“Disappointing and Cannot Recommend”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Disappointing and Cannot Recommend”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I and our 2 sons (13 and 11) have just spent a week at the Parkroyal Penang Resort (22 to 29 December) and I am compelled to post a fairly negative review about what is an overpriced and quite poorly run hotel.

I am a VHA member and have spent 15 nights in 2013 in Parkroyal hotels in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City so have a fairly good frame of reference in addition to being a frequent business and private traveller in the APAC region and elsewhere.

We arrived at 8pm to an empty reception and were greeted in a disinterested manner which was a consistent attitude exhibited by the front desk staff for the rest of the stay. No welcome drink as promised was offered and we were moved into 3 rooms over the next hour (not at our request) as an upgrade due to my membership. The final room was good but tucked in a corner with very limited natural light. The bedding is below par and when you're spending over $400 per night, you expect decent beds and pillows.

The breakfast at the Tamarind Brasserie is very average compared to just about any hotel I've stayed at anywhere, there is always a decent queue (unprecedented even in much larger hotels)which is not efficiently managed by the staff who aren't overly service oriented.

I don't won't to be overly negative but very little during the course of the week gave me cause to be otherwise. From spilled drinks on our last day to the phone ringing out to contact room service on 4 separate occasions, our experience was very disappointing. The hotel is shabby, the food is average and the staff clearly poorly trained and seem to be unhappy to be there. For half the price we paid, this would be disappointing, for what we actually paid, it was our worst hotel experience in years.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Julian S,

I sincerely regret to read your comments only now and not to have an opportunity while you were a the hotel to discuss personally with you and assist to make your stay more enjoyable. I will review all the issues brought up to my attention to ensure serious improvement where needed and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused.
Allow me to remind every reader, we are not always perfect even so we try, we may fail, we are only human but we are willing to change or improve if told while at the Resort, once you are left it is very difficult for us to change your perception of our property. Please accept my apologies once more.
Please next time you plan to visit Penang, do contact me personally and will ensure that you have a more pleasant and comfortable stay and enable to prove you your past experience was an accident and not the standard of the Resort.
I wish you a wonderful and successful New Year 2014.

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
malaysia
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I always love Park Royal hotel Penang. The place is great...pretty relaxing. Best to go during non peak season. I went recently during a festive celebration ..n yhe hotel was packed.
Nonetheless the service is still as good. They tryvto be as accommodating as possible. The staff were friendly and nice.
The breakfast is always good. Lots of choices. You can also walk out of the hotel to get good food at the nearest food court or restaurants.
A good place to be if you dont wabt to stay in town.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ms_CPL
Dear eehc_iliep ,
it is really very rewarding for all of us to read your comments particularly from a returnee point of view, we dearly appreciate your comments and positive feedbacks.
I have shared your comments with the Team and you should have seen the smile and expression of satisfaction on their faces; THANK YOU, THANK YOU & THANK YOU!
We all look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort in future.
I wish you a wonderful and successful New Year 2014.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

As a family group of 9 combining Christmas and a holiday here, this being the 4th consecutive year. Choosing to have Christmas dinner at the Park Royal was just the best. Chef Wong and his staff are to be highly congratulated for all their efforts for a superb tantalising seafood selection. Presentation was very impressive. Waitpersons very attentive on table service too. The whole atmosphere of the evening will be remembered.
We continue to come back to Park Royal for the friendliness of all who work here & cleaanliness. They do a tremendous job. Our granddaughters call it their second home.

1 Thank Glenys1948
Dear Glenys1948,

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU, THANK YOU & THANK YOU!

I am so pleased to read your kind and generous comments about our property and our Team, so glad we made it right and years after years. Our best satisfaction is to not only see our guests coming back over and over again but be considered as Home away from Home. This is the sweetest music to our ears. THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CONFIDENCE IN US.

With the Team I wish you a fantastic New Year 2014, filled with Joy, Success and Great Health.
See you soon back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.

Malaysia
Reviewed December 25, 2013

As usual, how I chose my hotel will be after reading all of tripadvisors advises. This time what was important to us was agood hotel food as the children intended just to stay, eat, sleep in the hotel. The review of food here and the spread were pretty favorable...so there we were..

My eldest boy suggested to me to write in and title as "Do not Judge The book by its cover".Why? Because as we drove from Georgetown using our waze we nicely weaved in and out of the local small roads in town which showed us the charm of the old and new buildings in Penang. They readily fell in love and plan to visit again. As we drove along Tg Bungah/Tg Tokong and all we saw again skyscapers and other hotels and eagerly anticipate what Parkroyal looks like. Boy...against the all new Holiday Inn next to it..the newly green painted Parkroyal (as seen from Jalan Batu Ferringhi) was not we expected somehow...Later on I was told by the children that this was the first time that each of one of them thought.."Did mum actually chose this hotel? Why?" when they saw this old hotel from the Feringghi Road.

Anyway, we proceeded and checked in ..it was smoothly done but later I found out that they didn't accommodate my request for the extra bed although it was clearly stated in the booking form as well as requested verbally. Anyway it may be a blessing disguise as we discovered that the beds in the Grand Deluxe room were huge and can accommodate 3 teenagers easily. So we converted the extra bed paymente for free breakfast for the other 2 kids!

