“Welcome Mr D. What a pleasant start.”

PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Sydney
“Welcome Mr D. What a pleasant start.”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This is the 3rd time I have stayed in recent years. Hence my appreciation of being welcomed by name before I got to reception.

Booked 2 rooms, 2nd to give me respite from kids. Asked for inter connecting. Early mistake quickly sorted.

Hotel is dated compared to Golden Sand. But who cares? I have stayed once t the Golden Sands and service at Parkroyal is much better.

Great value for money. Staff go out of their way to please.

Rooms cleaned daily. My wife & I are fussy hence do not understand earlier reviews regarding hygiene. We did not experience this. Stayed in Grand Deluxe, and size is good. Remember you are now in Batu Feringhi not KL so of course rooms are slightly smaller.

Buffet Breakfast was varied and good. Day Spa was great. Lots of fun at the pool. Travelled with group of 14 and never had a problem being accomodated close to one another on 6th floor. Even put tables together for us at breakfast and lunch.

Josephine Gan is a credit to this hotel.

1 request. Please tell the supervisor at the water sports the it is ok for her to smile. But seriously she was fine.

Great location and perfect for the night markets.

Thank you and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Abdul D
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 13, 2011
Dear Mr.D,
Thank you for your positive reviews of our hotel and it really made our day to hear that you had a wonderful holiday with us. All of us here strive to provide that memorable hotel experience to each of our guests and it is through feedbacks such as yours that motivates us to strive harder and better to be of service to our guests. We will also definitely convey your compliments to Josephine as well as to the housekeeping team for going out of their way to create a good impression for you and your family. On the same note, we will also ensure to look into the supervisor you mentioned as there shouldn’t be any excuse for not smiling.
Thank you so much for the feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to Penang!
Have a wonderful day
Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Arabic first

best hotel and the location very good in Penang
best hotel and the location very good in Penang

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mishal A
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Dear Mishal A,
Thank you very much for your warm comments, so happy we made it right for you.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.
Have a lovely day.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were extrememly disappointed by this hotel. The service at the front desk when we first arrived was not as friendly as we would have expected. The hotel room was extremely old, even though it was a 'grand deluxe' room and it was far from clean. From the moment we walked into the room we just did not feel happy or comfortable. The hotel pool was a lot smaller than it looks in the photos, however the pool area was not too bad, and there were a lot of pool beds provided, and having a drink by the outdoor bar overlooking the ocean was nice. It is quite a busy hotel, but in a good location in relation to the night markets and restaurants. But there was no getting over the disappointment of the room standard. This hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade, and until that happens I would not recommend it to anyone. Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Janelle C
Dear Janelle C,
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.com but it really is a shame that we only learned of your disappointment pertaining to your stay only now.
We sincerely regret that we were not given a chance to meet you while you were still here at the Resort as we would have certainly assisted you to have a more enjoyable and memorable honeymoon.
It is our commitment to all our guests, that we try hard to create memorable hotel experiences but it may happen that at times we failed to do so and we sincerely apologize. We urge you to tell us on the spot and we will surely try to accommodate the best we can. It is challenging to please everyone but we do try our level best.
At this point, I am glad to let you know we are working on our room improvement plans for next year and will be pleased to welcome you back to prove to you we can make your stay a memorable and pleasant one.
Once again please accept our deepest apologies.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed at the Parkroyal hotel at the end of August 2011/start of September and were disappointed with a number of failings at the resort which led to us checking out early. Our concerns focus around the hygiene standard practised at the hotel, the cleanliness of the rooms and the quality of service provided by the hotels staff.

During the first night we witnessed a stray cat wander into the hotel lounge and climb onto the tables for food. We immediately alerted the bar staff who did not seem to respond to the incident, quoting “Some people like cats, some people don’t”. We discovered that stray cats regularly wandered into the hotel reception, lounge and swimming pool areas each day. I asked to speak to the manager about the problem and suggested that they consider erecting signs to indicate that guests should not encourage the stray cats by petting or feeding them. I was told that this would not be appropriate.

The issue became unbearable when we opted for a meal at the open air restaurant Uncle Zacks, which sits on the edge of the resort facing the beach. Prior to the meal I had expressed concern to the restaurant staff regarding the stray cats and asked them to ensure that they did not come near our table. However, half way through our meal I felt 2 cats around my feet. We immediately left and were asked to pay the bill in full, however we managed to get this refunded on check out. The front desk was initially unwilling to refund the total bill but after some debate they agreed to refund the food plus drinks purchased. The restaurant staff claimed that the cats were in fact pets although this was later stated by management to be untrue. Whilst I acknowledge that stray animals are common in some countries, I was distressed to see the problem within the hotel itself and disappointed at the lack of action from staff.

The second issue was encountered during night 3 when we awoke to discover an infestation of bed bugs, resulting in a number of bites on our bodies, causing a lot of distress and upset. I immediately called the front desk who sent a member of housekeeping up to the room (411) to change the bed sheets. We felt that a change of bed sheets was not sufficient and agreed to a temporary room change. The following morning we were moved from the temporary room (404) to a family room (351) which was by far the dirtiest and most dated of the three rooms we stayed in. More disturbingly we overheard another guest quoting our old room number (411) at the pool towel counter the following afternoon.

Following our room change, the toilet broke but was thankfully repaired and we became aware of a number of dirty dishes and left over food items along the length of the corridor. On one occasion the dishes were not cleared until late afternoon which may have contributed to the musty smell in the corridor. Hygiene appeared to be a low priority.

