“Not perfect but pretty dam close”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Wodonga, Australia
“Not perfect but pretty dam close”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I and our 2year old daughter spent 5 weeks overseas in February & March 2013 and 7 nights here at the PARKROYAL Penang, Check In was a breeze and the staff were very helpful. Our room was a very good size the bed I think it was 2 king singles but couldn't even feel the join.The bed was so great that I was wakeing up and thinking what time is it and realizing it was 8.30 to 9.00am in the morning the best sleep I have had for that lond in over a decade or more.We had the seafood buffet one night and it was good but a bit exspensive for what you got they say prawns but they were more like a balmain bug.(seafood buffet was cheaper at the Hard Rock Cafe but I don't know what it was like).
Breakfast was good but pretty much the same except for a couple of dishes each day but you could always eat something.
We mostly ate dinner at the Hawker stalls I fell in love with the oyster omlette at 2nd lot of hawker stalls, much better than the one I had at the Red Garden Hawker stall in Georgetown.
I also thing the markets at batu Ferringhi are much better than George town.
The 3 of us enjoyed the swimming pools very much, But if you stay all day either follow the shade or use 50+ sunblock.
Our room attendant (Is) was great always chearful and so helpful just the little things she did with the towels making swans etc. and just the little attention to detail always made us smile when we returned.(thank you Is)
Now to my hates: not big hates but I hope Management listen the fridge was chilled but for an Aussie needs cold beer and the freezer not help and my biggest gripe is how the RUDE people get up early and place a towel on the chairs or lounges and then proceed to go and spend there day doing things and NOT return to the chairs forb hours leaving the fair and honest people to go without a chair or lounge.And to the people who do this DON'T BE RUDE think of other people and remember your not the only person there.
In closeing thankyou PARKROYAL Penang for the best week of my 5 week holiday best hotel I have stayed in out of many
Regards to all staff

Room Tip: we only had a superior room on the 4th floor faceing the tennis court and it was great and quite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Malcolm505
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Malcolm505,
Thank you very much for all your kind comments very motivating to all of us here at the Resort.
We are pleased you enjoyed our famous seafood buffet, yes we are most probably a little more pricey but we always ensure to provide the freshest imported and local food items which very regrettably don’t come cheap. To our benefit , we have many returnee restaurant guests who patron our restaurants very regularly which is a good sign but we keep doing our best to improve our offerings. We have built a reputation for our own buffet on its variety and quality.
Yes we are facing at time the difficulty to police the sundeck chair reservation and we do our best to minimise it the best we can, very sorry for any inconveniences caused!
Thank you once again for your support and kind comments. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a great time ahead.
François

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our main requirements when we were looking for accommodation in Penang was somewhere with sea views, family friendly, nice pool and a room that could accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. We eventually decided on The Park Royal so booked one of their Family Rooms.

Check In was a breeze and the staff were very helpful. The room itself was very tired looking and needs a revamp but it was clean and didn't have a musty smell which had been mentioned in a couple of reviews. The bathroom was clean and had a separate bath and shower and the room was very big (although the balcony was pretty small but did have sea views). We found the beds hard although the manager informed us (after we had left) that they can provide a mattress topper to make it softer. The call to prayer didn't affect us either.

The pool was great for the kids, they loved the water slides and spent most of the time we were there, in the pool. We didn't venture onto the beach except early morning walks as the sea is polluted and has jelly fish and there are a lot of water sports.

We only ate dinner at the hotel a couple times. The fried rice at Cool Bananas was fantastic as was the seafood buffet at Tamarind restaurant. The girls had lunch around the pool quite a bit and we had the buffet breakfast every day (I found the breakfast ok but it got a bit monotonous after a few days as with most buffets plus it was hard to get a second cup of coffee as the staff would take the order but not bring it).

The location was perfect with the night markets right outside the door and Long Beach hawkers market just down the road as well as nice restaurants up the other way. The bus stop is right outside the hotel too which makes it easy to get around as well as numerous taxis around.

We loved going to the beach bar for happy hour and having some cocktails while watching the sunset over the ocean.

