We stayed here for three nights in the tower (across the street from the beach wing). The views from the balcony were great, and its proximity to the night market and Long Beach Cafe (a wide variety of hawker stalls with cold beer and football/soccer on the televisions) is ideal. The room, with its two double beds, was comfortable for our family of 4. We spent 30 minutes on the beach but heard too many horror stories about the water to go swimming (it looked fine, and I saw no jellyfish or oil). The pool area is quite nice and includes a wading pool for small children.
Cons: Expensive internet. However, they were nice enough to let me use the business centre for a few minutes to check-in for our flights without charge, and RM$1 per page for printing is not outrageous. Also, I could not figure out how they priced the phone calls. Most local calls were pretty cheap, but some numbers resulted in charges of RM$5 or more.
Other Interesting Sites: One night, while parking the car right next to the tower's reception area, I was approached by a "woman" who wanted to show me something that I did not think she had (unless "she" has had an operation). She was quite persistent and even tried to open the passenger door to get in at one point. She eventually accepted my refusals, but I was worried that she had plans to rob someone or steal from a car. Unfortunately, there was no one at the front desk when I went inside, but I saw from our balcony that "she" had returned to the outer corner of the parking lot to proposition the next person and was not trying to break into any vehicles. So, I gave "her" the benefit of the doubt and let it go.
After all the excessive phone charges, taxes, etc. we wound up paying more than $100 USD/night. I wish we had booked the service apartment at Gurney Hotel, which included breakfast and internet, for a bit less.
If you are there to enjoy walks on the beach, some time in the pool, and shopping for knock-off DVDs and purses, I recommend it (just don't use the phone). If you also plan to spend time in Georgetown or other parts of the island, I would probably recommend that you stay somewhere downtown, on Gurney Drive, or in Tanjung Bungah. The beach is nothing special, the food is better elsewhere, and the night market closes up shop around 11:00 pm anyway. Take a drive up there one day and night but stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Resort Penang, together with its excellent location in the heart of famous Batu Ferringhi makes it easily accessible to the Night Market, shops and restaurants. The resort is situated right on the beach, split into two buildings- the Beach Wing, located at the beachside, or Ferringhi Tower, located directly across the road to the beach. The Ferringhi Tower commands spectacular views of both the hills and sea front and is linked by an overhead covered walkway. 358 spacious rooms with a great combination of Family Studios and Kidsuites, the resort is perfect for families and couples looking for a retreat. To also make your every moment of your stay an absolute delight, we make every dining experience special in its own way. As the only hotel offering speciality Northern Indian cuisine, it will be feast that will leave you with 'spicy' memories. At the Holiday Inn Resort Penang, you will discover an exotic way to truly enjoy your vacation and cherish every minute of it. Right from the warmth of the people, the quaint sights & sounds of the island's rich cultural heritage and the rejuvenating hospitality of Holiday Inn Resort Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Holiday Inn Penang
- Holiday Inn Georgetown
- Georgetown Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Batu Ferringhi