PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La(Batu Ferringhi)
$116
$76
Lone Pine Hotel(Batu Ferringhi)
$106
$81
Bayview Beach Resort(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$62
$48
Hard Rock Hotel Penang(Batu Ferringhi)
$94
$85
Holiday Inn Resort Penang(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$71
$52
Rasa Motel Penang(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$15
$14
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Penang(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$54
  • Breakfast included
Roomies Suites(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$37
Roomies Boutique Bed & Breakfast(Batu Ferringhi)(Great Value!)
$32
$29
Agoda.com
Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa(Batu Ferringhi)
$154
$122
Shangri-La.com
2,745 results
All reviewscool bananastamarind brasserielanai suitegrand deluxesunset barnight marketpark royal hotelkids clubbuffet breakfastwater slidesfamily roomsnake showlounge areakids poolsuperior roombeach frontwelcome drink
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The staff were wonderful. From the moment we arrived, Selena at reception checked us in promptly and smoothly. Mr Raja in the fitness center was attentive and full of tips on how I could improve my workout. The breakfast buffet was incredible with so many selections for local and non local food. We recommend choosing the option of breakfast included when reserving a room. We had some amazing Malaysian fried chicken at breakfast and were very disappointed when we found it wasn't offered on our last day there, but Chef Bala made a special order for us when he learned how disappointed we were. And he supplied us with the recipe. Mr Sigriest, the general manager, does a great job running this hotel. We could go on mentioning pretty much every staff member we came in contact with during our stay. Had a great time hanging out at the pool and enjoyed ecstatic hour. Great location. Lots to do in the evening and within easy walking distance of the hawkers market. Rooms were nice and the housekeeping staff always greeted us with a smile and a hello. Five days was not enough. We recommend staying one week minimum.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
22  Thank 1,483
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very, very much for your generous and kind comments which really are not only very much appreciated in our recognition of our good work toward excellence but also make us very proud to have succeeded to achieve our aim in providing you memorable hotel experiences.
It is always a fantastic feeling, for all of us at PARKROYAL Penang to know we have succeeded in making someone else happy and comfortable while staying with us.
We, all, look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Parkroyal and we enjoyed our stay, We moved rooms on the first day as we were the side next to the Mosque and as they appear to pray on loud speaker 5 times a day beginning at 6am, we decided the room was not the great place for us to stay, The hotel staff could not help enough and moved us asap and we were taken to the other side of the hotel, which appeared to be nicer, with a balcony and a much newer looking. We were out a lot of the day, so we didnt hang around the hotel during the day , but we did frequent the Cool Bannana's bar to watch some sports and the Royal Wedding, and the screens were great and waiter staff could not be more accomodating. The Pool area is nice, the beach is not great, and is very over run with Jet Ski's and the beach generally appears dirty. This beach does not belong to the hotel, and we found the beach generally dirty all the way along. We arrived in Penang and were generally disappointed as we had heard such wonderful things about Langawai the sister island, but there is so much to do in Penang, and afte 7 days we were in love with Penang. I would recommend the snorkeling trip out towards Langawai, at the pontoon gorgeous, Go to the Butterfly farm and get a tour by a member of staff very good and cheap and cheerful. Also go to the Bukit factory its free and very interesting and makes you appreciate the the Maylasian culture. The Nature reserve up the road that you can get to by bus just outside the hotel, is fantastic to do, do the Canopy walk, and go to Monkey Beach, take some peanuts to feed the monkeys - great experience. I would recommend Sparks Taylors opposite the hotel and cheap, and the tour operators next to the Sparks Taylors. Ask for Dave he was our driver to the caves for a 2 hour drive there and 2 hour drive back and was knew everything about Maylasia and was fantastic. Go to the Hawker Food stalls on the main road, the food is delicious and cheap as chips, im still dreaming about the Chicken Satay. We never made it to Mansion 26 or Hard Rock at night but apprently good night spots, eat in local places, we didnt get sick, but just full bellys with the gorgeous Maylasian food. Breakfast at the hotel was good and pletiful., All over Park Royal is a good hotel, Penang has lots to offer... and the Sunsets from the hotel garden are amazing!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
27  Thank pomme1984

Dear pomme1984,

Thank you so much for your kind and positive comments which I will gladly share with my Team and it will surely come as a big boost of moral to all of them.
It is always very nice to know we have succeeded to create memorable hotel experiences
We all look forward to welcome you back soon.
Have a fantastic time ahead.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