We were greatly surprised by our room selections i.e. the Lanai Suite which is connected to a Grand Deluxe Room. The lanai suite has 5 main compartments i.e the bedroom (with a large king size bed plus a day bed), 2 full size bathrooms (one with a shower and the other with a long bath), living room and a lanai which is an oversize balcony. It is very spacious and with good sea view (though from the side). The Grand Deluxe room was normal except that its twin beds are super twin beds joined together and became an oversized king bed. Now I understand why the hotel insisted they are not able to put in the extra bed in this type of room (during my telephone conversations) due to the size of the existing beds.

Food was good. We did two trips to the Cool Banana Restaurant which is beside the pool as they served good ala carte servings. Portions for some food were very generous for instance the burger. Try the stuff crab, it was so delicious. The staff there were really cool and cheerful. The breakfast spread was good and you can choose to be indoor or outdoor if the weather permits.

The only nuisance is the activities which was not provided by the hotel outside the hotel i.e. by the beach. There are many motorised sports activities provided which eventually limit the swimming/playing area by the sea. It is really busy and noisy. So if you are into those types of sports, you will appreciate it but if you have kids just wanting to play by the beach as the seaside, this is not the best place to be.

As mentioned earlier, this is an old hotel but it has retain its charm once you are in the hotel itself. Some of the facilities are due for repairs e.g. our toilet flush in one of the Lanai Suite bathrooms became non functional TWICE but it was promptly looked into. Wifi from the living area was good but somehow not from the bedroom section.

All in all, it was a good break but it was rather expensive.....

Room Tip: Lanai suite is great for families!
2 Thank ImaMohamed
Dear ImaMohamed,
Thank you very much for your confidence in us and am so pleased that you were happy with your choice of hotel. With the Team, at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, we are delighted to know you had an enjoyable stay and the food quality for which we are renown for were up to your satisfaction.
I will review the toilet flush issue in your toilets to avoid similar discomfort in future, my sincere apologies!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed at Parkroyal with my family for 5 days and had a fantastic holiday! Rooms were cleaned every morning before we even got back from breakfast by Siva.He did a very good job. At the pool side, Salmi was always there to greet us with a smile. When taking our orders, her passion for her job was clear as she shared the daily specials, checked in continuously that we were satisfied and kept us happy with her bubbly personality. One of the best waitresses we've had the pleasure to meet! We were also impressed at how Richard was always around, talking to guests and ensuring the hotel was running well. Overall a very relaxing holiday in a beautiful hotel filled with amazing staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony facing the sea are beautiful.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dhillon2013
Dear Dhillon2013,

We are so happy to read you had a real relaxing and memorable time with us.
I will surely pass your very kind comments to Siva and Salmi, this is for them and including me a real moral boosting to be acknowledged even so it is part and parcel of the job!
Thank you so so much and look forward to welcome you back soon at PARKROYAL Penang Resort

I wish you a wonderful New Year 2014

Dublin
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Roomies Hostel directly opposite the Parkroyal (see review) and came here as a day pass guest for 2 days. Great value, really enjoyed it. Would visit again. It's a good option if you're on a budget but want to enjoy something really nice.

It's about 45MYR per day, which includes a 23MYR food/drink credit. Plus refundable 20MYR to use a big soft towel.

Lots of comfortable sun loungers to choose from on the grass between the pool and the beach. It's about 50m to the water. The pool is also nice for a swim.

I used my food credit to gorge on big milkshakes - two came to 35MYR so all I had to top up was 12MYR.

To save money, I ate at the Sunset Beach Cafe about 2mins from the hotel on the beach. Penang Laska 4.50MYR.

Toilets were super clean throughout both days. There are big shower rooms available with hot water and toiletries.

Security does check for wrist passes/ room numbers.

Staff are great - attentive without bring overbearing.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank NeelaMitzi
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear NeelaMitzi,

Thank you for your kind comments and it is really nice to know you enjoyed our facilities as a day pass user.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I chose the Parkroyal for my recent stay in Penang to attend a wedding at a hotel just a little further down Batu Ferringhi.
The location of the Parkroyal was just fabulous. There were lots of great streetside and beach side restaurants and eateries within very close walking distance (something that is quite important for me travelling on my own). The hotel staff were all helpful and attentive - particularly when arranging transport for me on a daily basis.

I would suggest that this is a hotel more suited to families than single/solo travellers, young groups of friends or couples.

The resort and the rooms were all as you would expect of this kind of hotel. All very clean, comfortable, good amenities, on the higher end of the standard range.

The gym in the hotel is fantastically well equipped. One of the best hotel gyms I've seen!

I did have some difficulties with the spa in that it took three different trips down there to finally speak with someone to make a booking. They were always away from the desk.

I'd have no trouble recommending the Parkroyal to anyone looking for a good place to stay on Batu Ferringhi without breaking the budget.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank missbellejane
Dear missbellejane ,
It is so rewarding to know we made your stay enjoyable and memorable at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and would like to thank you so much for your support, confidence and recommendation in us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!