“Oasis”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed March 19, 2014

An ideal location for exploring Batu Ferringhi with the best stretch of breach out front and the night markets plus mix of restaurants, cafes and mini marts just behind.

We booked the most basic rooms which were nice. The bed was large and comfortable but a little more storage space would have been useful. The hotel provided a cot for our little one. The rooms were cleaned well each day and linens changed.

Our room overlooked the reasonably busy road but being on the 7th floor we didn't find it too noisy at all. We could hear the prayers/chanting from several times a day and evening including early morning but personally found this charming and part of the local atmosphere.

The food at the hotel was tasty but expensive compared to the prices of local restaurants and cafes. We preferred to spend the day by the pool but go outside to eat.

The two pools are both lovely and had some shade area for kids. The large kids pool also has a slide. The hotel has an air conditioned play room where kids can play with toys/ball pool or be supervised by staff. We used the babysitting service in our room twice to go out for dinner and Leila was absolutely lovely and with a big family of her own I had confidence that she was fine with our 11 month old.

Some of the reviews mention that the hotel is a little tired looking and while this is the case it is well kept. The garden areas between the pools and the beach are a great place to spend the day and soak up both the sunshine and the view.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear KerryScouseKelly ,
Thank you very much for your nice comments particularly about our good services and food quality. I surely pass your nice comments to Leila at the Children Club.

Concerning our food & beverage pricing, if I may share with you, yes I do agree in some ways, we may be very slightly more expensive than an outside “restaurant” along the beach and surely more, compared to any hawker stalls.
We need to keep in mind the following, which is not always part of those outlets’ offers and I am sure I can speak on behalf of all hotels and regulated restaurants.
Hotels and registered restaurants (the latter being very limited by the beach side) have to follow strict regulations including: licensing, permits, safety requirements and licensing, health and hygiene requirements and various frequent controls. In addition, all our Associates are paid according to local regulations and generally, I can assure you, we provide higher privileges to all our Associates, with proper health, social and retirement benefits.
Our service equipment used are of higher grade than what is offered on the streets, for example we provide proper cotton napkins and not toilet paper, the food portioning and the quality of food offered is also to be taken in consideration. Also in hotel’s outlets, you drink and eat using proper clean glassware and chinaware, no plastic plates (unless around the pool for safety), in a hygienic environment with clean facilities including proper toilets. Outside toilets are very often, very questionable; and the list could go on and on. All this adds on to the price, very regrettably, but that is also the price for comfort and safety. Not to forget that most of our food served is of high quality, very often imported and the portioning is generous.
These reasons are mainly why we can’t achieve the lower pricing offered by many outlets outside. Also, to be honest, it is not fair to be compared to an hawker stalls or non-registered outlets which don’t have the heavy financial burden in following all those regulations that we, hotels, have to follow to operate.

I thank you very much for your kind understanding and you can rest assure that we constantly try our very best to assure we provide the best value to all our guests at the best possible price.
I am pleased to inform you that w are presently under review for a refreshment program for our rooms and other guests facilities.

Thank you very much for your feedback and time , greatly appreciated and do look forward to welcome you back in a near future to PARKROYAL Penang Resort.

Have an awesome time ahead.
Francois

Write a ReviewReviews (2,567)

Reviewed March 18, 2014

highlights

1. Break fast - Simply amazing breakfast. Tons of variety and a chef at your service to make you eggs on demand.
2. Location - the batu ferringhi beach side was amazing with beautiful sunsets.
3. water based activities- right in front of the hotel. para gliding, jet skis, banana boats, all the good stuff

Lowlights

1. Room service could've been better. we had to call for the rooms to be cleaned - twice. and the room had a blocked faucet bowl that had to be fixed by us - twice. and they still didnt offer to change the room
2. pools were not what you expect out of a luxury hotel.. Old and small
3. compared to indonesia, people were not so friendly..(except the old security officers) they didnt smile, the welcome drink took 10 minutes to arrive and they made us wait 1 hour for the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sandeepsampath,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience, we are very pleased to learn about our AMAZING breakfast which is very reassuring to know we are doing something right.
Concerning the difficulties you face in your room with the Housekeeping I sincerely regret to know only now a year later and not while you were staying with us as I will have surely with my Team corrected immediately such unfortunate incidents. Please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused and if I can mentioned again, if facing with some difficulties or issues please do bring it to our attention immediately not after your back home as it will be really difficult for us to change your perception. We do try our best but we are only human and at time make mistake and will be only very happy to correct it.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies and I look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future to prove to you such incidents were only accidents and not the regular standard of the Resort. Please do contact me and will ensure to look after you.

Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for 14 nights in March of 2014. We had a "deluxe" room that was quite large and airy. We did were kind of in a corner so while we didn't overlook the beach, we weren't directly facing the street either.

The staff was great! Always attentive and friendly, but not overbearing. Housekeeping was very attentive and our room was cleaned nicely daily. We weren't always ready for them to clean when they arrived, but they were willing to come back when we left.

The food was pretty good. We ordered room service a few times and it was fine. The pool staff was attentive and brought our drinks and food to us quickly.

