“Tropical sunsets and family fun”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We don't normally stay in resorts, but after this one we might change our minds. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi and into the open walled lobby we felt welcomed. Actually, it started before then when we exchanged emails with the hotel about a prebooked experience. On arrival we were sat down on comfortable sofas and given welcome drinks while the desk staff looked after check in, then the customer experience manager came over to say hello and discuss the markets and meals tour we had booked. We stepped out of the lift to our room and were greeted by the scent of lemongrass. Our Grand Deluxe Seaview Room had pretty views out to sea and a pleasant tropical theme inside. It really felt like a tropical resort experience rather than a sterile hotel.

We enjoyed the pool and especially the two waterslides: one open, slower and suitable for younger childen. The other was faster and enclosed. The Kokonut Kids Club had toys and a small slide/ball room enclosure. It seemed fairly empty during the day, but our four year old still had fun there. Note that you need to book if you want to leave children unaccompanied there.

The buffet breakfast had everything you might need, including quality versions of local specialities like char kuay teoh, nasi lemak and curry.

The self-serve laundry is a bit expensive and not all of the machines seemed to work. The dryers are very high powered and our clothes were ready after only half an hour.

The beach in front of the resort is perfect for evening strolls, but it's best to stay out of the water. Our son got a mild jellyfish sting wading in the shallows.

There are a few restaurants around outside the resort of varying quality. Probably the best of the hawker centres was Long Beach - try the grilled fish. The night markets lining the street sold nothing much other than the standard tourist trinkets and t-shirts.

Do see the snake show in the evening if its on near the pool. It features a spitting king cobra!

Note that the Markets and Meals experience didn't quite go as advertised. We were taken to Georgetown by the executive chef rather than a local market and there was no cooking afterwards. We still had a great time.

Room Tip: Beachside rooms towards the Georgetown end may be quieter due to the location of a mosque at the oth...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear allrite,
How nice is to read your kind comments. It is honestly the best reward for all of us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort when we read and share such comments. It is a great source of motivation and do help us with greater strengths to improve constantly our overall services toward our guests.
I am glad to let you know other than our room upgrading program in process, we are also improving our Children facilities to assure more creative activities for all the children, it is not going to be only fun but also a great learning experience for them in creating and making things by themselves.
I regret about your market visit experience not up to your expectation and will review with our Executive chef for immediate improvement, please accept my sincere apologies.
Have a beautiful day.

There are newer reviews for PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been coming to Penang for the past 14yrs with my family, we have stayed at the Parkroyal for the past 9/10 yrs. The first couple of years was great and the hotel was fantastic.
My last few stays have been much to be desired as the hotel is getting tired and the maintenance is of poor quality. You don't seem to get what you have book even when booking 10 to 12 months in advance.
The past two visits I have asked for an inter connecting room due to having two teenage children. The first time no inter connecting rooms available even know I booked 12 months ahead! They then offered for me to give up two rooms for one larger room the Lanai Suite. That was nice but my kids then had to sleep on fold out beds in the lounge room. And I am sure that I paid a lot more for two rooms then what the one room was worth. The second time I asked for single beds three time I made sure I requested this, when we got here the room had a queen bed for my teenage daughter and son to share I don't think so.
This time we stayed on the 7th floor great views but we had a large aircon unit of some sort right above our room. The walls and TV vibrated terribly and the constant humming noise was terrible.
The room cleaning staff are fantastic always efficient and friendly. The arrival staff need more customer service training, as they don't seem to put the customers needs first.
I was also travelling with some family and friends this was there 2nd and 3rd time back they had room issues aswell and have decided to look elsewhere to stay next time.
Our friend travelling with us was a black GHA member who was entitled to a double room upgrade this didn't happen and the staff didn't even go out of there way to do anything about it. considering the hotel was only 40% full. He filled out the survey which goes to the manager and had no reply for the whole 2 weeks of our stay. Extremely poor i thought and not very professional.
So am sad to stay this will be my last stay at the Parkroyal.

2  Thank buddhaball

Dear buddhaball,

First of all I sincerely regret and kindly ask you to accept my deepest apologies if we have fail to provide you a memorable hotel experience.
I have review all the issues brought up to my attention for an immediate improvement and assure that you and all our guests receive only the best from all of us while staying with us.
I regret we did not personally meet up while you were with us as I would have love to be of assistance immediately and assure you leave us with more positive and memorable hotel experiences. I apologies if you have not yet received my personal feedback to your guests questionnaire, which should not be long as I have many great feedbacks and take me quite some time to personally go through them individually.
I do sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to stay with us again and prove to you those issues were only accidents and not the usual standard of PARKROYAL Penang Resort. Please do contact me personally for your next visit and will ensure to look after your comfort.
I wish you a real beautiful day ahead.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have stayed in the Parkroyal a couple of times in the past and been really happy with the hotel but we were unsure as to how it had withstood the ravages of time. We should not have been worried. OK the carpets and some of the décor is a bit tired but everything else compensated for this. The staff are very helpful, friendly and professional. The breakfast ensured that the wide international clientele were well catered for. The grounds are lovely and well maintained. We recommend Ecstatic Hour (really 3 hours with great discounts on wine, beer and cocktails) in the garden watching the magnificent sunsets. There was a special excursion organised during our stay: we were taken by minibus and boat to a conservation area where we watched several large turtles and around 30 baby turtles being returned to the sea. We felt quite enriched to be a part of this conservation activity. Minibus ride, boat trip, packed lunch and activity for $20 each was a bargain in our eyes. The Cool Bananas managed to source all the Super Rugby games over the weekend much to our delight as well as the other rugby tragics in the hotel.
Location is great - we often caught the local bus into Georgetown - these are cheap, air conditioned and frequent. There is a stop right outside the hotel. Plenty of restaurants and the Night Markets all within walking distance.
We stayed for 2 weeks in a sea-facing room with a balcony. Definitely going back again

