WINNER WONDERLAND

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“A Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Park Royal on numerous occasions and have enjoyed the friendly service and hospitality. The resort provides all your needs and the experience has always been more than memorable. However, this property needs a face lift especially the rooms which need updating to a more modern look in changing the furniture with a colourful decor that represents the traditional Malaysian style. Once again this does not denigrate the wonderful experiences that Julie and Peter D has had over the years. We will return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter D
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Peter D,
Thank you so much as returnee your kind positive feedbacks are really very much appreciated.
Concerning our room, I am glad to inform you that we are presently as I type changing all our room flooring to a wooden type floor so much nicer , easy to clean and more hygienic.
I will post a picture shortly to show the result sorry not a professional photography.
See you soon and have a fantastic time
Very sincerely
François

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Park Royal to me was like a bag of liquorice allsorts. Good, bad and a few not sure about. Compared to other hotels of this standard in Malaysia during my trip, this was the most expensive, even more so that a club room at the Traders in Georgetown. So I had high expectations. Our deluxe room was far from that. I'm not an antique dealer, but some of the furniture, especially the "walk in" wardrobes were circa 1970/80's. It was clean enough but didnt live up to the spiel you get when you book. ie. no welcome fruit basket.

The staff were either wonderfully friendly and helpful or half asleep. The pool was an oasis of relaxation and we really enjoyed relaxing there. The breakfast was ok, in fact I actually felt sorry for the staff who were treated like dirt by some of the guests. You'll know who I mean if you stay there.

The only other gripe was that the nearby Mosque woke me up at 6am a couple of times. So if your that end of the hotel, take ear plugs. We didnt eat dinner in the hotel as the nearby restaurants, particularly Long Beach served excellent food at about a fifth the price. Batu F is a strange place actually. Its quite touristy, has a nice beach but a sea infested with jellyfish. The nearby spice farm is worth a visit though.

Room Tip: East side will be quieter
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank docfun
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear docfun,
I sincerely appreciate your time to provide us your feedbacks.
Concerning the rate, due to the high occupancy during the Easter celebration whereby the hotel was running a full house, our rates follow the demand which could be higher than down-town hotels selling generally at lower rate than beach hotel; I deeply regret any discomfort it may has caused.
I am pleased to let you know that we have already started a refreshment program for all our rooms without any disturbance to our in house guests. Presently all the room carpet will be removed and replace by a wooden type floor, to enable to have a more pleasant , clean and hygienic environment for our guests.
Yes, as you mentioned our restaurant pricing could be higher than outside street stalls, but honestly it is very difficult to be compared with. If I may share with you, yes I do agree in some ways, we may be slightly more expensive than an outside “restaurant” along the beach and surely more compared to any hawker stalls. We need to keep in mind the following, which is not always part of those outlets’ offers and I am sure I can speak on behalf of all hotels and regulated restaurants.
Hotels and registered restaurants (the latter being very limited at the beach side) have to follow strict regulations including: licensing, permits, safety requirements and licensing, health and hygiene requirements and various frequent controls. In addition, all our Associates are paid according to local regulations and generally I can assure you, it is much better, with proper health, social and retirement benefits. Our service equipment used are of higher grade than what is offered on the streets, for example we provide proper cotton napkins and not toilet paper, the food portioning and the quality of food offered is also to be taken in consideration. Also in hotel’s outlets, you drink and eat using proper clean glassware and chinaware, no plastic plates (unless around the pool for safety), in a hygienic environment with clean facilities including proper toilets. Outside toilets are very often, very questionable; and the list could go on. All this adds on to the price, very regrettably, but that is also the price for comfort and safety.
These reasons are mainly why we can’t achieve the lower pricing offered by many outlets outside which don’t have the heavy financial burden in following all regulations that we, hotels, have to follow to operate.
Thank you once again for your feedbacks on which I be working with the Team for improvement.
I wish you a wonderful day

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a part of our honeymoon. First impressions on arrival - a lovely large open lounge/bar leading straight out on to the pool, which looked very inviting. We were attended promptly enough at reception, however, we were travelling as a part of the "My Time" promotion, and in the 5 days we were there, we never saw the My Time desk manned.

