“Watch the room you book!!”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights last week with 3 friends. We had booked a Deluxe Room with Seaviews. The only way you could see the seaview was hanging out over the verandah and you could see some. The room obviously was falsely advertised and should be noted to be pool view not seaview!!! If it had only been us .. but we spoke to at least 3 couples who had issues with the advertising and what they actually got. After some quiet words with the reception staff (who helped us out as much as they could) we changed rooms to actual seaview but were expected to pay an extra $30 per room per night!!! As I had arranged this accommodation for our trip I was VERY angry. I made an appointment to see the manager the next morning at 9am and spent the night fuming. Some of our friends had saved on light income for a year to have this holiday and paying extra for the rooms was causing them some hardship. The manager was unavailable at 9am and I made another appointment for 10am which was subsequently cancelled also. I was furious by this time and told them to make an appointment that suited the manager and that I would make myself available at a time to suit him. 10 minutes later they came to find me and after some discussion, we came to a financial agreement which I could live with. I guess that a few small things (our new room didn't have a room service menu, the toilet was broken and when room service delivered our food the order was totally wrong) made the beginning of our stay rather stressful!!
Once sorted, our stay with this hotel was great!! The restaurant had a great breakfast (clean and fresh) and the dinners we had there were great. I believe the hotel was quiet when we were there, but we had no problems with crowds or bookings for any meals. The meals are somewhat more expensive than outside the hotel but the quality is assured which was a bonus with one of our travellers allergic to shellfish!! The pool was a touch warm but was always clean and the pool staff were quick to bring cocktails and food when required. You don't even have to leave the pool to drink your cocktail, they will bring it to you in the pool!! Richard (the manager) caught up with us a number of times during our stay to check that everything was in order. Ivy on reception was so helpful on many occasions and the staff who booked buses and tours were helpful.
We booked a head, neck, shoulder stress massage in the spa and whilst it was lovely it was only a back massage (certainly relaxing as no pressure was actually applied) and no amount of explaining expanded the massage to neck and head!!! A bit disappointing!
We had dinner at a number of local restaurants, but the Ferringhi Gardens Restaurant down the road from the hotel was magnificent. It is a la carte, but the chef came out to have a chat after we ate and it truly was some of the best food we ate on the trip. The surroundings were just beautiful and the outside airconditioners made the dinner especially pleasant. We had dinner at the Parkroyal outside on the beach one night and it was just beautiful. Highly recommended.
We met many lovely people at this hotel and we would all highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: You must obviously be very specific to book an oceanview Room with Balcony or you will end up with a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank woodsimmo
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear woodsimmo,
Thank you for your message and time taken away from your busy schedule to share with us your experience.
I deeply regret the delay in meeting my Assistant which was due to internal miscommunication; not meant to be delaying this meeting as we always take great importance to meet with guest while staying with us to assure we know better our guests but also try to improve where ever we can our overall Services in general.

Concerning the room type the main issue is the understanding of sea facing versus sea view room. Sea view has a full sea view whereby sea facing may not always. Some places will mentioned sea facing but they will have a building in front with absolute no view of the sea. whereby in our case our sea facing room have a view over the garden, the pools and non direct sea view, particularly on the second floor.
I sincerely regret any discomfort caused.
Have a fantastic day.

François

Write a ReviewReviews (2,569)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just back from batu ferringhi , stayed there 5 times now and that speaks for it self , our room facing across the bay always cleaned daily , very comfortable , I understand there is to be some refurbishment soon , and to be fair there are places which are looking a bit the worse for wear , the garden facing the sea always well maintained , new sun beds although I found them a bit unconfortable , staff always helpful ,cheerful will go back next year . Never ate ( apart from breakfast ) in the hotel Im told the food is good ,but expensive especially with the added taxesplenty of availability in restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: very central for most things i.e bus service , restaurants , night markets
1  Thank amarol

Dear Amarol,
So nice to read your message and we are very grateful to share your positive experience with all of us. It is even more valuable to all of us as you are a returnee, thank you so much for your support.
I am so pleased to know that you found our Associates so pleasant, they are the one who make our property so much different from other places and we are very bless to have such a great Team. We will continue to motivate them and ensure they continually become better at what they do best, Looking after all our guests to assure great memorable hotel experiences.
Our room will be going shortly through a refurbishment program in stages without any disturbances for all the other guests, for your next visit we hope you be enjoying our new facilities.
Thank you so much once again for your support and we all look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a fantastic day .
Very sincerely

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in a standard room.