This hotel is fine but nothing special. I hope to write a fair review in order to guide people to what they are looking for…whether it is here or somewhere else.
Positive Remarks:
- Pool – Loved the pool! It is great for children but also allows for some privacy as there is a central island in the middle of the main pool. The kids’ pool had a fun slide and volleyball net. The pool also has lifeguards which are unusual at a hotel and very welcome.
- Night Market & Long Beach Hawker’s – loved having this within a 5 minute walk so Park Royal wins points for their convenient location. Since the food was ridiculously priced and not particularly good (see below), we ventured out to discover a great Hawker’s and a wonderful restaurant called Lebanon. Lebanon has ‘to-die-for’ shish kebabs.
- Spa – our family had a package which involved pampering for the entire family – excellent spa with a lovely view of the ocean
- Free Internet in the Rooms
Neutral Remarks:
- Breakfast – It has MANY choices, variety, etc but no different than any other decent hotel. Food was ok but not memorable.
- Beach – The beach is very narrow as in 25 feet wide. All beach chairs are on the grass and you don’t really have a ‘beach view’ since their shrubbery hides the sand. More like an ‘ocean’ view… There was no surf (at this time of year) if that is important to you.
- Staff – Front desk staff were excellent and friendly; the restaurant and bar employees tended toward surly. I chose to ignore the attitude but it was noticeable.
Negative Remarks:
- Kid’s Club – I like kid’s club where the children are engaged and active. It makes me feel less guilty for ‘abandoning’ them if they are having a fun experience. This kid’s club is just babysitting with a craft every 2 hours. My girls loved the crafts but then would go back to the TV. They might like that but I don’t.
- Drink & Food Costs – I read all the reviews on Tripadvisor so I know this has come up before but it is truly ridiculous the amount of money they charge for things. It is actually insulting…26 ringgits for a drink (US$8.67) & 33 ringgits for Buffalo wings (US$11). I know we are a captive audience who should pay for the convenience but don’t take advantage of it. 2 for 1 happy hour took some of the sting out of the drinks. The only food that impressed us was the Chinese Fried Rice & Chicken Satay (at Cool Bananas) and the Beachfront BBQ at Zach’s. The rest of the food & drink was NOT worth the money.

So to summarize, for the amount of money charged for the room, food & drinks, I’d rather go somewhere else. We absolutely loved Le Meridian in Phuket last year (see my review from last August) and would go back and have recommended it to everyone. I would NOT do the same for Park Royal.

Room Tip: Ask for family room opening onto garden.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Dagny49
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear Dagny49,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience and feedback; I personally regret, most sincerely, for not having the opportunity to have met you during your stay. I am certain if I had, we would have had the chance to find improvements in the many areas you found to be lacking and assure that your stay was more a pleasant and memorable one. However please accept my deepest apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort caused.

Concerning our pricing, if I may explain, our regular drinks are not your usual standard small glass sizes but rather an over-sized glasses often with more than double the volume. Our “generous portions” food concept in all our restaurants results in the same for our dishes. Additionally as a hotel guests, you are entitled to a special discount which, together, brings the price of the drink to a much lower price or equitable to most outlets in the neighbourhood or in town, with exception of the hawker stalls, of course! However, I am pleased to inform you that we are actually in the process of reviewing our menus as we are looking for continuous improvement. As such, your comments are timely and we thank you very much for highlighting this issue, it is sincerely most appreciated!
You can rest assured that I will personally review the issues you have highlighted with all parties concerned for an immediate improvement.
Next time you plan to visit Penang, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and will ensure you have more memorable hotel experiences.
I look forward to hear from you and in the mean time I wish you a wonderful and a very pleasant day.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife, teenage son & my uncle spent 7 days at the Parkroyal Penang & found everything about it to be excellent. The moment we walked in we were met by smiling faces & then without asking, the reception staff thoughtfully put us in connecting rooms. This set the tone for the rest of our stay. The rooms were spacious & very clean & the public areas of the hotel made us feel good to be there. Every single member of staff that we spoke to (or even walked past for that matter) were extremely friendly & always happy to stop for a chat, they are the nicest people we've met out of all the hotels we have stayed at. The food was always of an excellent standard, we are still dreaming of the buffet breakfasts. Everyone at the parkroyal should be congratulated & we will most definately be returning hopefully in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
28  Thank ferrellius
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear ferrellius,
Thank you so much for such kind comments. It is really nice to hear when we succeeded in making someone else happy and having great positive experiences while staying with us in our Resort. It made not only my day but also the one for all our Associates, I can assure you that!
With the Team at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, we are very grateful for your time in sharing with us and we look forward to welcome you back, in a not too distant future.
Have a fantastic day ahead.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

The hotel Foyer and pool area was an unexpected pleasure, I was not expecting much as it was a cheap quick holiday. Relaxing by the pool was great. Also unexpected was the beach. Reading reviews I was expecting a dirty mess, however the water was quite good and the beach was uncrowded.
The room was ok. It appears that the rooms will be due for a refurb in the next few years. We upgraded to a deluxe seaview and it is definately worth the extra few dollars. The other side of the hotel looks over the main road and the hills (with apartments) behind. But again you get what you pay for I guess. The night market was ok, didnt buy anything, but the vendors were not too aggressive. The club a few doors up, 69 Mansion, is nice, play some good music and the staff are nice. Not sure about the pool in the bar, but some people seemed to love it. Very quiet mid week though.
The food in the surrounds is of a good quality. Hawker stalls in Longbeach and Gurney plaza are nice. The trip down to Gurney was worth it for me. Went for a day to Palau Payar, diving was ok, but an easy dive, warm water and a bit to see to keep you interested.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
25  Thank Johnno_1977

Dear Johnno_1977,
Thank you very much for taking the time to compliment our services during your last visit, your efforts and time to do so are, sincerely, greatly appreciated!
As usual I will share your kind comments with my Team as such feedbacks always come a great boost of moral to all of them knowing their good efforts to provide superior services are being greatly appreciated by our guests.
Once again, assuring our guests happiness is our aim!
Together with my Team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Penang.
Once again, thank you so much and wishing you a fantastic time ahead.