We were quickly given our room keys and a very brief run-down on the My Time inclusions, then left to find our own way to our room. On opening the door to our "Deluxe Seaview" room, we were a little disappointed - the room was small, and starting to show its age (having come straight from the ParkRoyal in KL, where we had an enormous, well set out, modern room). The carpets had a few stains, and there was evidence of mould on the shower curtain and the tile grout The bathroom was interesting - the toilet had no door, the shower was over the bath, and the bathroom door did not lock...not quite what we were expecting. As a part of our honeymoon bonus, it was advertised that there would be flowers, fruit and sparkling wine in our room on arrival - we had to ask about this 3 times, and when it finally arrived (about 5 hours after we checked in), the sparkling wine turned out to be a bottle of red (which neither of us drink), and was provided without a corkscrew.

The buffet breakfast was good, with a wide selection to satisfy all tastes. We chose not to eat any other times at the hotel, as we were more than happy to eat in local restaurants and cafes for half the price of the hotel facilities.

The staff were attentive with any queries, however, the business centre was a big disappointment - as we were trying (and failing) to print off our boarding passes we had to ask multiple times for assistance as firstly the printers were not connected to the computers, and then as we could not save PDF files - eventually (on our 4th request for assistance), the staff took pity on us and allowed access to an office behind reception, where I had the passes printed in no time.

Overall, a nice enough stay, but the hotel is really starting to show it's age.

2 Thank Mardi76
Dear Mardi76,
I am personally very sorry about the inconvenience caused and the substandard of service received; please accept my most sincere apologies.
In regards of our business centre, we just completed its relocation and deeply regret it was not fully operational. Our business centre will be unmanned and free for guests to use at their convenience day and night.
Once again thank you very much for your positive criticisms as it is only such that we can improve our services befitted to all our customers.
I look forward to welcome you back and be able to regain your confidence with our upgraded rooms in near future.
Have an outstanding day.

Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I arrived here less then 9 hours ago. We booked the most expensive room -Ocean palm suite. The first room 's Aircon in the living area was not cooling the place properly . So after 3 hours we requested for a change, It was done promptly . Bell boy was good and helpful.
So we thought we could comfortably settle in. Well we did; strolled along the busy beach and had dinner. We just got back. I used the toilet and it didn't flush properly. Luckily I didn't do the big one. I can't be bothered to call for maintenance as its already 9.30pm and I wanna rest. So for tonight we shall use the spare toilet in the living area.
Then I thought of settling down at the writing desk to do some writing. To my horrors of horrors when I opened the drawer . It's was full of rubbish - shopping bags, kids drawing papers, etc. I took a pic of it. Luckily the rubbish wasn't stale food or perishable . Don't know how I am going to survive another night. We have booked till Monday. What a spoil to my getaway weekend.
I have never written a review so quickly. In fact there were many other hotels I have stayed in before - good ones and unpleasant ones, but my busy schedule put me off from writing review about them. So just how bad this hotel has impressed me that I got to write immediately even while staying here. Can't comment about breakfast as I have just arrived this afternoon.
Oh at check-in time they tried to make us comfortable by asking us to sit at the lounge. Lounge was no Aircon and today is really hot. That's fine and understandable. The staff who served us asked the bar waitress to serve us welcome drinks. It took forever to come until I went to remind them. Well it came finally, served by a grumpy non- smiling waitress. What a disappointment .
While waiting for the room we went for massage at the spa. That was good.
FYI my room is on level 3. I am definitely writing to the hotel about this horrible experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DIYholiday
Dear DIYholiday,
Thank you very much for your message and deeply regret we did not had the opportunity to meet up while at the hotel whereby I could have ensure that you have had a more positive and memorable hotel experience as well as personally apologise for such most unfortunate incident. We were running a full house and this is no excuse our housekeeping associates should have ensure that every part of the room are checked prior releasing it, please accept my most sincere apologies.
Concerning the internet, we doing our best to offer free Wifi to all rooms and with a limitation of 500Kbps per room to enable every in house guests to have the ability to read email and visit web site. We are also working on higher capacity as soon as we can get the line connected to us which regrettably may take sometime as being an island this infrastructure is still not fully readily available in Penang as yet. With sincere apologies!
I have already review with the Associate concern about her poor behaviour for immediate improvement, there is no excuse to be found and can only ask you to accept my most sincere apologies with hope you will give us another opportunity to prove to you those incidents were only accident and not the usual standard of PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Please do contact me personally and will ensure you have more memorable hotel experiences.
Have a fantastic day ahead.
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Amazing week in the sun. Very relaxing and all of the staff worked extremely hard to ensure that we were having a good time. Food was excellent and good choices were available. My girls LOVED the kids club which we attended with them (although you can leave them). Zubidah and her team were so helpful and good with the children. I usually hate kids clubs but this was on our itinerary every day. As an EY teacher I was impressed.
The bedroom we had was big and the beds were so comfortable. We moved from 2nd floor to the 5th floor to get a partial ocean view which was great.

