2,903 results
All reviews cool bananas lanai suite sunset bar night market park royal hotel kids club water slides buffet breakfast family room lounge area kids pool superior room long beach welcome drink jet ski batu ferringhi beach bit dated
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We arrived to find we had been allocated a room without a balcony (requested); we were moved immediately to another room which was excellent although the view from the balcony was limited. All the staff were more than helpful at all times, in particular the cleaners who were exceptional in handling some ad-hoc requests. Breakfast was 9/10, Location 9/10 and the pool(s) 10/10. We will be staying here again.

3  Thank Guaza
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I was very impressed by my first stay in the Park Royal Penang (We had previously gone to either Golden Sands or G Hotel whenever we went). They enrolled me into their Parkroyal Prestige program which allowed me to get some good discounts for a 1 yr period (This is a paid program, RM428 per year).

We arrived and despite the early 80s architecture externally, inside it is fairly modern fittings. The breakfast is very good, I would say, better than the offering at Golden Sands when I last went. The pool is fabulous, with a water slide all kids will love (I will come back to this). The kids club is big, with games, activities with no charge except for materials (!), and this kept my kids busy for 2 hours while I went to the gym.

The room we took was the family room which had 2 queen beds, and they gave me a cot for my infant at no charge which was thoughtful. The balcony had a wonderful view of the pool and beach, with privacy (Unlike the balcony at Golden Sands room we had). The bidet next to the water closet in my Family Room was leaking and it took 3 calls and 3 visits, but they fixed it.

Now back to the pool - unfortunately, on our second day, my 6 year old daughter suffered an unfortunate accident at the slide. On the first day, the hotel had 2 lifeguards - 1 at the top of the slide to control the kids, and 1 at the bottom, to make sure the kids clear the pool after sliding down. My 8 yr old and 6 yr old must have gone on the slide 50 times before the 1 time it seemed my 8 yr old came down too soon after my 6 yr old and her knee knocked into the 6 yr old's left eye, leaving a very bad, immediately visible bruise. Only then did I realise there was no lifeguard at the top of the slide at the time. I rushed my daughter out to the towel hut after getting some ice, since they had first aid available only (Clinic was only open morning that Saturday). Then quickly decided to try and get my daughter to a nearby clinic. The person manning the towel hut told me he would inform someone and when we went up to our room to change, I got a call from the front desk advising me the nearest clinic was closed between 5-7 pm and nearest one was at Tanjong Bungah (20 min away). I quickly drove my kids out, and thankfully spotted a clinic just across from the Golden Sands, next to a 7-11. Fortunately, the doctor indicated no apparent serious injury, but it could have been dangerous since it was near the eye socket. An unfortunate accident, which probably could have been avoided if I had noticed earlier no supervision at the top of the slide - kids will be kids, and there were lots that Saturday evening.

As you can guess, this pretty much spoiled the rest of the trip, and after a night of icing my daughter's eye, decided to cancel the spa and father's day buffet plans for the next day to check out and head back to KL as soon as we were ready.

Overall, I would still probably go back (Will probably bring a loud hailer and supervise the pool myself next time) - for the price, it was definitely good value. Its a very good 4 star property in my view, in a market which will heat up once the Lone Pine and Golden Sands renovations are completed, and the Hard Rock Hotel is launched. Staff are friendly when approached.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, Hotel General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for your email and message left on tripadvisor.com, we were very pleased to know you had a pleasant stay with us which regrettably was spoiled by a small accident with your daughter who we sincerely hope is better now.

In regards to the slide, please allow me to clarify with you that we had a lifeguard stationed at the bottom of the slide and he has informed all the children repetitively to go one by one and to wait for their turn to go down the slide. In numerous occasions he even reminded some parents nearby to assist in controlling their respective children as he was concerned and to avoid incident, which regrettably has happened in your case. I sincerely regret and apologies most sincerely that this incident occurred and that you felt that there was no control.
As soon as your daughter got hit by her brother in his fall, our staff has immediately verify with the father who was also in the pool at that time, if she was fine and may we be of any assistance to him. When the father has taken some ice from the bar, our employee at the bar has immediately informed our supervisor and Duty Managers to follow up with the family on the incident. If I am not mistaken, our Duty Manager contacted your room later to check if you need assistance to send your little girl to the nearby doctor but was told that you will go on your own.
I, again, deeply and very sincerely apologize for any miscommunication and misunderstanding which could have taken place and you can rest assure that we will reinforce further our already stringent security measures to ensure that such incident does not occur in future.
Please accept once again my sincere apologies and hope this incident will not deter you from patronising Parkroyal again in the future.
I look forward to welcome you back and if you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Have a wonderful day.
Francois

Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed at this resort for 3 nights, wish we could have stayed longer. We booked a sea view deluxe room with breakfast included. Buffet breakfast has a great range of food available. The rooms are very nice & modern, king size bed, flat screen TV. We did not find the noise from the water sports to be disturbing at all. (I had a go at parasailing my self and it was a fun, cheaper than Langkawi) Staff and service we found to be fantastic, they even showed us a few rooms and we got to choose which one we liked. Complimentary water is provided and also large chocolate chip cookies! We had a leak from the toilet as soon as we reported it they fixed in promptly. Swimming pool is heated, with shaded areas with plenty of lounge chairs around pool, gardens and beach if you like. (The strap loungers may look old, but they are comfortable any broken ones are removed and replaced) Like everyone says food and drink are a little expensive, but at night the hotel is a ghost town as everyone goes out to the markets and eat outside. The markets are outside the hotel. We ate at Long Beach Hawker Stores food was great busy and very cheap. Hotel has shuttle bus to go into George Town.

5  Thank RPPMP
Reviewed May 17, 2009

My wife and I had a very pleaseant 7 night stay here. All the staff were very friendly and attentive. We stayed on the 6th floor in a Grand Seaview Deluxe room with balcony and great views of the gardens and ocean. The room itself was very nice, but disappointed that there was no separate shower (one of those where the shower is in the bath with shower curtain). Flat screen TV was nice, but not many English channels to choose from.
Breakfast was outstanding with a huge selection of food. Often quite crowded and occasionally had to queue to get a seat, but the staff were quite efficient. The seafood buffet dinner on Saturday night was also very good (try and get a discount if you can - we managed 25% off).
The lobby lounge is a nice place to sit and read. They have a bar, but very few people were buying drinks because the prices were insanely high (eg RM30++ for a cocktail and RM12++ for a coffee).
Pools were nice and waterslide was fun (although this was part of the kiddies pool).
Another nice touch was a couple of fresh (I'm talking huge - 10cm diameter) cookies delivered daily to our room.
Just outside the hotel is the night market that sells the usual trinkets and rip-offs. A short walk down the road towards Georgetown is the Long Beach Cafe (outdoor food court) which we ate at a couple of times. Nice selection of foods from over a dozen vendors. Drinks are cheaper here.
Closest major shopping centre is Gurney Plaza which was very modern and quite big. You can catch the local bus (101 or 1-1B) for RM3 from just outside the hotel. Same bus to Georgetown is RM4. Definitely an experience to catch the bus (especially the 1-1B which is not air-conditioned, but is far more frequent than the 101). If you're not in a rush don't waste your money on a taxi.
Overall a great experience at this hotel.

5  Thank Ray3149
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago and we really enjoyed it. The location of the hotel was great with the night markets right at your door step. We booked the Grand Deluxe Seaview room; it was tidy and offered great ocean front views.

The hotel pool was really nice, and so was the daily breakfast buffet. They also had freshly made juice each day, which was great. The breakfast buffet was big enough to include pretty much everything you could want for breakfast.

We were on the 5th Floor and unlike other comments didn't find noise from jetski's or boats annoying, even with the terrace doors open, there wasn't much noise at all. The standard rooms don't have seaview rooms I don't believe.

Hotel staff were really friendly, we had asked for early check in, but the room wasn't quite ready when we arrived, they kept us updated as to when it would be ready though, and we still got in much earlier than normal check-in so we were still happy. Our friends staying in a standard room got early check-in, so we chilled with them for a while.

The room was tidy and clean, but the extraction fan in the bathroom wasn't working and multiple light globes were flickering. Maintenance could probably be improved. In room DVD player was handy to watch movies if it rains.

Food/Drink was a little expensive at the hotel, but we preferred to eat a little down the road at the long beach food court, seemed more like what the locals would eat.

We had a look at the other hotels in the area and decided if we came back, Park Royal would be our pick again.

Internet Cafe and Money changers only 2 minutes walk. We also enjoyed going to Monkey Beach.

3  Thank AussieTraveller1983