“Good and friendly hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Penang

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Resort Penang
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
usa
“Good and friendly hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just came back from another stay at this hotel.Despite the extensive renovations going on the management and staff did not miss a beat it was business as usual.The friendly staff make this hotel and the amount of people that keep coming back regularly means they must be doing something right. The new high tech cafe which we were told should be ready the end of July,and the new food menu with tenderloin steaks,grilled salmon steaks which we had were perfect and the chef assured us there was more to come, so looking forward to our next visit.
If there is something you are not happy about (Don't go home and complain) tell them about and if it's possible they will fix it.The staff go all out to make your stay a pleasant one.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abcdefgh0122977405
Matt_Beroujon, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear abcdefgh012297,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review on Tripadvisor about your stay in our Resort. I am very pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our team provided you with an attentive and friendly service.

I am happy to confirm that the refurbishment of our restaurant has been completed. We greatly appreciate your compliments about our new food menu in the restaurant. It is indeed through the smallest details that we strive to provide a high quality of service to all our guests. I will definitely share your comments with the team and I am sure that feedback like yours will serve as an encouragement to all of them.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

With best regards,
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

1) I called up and make booking asking for 1 king 2 single hill view non smoking room, however the staff offered me a different room type which I thought is the same as what I wanted.

2) Next day I called up again to check just to make sure my booking is confirmed and the reservation staff said the room I book is a 2 double tower hill view non smoking, well, I'm fine with that and just add on for 1 more room.

3) Upon checked in, given a book of vouchers from the receptionist. We noticed there's a voucher can have discount on meal, we asked if we can use it for breakfast, the staff say no without clarify with supervisor or manager. We called back later and spoken to the Duty Manager and confirmed can be use for breakfast. We feel so disappointed no one get back to us about the wrong information until we clarify again with the manager. Service of the receptionist is not good enough. No extra mile.

4) The maid on the 16th floor seems like not really helpful and polite. On the next day, we are getting ready to explore the city again and one of my friend was thirsty, he saw the maid and asking for a bottle of mineral water, the maid answered " I will place it in the room ". Well, this is not an answer we expected. Anyhow, my friend still get the mineral water from the maid. Again, my friend was requesting the maid to make up the room and the maid answered " I know my job " in a very sarcastic way, which we think is really too much. How could you answered your guest in that way?

5) We have 2 rooms 1630 & 1633. The room was clean and spacious and comfortable. . However, we have a problem with the toilet flushing, we asked for maintenance to fix and at the mean time we rushing to go out. We informed to receptionist just ask the maintenance to enter our room and we was told that guest must be in the room then only they can fix. This is my first time heard that the maintenance can't enter to room without the guest inside. We are not going to waste our time to wait for the maintenance to done his job, we want to explore the city! We want to be out not to stay in the room wasting our time and this is not our problem. We informed the receptionist to assist the maintenance to our room, there's no such thing that they can't enter if guest is not inside. Again, where's the service?

6) Breakfast is just so so, hot tea is cold and cappuccino doesn't taste like cappuccino.

7) At night, we request for mineral water was told is chargeable. Come on, 4 star hotel should not charge for mineral water, hotel should be more flexible especially resort. This is not acceptable.

8) Hotel has spacious parking lots and provides free parking.

Staff should be more polite and helpful. Extra mile to guest is a must. Service is very important, I don't think the staff in this hotel know how important the service is.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Florence C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Florence C,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note that you found our room clean and spacious as well as with parking facility. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

However, it sounds like we failed to provide an outstanding performance with regard to front office and housekeeping services. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in the tower facing the sea. The view seas very good. We had a high floor so there ewas little or no noise from the busy street below. The room was great and the staff were all very helpful. The pool and restaurant area was very relaxing although if children having fun in the area are not your style, maybe not. We had an very good buffet dinner one night. The seafood was below par however. Seemed like packaged and not fresh. Overall I would return to this place.

Room Tip: The tower is a short walk to the pool and beach. Not a problem. Quiet rooms are above the 9th. Food...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matt_Beroujon, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear nharv33,

Warmest greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang.

Many thanks for the valuable feedback that you have posted on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a memorable experience and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your tremendous compliments about our team and facilities.