You can't swim in the sea there but the pools are fab so who cares!

Only 2 negatives:
We had a connecting door to another room which was locked hut the people in the room smoked (even though you are not meant to). This was horrible and we complained to Reception who did speak to them.

The slides in the children's pool. There were some very badly behaved children whose parents couldn't be bothered to watch them and who started climbing up the slide as my daughter was coming down. She ended up with 2 teeth knocked out. Thank God they were baby teeth! The lifeguard was shouting at them to get off but they ignored him, we went to pull them off but couldn't get to them in time. I think that the lifeguard could have been more proactive or should have asked them to get out.

Other than that excellent. Georgetown is really interesting. The Tarbrush serves amazing food. The mini hawker area in Batu Ferhangi is very cheap and nice food too, especially the roti stall with the amazingly clever little boy who helps his Mum to cook and serve the food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnaHK949
Dear AnnaHK949,
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our food quality and our Team, really appreciated! It is real nice to know professional like you appreciate our good work in our Children club, a superb motivation to all of us here! THANK YOU!
I have taken note on the recreation supervision with the Pool boys to be more assertive with particularly unruly children and apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

I hope your little girl is fine and deeply regret to know about the incident only now.

Concerning the non smoking policy we do our very best to implement this not only government regulation but world wild application but very regrettably we still have some difficulties to convert some smoker to respect others comfort.
Once again please accept my deepest apologies for such discomfort caused.

Have a wonderful day .

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Park Royal for 2 nights in March 2013. It was our honeymoon and we received a bunch of roses on arrival, a lovely surprise :) We had to pay 200RM on arrival so we could charge to the room during our stay - this was unexpected so make sure you are prepared for this. The room we stayed in was nice and comfortable. All the staff we fantastic and very helpful. Buffet breakfast was nice, although make sure you don't arrive too late in the breakfast service or you'll have to wait in line for a table. The pool and grounds were very busy, and the beach reminded me of Patong Beach in Thailand - lots of people, lots of jet skis, and lots of boats towing parasailers. If you're looking for a quiet private place to stay, this might not be the place for you. It was nice to be able to walk right out the front door of the motel and be at the Batu Ferringhi night markets. Overall, a pleasant stay.

1 Thank KPM85
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear KPM85 ,

Thank you for your nice comments on our Team, really very much appreciated. It is always with great positive feeling I share such comments with our Associates and it always come as superb motivation to all of us to preform better day after day.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and wish you a beautiful day.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed a night here after a gruelling day in the scorching sun photographing downtown Penang.

There's really only 4 beach hotels thats worth staying...this hotel, Rasa Sayang, Golden Sands & Lone Pine. As usual, Park Royal is bliss. The room is lovely and the whole resort layout is simply...resorty. Love the mix of guests from all over the world.

The drinks at the pool bar however can be improved. They say resort pool bartenders make the the best cocktails but the frozen blue margarita & the mojito here were quite tasteless. Then we tried the long island tea & pina colada....now thats what you call a drink.

Just a comment on the reception girls though. When we checked in, the reception was busy. The reception girls though had lost focus that a hotel is supposed to be a service-oriented business. It appeared that to lessen their stress, the girls were chatting with each other while attending to different guests. For instant, they never address us as anything. And they were making snippy remarks about the foreign guests in the local language which I felt was really unprofessional.

I thought only visits to the local authorities' offices will you see this kind of 'gossipy' behaviour.

I suggest the Management of the resort watch an episode of Hotel Babylon (maybe should slow down a bit on the Fawlty Towers). A General Manager's job is never easy, and you can never take your attention off from your staff. They tend to go back to their bad habits.

But all in all, we enjoyed the stay. And this resort shall always be our top four beach resorts in Penang.

3 Thank Mauritiusman
Dear Mauritiusman,
Thank you for your positive feedback and kind recommendation for our property, greatly appreciated.
I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies for the most unfortunate an dunacceptable behaviour of my crew at the front desk. I have no excuse to offer but you can rest assure that no stone shall be left unturned to ensure that all our guests receive only the best service from all of us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
But I would like to express my deepest appreciation on your support and confidence in us even thus of such poor incident, greatly and honestly very much appreciated!
I look forward to welcome you back and wish you in mean time an outstanding time ahead.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,300 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
#1 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!