The gym was well equipped although a bit small. We rarely felt crowded in our visits there and the attendant was always helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise T

Dear Denise T,
It is so nice to find out we managed to create memorable hotel experiences for our guests and great to know we see you again in a not too distant future. Thank you so much for your time and real nice feedbacks which I have shared with my Team who were very pleased to hear about it, THANK YOU!
Yes the turtle trip was in some way exceptional and we are working to make it more frequent and better organised for the benefit of all as well as setting a system to give back to nature.
We have loaded the pictures in our Facebook but if you want some I be most happy to forward them to you directly, please do contact me directly.
Thank you once again and have a fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed at Parkroyal 3 years ago and loved it so we came back for a longer stay - 9 nights. Food is still great, rooms impeccably clean and service always with a smile. A couple of observations - the public toilets downstairs are not as clean as they used to be - perhaps more an indication of the clientele rather than any error on the part of housekeeping and its sad they no longer burn sandalwood oil on all the floors (the first thing I do when I get home is to get the old oil burner out and fill the house with sandalwood smell!) I was unfortunate to have a fairly serious infection whilst staying and, while the staff at the front desk were trying to be helpful, it was clear they did not know the opening times of the local clinic or the time the doctor would be in-house - they told me it was closed until 7pm but following a short but painful walk down the street at 4pm I found it to be open. As an aside, if you are ever in need of a doctor in Batu Ferringhi I cannot recommend the Ferringhi Klinik highly enough - they were prompt, efficient, kind and dispensed my antibiotics in no time.

Room Tip: A fantastic place to stay if you have a small family - rollaway bed was huge and we had a bigger tha...
3  Thank Pookie6972
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Pookie6972 ,
Thank you very much for your kind comments and we are so pleased you enjoyed our services and great food quality we are renown for.
I have review with my Team the information about the clinic hours to ensure that we have all such information readily available, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for your recommendation and continued support, greatly appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We loved the pool/garden surroundings, plenty of banana lounges and a great bar hut nearby.
The seafacing rooms we had were spacious and clean with strong free WIFI. The "Australia Channel" provided on TV allowed us to watch the AFL match of the day, both on Fri.and Sat. nights. A great bonus.
The staff were freindly and breakfast plentiful. The beach side restaurant was fantastic, providing great steaks and a great view of the sunset.
The swimming pool was very clean and provides a great relief from the heat.
This hotel is in a great position for the night markets and food courts just down the road.
A perfect place for family and friends to stay.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone as the one to stay in at Bartu Ferringhi.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor Non Smoking Seafacing Room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ashy_17

Dear Ashy_17 ,

It is so nice to hear that you had not only a great time with us but also enjoy our fantastic beach front outlet and our other hotel facilities inclusive our Wifi which we know is not yet perfect as Penang Island do not have yet the infrastructures of some big cities else where but it is coming with hope soon to ensure faster and more efficient internet connection.
Thank you so much for your kind recommendation really sincerely appreciated!
Have a fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked this as a mystery hotel and couldn't have been happier. It;s not my first visit so I was happy to learn after booking that it was the Parkroyal. Location is great. Right on the beach and in the evenings the night market is right outside the door. The 101 bus provides easy access to places like Gurney Plaza for shopping and tourist attractions such as the Tropical Spice Garden.
On arrival we were made to feel special with a welcome drink and asked to sit in the lounge whilst staff attended to our checkin rather than wait at a counter.
Facilities were good. Great pool, Beach access, Zaks on the beach is pretty special and breakfast was good.
Room was clean and comfortable and even the hills view was nice.
For first timers to Penang I'd suggest staying a fews days in the city (Georgetown) to cover all the tourist options as there's a fair distance between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi.

2  Thank colleenhamish

Dear colleenhamish ,
We are so so pleased to have been your mystery hotel and provide you with most memorable hotel experiences!
Yes our beach front outlets has a fantastic appeal not only with it gorgeous sunset show every nights but also through the food and service quality provided by our Team to make the experience even more enjoyable.
We look forward to welcome you back.
Have a beautiful day.
Sincerely sincerely,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I loved the hotel common areas, grounds and beach. The pool area was lush with greenery and flowers with plenty of lounges and umbrellas surrounding a large wandering pool. The dining room was open-air as was most of the common areas, which was most pleasant since there were constant breezes. The food was very good for a large resort hotel. There are many places to have drinks and food - especially cozy was the lobby bar. The room was a bit tired and worn but then if you were looking for the Four Seasons you were in the wrong place. The modest price more than compensated for the lack of style but I didn't come to spent time in my room - it was merely for sleep. The staff was wonderful from the minute I arrived until they loaded my luggage in the cab. I totally enjoyed this property and the beach at 7AM was just glorious.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view is a must.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank cjvagabond

Dear cjvagabond,
I can’t thank you enough for your kind feedbacks about our food quality and our Associates, surely a fantastic motivation to all of them including myself to serve you and all our customers better day after day.
Thank you very much and wish you a beautiful day

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 85 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!