We all got sick while we were there but Richard and his staff were fantastic, really helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wendy743
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear wendy743,
Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. We are so pleased you had a good time with us and be able to see by your goodself that many issues reported are not always as it has been described.
We have taken note of your comments on the breakfast and we will continue to work hard on it to assure its improvement.
I am glad you enjoyed as well our food quality in our outlets.
Due to the lapse of time between your stay and this message we have difficulties to find out the reason of your sickness however we hope you were all back in shape in no time.

Have a wonderful day.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed at Parkroyal after seeing reviews on kids' club. We were going on a holiday with 2 and 5 year-old boys and wanted to be assured of reliable babysitters that would give us the peace of mind when we drop the boys off. Glad to say I echo the excellent reviews! My boys look forward to going daily and had a good time there. We had to drag them out of the club to go on excursions! The staff was also very helpful and accommodated our requests at short notice esp on first day. With our kids well taken care of, we were able to enjoy our dinner, go for spa and did night market shopping. Babysitting rate for my 2-year-old was very reasonable for the excellent care and attention given to him. Thank you, Mariam, Junainah, Zubaidah and Lily! Hope I have not forgotten anyone else as my boys were there every day of our 4 nights stay.

Our room was at the side of the mosque. With the door closed, the sound did not bother us much. But for those with acute hearing and light sleepers, you might want to ask for rooms on the other side!

The hotel is not too big, we found it quite cosy. Pool area is also not very big, but my older boy had fun going on the water slide a couple of times. Hotel is in a good location, kind of in the middle of Batu Ferringhi stretch.

Tried St Gregory Spa....loved the massage. Therapists were good. Nice room ambience, but Spa did not have relaxation Lounge or nice reception areas or gardens as in some other Spas. We also tried massages and reflexology at centres outside the hotel... good value for money without the ambience. But if you have the money to splurge, go for St Gregory's.

Can't comment much about dining in hotel as our aim was to eat local food at hawker stalls! Breakfast spread was ok. I like that they have a small area set up for kids to be able to take their own food.

Staff in hotel was very helpful and friendly, whether you are local, Asians or foreigners. We have been to resorts previously where we observed the attitude of staff changed depending on the countries of the guests. So kudos to staff of Parkroyal for being genuine in their hospitality.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Hui22
Dear Hui22,
How wonderful to read your kind message, we are so happy to know we did it right for you and all went well. Yes I am very proud to have such a great Team in PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Koko club team is doing a fantastic job and been always very much an highlight of the Resort. We keep implementing new ideas to build up children creativities and enjoyment.
Real nice to know you had a great time at our SPA and am looking at possibility to create nice rest areas hopefully in near future.
I am so pleased to read about our crew behaviour toward all our guests, I must say we always ensure to do our best that all guests are treated equally and with great courtesy.
Thank you so much once again for your very kind comments, not only greatly appreciated but also a great boost of moral to all of us trying to provide to everyone memorable hotel experiences, it is real nice to know we succeeded!

Have an outstanding time ahead.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had been recommended this hotel by a friend who had been there a number of years ago but found our experience very mixed.

Good points excellent friendly staff and nice ambiance in the hotel grounds.

Bad points -two very bad experiences re the food .Second night we ordered room service -one of the dishes was a Greek salad but it was inedible it seemed as if lettuce etc was left over from the morning buffet or the ingredients had been left out in the heat ,the lettuce, for example, was totally limp , certainly not the description of crisp in the menu and one of the key ingredients tomatoes made no appearance .So for the first time ever at any hotel we have stayed in we complained about it .In fairness the complaint was well handled but of course there should have been no need to complain the the first place.

Then next day at breakfast I got some muesli for my wife and I from the dispenser in the restaurant .I ate mine quickly but as my wife started to eat it she said " I feel something moving in my mouth."She then spat out some insects and we looked for the first time at the ingredients in the bowl and discovered it was crawling with insects.I complained to a passing chef who did not seem very concerned and simply ordered the offending dispenser to be removed.

So two bad experiences never incurred anyway else we have stayed

As has been mentioned in other reviews the rooms are badly in need of refurbishing but there seemed no excuse for the rather thread worn towels in the room .

Finally nothing to do with the hotel .The beach is very disappointing uninviting black water with lots of jelly fish

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlanGibb
Dear AlanGibb,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. I am pleased to read that our Team was found very friendly. However I deeply regret of the two incidents you reported with the salad quality and cereal for which I deeply apologise for such most unfortunate incidents. I also apologises for the poor Kitchen Associate attitude for not making an effort to assist you and apologise for the most unusual issue. This is a first for us and will review immediately with our Executive Chef for immediate improvement.