Thank you for your compliments on our buffet dinner and I have noted your feedback on the quality of seafood being served during the dinner. I have personally followed up with our Executive Chef for further improvement to ensure that we maintain a high quality of product to all of our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I love the firm thick bed and the fact that they give abundant towels. Service was good. Free newspaper every morning delivered on your door.

I would've given 5 stars, if only we didn't experience the small mishap. So we put some deposits when we checked in, expecting a full refund when checking out. But on the check out day they charged us with local government tax from our deposit.

The amount itself was small, but it just felt like hidden charges since we paid in full through Agoda inclusive of Service & Tax. The reception said that Agoda didn't charge the local tax. I probably wouldn't have mind if only they told me about it in the beginning when we checked in, instead of just cutting our deposit money.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen A
Dear Helen A,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us. We highly appreciate your compliments on our bed, towels and the service offered by our dedicated team.

I must apologize if our front desk team didn’t inform you clearly at check in in regards of the Government tax and I have already discussed this matter with our Front Office Manager to make sure that appropriate training is put in place to avoid similar issues in the future.

Despite this unfortunate experience, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Staff were very good at spealing english
The room we had in the tower(the only hotel that had a tower ) at night had ecxellent views up and down the street and out to sea
We were sitting out on the balcony was nice

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tony k
Dear wooza,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a relaxing stay with us and also thank you for your compliments on our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to have another wonderful experience with us in the near future.

Bribie Island, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Ok... So, the first thing I would like to mention is first impressions.It is always highly regarded when staff are welcoming and service is prompt. The staff here did not disappoint.
The Hotel is split up into 2 areas, Beachside and Hillside. We stayed in a Beachside room. The view was exceptional. The sunsets, amazing! The rooms are quite clean! The bath was a plus.
The facilities are good. Pool is a nice size for a hotel of this calibre. The gym is small but has all the equipment needed for a necessary workout.
New visitors to the island must be aware that the beach activities are at your own risk in most parts. There are jellyfish in the water, and you can swim in the stinger nets located up and down the beach, but for a carefree swimming experience, use the pool provided by the hotel. The pools deep end is 3 metres deep! Awesome!
I highly recommend including the breakfast buffet in your package. Nice spread for breakfast. Once again, newcomers to the island need to realise that Malaysia is an Islamic country so, do not complain about the lack of pork. It was your choice to stay here.
This hotel is positioned right in the heart of Batu Feringghi, close to night markets, many night time Hawker eateries, gift shops, and tourist attractions in neighbouring Teluk Bahang.
ATM machines are located nearby at Petronas, 7 Eleven or CIMB Banks. Limits apply and are automatically converted into Ringgit when using appropriate cards. Having a Debit Card works best with a choice of Visa or Mastercard.
Back to the hotel, there are child minding facilities, games rooms, massage tents and you can have Henna done!
I cannot thank the staff enough for making our stay a pleasurable, and memorable one. Everyone should be commended for their excellent service.

Room Tip: *If you want beach views, choose a beach room. *If you're unhappy with something, the staff are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank TonyTheTravelGuy
Matt_Beroujon, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear TonyTheTravelGuy,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang!

Thank you for your review about our Resort which you have shared with us on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us.

Thank you also for your compliments about our friendly and helpful staff who are definitely a key asset and the pride of the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to them, which they will be delighted with.

We look forward to welcoming you back and creating more such wonderful memories for you on your next visit to Penang.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in a tower, kids suite. It had two bedroom areas with 2 king single beds and a king bed. They are seperated by a three quarter wall. Was a great room. Lots of space and the bathroom was massive.
We were on the 18th floor and had nice views.
The breakfast was so-so. Just average hotel buffet breakfast.
Pool area was nice with the kids pool as well. The beach is very nice there too. Big and clean. My son played for a couple of hours in the sand with another little boy. Very quiet. Noone around. Noone trying to sell you anything either, which is a nice change from Thailand and Bali.
Staff were very friendly.
Great location near the night market and lots of restaurants around.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matt_Beroujon, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Sarahbrack,

Thank you for taking your time in posting a review on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were truly impressed with our rooms as well as pool area.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Holiday Inn Resort Penang for another experience that you and your family will certainly enjoy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
#1 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,009 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Penang? Share your experiences!