“very nice”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“very nice”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was there to attend company organized event for 2 nights. I checked-in to sea view room, so the view was fantastic. The room was nicely decorated and trendy; decorated with mirrors here and there, how convenient! I love the morning breakfast, at hotel beach front cafe, very relaxed. Food at dinner buffet wasn't so good on first night, it was Mumbai buffet, but the next day Buffet dinner was good. Overall I have no complaint and would come again for quick weekend getaway.

Room Tip: I think sea view room is the best. The room windows are very big and clear.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Moscow
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed as a group of 6 from April 22 to April 26 2013 in Ferringhi Tower and booked three rooms on one floor facing different sides.
I am not sure about the Ocean Wing but I noticed that they don't have no balconies in the rooms.
At first sight the hotel does not impress at all but when you actually spend some time on a territory you find it pretty convenient, compact, quiet and clean. Ferringhi Tower is located on an opposite side of the road but there is a walking bridge that connects it with the Ocean Wing. Room quality is great like the majority of Holiday Inn Resorts, I mean the beds, bathroom amenities, big screen flat TV that supports USB sticks and external drives for your own movies, pictures and music. Great breakfast where they also serve kaya - I actually haven't seen it in any of Malaysian hotels so far.
The only thing I was much concerned about and that prevented myself from rating the overall hotel experience 5* is the sea quality. But as far as I understood the beach area is out of Holiday Inn control. The problem is that Batu Ferringhi is overpopulated with the water sports. I mean, you could find jet ski, banana boats, parasailing, etc. every 100 steps. After jet skiing for 15 minutes I got sand in my ears meaning that the sea water is pretty sandy. Once in the morning I was going to take a swim in the sea but the water sports personnel prevented me from going into the water because there was some Arabic couple going to ride a boat. This destroyed my excellent experience. But frankly speaking this is not about Holiday Inn Resort in particular, but it's a general Batu Ferringhi problem - I used to walk down the seaside to Hard Rock Hotel, Parkroal and Lone Pine territories - they all got absolutely the same.
Anyway this is the matter of holday preferences - if you don't spend time in a sea then just forget about this concern. But if you are willing to swim in it, then my recommendation is to change the destination to something like Langkawi, Pangkor, Redang, Tioman and even Kota Kinabalu. You'd be disappointed about the beach although it has got no garbage.
Anyway we all liked the Holiday Inn Resort in Penang, it's sleep quality, food, staff, amenities, location, etc. I would recommend it to all my friends only in case they do not expect much from the sea.

Room Tip: On floor 20 rooms 26-29 face the North-East,Holiday Inn Ocean Wing, The Ship, Lone Pine, etc. You...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and based on the reviews chose the Tower Wing.

I'm glad we did as no outside noise could be heard and I had a good nights sleep.

The Tower Wing is a short walk across the connecting walkway to the beach and the main wing and restaurant.I didn't find this inconvenient at all. You actually got away from the hussle and bussle of the beach wing.

The Tower Wing was quite modern and is located in the newer building and the King Room we had was very spacious. I booked a sea view room with balcony, requested and and received a high floor(level 22). Views from the balcony of the beach and night market were sensational. Its worth spending a few extra dollars to get the sea view.

The hotel is very well located with the night market at your doorstops. Bus stops are outside the hotel for trips to and from Georgetown (cost for 2 of us on the 101 to Georgetown was 5.40myr (about $1.70) and takes about 45 mins).

Virtually next door is a supermarket and a money changer. Laundries are numerous.

Check in was very smooth friendly and professional. Concierge staff were happy and helpful. Free computer access was welcome.

Breakfast I thought was more than adequate, a good variety for all tastes. Like most tourist hotels if you dine late in the morning expect it to be very busy and chaotic at times.

I think the Holiday Inn overall is a great choice and offers great value for money.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower Wing, get a sea view room with balcony and request a high floor!

Room Tip: A high floor room in Ferringhi Tower for great views and away from any road noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just returned from another lovely stay in Penang and this time tried the Holiday Inn and were quite happy. We had a five night stay in the Tower side and we stayed in a Tower Kidsuite on the 22nd floor.

Decor and room layout were good. Plenty of room and the beds were comfy and the room very clean. My only concern was the balcony, this was just a personal thing but it didn't feel very secure and with kids I felt it was quite open and oh so high. We were going to change rooms but the rooms on the beach side were much smaller and the beds only suitable for little children, so we stayed and I got used to it eventually. My husband loved it and sat out there alot.

Breakfast was average and possibly not there biggest selling point, it's just really disorganised and over crowed. The food on some days was okay but on the weekend it really was poor, as there were lots more guests than during the week. They have vegemite so my son felt all was forgiven!

Beach area is nice, my husband had a massage which was good, my son did para sailing with no dramas. The pool is average and we only used it once, needs upgrading as not really resort standard. The pool side bar was nice and had a long happy hour and pool side snacks that were tasty.

Staff was nice and helpful, not as nice as some hotels but certainly enough to get them thru.

They have an Australian Channel on the Foxtel there, mostly reruns of old soapies but they had AFL games on the weekend. Seems like a minor thing but my husband really appreciated watching the ANZAC Day game on ANZAC Day and a couple of other games aswell.

Room came with a playstation but there was only two games and neither was suitable for my boys age so that wasn't used. They did have Disney channel and their own TV which was good.

As others have said the main thing with this hotel really is the location, it is in the centre of everything and we ate and saw lots of different things due to the better location.

Would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Tower side is okay but you do feel a little left out of the loop.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel was right on the main road on the strip it was so noisy no double glazing had such a bad nights sleep the pool was really dirty and the room was not very clean really run down hotel needs alot of work but was cheap staff were nice enough would not stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Anthony R,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. It is disappointing to know that you did not enjoy your visit due to the noise levels experienced and maintenance levels being sub par. I truly apologize for these issues and please be assured that your comments will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
renef180
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We spent eight nights at the HI as the main part of our Far Eastern holiday. On arrival, the hotel impressed with its open plan layout which led through the restaurant to the pool area with the beach just beyond.
As a platinum member of Priority Club we were treated royally and upgraded to a lovely suite on the top (23rd) floor of the tower which offered the most fantastic views along the coast and I'm still missing those amazing sunsets!
The suite was well appointed and spacious and we were very comfortable there. We were offered a breakfast package, which we took up, and it provided great entertainment in the mornings ( baked beans and watermelon on the same plate, it takes all sorts!).
We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and lazed around around the large pool. Next morning, it was pretty chaotic at breakfast and around the pool and it was clear that many people come to BF for the weekend. Things settled down again on Monday and we had a really relaxing time for the rest of the week.
The pool was normally fairly quiet, which is just as well as there aren't many sun loungers or umbrellas around it. The staff at the hotel were generally laid-back ( I'm being kind here) and it was very noticeable that when Donald Morris, the hotel's Commercial Director, was around, they suddenly found lots of jobs to do!
We had lunch in the restaurant most days and the quality of the local dishes was excellent.
During our stay, we popped into some of the other hotels for a drink including La Rasa, Golden Sands and Hard Rock and, although some of them looked somewhat classier, they also seemed pretty dead, so we were very happy to be staying in the HI.
We felt that we were treated very well there and we were sorry to leave.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank renef180
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for two nights and it was one of my worst experiences. The towels had blood stains, the bed sheets had hair all over and it was dirty. The breakfast area seats were stained and dirty. They even gave us tea in mugs that were already used. They did move us to another room but still wasnt up to scratch. Definitely not 4 star. The only good thing about this hotel was that House keeping was quite efficient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shehnaz I
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Shehnaz I,

#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
#1 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Penang? Share your experiences!