This is really long but there is just so much good stuff to write about....
We stayed in a Deluxe Seaview Room - Garden Wing - 8th Floor for 9 nights.
The Rasa Sayang is the best resort we have ever stayed in.
The hotel is divided into two wings - The Garden Wing and the Rasa Wing. The Rasa wing is the more expensive with nicer rooms (Ground floor rooms with garden and all floors up were double the size with a bath tub on balcony), you get free alcohol in the lobby lounge (Moet , beer etc) from 11am and then cocktails for the last 2 hours until 7.30pm, the Rasa Wing also has their own swimming pool which is adults only (so if you have children might want to stay in Garden Wing). The Garden Wing rooms are divided into 2 types - Seafacing on floors 2 - 6 and Seaview on floors 7 & 8. Some of the rooms on the lower floors wouldn't get much light or much of a view as there are huge old trees right in front of them.
Our room was a great size with nice furnishings and a nice marble and wood bathroom with seperate shower and bath (None of that shower over bath space saving rubbish). The room had a balcony over looking the pool and beach (Although was not overly private but cant expect it to be when in a hotel block with balconies all facing the same way).
The staff, the service, the accommodation, the facilities, everything about this hotel was total luxury.
The staff really make this hotel, they go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect for you, from greeting you by name when you pull up in your private car transfer, to the in room check in, to dressing your sun lounger for you as soon as you step foot in the pool area, they are amazing.
The Chi Spa was amazing - You pay 6 star hotel prices but the experience is truely out of this world. Definately recommend.
The pool was large and was a mixture of shallow and deep. There are a lot of sun loungers both in the sun and shade and the pool boys will bring you a buzzer so you can buzz for service (Food, Drinks etc)
(Rasa Wing guests can use either pool however Garden Wing guests have no access to the Rasa Wing pool - No worries as the garden pool is the bigger of the two and very very nice)
The beach was clean and nice and sandy although we didn't swim in the ocean as there are signs up warning about Jelly Fish, didn't bother us though as the pool was so nice we hung by that all day. There are a lot of water sports operating - Parasailing, jetskiing, banana boats, boats, horse riding, beach buggies etc etc. No one really lies on the beach sunbathing there there are all around the pool.
Breakfasts in the Spice Market Restaurant are awesome - Everything you could ever want - Omelettes, eggs, sausages, waffles, pancakes, cerel, fruit, Malaysian, Indian, Arab, + + + + + + much more. (NO PORK)
We ate a buffet dinner at the Spice Market one night and it was the best buffet we have ever eaten, it was a Pursian Night, but had a mix of everything. MYR106++, but worth every penny.
Also ate one night at the sister Golden Sands Resort (Garden Cafe Penang Hawkers Buffet Delight) - No comparison - Was very dissappointed with it. Although didn't try their other restaurants - They may have been better??.
Long Beach is best local hawker centre to eat dinner, we ate there about 1/2 the time - most dishes are under MYR6 and beer is MYR15 - MYR16 for a big bottle (2 glasses). Very cheap.
The markets don't come alive until at least 7pm and you can get very good bargins. Handbags - Guess, LV, Mui Mui, Marc Jacobs, Chloe etc etc (all fakes of course). Watches, DVDs, Music DVDs, PS2 games, Gameboy games, clothes, and so on. Would have liked to see more bars and pubs in Batu Ferrangi but was OK.
Nothing much happens during the day like in Phuket/Koh Samui etc so most people just chill at resort, go to Georgetown for shopping(not as good as KL) or do a tour.
We did the Langkawi Coral snorkelling tour that the hotel tour desk sold (trip was called Palau ...something or rather) It advertised 1 hour by high speed boat each way however was more like over 2 hours by dodgy ferry that went onto Langkawi after it dropped us off and 60 - 70% of people got seasick. Was good when we go there - Fantastic snorkelling and nice beach etc but overall was a very long day (7.45am pick up and back home at 7pm) MYR250 pp.
OVERALL WE WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO EVERYONE. IT WAS FANTASTIC. BOOK IT. IF YOU ARE UMMMMMING AND ARRRRRRING BETWEEN THIS AND THE GOLDEN SANDS - BOOK THE RASA, THE GOLDEN SANDS IS MUCH OLDER, A LITTLE RUN DOWN, CHEAP PLASTIC SUNLOUNGERS AND OUTDOOR FURNITURE, ROOMS ARE DATED AND OVERALL WOULD ONLY RATE IT 3 STAR. (I'M A TRAVEL AGENT SO ASKED FOR A SIGHT INSPECTION OF BOTH PROPERTIES WHILST WE WERE STAYING AT THE RASA).
Can't say enough about it...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa has a sense of history, place and tradition. A 5 star resort located in Batu Feringgi, Penang Malaysia. The sprawling gardens of the resort are ideal for team building exercises, outdoor meetings and allow you to enjoy your meetings and conventions in a tropical setting. Exchanging lifetime vows under our sheltering rain trees will make your wedding unforgettable. Also, nothing creates more wonderful memories than a perfect day in our beautiful gardens. Rasa Sayang resort and Spa is also connected to George Town via our complimentary daily shuttle. With so much cultural history and vibrant street art, it's no surprise that Penang's capital, George Town, has been designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.George Town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Hotel
- Rasa Sayang Penang
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa Penang/Batu Ferringhi