“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Sydney, Australia
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Nice resort but a little bit ageing. Comfortable nonetheless.

Breakfast was plentiful with much variety. Room is very spacious with comfortable beds. There was nothing really to complain about. Fitness centre was more than adequate and pool quite pleasant. Nice to walk along the beach in the mornings after breakky and no hawkers to incense you - well, some but they get the msg if u don't want to be disturbed.

At Batu Ferringhi, a bit of a hike to get to and back with one 2-lane road into the town from the city (and thus, the airport) so it's a risk if the road becomes blocked for any reason which would lead to the other direction that encircles the island - an even longer journey. So beware especially when you have a flight to catch.

The area itself is a nice resort town with lots of things to see as you walk around that really comes alive in the evening. Plenty of local tucker to eat at and as cheap as chips!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Loinkloth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband & I stayed 8 nights at the Parkroyal & had a great time. From the time we checked in we found all the staff to be courteous, attentive & friendly - from the reception people to the restaurant staff to the cleaning staff. I was particularly impressed one day while in the Cool Bananas cafe when one of the staff was being berated by 2 guests about their room - not quite the right place to deal with this I would have thought & they were so rude I wanted to get up & tell them off, but the staff member listened politely to their ranting & did not act inappropriately towards them at all, although I believe he would have been entitled to - not the best way to try & get a free upgrade. Our room was a Deluxe Seaview which had an angle view of the sea with the biggest bed - 2 king size together. The room was also a great size with plenty of room for suitcases etc without tripping over anything. Plenty of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion etc supplied every day - would never run out here. We had breakfast included & if you could not find something to suit you from the huge selection then there is no satisfying you. We didn't think the cocktails in the lounge were too expensive - you would pay more for them in Australia. There was a group there who did some games/bonding while we were having breakfast & while you could see & hear them they were obviously having fun & did not inconvenience the breakfast diners in any way. The pool was lovely & there were plenty of lounges around it, we particularly enjoyed it after a day out sightseeing. Location is very good - the night market is right outside the hotel & there are plenty of eating places nearby. We got a couple of taxis to places but also used the bus which has a stop outside the hotel. If we went to Penang again I would not hesitate to stay here - so thanks to all staff for a great stay.

4 Thank Lynette27
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Lynette27,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
I am so glad to know that with the Team we have created great experiences through your stay.
Your comments will surely come as a great boost of moral to the Team to improve ourselves further.
I also, personally, passed your kind comments to our Associate, Kuna, on how well he handled the difficult situation and apologise for the discomfort caused.
Thank you once again for your great feedback and support, sincerely very much appreciated!
Do contact me personally next time you come to town.
Have a wonderful day.

Rockingham, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Lots have been written about Parkroyal and Batu Ferringhi in general...all the good points are correct!!! Sure it is quieter than Patong Beach (Thailand)...but that is just another attraction!!. Recommend, go there and when you are sipping a sling in the pool at 9 at night, you'll know what I mean. Thanks to all the staff, you were very helpful and always served with a smile

Room Tip: Get the Seaview with baloncy (Grand Deluxe)
9 Thank Waikikitim
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Waikikitim,
Thank you very much for your kind message above as well as your positive comments toward our hotel and your experience with us but also in Penang.
I am glad to say that now you can enjoy your drink with an evening swim with our pool open till 11PM
We look forward to welcome you back to the resort.
Have a super time ahead.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2011

very nice hotel,well located on beachside and perfect for the night markets.Rooms were comfortable and clean .The staff were very friendly extremely helpful and efficient.Food was very diverse and not expensive.Super breakfast buffet. We will be returning to this hotel next year.

Room Tip: sea view rooms would be good
10 Thank villa003
Dear villa003,
Thank you very much for taking the time to compliment our services during your stay with us, greatly appreciated.
Your kind comments have been passed on to the respective Associates to let them know that their great efforts to provide superior services are being greatly appreciated by your goodself like many of other guests.
We real appreciate your comments on our food and its great value, rest assure the Chef and his Team were particularly pleased, a great motivation, I must say!
Together with my Team, I look forward to welcoming you back at the property.

Once again, thank you and wishing you a fantastic week ahead.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed here earlier this month, and had booked a "coastal view room", which we believed to have a balcony, as the hotel states that "MOST" of our rooms have balconies. We were disappointed to find this particular room did not, sure it had a view of part of the coastline, plus the roof of a building, and other bits and pieces. We then upgraded (at our expense), to a "Grand Deluxe" which was fantastic, and what we had expected. The room was large, bathroom well appointed, and of course the balcony, complete with table and chairs, overlooking, the 2 pools, grounds, and the sea. Gorgeous. The room was well furnished - and we were supplied with 2 bottles of water a day (complimentry fruit platter on arrival), and cookies were delivered each afternoon to have with tea/coffee. The breakfast was amazing, lots of variety, typical of what is available in good Asian Hotels. The staff were very attentive and helpful. One complaint however, was with the WC, it didn't always flush, and to do so, we had to fill the cistern up to the water level, and then try again. The pool area was good, towel hut close by,and lots of lounges spread about the grounds, and around the pool. The beach was lovely to look at and walk along, but it appeared to drop away pretty quickly and became deep, so didn't swim in it.

