“A bit disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Lake Macquarie
“A bit disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2008

We stayed at the Rasa Sayang in late October. My husband & I & our 2 grown children stayed in the Garden wing in the Sea View rooms, which face the sea & the pool. We payed 740 MYR plus service fees & tax per room per night. We had spent the previous week at the Traders Hotel in Kuala Lumpur & had loved it.
Upon entering our room I was shocked to note that it had not been properly cleaned or maintained. There was a dirty tissue & some rubbish on the bathroom vanity & the tissue box dispenser was broken & hanging out of the vanity. The mirrors in the bathroom & throughout the room were really grubby with fingerprints & smudges. Several drawers were stuck & unable to be opened, the bedside light was broken & so was the phone. Having said that, it was all very quickly fixed up when I complained to reception, but I did feel that the girl who cleaned it up thought that I was being overly fussy, which I'm not. I don't expect our rooms to be thoroughly cleaned when we're staying in them, but I don't like to see such blatant evidence of the previous guest when I first enter the room.
The pool area & gardens were beautiful & the breakfast was great. We particularly loved the Malaysian breakfast . I had the most amazing facial at the Chi spa. I can highly recommend the Chi spa. We had manicures, massages & foot reflexology treatments down the street, but I decided to try the Chi Spa for a facial even though it was quite a bit more expensive, but it was absolutely worth it. Best facial & ambiance I' ve ever had.
On our last day we were offered the use of the gym change room after we vacated our room as we had a few hours to wait for our transport to the airport & so we went for a swim The gym,change room/ bathroom, sauna & spa was lovely & we were sorry we hadn't used some of the other facilities that the resort offered. Unfortunately we were a bit put off initially with the state of the room & the attitude. Although some of the staff members were very friendly & helpful, overall we found it less friendly than the Traders in KL.. We also felt that the lobby area & bar lacked atmosphere, so we opted to go to the Holiday inn & The Parkroyal for a drink one night after the night markets & found they were more fun for a drink. No idea what their rooms are like though, although we checked out the pool area at the Parkroyal & it was very nice

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Kat-LakeMaquarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

The Shangri-La is a beautifully appointed hotel with excellent staff.

I was fortunate enough to be upgraded upon arrival.. from a room in the Garden Wing to a room in the Rasa Wing.

This meant access to the Rasa Lounge for complimentary pre-dinner drinks...and access to the Rasa Pool, which prohibits children under 16..

From arrival to departure the service was first class. The staff very welcoming and friendly.

It was the little touches that made it special....including things like the fresh fruit skewers delivered poolside.

The room itself was enormous with a huge oversized bath on the large balcony, overlooking the palm trees and out towards the beach.

Breakfast in the Ferringhi Grill was excellent and more than enough to keep you satisfied until dinner!

Easily the best place to stay in Batu Ferringhi.

Just one tip....If you want to go jet-skiing or parasailing use one of the independent operators on the beach...

They are considerably cheaper than the hotel's affiliated operator

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank mikestar70
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

I stayed at the Rasa Sayang in October.

I booked direct with the hotel and got a corporate rate of RM590 for the Garden Wing.

Upon Arrival I was offered to upgrade to the Rasa Wing Ground floor room for an additional RM300, or to the Premier top floor room for additional RM450.

I took the upgrade to the ground floor room. The room was very nice. It had L'Occitane bath products. The glass doors opened to a nice garden patio.

However, here's what I felt about the Rasa Wing's additional benefits -

#1 The cocktail sessions were really not that great. You are given a not so exciting portion of food and it was a very rushed one hour. If you were outside the hotel you needed to rush back for essentially a not very exciting fare. In my opinion not big deal.

#2 The exclusive breakfast at the ferrengi grill was basic and had like 20% of the food offered at the Spice Garden. On top of that, the Grill was air conditioned and in the morning very cold. I would recommend eating at the Spice Garden. The spread of food was wonderful and exotic, and they serve you great stuff. On top of that, you have the option of sitting outside, with a nice warm morning sun with the see breeze gently blowing at you.

The grounds and the staff service were wonderful. We actually sat under the trees and learnt to play majong with a retired nurse from the UK. The staff, retired hotel employees working part time as majong instructor, was on hand to teach us. What a delightful experience.

