for the money. great location though. would recommend getting a room that does not front the street, as quite noisy in the mornings.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kat_nick2010
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Park Royal as part of a group on a sporting trip. The hotel facilities are good, rooms comfy and sea-facing room views are fantastic. What really sets this hotel apart is the customer service. The staff smile not because they are told to but because they want to. They genuinely are interested in you and delviering great service. The hotel is also quiet, not the drone of motor boats, jet ski's and activity on the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,453 reviews

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!