I do hope those most unfortunate incidents will not deter you from patronising us in future and that you will give us another opportunity to be of service again to you and family.
Please do contact me personally and will ensure you are well look after and have more memorable positive experience from PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have a wonderful week ahead.

Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights last week with 3 friends. We had booked a Deluxe Room with Seaviews. The only way you could see the seaview was hanging out over the verandah and you could see some. The room obviously was falsely advertised and should be noted to be pool view not seaview!!! If it had only been us .. but we spoke to at least 3 couples who had issues with the advertising and what they actually got. After some quiet words with the reception staff (who helped us out as much as they could) we changed rooms to actual seaview but were expected to pay an extra $30 per room per night!!! As I had arranged this accommodation for our trip I was VERY angry. I made an appointment to see the manager the next morning at 9am and spent the night fuming. Some of our friends had saved on light income for a year to have this holiday and paying extra for the rooms was causing them some hardship. The manager was unavailable at 9am and I made another appointment for 10am which was subsequently cancelled also. I was furious by this time and told them to make an appointment that suited the manager and that I would make myself available at a time to suit him. 10 minutes later they came to find me and after some discussion, we came to a financial agreement which I could live with. I guess that a few small things (our new room didn't have a room service menu, the toilet was broken and when room service delivered our food the order was totally wrong) made the beginning of our stay rather stressful!!
Once sorted, our stay with this hotel was great!! The restaurant had a great breakfast (clean and fresh) and the dinners we had there were great. I believe the hotel was quiet when we were there, but we had no problems with crowds or bookings for any meals. The meals are somewhat more expensive than outside the hotel but the quality is assured which was a bonus with one of our travellers allergic to shellfish!! The pool was a touch warm but was always clean and the pool staff were quick to bring cocktails and food when required. You don't even have to leave the pool to drink your cocktail, they will bring it to you in the pool!! Richard (the manager) caught up with us a number of times during our stay to check that everything was in order. Ivy on reception was so helpful on many occasions and the staff who booked buses and tours were helpful.
We booked a head, neck, shoulder stress massage in the spa and whilst it was lovely it was only a back massage (certainly relaxing as no pressure was actually applied) and no amount of explaining expanded the massage to neck and head!!! A bit disappointing!
We had dinner at a number of local restaurants, but the Ferringhi Gardens Restaurant down the road from the hotel was magnificent. It is a la carte, but the chef came out to have a chat after we ate and it truly was some of the best food we ate on the trip. The surroundings were just beautiful and the outside airconditioners made the dinner especially pleasant. We had dinner at the Parkroyal outside on the beach one night and it was just beautiful. Highly recommended.
We met many lovely people at this hotel and we would all highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: You must obviously be very specific to book an oceanview Room with Balcony or you will end up with a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank woodsimmo
Dear woodsimmo,
Thank you for your message and time taken away from your busy schedule to share with us your experience.
I deeply regret the delay in meeting my Assistant which was due to internal miscommunication; not meant to be delaying this meeting as we always take great importance to meet with guest while staying with us to assure we know better our guests but also try to improve where ever we can our overall Services in general.

Concerning the room type the main issue is the understanding of sea facing versus sea view room. Sea view has a full sea view whereby sea facing may not always. Some places will mentioned sea facing but they will have a building in front with absolute no view of the sea. whereby in our case our sea facing room have a view over the garden, the pools and non direct sea view, particularly on the second floor.
I sincerely regret any discomfort caused.
Have a fantastic day.

