“Not a great honeymoon hot spot!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“Not a great honeymoon hot spot!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here as one of our stops on our honeymoon. First impressions were good. We can not fault the hotel layout, cleanliness and rooms at all. However, when we checked in my wife went to the toilet. A very sorry looking single rose was placed on the reception desk for her. We had paid for the "My Time" package. There was NO welcome drink. We were shown our room and the suitcases were brought to us. Very nice and modern room. As part of the "My Time" package we were suppose to receive a fruit basket and local snacks and drinks. These were not in the room. In the evening I went to watch the football in the bar area. I was offered another drink and as the bar staff brought my drink I was TOLD I was being given my bill. I was given my bill, I signed for the two drinks I had consumed, then left. For a beer that costs almost £6 I would like to enjoy it!
The pool area is really nice and the bar area is great to watch the sunset. Sit there rather than the beach for fear of being decapitated by the many illegal vendors pulling sorry looking parachutes from their boats. Food is nice at the hotel and the breakfast could fill you up until dinner time.
When we checked out of hotel we were billed for the laundry service at full price, which should have been discounted with the "My Time" package. We didn't receive ANY OF THE PERKS that we had paid for. We found this to be the worst stop on our honeymoon for being treat like honeymooners. We was not given any refund which I feel we should.
Plenty to do in the area but don't stay here for a romantic break. Our biggest mistake was staying in the Shangri-La beforehand. That chain of hotels has got it right!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lee C
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear chapez1,

I sincerely apologised for the poor standard of service by not providing you the amenities as it would have been expected as MyTime guest, I deeply regret that you did not highlight it to us while you were staying with us to enable us to correct immediately this accident.
I am personally in public area often to interact with all our guests as much as possible and am sincerely very sorry we did not had the opportunity to meet as being informed once you gone I am not able to change the experience and do sincerely ask you to accept my apologies and sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and make it up to you in providing you memorable hotel experiences.
However I am pleased to know you enjoyed our breakfast and food quality as well as our facilities.
Have a beautiful time ahead.
François

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kajang, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Recently we stayed in a sea view room at Parkroyal Resort Penang .We were welcomed with a fruit basket when we checked into our room. For our surprise there were 2 balconies. One was at the side of the room and it was quite private with a lovely sea view. The room itself was well-appointed, very comfortable and featured a great view. The sunset is absolutely lovely. The perfect place to spend a STAYCATION ! The bed and the pillows are really comfortable, the rooms are quiet. Get a room with a balcony.

We had our buffet breakfast before our check-in. Buffet breakfast at Tamarind Brasserie overall was excellent. I enjoyed the fresh fruit juice and love those croissants. The staffs are sweet and attentive. And for dinner as it was our 12th wedding anniversary We had a special 3 course dinner seated under a well decorated pavilion. It was so romantic. Candles ,rose petals, soft music on background , champagne and a butler! And the menu was designed as a certificate for each of us with our name on it signed by the manager Jegan. It was indeed an unforgettable memory. The food and service was top rate as expected from this Hotel. Every single staff member I encountered was very professional, helpful and genuinely friendly. What else can I ask more.

Excellent service from beginning to the end of our stay. This is a very comfortable Hotel to stay either for family, couple or even business trip.

Would like to thank all the staffs and the managers who made our day special and unforgettable ! Marks out of 10 it must be a 12 .

Personally our special thanks to Jegan and syed for their excellent job for making our stay a good one. We really enjoyed our stay ( So when you are there please look for jegan or syed for they will ensure you will have an unforgettable stay).

PS/ The vicinity of the resort to the night markets and the local restaurants is excellent should you wish to venture out at night and Georgetown is only a short taxi or bus ride away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Diana J
Dear Diana J,
THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your real nice comments and feedback which I have immediately shared with my Team in dear need of such positive and motivating opinions which honestly had a great positive effects on the whole team to double their efforts in assuring we deliver memorable hotel experiences a PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
We all look forward to welcome you back and celebrate many more happy wedding Anniversary with us.
Thank you once again and wish you all our very best wishes for many more years of happiness and good health together .
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a tremendous stay at the ParkRoyal Penang in July 2013. I have to say that it was probably one of the best thus far. My family and I had a wonderful time and we are definitely looking at returning.