It was low season or rather, the hotel was certainly uncrowded. This made our stay so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

It is hard to fault a hotel whose GM trawls trip advisor for feedback on his hotel and personally answers queries and complaints on the forum page:)

Our room 416 was very spacious. The 2 super single beds put together was more than big enough for our 2 kids and us. The air conditioning was seriously powerful- very crucial in the Penang afternoon heat.

Our room didn't have much of a view, but that was no issue to us. What was bothersome was that it was probably on the side if the hotel next to a mosque, so light sleepers would be woken by the 6am call to prayer. Rooms eastward would probably be spared that. Our room was also one half of a set of adjoining rooms. We had the misfortune of having neighbors whose child woke intermittently in the night screaming, followed by yelling parents. Not exactly conducive to rest but through no fault of the hotel's.

Housekeeping is top notch. They have very honest staff that they should be very proud of: in our morning rush, we left the safe in the room unlocked, with our passports, tablets and USD in full view the entire day we were out. Nothing was missing when we got back.

The only extremely minor gripe was that the water pressure of the shower head was not as strong as I would have liked... But nothing that warranted a call to front desk.

The pool is probably one of the most perfect for families with young kids. There are shaded areas almost anytime of day, which really helps as kids are wont to spend the entire day in the pool.

There are varying depths: 1m, 1.5m at the main pool and 1.2m at the slides with a 50cm paddle area (completely shaded) for the littlest ones. Perfect for kids to swim about and adults to lounge with a drink.

The slides are also a huge draw. There is enough water flowing to make it a thrilling ride for anyone.

My 5 year old visited the kids club which was large enough and not some afterthought. There was a play area with toy kitchens, building blocks and some trucks and cars. There was a small playscape with a slide into a ball pit. There were also a number of rockers and flat screen TV. They conduct various craft activities daily but my kids didn't do any.

Breakfast is open air with an option to sit out al fresco in a green open space where kids could run around. Food wise, it was passable but I was very happy they had a fresh juice counter for carrot and cucumber juice. I hate breakfast buffets that only have carton juice on tap. It would be nice if the quality if the food eg bread and honey stars could be improved.

Location was superb, with the rapid bus stop just outside. It's also right smack in the middle of the night market, if you like that. We were also pretty close to the butterfly farm which is a definite must-do, as is the Escape Theme Park. ( will be posting separate reviews on those 2 places).

The rapid bus also takes you to adventure zone at Rasa Sayang (or you could walk some 20min) which is a fantastic indoor playground with drop slides. Great for a couple of hours to avoid the midday sun. Open to non Shang guests too. Just bring socks and long sleeve tops.

From the hotel, you can walk to the 2 main food centers: "I Love You" and "Longbeach" though neither had anything really exciting and they only open in the evenings around 7pm.

We chanced apon Jewel of the North, a restaurant across the road, a little way down, that had pretty decent Chinese and Indian food. But it was the most expensive meal we had in Penang. The massage shop next to it was also good for an after-meal snooze.

Over all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Park Royal Penang to families with kids. It's not swanky, it's not posh.... But it ticks all the right boxes for me and it's now my favourite family hotel. Will be back in June again - it's also near enough to the durian plantations!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank lwwho1

