After booking the Park Royal over a year ago, then seeing all the recent reviews we were really disappointed and worried about how the holiday would turn out. When we arrived we could see why some people had said it was tired but it was no different to hotels we have stayed in in Mexico or Cuba.
We arrived late at night so couldn't see much out of the window and we were amazed to see that we had a side sea view when we awoke the next morning which was lovely as I could see the lighthouse out the window flashing in the night and also see the sunsets when we were getting ready in the evening. We were at the end of the hotel where some people complained about the mosque but this did not disturb us at all. Loved the fact that you could walk out the hotel to shops, the markets and restaurants.
During our stay we walked up and down the beach and could see all the gardens of the other hotels backing onto the beach and we think that the Park Royal had the most established and beautiful gardens of all of them. Maybe the Shangri-La would have been a better hotel but it is a lot more money and you have to take that into account.
Our room was more than adequate and felt like home by the time we left. Plenty of toiletries and towels changed every day. Air con kept us cool, free safe. A lovely touch was there were two cookies waiting for us every day when we returned to the room at tea time, and you could ring room service for a free jug of milk to have a cup of tea rather than use the whitener.The bed was huge and comfy.
"Surley staff" had been a lot of peoples negative comments on Trip Advisor. We witnessed none of this, all staff were always smiling and happy to do anything for you, everyone was so friendly and polite. What we did witness was a lot of very rude holiday makers in the hotel, who could not be bothered to say morning, thank you or please and just gave orders to the staff! Also staff were not expecting tips as other countries we have visited. We made sure we always showed our respect and manners to staff and this was returned many fold.
We were there for 12 nights and found so much to do and see on the island and there were still things we did not get chance to do. We hired a personal taxi for the day and he took us round the island wherever we wanted to go. This was very good and we also asked him to take us across the bridge to the mainland and came back on the ferry with the car.
During our stay we booked ourselves on the internet a night in Kuala Lumpur, booked a flight with Malaysia Airways and then the Traders Hotel. We had a fantastic view of the Petronas Towers. We enjoyed this visit but were pleased to return to the Park Royal haven.
The breakfast in the hotel is fantastic and plentiful, in fact it kept you going all day. There are plenty of good eating places around the hotel and we loved the Hawkers Markets where we went for a beer before bedtime and maybe a pudding!
We were sorry to leave Penang and maybe one day we may return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the lush greenery in Batu Ferringhi beach or "Foreigner's Rock," PARKROYAL Penang Resort is an idyllic retreat offering delightful hospitality as warm as tropical sun. The resort is situated right on the beach and within walking distance to Night Market, well-connected to island-wide attractions including the Geogetown, the oldest colonial city in Malaysia, temples, Butterfly Farm, Penang Hill and many more. It is also situated 45 minutes from Penang International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Pan Pacific Hotels Group, Expedia, Agoda, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia Batu Ferringhi