“Penang Parkroyal - Gem of Pearl of the Orient”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Istanbul, Turkey
“Penang Parkroyal - Gem of Pearl of the Orient”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Pearl of the Orient, Penang has alway been a favorite tourist spot. And Parkroyal hotel at Batu Ferringhi has been home to us for more than 25 years! We have seen the management changed and today, it still is our favorite hotel.

The staffs are friendly and the hotel and its sandy beach is still in tip top condition. I must admit, last year the quality did drop. The food at the coffee house was terrible then, in November 2012. Even the breakfast buffet was horrible and we did complaint to the management.

When we went again in April 2013, it has improved to its usual self and the food was great again! Its a very family friendly hotel. It has activities for the adults as well as it's famous koko-nut club for the children. you can leave your kids at the club and not worry about them as they will be enjoying themselves and won't even miss you!

and there are enough activities to keep everybody amused and after 7pm, you can walk to the bazaar lining the street outside the hotel.there's lots of stuffs for you to buy and bring home. there are also numerous eating places that offer western, asian, arabic and fusion cuisine and it is so lively, you'd probably will throng it every nights while you are there. you can also take a bus, just outside the hotel and go to the famous 'Gurney Drive' for a melting pot of Penang (or Asian) food!

the bed in the room is super duper King! It can accomodate 4 adults and there is another bunk/day bed that can be converted to a sleeping place. so, in reality, you can have 5 adults to the room if you wanted to. My only complaint is that the bathroom, tho' was clean and adequate...was a bit run-down due to age and it could do with some refurbishment.

the pool is open till 11 at night and... you can just take a dip in the ocean if you wanted to...it's simply is a marvellous place for a family holiday, or even a romantic honeymoon escapade !!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean has the best view. and this would cost more. Higher floors give a better...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear rza38,
Such positive feedback from a returnee like your goodself is so much appreciated and am really pleased to read that you have seen some great improvement.
Thank you so so much for your support and great positive feedback and look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a wonderful, wonderful time ahead.
François

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Basically as the concierge strike we are local they feel that we have no $$ to spend. They only aim for 'white' maybe better tips!! As for me, I felt if the tourists is not coming in your best support is the local customers..

• Stayed September 2012
Dear amy_13777,

First of all I do sincerely apologise for the poor behaviour from one member of my Team.
I always and constantly remind there are no differentiation between customers in any business, we do trained our Associates to assure everyone is treated the same way and remind them the importance of our local guests.
Please do come and visit us again and will ensure we improved and do contact me personally, will love to meet you and apologise personally!
Once again please accept my deepest apologies.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel as it was mid budget and stayed in a standard room, although it had no balcony the room was perfect for what we needed and very clean. We arrived early, staff were excellent and found us a room. The service of all staff throughout our 5 night stay were all fantastic. Location of this hotel is undoubtedly the best in batu ferrenghi close to the night market, restaurant, massage shops minimarts. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to penang

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank boyesystar
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear boyesystar,
Thank so, so much for your kind words and confidence in us. It is very nice to receive such positive feedbacks and do really appreciate you took time of your busy schedule to share with everyone. Such message really honestly provide us with a fantastic boost of moral to assure we serve all our guests even better day after day.
As I always say, we may fail at time, we are only human but by being inform immediately we will always try our best to improve the situation to assure that all our guests have positive and memorable hotel experiences.
We all look forward to welcome you back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort in a not too distant future.
Have a fantastic time ahead.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I'm not really a resort person. I prefer the efficiencies of business hotels, and the charm of smaller B&Bs. My stay at Parkroyal in Batu Ferringhi reinforced why.

My husband and I booked at "Deluxe Coastal View" room. We were given a room on the Western Side of the hotel which overlooked a carpark. Beyond the carpark, the adjoining street, and the row of shops, you could indeed see the coast. In the distance. I guess my opinion of a 'deluxe view' differs from those who run the Parkroyal. Or perhaps I incorrectly interpreted the naming of the room. Maybe I should have read this as "Deluxe room with some sliver of a Coastal View".

Except the room itself wasn't exactly deluxe. It was large, I'll give you that alongside the king size bed, but it was tired. The day bed / lounge seemed to be some foam atrocity covered in 1970s material which I'm sure my grandmother made pants out of, back in the day. The toiletries in the bathroom were nice, and the wet areas quite modern, except for the bath itself, which was grungy and suffering from a sad case of 'strange hairs in the plughole'. Plus the windows didn't open. If one wanted to enjoy their sliver of a coastal view, one must do it from behind a fair amount of glass.

The swimming is smaller than the photographs suggest (not unusual) and the water was always tepid, matching the humid outside temperature. It wasn't so good for cooling down, as it was for washing the sweat off. The "free and cultural" snake charming show put on in the hotel gardens one afternoon was also questionable, though seemed to be enjoyed by people who think poking at defenceless animals is a good sport. Lucky there was a happy hour each night where I could indulge in overpriced, over-iced cocktails to find some solace.

The saving grace for this establishment is actually what is outside it's grounds. The night markets - which have both cheap tourist 'stuff' and cheap most-excellent food star tright outside the door of the hotel and stretch for an age down the main street of Batu Ferringhi. This is worth wandering through, until you hit an impromptu hawker centre, where you can eat yourself stupid with local cuisine for mere dollars.

