“Nice hotel, resonable price and in a great location”

Holiday Inn Resort Penang
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Sydney, Australia
“Nice hotel, resonable price and in a great location”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is located in the centre of town. I stayed in a hill side balcony room on the 14th floor, which had views of the ocean and along the main road. With the balcony doors closed there was almost zero traffic noise. The room was lovely, huge bed which was very comfortable and a great view. Nice large flat screen TV with plenty of chanells to chose from. The staff were very helpful and friendly. For those that dont know the hotel is split in two, on different sides of the road. The only downside to the hotel is the pool, it's located on the beachside so I had to cross the road or use the overhead walkway to use the pool - no big issue, I just didn't know this before arriving.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are on the hill side, if you want to be close to the pool you need to book the beachsi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beach Wing has all the amenities... Hotel is near night market. And also a hawker centre where you can have a variety of food. However, pls do not expect a high standard. But they are acceptable.. The only con is the journey to georgetown, which takes an hr by bus... Overall, Batu Ferringhi is gd for a relaxing holiday and if you aren't venturing into town, this can be a nice place to stay.. There are also an abundant spa and massage shops lined up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago in the Hill Side Tower and was much more impressed this time staying in the Beach View Wing. It looked much fresher and newer then where I stayed last time and the location next to the Pool was much better.

The hotel itself is a standard beach side resort with a pool, beach and hotel restaurant.

The staff were pretty average except for the man who was very helpful with my internet problem, I can't remember his name but he was a stand out!

The pool is ok, nothing like a lagoon or Thai resort Pool but it serves the purpose as the beach is a let down. Way too many water sports going on and when you want to lay in the sun you are constantly asked to move because of the watersports. We all tried the horse riding which was ok but short and expensive (to be expected). The beach is also not all that clean.

The area pretty much caters to an Arab market. Many restaurants and shops in Arabic and most tourist were also. Batu Ferringi I think is a little worn out now. Many closed shops and I now question coming back again considering also how far it is from the airport and offers so little in return. I'd suggest staying longer in Phuket or Krabi or Ko Samui.

My biggest complaint which I am sure was many others was the Nightclub next door. They play thumping music until 3am EVERY MORNING! While this is not caused by the hotel surely they should do something to try and minimise the problem. I could sing the songs in my room it was that loud and I was up the other end of the hotel.

Room Tip: As far away from the East Side of the Hotel as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank chrisbowers85
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear chrisbowers85,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I am thrilled that you have given us excellent scores on Cleanliness and the Rooms. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the outside noise may have caused you.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHG Care
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 10, 2012

According to the Holiday Inn official website (where I made the reservation) Kids Suite was promoted as "parents can relax in the balcony while kids play with PlayStation". However at the check-in, I was told by hotel staff that all Kids Suites are facing "hill side" and "no balcony". It was a serious disappointment.

Then, I was given a smoking room with smoke smell all around. After I complained about it, we were moved to another room after 3 hours. This room was missing TV remote control for the Kids TV, we asked for it, but never got it. I was too disappointed to keep asking.

Room had poor day-light reception, and Kid-room had very poor lighting. Whole family was disappointed that we didn't get what we paid for "beach wing" room.

Staff was good and responsive to needs (except for my TV remote, which I didn't get), and they were friendly. Breakfast was good and had adequate varieties. Swimming pool was too small but too deep (3M) in the middle. I was surprised that there was no pool-attendent or life-guard on duty.

Beach area was too small. Most of the time, that space was occupied by various thrill rides such as para-saling, not much of a space for kids to make sand castles.

It was a too high price paid for less than average room condition and other facilities.

Room Tip: There are no Kids Suites facing beach - even in the "beach wing". Do not get "hill si...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bandu W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear BanduW,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted that our hotel staff were attentive to your needs during your recent stay with us. I'm sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced with your room accommodation. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations.

Your review will be used to consider needed improvements and I hope that you can give us a chance to show how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel is about an hour from the airport and standard taxi is about 70 ringgits. However be aware if your party has more luggage or people then fits in the standard size taxi you will be charged for a bigger then needed Minivan at double the cost. A bit of a rip off as a slightly larger car would have done the job as it did on the return trip but they said they don’t have any. They weren’t the most helpful.
Hotel staff are extremely polite and helpful. The rooms are clean, bright and modern, with flat screen tvs. The location is great as the street lights up in the evenings with interesting market stalls. We on occasion did have the buffet breakfast at 30 Ringgits per person which had plenty of choice but only worth it if you make the most of it. Would recommend trying the local food at the Food Market Hall in the evenings where prices are much cheaper then restaurants with great tasting food. Access to public transport is right outside the hotel, which can take you to the recommended butterfly farm and George town, although Goerge town was a bit dissappointing, with dated and empty shopping malls. Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple are worth a visit. We took a day trip ferry to Langkawi (2.5 hrs there and 3.5 hrs back) but only got to do the cable car ride, which probably wasn't worth the long journey there and back - so would recommend only going if you can stay over to experience more on the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Apoliv
Petaling Jaya
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Your hillside room exceded my expectation. Been reading about those by the beach side and the newer ones on the opposite hillside. We were on level 20, and got a nice seaview. The room is new and spacious, and i love your bathroom! Everything seems good after a tired day. There was renovation on going during my stay, but since we were so high up, it didnt affect at all. The hillside rooms are connected via a 'skybridge' with the main lobby which was across the road. Upon arrival, the receptionist even got a trishaw to send us to the other side (courtesy of the hotel), though a walk is probably only around 2 mins. Lots of eating places downstairs and there's a night market right infront too.

Room Tip: - previous travellers recommended higher levels if you are staying on the hillside. That's what...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AddieY
Singapore
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were able to get to the hotel from the airport using Penang's Rapid public bus service which was cheap and convenient since the hotel was on the bus route, if you do not mind the 2 hr journey. Anyway, when we first arrived, I did not know whether we'll be put up in the Ferringhi Tower which i guess was newer than the building on the beach front.

When we checked in, it was seamless and when i inquired where we will be staying, the receptionist told me it would be in the tower with the hill view. I just made a passing comment, that it would be great if they could put us in the room facing the sea and she just smiled and continued to process our check in. Little did i know, that she took the comment seriously, and I was pleasantly surprised when she passed us the room key and told us that they have upgraded us to a sea view room with no extra charge.

Our room was huge, with a fantastic balcony facing the ocean and also part of the hills behind us which made our day after a long journey from the airport. I was really delighted at the service and the speed of the house keeping staff whenever we requested for some extra toiletries or bottles of water. I would have given this place an excellent rating, but for the breakfast. The location was great, service was great and even the views if you're put in the tower. But the breakfast was not that great in my own opinion, we were hoping for more local tastes of Malaysia from the breakfast, but that was not to be. But I guess it was ok if you're not one that just minds eating the usual continental breakfast spreads so commonly found.

Overall it was a great stay. With all the night markets just outside the hotel, and all the local food stuff to choose from the many stalls around the area.

Room Tip: Try to get or in my case request for rooms facing the sea with the balcony. It will really make your...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
#1 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Penang? Share your experiences!