My wife and I and our 2 sons (13 and 11) have just spent a week at the Parkroyal Penang Resort (22 to 29 December) and I am compelled to post a fairly negative review about what is an overpriced and quite poorly run hotel.
I am a VHA member and have spent 15 nights in 2013 in Parkroyal hotels in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City so have a fairly good frame of reference in addition to being a frequent business and private traveller in the APAC region and elsewhere.
We arrived at 8pm to an empty reception and were greeted in a disinterested manner which was a consistent attitude exhibited by the front desk staff for the rest of the stay. No welcome drink as promised was offered and we were moved into 3 rooms over the next hour (not at our request) as an upgrade due to my membership. The final room was good but tucked in a corner with very limited natural light. The bedding is below par and when you're spending over $400 per night, you expect decent beds and pillows.
The breakfast at the Tamarind Brasserie is very average compared to just about any hotel I've stayed at anywhere, there is always a decent queue (unprecedented even in much larger hotels)which is not efficiently managed by the staff who aren't overly service oriented.
I don't won't to be overly negative but very little during the course of the week gave me cause to be otherwise. From spilled drinks on our last day to the phone ringing out to contact room service on 4 separate occasions, our experience was very disappointing. The hotel is shabby, the food is average and the staff clearly poorly trained and seem to be unhappy to be there. For half the price we paid, this would be disappointing, for what we actually paid, it was our worst hotel experience in years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the lush greenery in Batu Ferringhi beach or "Foreigner's Rock," PARKROYAL Penang Resort is an idyllic retreat offering delightful hospitality as warm as tropical sun. The resort is situated right on the beach and within walking distance to Night Market, well-connected to island-wide attractions including the Geogetown, the oldest colonial city in Malaysia, temples, Butterfly Farm, Penang Hill and many more. It is also situated 45 minutes from Penang International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Pan Pacific Hotels Group, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia Batu Ferringhi