Dear lwwho1,

Thank you so much for your kind message and comments, always very nice to receive such positive feedback and very motivating.
All of us, Associates, we are here to ensure all our guests have a great time with us and we are very grateful to know when we do well and even more when we fail to do so by providing us feedback when at the resort to assure we can turn positively the situation to assure our guests ‘ satisfaction.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcome you back.
Have an outstanding day.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Everything was ok, just at the edges it's not up to the best of standards. The food is very average with a real bun fight at breakfast. Spa was good once we got our booking. Unfortunately we sat in the reception of the spa for 15mins before anyone came to meet us when we tried to book. Staff were friendly but lightly trained. Check in was a little messy and I was asked to settle my room bill after 24 hours because I had gone through the level of the authorisation are spending that they had taken when I checked in. But pool is good, very good position on the beach grounds are pretty. One last thought, on the booking I was asked to make some comments so I just said that it (really) was my birthday and my first trip to Penang and yet this was completely ignored by the hotel staff. Even a happy birthday greeting from the staff would have sufficed!

1  Thank Gadstrat

Dear Gadstrat ,
Thank you very much for your message, much appreciated!
During busy period breakfast could be an issue with everyone going to the buffet together.
I sincerely regret we missed out your birthday and the information you kindly provided was not highlighted to the management for immediate action, please accept once again my deepest apologies.
I wish you a wonderful time ahead.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just back after spending 10 nights at the Park Royal hotel. Whilst the hotel on first impressions needs some updating, it is nonetheless a great option to stay at whilst in the Batu Ferringhi area. Both the bedrooms and bathrooms are big. The hotel is constantly being cleaned. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Only ate breakfast in the hotel, which was good and caters for most nationalities. Great pool area, including a separate pool play section. There are loads of sun beds, both located around the pools and garden areas. There's a tennis court and well equipped gym. The hotel was lovely and quiet and made a great refuge from the busy areas near by. It is very well located for the night markets, hawker centres, restaurants and main local bus services. The fresh hand made cookies delivered to the room each afternoon were a lovely touch.

3  Thank DappleKettering

Dear DappleKettering,
Thank you so much for your nice message and comments. Your kind comments aboutour Associates will pass to them and will surely come as a boost of moral to all of them.
Have a fantastic day ahead

Reviewed March 18, 2013

In early March we stayed at Parkroyal Penang Resort Hotel and were very impressed with the staff friendlyness the overall quality of this resort. On arrival we were meet at the foyer area entrance by a young lady from reception who took over our luggage and led us to the comfort of a lounge whilkst she checked us in. To add to this greeting we were given a welcome cold fruit drink .
This attitude of total friendlyness by the staff continued through our 4 day stay . The buffet breakfast was excellent with a very wide selection of fruits,cerials and hot foods. The room was large and provided a good view of the ocean. The bathroom was large and the shower worked veryy well.
About one hour from the airport and 20/30 minutes from Georgetown both of which can be reached by hotel taxi services at RM100 and RM40. Hiring a taxi for an all day exploration of Penang Island can also be arranged from the hotel travel desk.However if you already have specific places you would like to be taken too make sure you ask to be provided with a driver who knows Georgetown verywell. Otherwise you may get someone whose knowledge is limited to the popular tourist spots.
Whilst the hotel restaurants are very good outside the hotel either to your right or left are many stalls and eating spots where the great taste of Malaysian food can be enjoyed.
Overall a great spot to switch off and have a very enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keith060

Dear Keith060,
It is so nice to read your comments as sometime with the Team we feel down but your message is a real ecstasy for our moral and can’t thank you enough.
Have a lovely and fruitful day.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed 5 nights at the Parkroyal, and would recommend it to others.
We had a partial sea view room, and though I haven't seen the alternatives I probably wouldn't bother upgrading to it next time. Room was nice and large though, the King Size was two beds pushed together, but comfortable enough. Our room over looked a mosque, so got a little noisy early in the morning and other times, so if you're a light sleeper might want to try and get a room on the other side..
Breakfast included which was terrific, coffee was a little hit and miss.
Pools and slides were very nice, and ecstatic hours was very good value.
It is a trek from the airport to Batu Ferringhi beach, and we didn't venture far at all.
The markets are right on the doorstep and kept me busy most nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the eastern wing to get some distance from Mosque.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AusTryst

Dear AusTryst,
Thank you very much for your kind comments which I will gladly share with my Team.
We all look forward to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 87 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!