“Day Tickets To The Pool” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
London, United Kingdom
“Day Tickets To The Pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Being a long term guest at this great hotel I was aware that they do a day guest ticket to enable non residents to use the pool facilities. However never having been a non resident until this trip I had not had the opportunity to use this facility. This time however my wife and I are staying along with our family in a rented villa so the opportunity arose to use the non resident function and we have not been disappointed. Great value for money and great service - I did not detect any difference in the way staff treated us and resident guests. The facilities including the children's area and slides are first class and well patrolled by lifesavers so one feels secure in using them even with a 8 year old in tow. The guest pass includes a credit for food and drinks although each time we visited we fare exceeded this as we always took lunch - it was just too tempting.

Well done Park Royal (again)

Room Tip: bags of shaded areas where you can just chill out of the direct sun
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear jackw53,
Thank you very much for your message and I am really pleased you had a memorable time with us even so you were only a day pass user. You are always welcome to visit us at PARKROYAL Penang again and we will be more than happy to be of service to you.
Have a fantastic time in Penang and look forward meeting you in our beautiful gardens.

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had our annual company trip at this hotel this year and since a few of us arrived by cars, we reached earlier. As this was a company event, we expected that there would be some delay in getting our rooms. However, our check in was smooth with no hassles at all. When we reached our room, we were disappointed as the room was not clean, there was a biscuit box (of the previous guest) in one of the drawers. Since we would be going out again, we requested our room to be cleaned again. When we returned, the room was clean. The room itself was spacious, there were two of us but the room could easily fit 3 people. The bathroom was large and well equipped. The beds were also comfortable and we had a good sleep during the two nights we were there. The breakfast selection was well spread with a variety of food ranging from pancakes, salads to the usual nasi lemak. What I liked about this hotel is that there was a good variety of vegetarian food during lunch & tea breaks. As ours was a company trip, we didn't get to enjoy the beach but it was beautiful. I would definitely return to this hotel if I am back at Penang.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Reena305 ,
Thank you for your nice message and apologise for the unfortunate incident with the box of biscuits left behind, please accept my sincere apologies.
I am glad however to see that you had a pleasant, comfortable and enjoyable time with us. I was also very pleased that you found our Breakfast to be good value and quality with its great selection.
We always make great efforts to provide special attention to guests with diet or special food requirement like vegetarians, or special dishes for guests who have allergies with some type of food. If we are aware in advance, we are most than happy to prepare special dishes are on request.
Thank you once again for your kind words and look forward to welcome you back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort soon.
Have a wonderful day.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We check in on 15 Feb for 02 nights stay for 03 rooms with 01 under my name and 02 rooms under my mom name. Park royal always be one of our family favourite place to stay except Golden Sand and Rasa Sayang hotel since we were small. We do enjoy their swimming pool slide and breakfast and our parents love the evening leisure music band. Because of that me and my mom decide to stay in Park Royal while visiting our family in Penang and bring back the good old memories during me and my siblings were small to my children and celebrate our double anniversary wedding celebration at the hotel. However, the sweet memories had being a dissapoint stay for me and my family.

As a travel industry traveller, we do expect Park Royal a five star hotel to provide us with an incredible yet memorable service but 2 nights stay the upset feeling is overwhelming. Upon my arrival to the hotel, we were not being offered any welcome service (no welcome drink). I ask the reception have the anniversary suprise been arranged for my mom and me, and he replied we unable to arrange today but we will arrange tomorrow evening. I was thinking, the request being made by sending email earlier before my arrival and being confirmed by 2 reservations agent and yet nothing being done? I did ask for payable anniversary arrangement and they assure there will be a cupcake send to the room on complimentary but do not mentioned for payable arrangement.

After check in, we went to the room, our room were filled with oversize 2 super single combine (hollywood twin) and no space to walk around. no slippers being provided for us to overcome the cool marble floor in the bathroom. I waited for 2nd day if the housekeeping department forgot but it seem that Park Royal do not have enough budget to provide it.

Swimming pool area, staff at towel service counter a bit unfriendly. Sour face to welcome guest to ask for towel. We rather to have pool towel to be put in the room and bring it along with us to the swimming pool area rather to have unwelcome staff.

2nd days of our stay, we come back from Penang tour and found 4 sad cupcake on my table and walk to my mom room and reconfirmed it. OMG, I totally feel ashmed to her for her 33rd anniversary celebration. I don't expect 4 sad cupcake that I can buy from confictonary bakery to be served. My kids did ate half from one of the cupcake and can't even finished it. Last few month visiting another competitor hotel not far from Park Royal during my birthday, our room being chilled first and a chocolate moist cake waiting for us before we entering the room.

Breakfast - we feel so and so. If we do not paid for the breakfast it doesn't give us any impact. Breakfast line were small and for 2 days not even beef bacon being serve. Overcooked turkey ham served for breakfast. Despite from my little brother story that he good breakfast line totally ruin our imaginary breakfast picture.

Room service food-my husband had flaming chicken and dissapoint with the quality. He can't even finished the first panini and forced to search for outside food on midnight.

Overall, I feel that Park Royal has lost their interest to excel in hospitality area. As a travel industry member, me and my husband feel not worth of spending our money there. Both of us working international hotel chain and resort management, we believe some effort might needed for this 5 star hotel. Even as for normal traveller (my mom and little brother), they were in suprised for the service that they have paid and feel not worth to come back to Park Royal for another family vacation with our new family member in this near future.

