“5 star hotel with 5 star service and food!”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
singapore
“5 star hotel with 5 star service and food!”
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I flew in from Singapore via malaysian airlines on Sun morning. Stayed at Parkroyal Penang over the Deepavali holidays. Fantastic hotel with clean, big room and toilet. I stayed at the delux partial ocean view room but nevertheless, the view of the beach was already beautiful! We caught some fireworks set off by the locals living around the area at night on Deepavli day itself. The toilet was complimented with spa facilities and bottled mineral water was provided daily, together with complimentary daily newspapers. The pool was clean and fantastic! Families with children would love the pool slides.

The beach was just beside the hotel so very convenient for sports activities. Did parasailing and the view was superb! Staff was very helpful and friendly. We had a spa appointment after breakfast on our day of check out and the staff allowed us extended our stay until 3pm for free. St Gregory spa there was absolutely superb! The therapist were skillful while the packages were reasonably priced. The view from the spa rooms were excellent as well, beach or garden facing.

The breakfast is fantastic! Lots to offer from western to asian food, salad, fruits and best of all, FRESH fruit juice that were made on the spot! The amount of food available would leave you too full for lunch! The cool bananas bar offers free cold water for hotel guests who are relaxing around the pool and beach. Our 3 nights pacakage entitled us to a free full 3 course Western Dinner at Tiffins.

My friends and I were so happy with our stay there that we would definitely return to parkroyal penang next yr! Anyway penang is only 1 hr away via plane from Singapore. The holiday inn hotel just nest door of comparable rates pale in comparison as well. No point paying double for shangrila because it's just next door as well and the facilities are much more expensive though not necessary as good, esp the spa.

fyi: Do check out the hotel website for packages that are usually not available through external website bookings! That's what the hotel staff advised us to do as well.

• Liked — clean big rooms at reasonalbel rates. Fantastic spread at breakfats. Close proximity to beach
  • Disliked — No free internet access, but if u're going there to relax, who needs internet?
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank lieve-sgp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Having been fortunate to have previously stayed in such exotic locations as Maui (Hawaii), Phuket (Thailand), Goa (India) and the New Stanley (Nairobi ) the Park Royal in Penang outclasses them all. Excellent service, good food and the most incredible scenery and beaches usually seen only in tourist brochures. The Cool Bananas Bar is an excellent place to escape from the heat as all the other bars are open air. Room service is excellent : on ordering breakfast in my room I was reminded that I was entitled to a free breakfast downstairs but I was determined to eat breakfast on the huge balcony of my suite. Can't wait to return.

• Liked — Five star without being intrusive
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank johnbursby
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I booked my room directly with the hotel via their website. After booking I noticed my credit card had not been charged, so I contacted them and was notified that the charge would occur after check-out, or in the event of a no-show. I had actually booked with my mother's credit card, and asked if it would be okay to charge that same card on check-out as it was not mine, and I was told that would be fine. That seemed to satisfy my concern.

We stayed a total of 4 nights. Although we only booked the superior room I was more than happy with the room. For the two of us, we selected single bedding, there was enough room to move about and we did not feel cramped.

There was a problem with our shower not draining, we alerted the front desk who sent maintenance, but I saw no real improvement in the problem.

The beachfront location is beautiful, even if you do not use the beach or its facilities. The pool is lovely. All in all, I think the grounds are well kept and a pleasure to be in.

Breakfast is wonderful. There is an assortment of freshly juices, as in squeezed for you, and the buffet choices are more than enough.

I definitely recommend Danny Reflexology massage down on the beach, the two masseuses (my guess is they are a married couple?) are so friendly. Also, there is a tour guide by the name of Jamal who also takes hotel guests out, if you need a guide I definitely recommend him. Ask for him by name at the hotel, or recognize him by his orange hair!

Now, onto my only gripes. Having been told my credit card would be charged after check-out, my friend provided her credit card for use by the hotel for the miscellaneous charges authorization at check-in. A day later after checking her account, the hotel in fact charged her credit card for the miscellaneous charges PLUS the rates for the room. And I would like to point out that this was an actual charge to the card, not an authorization. She even called the bank to verify. Upon learning this we headed down to reception and were met rudely by one of the women who works on the reception, who basically printed out a statement and slapped it in front of us, and denied that anything had been charged. Being that this was night, the finance manager was not available, however considering she said nothing had been charged it's rather surprising that they later reversed the charges on her card!

Then when we checked out, there was a problem with charging the room to my mother's card. I was told that the card number was not stored on file but was told by the woman handling out check-out that it would be okay for me to call and get the number. So I call for the number, get all the details, hand it to her only to then be told the person needs to be present to sign. I had printed out my email correspondence about this and showed it to her, telling her that I asked exactly whether it would be okay and was told it was fine. And, if I could not use their credit card I couldn't understand why she would tell me in the first place to call for the number! I paid with my own credit card in the end. I totally understand the issue of them wanting to protect themselves against credit card fraud, I was only annoyed because I thought I had clarified the situation with them.

Other than these two problems, I did have an enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel. However next time I would probably book via a third party website, like asiarooms.com who I have never had any problems with, rather than direct with the hotel. At least that way I know all charges are paid upfront.

• Liked — Beautiful views, close proximity to night markets and hawker foodhall
  • Disliked — Miscommunication, some customer service problems
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank happymeal
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Stayed here for a 3 day break. Hotel lobby was nice and big with high ceilings to give the airy feel. This was nice to chill out in the evening, when the band was playing. Sea breeze coming through the openings as you sat on comfy sofa's.

Service from the team were efficient and friendly. Rooms were nice and spacious. We had a balcony room facing the sea. Lovely view from the 8th Floor. Big variety for the breakfast spread. From traditional to western. There were also 'made to order' specials.