Room Tip: do your research when booking your room
6 Thank wheather
Dear Mr.Mrs. ..(wheather)
First of all I am very thankful for your kind comments and only regret you did not highlighted to me the issues when we met, as I will have for sure done the necessary immediately to rectify the situation highlighted.
Please accept my most sincere apologies and I will ensure for your next visit to make it up to you.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share with us and sincerely look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.
Have a lovely time ahead.

London
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The main exterior of the hotel looks a bit dated and does not reflect the amazing interior. Perhaps the management could look into it.. like having a fresh lick of paint and making the driveway less bushy. As it is, it doesn't look at all like a 5 star hotel it claims to be. Not impressive at all..

However, when you venture inside, the hotel looks perfect. There is the obligatory pool, the sandy beaches, the pool bars and great facilities including dining by the stars..

The room we were given was huge! I don't know if we were given complimentary upgrades or that is just the hotel's standard but it's more like a suite than a normal room. There are two rooms! Both equally as large ... one is a sitting/ dining room and then there's the bedroom. As a result, we had two balconies with tables and deckchairs... the balcony was huge and extended out all towards the pathway. The view was of the sea. As we didn't buy the room with the sea view, we were pleasantly surprised by the amazing view of our room..

However, breakfast wasn't a great experience at all. Apart from the bland food... (generally, Penang is a food paradise!), it wasn't a relaxing experience at all to have your breakfast with teams of excited women, screaming and cheering.It was only 9 am and they had some kind of team bonding exercise happening right infront of the restaurant. To say it was annoying was an understatement. The hotel needs to realise, that clients go to a resort like theirs for a peace of mind and a relaxing time.. the noise pollution is unneccessary. I understand that they had to make some money from corporate clients but perhaps the team bonding exercise could have been done far away from the breakfast table.. Although saying that, you could totally hear the ruckus created from our bedroom.. which is quite far away from the team bonding sessions. The hotel definitely need to look into this issue, if they wanted to retain some form of customer loyalty...

Having been to other resorts, I felt like service in this hotel was lacking in warmth. The check in and check out was almost unfriendly..infact, I am particularly unhappy with my check out lady. I had continously informed her when I checked out to charge a session of palmistry to my bill. She assured me she will. I even asked her if she required me to sign the bill of this charge. She said that I did not need to. It was much to my inconvenience, when I was chased for the bill and accused of not paying for it by the staff later. Absolutely disgraceful. It really put a sour taste to what could have been quite a pleasant stay.

Therefore, I'd say that this is a great beautiful hotel but it needs to up it's customer service training up a few notches to meet it's proper 5 star merit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ellesheri
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing with us and please accept my most sincere and deepest apologies for the short coming you encountered with the noise pollution during breakfast; we will surely review in future to improve the comfort of all parties.
I personally sincerely regret not having the opportunity to have met you during your stay, whereby I would have had the chance to assure that your stay was more pleasant and memorable.
You can be rest assure that I have personally review this issues with all parties concerned for immediate improvement.
Your kind comments have also been passed to the Team.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the group which was staying during your stay and on their behalf, please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort and inconvenience caused.
Next time you plan to visit Penang, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and will ensure you have an even more memorable hotel experience.
I look forward to hear from you and in mean time I wish you wonderful and very pleasant day.
Very sincerely

Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2011

This stay was meant to be a memorable R & R treat for my aging parents and the hotel did not disappoint. The staff were so friendly, always with a smile and eager to help. They made my parents feel at home from the very start ( just as they step out of the car) to the time we checkout.

I have visited all the major hotels in the vicinity and none has the public facilities like Park Royal. The main floor lounge is hugh and there is a bar to serve any guest who just want to hang around the lounge - read a book, play some games , socialize or after 7pm just sit back and listen to live music. Their swimming pool is pristine clean surrounded by a vast garden where one can sit back and soak in the sun. From the garden it has a large frontage to the sandy beach. Every part of the public area is well layout and gently flowing so much so that my aging parents do enjoy a nice stroll around it.

We book the grand deluxe seaview rooms which come with a balcony - a must if you want to enjoy the room which itself have very comfortable bed. Like any five star hotel resort you have all the trimmings - a safety box, slippers, wardrobe, boutique soap, shampoo. One nice thing is that they provide a pair of sarongs ...... great local wrap arounds after a swim on the beach or the hotel pool.

Location is 2nd to none ..... unlike other 5 star hotel in the vicinity, this hotel is far enough from the local mosque such that your sleep will not be interrupted in the early morning hours. Then at night between 6 to 10pm, the roadside outside the hotel gates come alive with hundreds of local vendors and most of the restaurants and shops in full swing. If you hunger for local restaurant type food, there is Living Room, Helena Cafe and Guan Guan ... the top 10 restuarants rated restaurant in Trip advisers in Penang, all within 5 minutes walk to the right of the road after you exit the hotel gate.

Food and drinks is pricy here but during my stay they have 2 for 1 specials for most buffet dinner ... with menu that is 2nd to none ... well worth its pricy tag. The buffet breakfast is pretty extensive and they change most of the offerings between days.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
16 Thank E-TravellerCanada
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear E-TravellerCanada,
Thank you very much for your kind message and positive comments. It is always very nice to hear from our guests when we do it right and successfully achieve our goal in creating memorable hotel experiences.
We look forward to welcome you back soon to our resort.
Have a super time ahead.

#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!