north east england
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just back from batu ferringhi , stayed there 5 times now and that speaks for it self , our room facing across the bay always cleaned daily , very comfortable , I understand there is to be some refurbishment soon , and to be fair there are places which are looking a bit the worse for wear , the garden facing the sea always well maintained , new sun beds although I found them a bit unconfortable , staff always helpful ,cheerful will go back next year . Never ate ( apart from breakfast ) in the hotel Im told the food is good ,but expensive especially with the added taxesplenty of availability in restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: very central for most things i.e bus service , restaurants , night markets
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amarol
Dear Amarol,
So nice to read your message and we are very grateful to share your positive experience with all of us. It is even more valuable to all of us as you are a returnee, thank you so much for your support.
I am so pleased to know that you found our Associates so pleasant, they are the one who make our property so much different from other places and we are very bless to have such a great Team. We will continue to motivate them and ensure they continually become better at what they do best, Looking after all our guests to assure great memorable hotel experiences.
Our room will be going shortly through a refurbishment program in stages without any disturbances for all the other guests, for your next visit we hope you be enjoying our new facilities.
Thank you so much once again for your support and we all look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a fantastic day .
Very sincerely

eastofeast
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in a standard room.

It was low season or rather, the hotel was certainly uncrowded. This made our stay so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

It is hard to fault a hotel whose GM trawls trip advisor for feedback on his hotel and personally answers queries and complaints on the forum page:)

Our room 416 was very spacious. The 2 super single beds put together was more than big enough for our 2 kids and us. The air conditioning was seriously powerful- very crucial in the Penang afternoon heat.

Our room didn't have much of a view, but that was no issue to us. What was bothersome was that it was probably on the side if the hotel next to a mosque, so light sleepers would be woken by the 6am call to prayer. Rooms eastward would probably be spared that. Our room was also one half of a set of adjoining rooms. We had the misfortune of having neighbors whose child woke intermittently in the night screaming, followed by yelling parents. Not exactly conducive to rest but through no fault of the hotel's.

Housekeeping is top notch. They have very honest staff that they should be very proud of: in our morning rush, we left the safe in the room unlocked, with our passports, tablets and USD in full view the entire day we were out. Nothing was missing when we got back.

The only extremely minor gripe was that the water pressure of the shower head was not as strong as I would have liked... But nothing that warranted a call to front desk.

The pool is probably one of the most perfect for families with young kids. There are shaded areas almost anytime of day, which really helps as kids are wont to spend the entire day in the pool.

There are varying depths: 1m, 1.5m at the main pool and 1.2m at the slides with a 50cm paddle area (completely shaded) for the littlest ones. Perfect for kids to swim about and adults to lounge with a drink.

The slides are also a huge draw. There is enough water flowing to make it a thrilling ride for anyone.

My 5 year old visited the kids club which was large enough and not some afterthought. There was a play area with toy kitchens, building blocks and some trucks and cars. There was a small playscape with a slide into a ball pit. There were also a number of rockers and flat screen TV. They conduct various craft activities daily but my kids didn't do any.

Breakfast is open air with an option to sit out al fresco in a green open space where kids could run around. Food wise, it was passable but I was very happy they had a fresh juice counter for carrot and cucumber juice. I hate breakfast buffets that only have carton juice on tap. It would be nice if the quality if the food eg bread and honey stars could be improved.

Location was superb, with the rapid bus stop just outside. It's also right smack in the middle of the night market, if you like that. We were also pretty close to the butterfly farm which is a definite must-do, as is the Escape Theme Park. ( will be posting separate reviews on those 2 places).

The rapid bus also takes you to adventure zone at Rasa Sayang (or you could walk some 20min) which is a fantastic indoor playground with drop slides. Great for a couple of hours to avoid the midday sun. Open to non Shang guests too. Just bring socks and long sleeve tops.

From the hotel, you can walk to the 2 main food centers: "I Love You" and "Longbeach" though neither had anything really exciting and they only open in the evenings around 7pm.

We chanced apon Jewel of the North, a restaurant across the road, a little way down, that had pretty decent Chinese and Indian food. But it was the most expensive meal we had in Penang. The massage shop next to it was also good for an after-meal snooze.

Over all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Park Royal Penang to families with kids. It's not swanky, it's not posh.... But it ticks all the right boxes for me and it's now my favourite family hotel. Will be back in June again - it's also near enough to the durian plantations!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank lwwho1
Dear lwwho1,

Thank you so much for your kind message and comments, always very nice to receive such positive feedback and very motivating.
All of us, Associates, we are here to ensure all our guests have a great time with us and we are very grateful to know when we do well and even more when we fail to do so by providing us feedback when at the resort to assure we can turn positively the situation to assure our guests ‘ satisfaction.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcome you back.
Have an outstanding day.
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!