“For a 3 star, well worth it”

Holiday Inn Resort Penang
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed February 3, 2009

Rooms with 2 queen beds were very large, allowing ample elbow room and relax time. Balcony facing the hillside was great as it was much quieter than the seaside or road. Overall well maintained but the property will be in need of a facelift in the near future. Staff was great however and tried to make up for the 'getting tired' look of the property. But when you look at all the properties near by, this is by far the best. Food pretty bland however, catering to those western types (us included), but there are lots of great restaurants within minutes so no big deal. Large mini-fridge was empty which was great as well, allowing us to stock up on fruit or drinks bought in town. We were looking to relax and were able to without a problem.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,303)

Reviewed January 10, 2009

We weren't expecting luxury - we were expecing a decent resort hotel and that's exactly what we got. Room, including bathroom, were spacious and of a good standard - although cleaning standards weren't perfect. Staff were friendly and nice. We were quite happy with our stay.

2  Thank LondonRicardo
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I believe a holiday is what you make of it. We have been to Penang a few times before and loved it everytime. However, as much as I don't agree with some of the views of other reviewers for this hotel and Parkroyal, I guess everyone has different opinions. We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Penang! The rooms were comfy enough if a little tired in some aspects but I've stayed in worse in Bali. Okay, the beds were a bit hard but no more uncomfortable than my own at home. Rooms were cleaned everyday to my satisfaction. Sometimes housekeeping would check in the afternoon if we needed anymore towels or bottled water. Twice during our stay, room service brought up a complimentary gift box with malaysian sweets. Breakfast was brilliant! Huge variety to cater for all different guests. Only complaint about restaurant (this is overall Malaysia not just the hotel) is having to sit next to people in the alfresco area who light up their cigarette straight after they have finished eating. Sorry, I think smoking should be banned from all eating areas! Anyway pool area is a bit small but plenty of lounge chairs available and yes you do get the usual tourists that reserve their chair for the whole day even if they are not there all day (GRRRR). The pool staff were wonderful, throwing balls to the kids, playing music etc. My kids absolutely loved the hotel. They would have stayed in hotel all day if it wasn't for us dragging them out to Georgetown. All the kids at the hotel loved playing table tennis and pool volleyball. There's also a games room with billiards table and darts and video games. My four year old loved the kids club. The ladies running that were so lovely. We used in-room internet once but had no problems with access, it was slow at one stage but later on in the day it sped up. Other times we used the internet cafe across the road. We had a room in the beach wing looking out to the hillside and had no problems with outside noise. I agree that the hotel should probably have a free shuttle bus but from previous experience at other hotels it was always hard to get a seat. The aircon red public bus was only 2 Ringget and services were regular. We loved Penang and loved the Holiday Inn. Overall ,satisfaction for price we paid.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank MissFreo
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Where do I start?

I was "downgraded" when I arrived (and as a Platinum Priority Club member, I'm supposed to be upgraded!) and after asking for a room change, I was eventually given a room in the tower.

The hotel is quite large and occupies a very narrow strip of beach (probably about 70m wide?) The pool and garden area are very small and at full occupancy, you won't get a lounger unless you are out before 8 to put your towel out.

The water is brown (from the muddy sea bed?) and the beach is covered with sad looking horses, quad bikes and a number of dodgy looking parasailing/jetski operators. Quite a few jellyfish hanging around on the beach too...

Rooms and amenities are poor. Door to balcony didn't open properly (and thus didn't lock) Shower water came back up through the bathroom drain and the plumbing system in the tower was unbelievably noisy. Internet is a nightmare to organise, and at RM57 per 24 hours is daylight robbery... No one from the hotel is able to help organise this or solve problems as they outsource provision to an external company - so I had to call the company the 2 days I wanted to use the connection... Even when successfully connected it was willfully slow.

Breakfast is passable... Service particularly poor... We had to queue for 5 minutes this morning (it was more like a school refectory than a 4 star "resort" and were eventually shown to a table where food had been dropped onto the floor and when we asked if this could be cleaned up, we were asked to "just sit around the other side"...

That was the final straw... After 7 days at this RM550++ resort I went online and booked an executive room at the amazing G hotel in the centre of Penang for only RM370++.

I have therefore gone from the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, to one of the best. I will be sending a letter of complaint to Holiday Inn, but having gone through this thread - it seems the hotel isn't interested in improving. If only I had read the "like a Malaysian Fawlty Towers" before booking...

Batu Ferringhi itself is a horrible "tourist trap" of a place. The "famous" night market outside the hotel is basically a rotating parade of illegal copies of CD's, handbags, DVDs and clothing, followed by the odd 'craft' stall. Despite Malaysia's tough copyright laws, it seems that not only is a blind eye turned to this, it is sold as an attractive part of a trip to Batu Ferringhi... The stallholders pack up at between midnight-1 AM, so make sure you're not trying to get to sleep at this time...

There are some particularly good restaurants around here though... Jewel of the North serving great "tourist Indian" curry.. And a restaurant "Ferringhi Cafe?" or something...

My final complaint about this place has to be the transport options. A public bus to Georgetown, according to an earlier poster is RM2... Holiday Inn's shuttle bus is RM8 (Shangri La's? Gratis) A taxi with the meter on is around RM12... Trouble is, as a white tourist, taxis flatly refuse to use the meter and the standard price including white tax is RM35 each way.

All in all, a truly miserable place.
Having managed to get out, I am enjoying Penang even more... I came for 10 days to have a relaxing, tropical island holiday and I only wish I had booked into a hotel in Georgetown (Or perhaps the Shangri La) in the first place.

I will think twice before awarding my next stay to the Holiday Inn brand.

:-(

5  Thank HKFF
Reviewed December 21, 2008

This is my 2nd time staying at the Holiday Inn Penang Tower. However this time around, I feel that the hotel has not lived up to its expectations. Firstly, check-in was rather slow (with only 1 staff) manning the counter during peak hrs, secondly the bell boy did not even offer to carry our bags (we had three bags) but just looked at us.

Rooms - pretty clean but dated at the same time, room came with only 2 pillows (yea, I can ask for more) but isnt 2 pillows by default too little? Tv used was dated but the channels selections were good. Bed was slightly too hard to my liking. I also had kids running up and down the corridors whilst I was trying to sleep.

Location - Excellent to the night market area

1  Thank merk_kl
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I've been there for business purpose. The location was strategic with many attractions such as beaches, night market with a lot af stuffs, shops, restaurants and much more. The room was above average - Holiday Inn, Malacca is much better. Public transports also easily to get. But for me hanging around near the hotel was enough.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank purpleBlossom
Reviewed December 17, 2008

it was great! the room is big clean the bed was very soft the pillow and the blanket was so nice!the television was good the channels we like was all in there the toilet was big nice and clean jthe facilities there was great it was good i loved the beach and the banana boat provided by the hotel the pool was also great the kids and the adults pool was seperated but the pool was very sandy many sand in there... but still great i saw one children drinking the pool water and spiting is back out! haha many ppl frm other countries also was staying there i really love the hotel but..! the hotel aircond was so cold!!! checking in smooth and i loved the hotel i suggest u al to go to this hotel even its 4 star i will rate it 5 star..

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
#1 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Penang? Share your experiences!