I have been vacationing here for about ten years with my family. It had been a great, undervalued place, decently-priced for both accommodation and food, and with good service. While the beach in Penang is somewhat mediocre by southeast Asian standards, the resorts in Penang more than made up for it by offering other things. The Holiday Inn, in particular, offered great family rooms with two double beds, which are ideal if you have very young kids. It also has a great location, smack in the center of Batu Ferringhi, with the night market right at its doorstep.
My most recent visit was quite a disappointment. The hotel has been somewhat refurbished (very basic flourishes, to go with the new Holiday Inn Resort branding). The management has seen this fit to raise tariffs by about 30-50%. This is still not too expensive. However, what was a real disappointment was the quality of food and service standards that have noticeably dipped. It wasn't something specific, but the little things that tell you how poorly the staff has been trained. (e.g., when waiving at a waitress in the restaurant, she would not come over but yell from her position across several tables what we wanted, and so on...)
All this is particularly alarming as the Batu Ferringhi strip in Penang now has keen competitors in the Lone Pine Hotel and the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Resort Penang, together with its excellent location in the heart of famous Batu Ferringhi makes it easily accessible to the Night Market, shops and restaurants. The resort is situated right on the beach, split into two buildings- the Beach Wing, located at the beachside, or Ferringhi Tower, located directly across the road to the beach. The Ferringhi Tower commands spectacular views of both the hills and sea front and is linked by an overhead covered walkway. 358 spacious rooms with a great combination of Family Studios and Kidsuites, the resort is perfect for families and couples looking for a retreat. To also make your every moment of your stay an absolute delight, we make every dining experience special in its own way. As the only hotel offering speciality Northern Indian cuisine, it will be feast that will leave you with 'spicy' memories. At the Holiday Inn Resort Penang, you will discover an exotic way to truly enjoy your vacation and cherish every minute of it. Right from the warmth of the people, the quaint sights & sounds of the island's rich cultural heritage and the rejuvenating hospitality of Holiday Inn Resort Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Holiday Inn Penang
- Holiday Inn Georgetown
- Georgetown Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Batu Ferringhi