The staffs were very friendly and obliging. In fact upon our arrival, we were personally greeted by Richard who is the AGM, he ensured us that if there were any issues that we could get in touch with him. This made us feel very welcome. We were immediately attended to and given a good room with a beautiful view of the sea despite we arrived early at the hotel.

A long time back, they used to give out Koko Jelly chocolates, however this time we were given a different type of chocolate which was well presented to us in our room on the first day. The food in the resort was also good. We ate most of our meal in the resort itself as the food was good and reasonably priced.

I was very surprised that the KokoNut Club worker, Mariam remembered who I was. I came a long time ago in fact as a child and yet she did still remember. My son loved playing there during our stay, it was hard to get him back to the room once he got into the KokoNut Club.

Overall, it was an awesome stay at the ParkRoyal Penang Resort and we would like to personally extend our appreciation to Francois Sigrist who assisted us from the beginning to ensure we had a tremendous stay at this resort.We couldn't have ask for more.

We look forward to going back again and would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to have a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gregory S,
It was with great pleasure and sense of happiness I read your message to my Team whom was so pleased to know they succeed in making your stay a memorable one.
To know we made it right and special for you, is our reward and great motivation to work harder in delivering service of excellence to all our guests.
Thank you very much to you for being a regular and great supporter of our Resort, I must admit our Koko Team is wonderful and so many guests who have grown up with us have found memories of all the ladies working there.
Thank you for making PARKROYAL Penang Resort one of your favourite place for your break and relaxing time.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future and thank you again so much for taking the time to share with everyone your positive time with us, it really meant a lot to all of us!
Thank you and have an outstanding time ahead.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely. Rooms are adequately sized, in fact quite large although the bathrooms could be updated. Saying this they are still clean and very functional and on a whole the rooms are of a 4-5 star hotel.

The entrance area is very large and often busy. It is however clean and it's easy to find a couch to sit for 5 minutes before heading out or upon returning. The pool area is also very big and has enough for everyone of all ages, with waterslides, a good swimming area and clean water it was a favourite place to sit and relax. The ocean area is often being swarmed with Middle Eastern tourists who tend to flock to the beach for the jetskiing and parasailing.

Its location is ideal with the night markets directly out front the hotel. You can walk for an hour or two browsing the 100's of stalls however be prepared as it is very narrow and often has human traffic-jams. Breakfast was ok, not anything to write home about. I expected slightly 'fresher' and 'cleaner' food and at times felt i was eating something which had been cooked and reheated. Also breakfast finishes quite early (10AM) so if you like to go out a little and enjoy the evening, be prepared to get up around 8:30 at the latest to enjoy it. It seems they stop 'restocking' the food at around 9:30AM.

My main complaint about this hotel is a few of their policies.

Allowing guests to swim fully clothed (I understand religious practices, however hygiene is hygiene, and seeing some people came back from a day out only to jump into the water without changing or showering) is disturbing. Additionally, there needs to be more security walking around the hotel floors at night to stop the constant barrage of rude children and adults shouting to each other and knocking on doors for 'fun' at 5AM!!! Certain guests also select a large room and use this as a 'hub' of sorts for their 20 other family members who have not checked in officially.

We were on a special trip and selected our larger room for the privacy and luxury we wanted, however with the other guests behaving the way they were we could not fully enjoy our stay. Other guests of different cultures were also very judgemental to the way we dressed (Western) and often starred and made you feel VERY uncomfortable. If you confront them about their starring, they are quite rude and aggressive back.

Although this is not reflective of the hotel, the general staff need to be more assertive that this is a 4-5 star hotel and staff MUST talk or remove guests who make other guests uncomfortable, especially over a period of time.