Prior to our check out, we met with the Executive Assistant Manager to discuss our concerns and disappointment with the facilities and quality of service. It was evident that the full extent of our complaints had not been passed onto him. However, upon a formal complaint through my booking agent (ebookers) I was angered by his response and claims that our room had in fact not contained bed bugs and that our complaints were unusual. This is nothing short of a cover up and I challenge the hotel to provide evidence that the room (411) was treated by an official pest contractor prior to the engagement of the next guest. I also dispute claims that we may have carried these bugs into the hotel, this was not the case and thankfully we did not take them home with us.

The hotel would benefit from a complete overhaul of management and facilities. I would recommend travellers to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Ian B,
Once again we deeply regret the incident reported and as per our conversation and our mail we once again regret any discomfort caused.
Regarding the incidents involving the cats, I can confirm, as it was shared with you by my Assistant, that our resort does not welcome stay animals of any kind in the premises. The incident was most unusual and I sincerely deeply regret the poor handling from our Associates at the time. Those stray animals have since been sent to SPCA for better care. Once again this was a most unusual issue and I sincerely regret that my team did not handle the situation more promptly and appropriately.

As highlighted earlier, the comfort of our guests and cleanliness of our rooms and operation are our top priorities. In addition to the efforts from our Housekeeping, we also engage Malaysia’s leading pest control company to help us maintain our premises pest free. Following your comments, we have immediately inspected all areas of the room including the bed, mattress, floor and other areas as we are very concerned about such pest issues. The reason why we have been doing the extra control is because we view this very seriously and we will continue to remain very vigilant. We have special bed cleaner machines on top of the regular pest prevention treatment to enable us to keep all rooms in its most comfortable state consistently. With our pest control company, we could not find any bed bugs or other any biting insects, even the following guests, in the same room, were never disturbed with similar discomfort.

Once again, we deeply regret those most unfortunate and unusual incidents and as per our mail we look forward to be given another opportunity to prove those unfortunate and unusual incidents were just accident and not the norm of PARKROYAL Penang Resort.

François
Singapore
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My family and I visit Penang often and this is one place we love to stay everytime we come. However, the second time we came, we had a bad experience with mosquitos and faulty airconditioning. We brought this to the attention of the management who promptly apologised and offered us a complimentary stay on our return visit. Few hotels have such prompt or effective service recovery, so I have to say we were impressed with Parkroyal's management.

Overall the rooms are well-appointed and comfortable. The family rooms are generous in size - some with balconies facing the sea. Breakfast is on an open terrace in the hotel's grounds. Very large spread with good variety. The large freeform pool, however, is the highlight for us all. The younger kids enjoy the baby pool and the older kids can't get enough of the slide, the water ball games etc. Although the resort is right on the beach, we don't like venturing out because the beach is filled with parasailers, horses and beach buggies and there is little space for us to just laze around on the sand or the kids to play safely. The noise and the crowd is not pleasant and it would be far better to just stay by the pool in the resort. Great hawker food in the food centre about 200m down the road makes dinner cheap, easy and delicious.

All in all, its a bit on the pricey side but worth a splurge once in a while.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank chongbrood
Dear chongbrood,

Thank you so much for giving us another opportunity to prove ourselves as the right hotel of your choice. We are pleased to hear that you and your family had a great and memorable time with us.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a near future and in the meantime, we wish you a wonderful time ahead.

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed at the Park Royal Penang for 5 nights in August. I have stayed at this hotel on several previous occasions and this time opted for a standard hill-facing room (the least expensive type of room offered by the hotel).

Much to my surprise the room turned out to be excellent. In every way it was as good as any of the other room types I have experienced at this hotel. In addition it had an amazingly good shower, which I absolutely loved.

Breakfast had improved slightly since my last visit. (It needed too.) But it still isn’t anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago.

The location of the ParkRoyal is one of its best features, being right beside the night markets and within an easy stroll of many restaurants.

I’ll definitely go back and next time I’ll be looking for the same room type again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Richard A
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear FrequentTraveller5 ,

We are so pleased to learn you had another real good time with us and that our room was up to your expectation, if not above.
In regards of our breakfast I would love to hear from you, via TripAdvisor message or email on, what you would like to see to ensure we can improve there. we do try very hard to please everyone and make it a real special experience as a first meal of the day and your kind assistance would greatly help us in this direction.
Thank you once again so much for your support and for your great feedback. We look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.

Have a fantastic day.

Woodend, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My family including two boys 9 and 7 spent a week at the Park Royal towards the end of September and what a fantastic time we had. As soon as we arrived you could sense a good vibe about the place, the staff who work there go out of their way to be friendly and accomodating and you could tell the hotel has a good working environment. We had a beautiful ocean facing room with a balcony which was very big, everything was spotless and the pools well they are amazing..palm trees everywhere!!! We arrived on a Saturday and were lucky enough to see the live snake show, wonderful. We went parasailing and jet skiing and enjoyed the yummy food the hotel had to offer as well as eating outside, the Long Beach Hawker stalls are great. The atmosphere in Penang is electric there is so much to do, get out and about as it is so different to Australia and the people and warm and welcoming. The night markets out the front are great too,kids will love them, ours did. I would really like to say thankyou to everyone who works at the Park Royal for providing us with such a special experience, it was truly appreciated. Oh and my boys send a big hug to dog, who lives out front, never did find out his name...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SuziiQ
Dear Sue L,

Thank you so much for your kind message who touch all of us to know we did it right. We are so happy to have achieve our goal in making your stay with us a memorable hotel experiences.
Our hotel permanent and loving resident is called June 
We Thank you once again for your very kind words and we do look forward to welcome you back in Penang.
Have a wonderful, wonderful time ahead.
Very sincerely

#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 84 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!