Gym was decent - can be a bit hot in the afternoons so if you are a runner, run in the morning. The spa was very nice - attentive service and very relaxing. Really enjoyed my massage!

Location is nice - bus stop right outside the hotel so you can catch it right away. Be sure to flag it down, as it won't stop unless you do.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear HV1023B,

How nice it is read your generous comments particularly about our service friendliness and caring attitude which really help us to motivate our crew as, again, at time reading some other comments, we feel very down however your feedback are really very re-comforting and we all surely work harder to continue our aim to provide memorable hotel experiences to all our guests.
I am also very pleased to noticed that you found our food of quality which is another reassuring point.

Thank you very , very much, really, for your very kind message and by sharing with my Team I can assure you we will all be greatly motivated to work harder.
See you soon back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
In mean time have a real fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

A group of 4 we stayed in the Park Royal 3 nights early Feb, The hotel was large and nicely sited by the beach. Our rooms were a reminder of the late 70's decor that clearly had not been upgraded since the hotel was build which were very dark and uninviting and smelt musty
The food was limited in choice and poor quality, breakfast was in tune with the decor dated boring and limited.

it left us with the opinion that the chef was as uninterested in quality as the hotel owners. The evenings were plagued by a live singing band that started from 7 pm until 11 pm and were were so loud that we could here them in our rooms, when asked if the noise could be reduced we were told no as they stop at 11 pm. during our 3 nights the live band had no more than 5 people being defended by the noise!
Outside the relaxing area was very good with bar and pool, the beach opposite was nice looking until it was filled by what looked like workers strolling along the beach and looking in at the hotel area as if we were on display. Many actual decided to roam through the hotel garden which is a question on security, I also noted back packers using the hotel toilets for washing etc
Staff were helpful and polite.
The market outside was same as any market in Malaysia full of cheap copy's of branded goods and not worth the effort.

Would I go back defiantly not
Value for money No the stay was more expensive than staying in a 5 star hotel
The hotel owners should invest money in this hotel and stop ripping of tourists and tighten up security by stopping the ability of others to use the hotel facilities we were over charged for.

Room Tip: Dont go to this otel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank John C

Dear John C,
First of all I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any discomfort we may have caused and it is with much regret that I did not had the opportunity to meet you during your stay with us to enable to understand better your food preference and enable us to improve ourselves. We receive many positive comments about our offering and if you have the possibility, I will love to hear from you on what exactly what you would like to see as we really have a wild choice of offerings and will love to make it even better in future.
Please do provide me your feedback via email or via the Tripadvisor.com message system and will make a priority to look into it with my Team and implement.

In term of security we have guards at the garden permanently as well as internal CCTV system to verify movement in garden and building as security is one of our major concern. We are actually implementing additional safety measure to increase further some our our already stringent safety measure but without to be an hindrance to our guests.
In term of renovation we are presently working on a possible refreshment program for our rooms and other hotel facilities.

I look forward to hear from you and have also the opportunity to welcome you back and offer you a more memorable experience.

I wish you a wonderful day.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The place is located at a remote place but good place to stay to relax. Staff is friendly and room is clean. Lots of activities for children by the hotel and it has night market just outside the hotel. Will be back again

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Winston O,
We are so pleased to read of our Associates Friendliness greatly motivating and very reassuring as at time when reading some comments we wonder.
Thank you so much again for your real kind comments and we look forward to welcome you back soon to PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have a fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

the location is very good, they have a very nice swimming pool.
the rooms are little bit old but it was ok.
many activities for kids.
Penang night market is just a minute walking from the lobby.
some staff don't have good customer service

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mohab78,
Thank you for your time to share with us and apologise for any wrong doing with some of my Associates behaviour.
I sincerely appreciate that even we did perform 100% you selected us as teh best hotel in Penang, we are very proud and honoured, THANK YOU!
I will have love to hear you out to enable you to have a nicer and more enjoyable stay.
I look forward to welcome you and back at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and assure that you have a wonderful time with us.
Very sincerely

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed 5 nights in this hotel. The rooms were really good, with a giant bed! So i slept really comfortable... Because i had to do a lot of work i spent a lot of my time in the resort. I eat here every day and can also say that the food was perfect! In the spa i took a hot stone massage and was excellent! Really relaxing! The staff is really helpful.. at one moment my computer had a problem and the head of IT department called Sony service center and made everything possible to fix it! Thanks again! :) There is a big swimming pool and also it is right at the beach. I sure come back when i visit Penang.

Room Tip: I booked the standard room, but was already excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Lionel_Bessi,
Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments which are really very reassuring to know that our bed, food quality and offerings are perfect.
I will surely pass your message to my Team and I can guarantee you it will be most welcome and a great motivation as sometime reading some messages on this web page, it can sound like a total different hotel.
We are not perfect and do try to make it right and better every day to assure guests have always memorable hotel experiences.

Thank you for your real reassuring comments and support greatly appreciated and look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.

Have an outstanding and fruitful time ahead.
Very sincerely

#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 87 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!