The management were very good though in regards to their dealings and understanding of our concerns, however i feel the other staff simply were afraid or unable to act accordingly to management requests. Richard and Ana particularly were FANTASTIC in their dealings with us as managers and understood our situation.

Richard is a MASSIVE asset to the Parkroyal and Ana (service manager) should be commended. Their dealings with our issues after general staff did not assist, made the holiday one which in the end will be remembered more for the good than bad.

Overall a nice stay, hotel and management are fantastic - although other guests and the hotels dealings with these guests let it down.

Don't know if i would return to Penang again, its kind of like a BIG surfers paradise in Queensland, however if i did i would stay at ParkRoyal again (if they change a few small things).

3 Thank Jdubb1313
Dear Jdubb1313 ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedbacks with all of us, much appreciated.
I am glad you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.
If I may I would like to correct that our breakfast close at 10.30 AM but we still entertain guests till 11 AM , I apologise if we have given you the wrong impression and will review our standard to assure better service and replenish faster.
We are so pleased you had a nice enjoyable stay at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and we all look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.
Have a lovely day.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We recently visited Penang and as always nominated to stay at the Penang Parkroyal. This hotel has even got better. The minute we stepped into the hotel we were treated like royalty.
The staff were ever so very courteous and the service impeccable.
Our accomodation had a balcony and the views of the ocean especially at sunset was magical.
Breakfast at the Tamarind Brasserie was the perfect way to start the day.
On our last day we had satay and cocktails in the garden by the beach .
We are looking forward to staying at the Penang Parkroyal again and we would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: The Seaview facing rooms are always a favourite.
3 Thank michael a
Dear michael a,

It is so rewarding to read your kind and generous comments. I can’t thank you enough as it is a real bowl of oxygen for all of us at the Resort as at time we seriously lose confidence reading some of the comments but I am so glad we did it right for you; it is so nice to know we made some one feel good and special!
Again this is our aim, we are only human, we try at time we may fail but if informed immediately we will surely do our best to rectify immediately where ever we can.

Thank you very much for your support and confidence in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
We all look forward to welcome you back.
Have a fantastic time ahead.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have been staying at Park Royal since 2007. Never stay anywhere else,as there is no reason for us try another hotel. However, as a sporting family, we used the gym frequently. While the weights are adequate, but we found other equipments rather old and tired. Certainly in need of replacement. Apart from that we enjoyed our stay every year. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Once, other guests charged their rather "expensive drinks" to our room, but front desk staff cancelled the charges without any fuss. As for breakfast, missed the banana cake and mini egg tart. They are no longer on the breakfast table!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CPC8
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear CPC8,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and we are so pleased that you had memorable hotel experiences, I surely will not hesitate to share with my crew your kind feedbacks about them and we will also ensure to continuously improve ourselves to assure perfection in our actions.
I am glad to say we have banana cake and egg tart full time on the breakfast buffet, we generally have them on rotation basis to avoid guests to see the same item daily and create boredom but as it seems to be a big favourite it will be in daily.

We look forward to welcome you back and in mean time we wish you a fantastic day.

Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Have been to Penang many times stayed at other hotels but have always wanted to stay at the Parkroyal well it will be the last time sorry the place needs a good revamp rooms very tired we were on the 6th floor grand deluxe seaview as a Scot we would say the room had a Grand view from the balcony but I don't know where the Deluxe came into it furniture past its use by date wall lamps covers scorched with heat from globe my wife requested a foam pillow what a mess it was overall we still enjoyed our stay in Penang the staff were all good had no problems with anything meals were fine just will not be going back their it will be one of the hotels down the road which we checked out and stayed before

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear moffkv,
First of all I sincerely regret not having the chance meeting you personally to enable to assist you to my best in assuring a pleasant stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any discomfort we may have caused.
August was a pretty busy month for us and apologise if we were not at the level and did not perform to our utmost best.

However, I am pleased that you found our services provided by my Team as well as our food quality was good and enjoyable.
Please, next time you plan to visit Penang, do contact me personally and let me ensure you have a more pleasant memories of PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have a wonderful day.

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 82 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,311 reviews

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!