Dear dougalbean,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks, sincerely appreciated as it is only through your positive criticisms that we can constantly improve our services befitted to all our guests and your goodself.
I am pleased to inform you that we have so far completed 80% of our room flooring renovation by changing the carpet by a wooden type flooring and we would expect to also improve our upholstery and other facilities giving our room a new facelift and fresher look.
I do sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you in a not too distant future.
Have a beautiful day.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had planned only one night at this resort but from the moment we were met and shown to our room we immediately added another night.
The rooms were spacious and clean, the pool well maintained, the food offered great choice, especially the breakfasts, and staff could not have been more friendly.
We felt well rested after this stay.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a "family suite" with balcony overlooking the water. Excellent quality
Dear Alan G ,
How nice to read your feedback and comments, at time we are in the doubt but your message really help us not only morally to try harder to assure we please all our guest similarly.
Thank you so so much for your time and really kind words, very much appreciated!
Have a fantastic and beautiful time ahead.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We don't normally stay in resorts, but after this one we might change our minds. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi and into the open walled lobby we felt welcomed. Actually, it started before then when we exchanged emails with the hotel about a prebooked experience. On arrival we were sat down on comfortable sofas and given welcome drinks while the desk staff looked after check in, then the customer experience manager came over to say hello and discuss the markets and meals tour we had booked. We stepped out of the lift to our room and were greeted by the scent of lemongrass. Our Grand Deluxe Seaview Room had pretty views out to sea and a pleasant tropical theme inside. It really felt like a tropical resort experience rather than a sterile hotel.

We enjoyed the pool and especially the two waterslides: one open, slower and suitable for younger childen. The other was faster and enclosed. The Kokonut Kids Club had toys and a small slide/ball room enclosure. It seemed fairly empty during the day, but our four year old still had fun there. Note that you need to book if you want to leave children unaccompanied there.

The buffet breakfast had everything you might need, including quality versions of local specialities like char kuay teoh, nasi lemak and curry.

The self-serve laundry is a bit expensive and not all of the machines seemed to work. The dryers are very high powered and our clothes were ready after only half an hour.

The beach in front of the resort is perfect for evening strolls, but it's best to stay out of the water. Our son got a mild jellyfish sting wading in the shallows.

There are a few restaurants around outside the resort of varying quality. Probably the best of the hawker centres was Long Beach - try the grilled fish. The night markets lining the street sold nothing much other than the standard tourist trinkets and t-shirts.

Do see the snake show in the evening if its on near the pool. It features a spitting king cobra!

Note that the Markets and Meals experience didn't quite go as advertised. We were taken to Georgetown by the executive chef rather than a local market and there was no cooking afterwards. We still had a great time.

Room Tip: Beachside rooms towards the Georgetown end may be quieter due to the location of a mosque at the oth...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear allrite,
How nice is to read your kind comments. It is honestly the best reward for all of us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort when we read and share such comments. It is a great source of motivation and do help us with greater strengths to improve constantly our overall services toward our guests.
I am glad to let you know other than our room upgrading program in process, we are also improving our Children facilities to assure more creative activities for all the children, it is not going to be only fun but also a great learning experience for them in creating and making things by themselves.
I regret about your market visit experience not up to your expectation and will review with our Executive chef for immediate improvement, please accept my sincere apologies.
Have a beautiful day.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been coming to Penang for the past 14yrs with my family, we have stayed at the Parkroyal for the past 9/10 yrs. The first couple of years was great and the hotel was fantastic.
My last few stays have been much to be desired as the hotel is getting tired and the maintenance is of poor quality. You don't seem to get what you have book even when booking 10 to 12 months in advance.
The past two visits I have asked for an inter connecting room due to having two teenage children. The first time no inter connecting rooms available even know I booked 12 months ahead! They then offered for me to give up two rooms for one larger room the Lanai Suite. That was nice but my kids then had to sleep on fold out beds in the lounge room. And I am sure that I paid a lot more for two rooms then what the one room was worth. The second time I asked for single beds three time I made sure I requested this, when we got here the room had a queen bed for my teenage daughter and son to share I don't think so.
This time we stayed on the 7th floor great views but we had a large aircon unit of some sort right above our room. The walls and TV vibrated terribly and the constant humming noise was terrible.
The room cleaning staff are fantastic always efficient and friendly. The arrival staff need more customer service training, as they don't seem to put the customers needs first.
I was also travelling with some family and friends this was there 2nd and 3rd time back they had room issues aswell and have decided to look elsewhere to stay next time.
Our friend travelling with us was a black GHA member who was entitled to a double room upgrade this didn't happen and the staff didn't even go out of there way to do anything about it. considering the hotel was only 40% full. He filled out the survey which goes to the manager and had no reply for the whole 2 weeks of our stay. Extremely poor i thought and not very professional.
So am sad to stay this will be my last stay at the Parkroyal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank buddhaball
Dear buddhaball,

First of all I sincerely regret and kindly ask you to accept my deepest apologies if we have fail to provide you a memorable hotel experience.
I have review all the issues brought up to my attention for an immediate improvement and assure that you and all our guests receive only the best from all of us while staying with us.
I regret we did not personally meet up while you were with us as I would have love to be of assistance immediately and assure you leave us with more positive and memorable hotel experiences. I apologies if you have not yet received my personal feedback to your guests questionnaire, which should not be long as I have many great feedbacks and take me quite some time to personally go through them individually.
I do sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to stay with us again and prove to you those issues were only accidents and not the usual standard of PARKROYAL Penang Resort. Please do contact me personally for your next visit and will ensure to look after your comfort.
I wish you a real beautiful day ahead.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 84 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!