Hotel pool was nice with plenty of greenery, but thought it was smaller than shown in the pictures. One for grown ups and the other for kids. Beach on the doorstep of the pools.

Plenty of watersports to be had. We tried almost every single ride. You can book through the hotel, so you can put it on the tab rather than use up your currency.

Nice local night markets too. All within walking distance.

Abit far from Central Penang. But if you're after just sun, sand and sea then this is quite good. If you want to see some heritage and culture, then abit far.

On a side note,Central Penang had better food and at great prices! There is alot of World Heritage Sites to see, which is cool.
There's also the Penang Hill and various Temples.

Overall, hotel was lovely to stay for a beach holiday. I would say better than the Holiday Inn (next door) which we stayed some years back.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TopNotchHongKong
Sydney
Reviewed October 7, 2008

This is the second time our family has stayed at this hotel (we stayed there previously in late 2006), and based on our experience then we were happy to enjoy a relaxing 7 day break at Park Royal Penang on our way back to Sydney after a more involved Hong Kong trip.

Accepted the hotel rooms are beginning to look abit dated, but we were attracted to its location along the beach, its sea views from our family rooms, amazing breakfast spreads and seafood buffets (esp Sat. night) and interesting market stalls and eateries just outside the hotels.

For the price we paid (around AUD217 per family room, incl full buffet breaky daily) we were happy with what we got. On most days because of the heavy breakfast meal and the weather we even skipped lunch.

The staff are happy to assist although I do feel those organising transport at the front appear to to be working with selected taxi drivers and making a small cut for themselves.

The kids enjoyed the kids club which is free for those above 4 years I understand and its operating hours were very convenient and it staff excellent.

We were a group of 6 so instead of taking two taxis we found it cheaper to hire a people mover. I highly recommend a gentleman by the name of Benson who operates from just outside the hotel (with a silver people mover that seats 9) - he drove safely and price was fair, not like some of the mad man taxi drivers who race to complete their journey.

Our only annoyance was with the noisy families on our level who had kids running around on the floor corridors late at night and adults talking loudly outside their rooms which disrupted our sleep. I'm sure though this wasn't a common thing and we were just unlucky.
A tip, if you are affected by mosquito bites then rememeber to get the rooms sprayed or ask them to install and electric mosquito repeller.

• Liked — location and buffet breakfast
  • Disliked — appeared that I wasn't able to adjust in room air conditioning
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SydneyRon
China
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Since TA.com is where I begin all my travel research I thought it was time to give something back. I have 2 teenagers and I find it difficult to find suitable accommodation/activities for this age group. Many places are great for small children but teenagers are rarely catered for.

We recently stayed at the Parkroyal Penang. The hotel was fine, no real complaints; we had a 'family room' (room 302) which had a king and 2 large singles in the one large room with balcony with ocean views. A couple of things that may be annoying to some is the continual 'groaning' noise you can hear in the room from the bank of 3 elevators which are adjacent. Also the A/C was very cold. We kept adjusting the thermostat but housekeeping kept lowering it. Beds are hard, not the usual 'western' style.

In general the hotel staff were friendly, although at breakfast I think some of the wait staff got out of bed on the wrong side just a tad grumpy. Coffee is at all tables in a pot but it was difficult to get a cup of tea or a refill. Finally figured it out on our last day to ask for a POT of tea. Breakfast was an excellent selection suitable for many different cultures and taste buds. No complaints from the 6 of us regarding breakfast which included a couple of fussy eaters.

Hotel facilities were good. 2 pools (one junior with a water slide) and lifeguards on duty. Outdoor table tennis next to pool, bikes for hire, good massage at spa one tennis court, food and drink however were expensive. Pool table and PS2 available but costs extra and a little on the expensive side for PS2.

The hotel is on the beach but unfortunately the beach was over run with parasailing, jet skis and banana boat rides. We were there during Hari Raya which marked end of ramadan. It became very crowded on the beach and there didn't appear to be much by way of safety on the water, in fact I would even say dangerous. Whilst there we saw a couple of people crash land after parasailing on the beach. One fool went parasailing with his 10 month old son. Watch out for theives on the beach. My brother in law went jet skiing, he left his belongings next to the hotel staff running the jet skis. We arrived only minutes later to watch only to find his stuff had been taken. Miraculously, it reappeared when we started to look around. The shoes had been buried about 3 metres from where they were left and the hat had been untied and hidden under life vests.

Due to quite a few construction sites nearby and some rainfall the sea was very murky and muddy with warnings for jellyfish.

Ron at Sparks Tailor down the road from the hotel is a wealth of information and very friendly. Long Beach is an outdoor food court with fantastic food and very very cheap. Kampong restaurant is great for Chinese food - ask for Andrew.

Perhaps the best way to end is by asking the question- would my family return to Penang? No, it was a good holiday but not great.

• Liked — Availability of family room
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbours in hotel - thin walls and doors
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank tessybear158
Brisbane - Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We spend 3 days @ the Parkroyal Penang @ the end of our Malaysian stay. To be fair, by then (10 days) we were tired and just looking to go home.

As a Hotel it was pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary but one plus is it's location. It's smack bang in the middle of Batu Ferrenghi and the markets are on most nights just outside the doors.

One odd thing is that half the Hotel is across the road from the other, you have to cross an overbridge to get there (and the beach).

It's also next to a good tailor, can't remember his name but I had 4 business suits made plus 5 business shirts and all were excellent. Still using some of the suits today, 3 years on.

Highly recommend eating @ the local restaurants, very cheap and much better than hotel food.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled as a couple
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,453 reviews

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!