A few points for anyone visiting Penang for the first time. Penang is no longer beautiful and I wouldn't swim in the sea but the beach is nice. Please don't patronise the people with horses on the beach. To ensure the horses do not soil the beach they are not fed or watered until they return home in the evening. Batu Ferringhi is now a busy resort with lots to do. Georgetown has lots of sights including many historic areas and buildings as well as trendy cafes, old shops and of course temples, mosques and churches. The town is now much cleaner than it used to be.
We have stayed in every hotel on Batu Ferringhi except the Bay View and Rasa Sayang. The Holiday Inn is good, don't expect lovely public areas or lots of marble but for the money it's good. The location is excellent. We stayed in the tower block, we had room only as we always have breakfast at "Happy Garden" restaurant, have done for the past 20 years. We booked at the hotel reception, initially they would only offer breakfast included rates so we accepted one of these. The receptionist was telling us how to get to the breakfast room and I said "that's OK we will be going to Happy Garden for breakfast". She then took pity on me and we got a room only rate! We didn't eat at the Holiday Inn because there are so many places nearby. Jasmines restaurant is probably the best in Batu Ferringhi, with superb naan bread, kebabs (but not the lamb chops!) and local food.
Our tower block room was what you would expect from Holiday Inn nothing flashy but everything you need including a comfortable bed. The room did have a damp smell, normally air-conditioned rooms are very dry. This may be due to the fact that the bathroom didn't have an extractor fan. I've seen this comment made before for this hotel and so would be interested to see if others have the same problem. Other than this the hotel lived up to expectations. The room was well furnished but perhaps looked less than it was due to the darkned windows.
The Holiday Inn has an excellent choice of room types and sizes. In particular alternate floors are non-smoking. This is very good for Penang. For example only two out of seven floors in the Golden Sands are non-smoking (3rd & 4th floors). Even worse is the Bay View which has only one of it's nine floors for non-smokers and the hotel refuses to take advance bookings for non-smoking floors.
So apart from a damp smell the hotel was very good for it's price range and more comfortable than some of the more expensive ones. It has a mixed clientele from all over the world adding to it's charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Resort Penang, together with its excellent location in the heart of famous Batu Ferringhi makes it easily accessible to the Night Market, shops and restaurants. The resort is situated right on the beach, split into two buildings- the Beach Wing, located at the beachside, or Ferringhi Tower, located directly across the road to the beach. The Ferringhi Tower commands spectacular views of both the hills and sea front and is linked by an overhead covered walkway. 358 spacious rooms with a great combination of Family Studios and Kidsuites, the resort is perfect for families and couples looking for a retreat. To also make your every moment of your stay an absolute delight, we make every dining experience special in its own way. As the only hotel offering speciality Northern Indian cuisine, it will be feast that will leave you with 'spicy' memories. At the Holiday Inn Resort Penang, you will discover an exotic way to truly enjoy your vacation and cherish every minute of it. Right from the warmth of the people, the quaint sights & sounds of the island's rich cultural heritage and the rejuvenating hospitality of Holiday Inn Resort Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, IHG, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Holiday Inn Penang
- Holiday Inn Georgetown
- Georgetown Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Batu Ferringhi