No words can't express more how my 2 days in Park Royal have ruined my vacation mood and back to my office, I still thinking foolished of me that I rather to pay a bit extra (even the price we are paying nearly RM500 average a night not including other services that we took) just to move to another hotel rather having a spoiled wedding anniversary.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank lydianasir
Dear Cik ydianasir,
Thank you, once again particularly as a travel industry member , very much for your email as well as your message, now, on TripAdvisor highlighting our failures.
First of all, please accept, once again, my deepest and most sincere apologies; I will personally review, as mentioned, all the issues highlighted by your goodself to ensure an immediate improvement in those areas.
Again, I only regret that we did not have the opportunity to meet while you stay with us which could have enable us to correct immediately and made your stay and celebration more enjoyable and memorable celebration.
Once again, please accept my most sincere apologies for any discomfort we may have caused.
Next time you visit Penang, please do let me know personally and will ensure to set a perfect memories and assure you regain confidence in us.
Once again sincere apologies and look forward to welcome you back and as per my email see you back soon in Penang.
Have a wonderful day
François
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Have a full week with my wife here from 10-15 Feb 2014, and almost no complain except breakfast waitress that a bit look arrogant ( maybe because we come from Indonesia :) )

Beside that tiny problem, this hotel is very nice to stay.
Good room and bed, tasty breakfast with a lot of choice, good beach view ( much better if we can swim ), almost all the staff are friendly

Will go back and recommend this hotel to our friend and family

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andreas N
Dear Andreas N,
Thank you very much for your comments and I will personally review with my Team the body language and attitude to assure we always deliver pleasant and friendly service; please accept my sincere apologies for this most unfortunate incident.
Thank you for your kind comments on our overall operation and the friendliness of our Team otherwise, much appreciated!

Have a wonderful time ahead and look forward to welcome you back soon to PARKROYAL Penang Resort in a not too distant future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

e stayed at the Parkroyal for about a week and thoroughly loved it. Great location, great facilities and the staff could not do enough for us. I am the CEO of a company that works in the customer experience area and this is a great experience. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear John S,
Coming from a company CEO that work on the Customer experience, your very kind comments take even more value to our eyes, thank you so much for sharing, it is a great boost of moral to all of us including me first, it show that our efforts in building great memorable hotel experiences work; thank you, thank you, thank you!
We all look forward to welcome you back soon in PARKROYAL Penang Resort and wish you in meantime a fantastic time ahead.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at the Parkroyal Penang Resort in July 2013 as part of a Mother-Daughter holiday; with my daughter's best friend and her mother.

We are repeat visitors to the Hotel and love it here. Yes, the property is "older-style" but to us this means a more generous design for the layout of the existing, leafy gardens and overall spaciousness. We have considered staying at newer properties but at the Parkroyal Resort we never feel crowded or part of a mob. The property has it's own charms, coupled with the fabulous, friendly and helpful service from the staff.

Location wise, the hotel has excellent access to taxis and the public bus. The Batu Ferringhi night markets are located outside the hotel driveways and you can't help but be in the thick of the action. It's easy walking distance to restaurants, hawker centres and convenience stores = as well as a McDonald's if you are in a strange and dire need of a Big Mac.

Tours around the island are easily organised at the Hotel's tour desk; or step outside and enquire at the many many tour operators on the main street. The cost is very cheap for a driver and a/c car for a tailored full day or half day tour - around A$10 per hour.

Other reviewers comment on the state of the rooms. I agree that the decor and furnishings do need upgrading; however Penang is a wonderful island with so much to explore; and so such little time is spent in the rooms. As a result I feel room decor is a non-issue.
Our rooms (Deluxe Seafacing) were very clean, beds very comfortable and all amenities/facilities were fully functional.

The breakfast is included in the room rate and the food is delicious (stick to the local offerings).

We can't wait to return in June/July 2014.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tric0660
Dear tric0660,
Thank you so much for your continuous support, thank you for your trust in us and thank you for your real nice comments. Real much appreciated!
It is always very very nice and motivating to read about our happy guests, even so it is expected, we love to hear it  thank you so much for taking the time really, really very appreciated!
Have an outstanding time ahead and see you soon in June in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed just recently for 6 nights and overall were very happy with this hotel. It was very pleasant to arrive and be greeted by a member of staff rather than queue at the reception desk and the check in was handled very efficiently. The breakfasts were fine - standard buffet fare, the floor staff were very attentive even during busy periods. The pool area was nice however there were alot of very noisy children in the main pool even though the children's pool was empty, parents should probably have supervised them better or life guards should have asked them to move to the children's pool to make it more pleasant for all concerned. Great location at the start of the night markets and you can easily walk to all restaurants and hawkers centres for dinner.

Room Tip: A higher floor the better to avoid the noise from the road.
Dear whitechristmas07
Thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback, I have reviewed with my Executive chef and his Team our buffet offering to assure continuous improvement. Concerning the pool and children we will continue to improve in our communication to highlight to Parents and also children to use the play pool instead of the adult s pool and do hope to see some improvement soon.
Thank you very much for your kind and generous comments on our Team and glad to know we were all alert to fulfil your needs.
I look forward to welcome you back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort and assure you memorable hotel experiences.
Have a lovely time ahead.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 82 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,321 reviews

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!