The grounds were well kept. The trees were huge an ancient, providing a wonderful canopy. You can take a deck chair, sit under the trees and spend a relaxing afternoon.

My advice, book the garden wing. Forget about the Rasa Wing. If they do offer you a very good discount when you check in, then maybe, but I think the Garden Wing is good enough. The money saved, spend it in Penang city buying souvenirs or eating local food.

• Liked — luxurious, exclusive
  • Disliked — Bad value for money for the Rasa Wing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank maic
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

The Rasa Sayang is a fantastic hotel and will ensure a perfect holiday. We stayed in the exclusive (and more expensive) Rasa Wing of the hotel and it was amazing.

The room was exactly as you would expect of a 5* hotel and had been in a style which reminded you that you are in Malaysia, rather than being a clinical feeling top hotel. We were sent fresh fruit every morning and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Evening canapes and cocktails were always welcome in the Rasa Wing Lounge and started the evenings perfectly.

The whole hotel is lovely, but the grounds and the pool areas are especially impressive. The pool staff are always on hand to rearrange beds, bring drinks or arrange for a reflexology massage by the pool!

We had a wonderful 8 days which were exactly what we needed after the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur and I can recommend the Rasa Sayang 100% - Well worth paying more for the Rasa Wing though :o)

• Liked — Hotel grounds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matt_Sellwood
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

I got the special deal to stay in Shangrila Rasa Sayang last week and it was such a wonderful stay that I almost never left the hotel for a 2 night stay.

We were first booked into a Garden Wing room which was well maintained and everything looks new. The lobby and pool at the Garden wing is beautiful with giant old trees and plenty of plants.

We upgraded immediately when we saw the Rasa wing which is a class of its own. The decoration is more classic with hints of zen and Thai influence.

The Premier room we stay is gorgeous with lot of room in the sitting lounge and the bathroom and its amenities is such a delight that we take number of showers a day.

The complimentary drinks and snack at the rasa wing is good after sweating from walking in the heat outdoor.

I rarely stay in the hotel the whole day but the ambiance of this resort is so perfect for relaxation my friend and I ended up staying in the resort and dine in the good restaurant instead of eating the famous Penang hawker food and the tempting looking restaurant across the road from Rasa Sayang

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlexMcca
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

My husband and I spent 4 days here as part of our honeymoon. From the moment that we got picked up at the airport until our final dinner at the Ferringhi Grill, the service was absolutely stellar and the Rasa Wing was top notch.

I wasn't feeling well (food poisoning on the plane ride over) and when I told the hotel representative at the airport that I was looking for a pharmacy because of my bad stomach, he reassured me that there was an in house clinic at the hotel that would take care of me. He must have called ahead to the hotel to tell them of my ailments because as soon as I arrived, there were several people who greeted me (including the hotel manager) and they whisked me away to see the in house doctor.

Everyone working there greeted us at all times with a smile and they knew our names. The staff was very helpful and the concierge ensured that our requests were met. They also gave us a delicious honeymoon cake and sprinkled our bed with petals. We booked a premier room in the Rasa Wing and it was gorgeous and spacious. We felt the extra expense of staying in this wing was well worth it. We loved the breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktail hour. The adult pool was fabulous and we got a great poolside foot massage. The spa is also visually stunning.

Our only critique is that on our 2nd or 3rd day there, an influx of families with small children arrived. The kids were quite loud and unruly and seemed to disrupt the tranquil, chic atmosphere of the beautiful lobby where they served tea and cocktails. It might behoove the hotel to designate at least the cocktail hour adults only. The beach was only average, but we expected that and didn't really care since the pool was so great.

Overall, it was an excellent stay--you can't go wrong with the Rasa Wing. The hotel is also in a great location--right across the street from the night market. I am glad we didn't stay in Georgetown since it was quite dirty and at times sketchy. All the major sites there can be seen in a few hours. The E&O is worth a trip for dinner at their restaurant 1885, but the property doesn't compare to the Shangri-La.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank chineseprincess
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is the most expensive hotel in Penang, I believe. I only booked it cos we had corporate rates.

Having said that, I think the hotel is great! No doubt deserving of the Shangri-La label. The pools are nice and the hotel is very child friendly. Cots are free... and were very much appreciated for me and my wife. The bed and pillows were very impressive as well.

Many people seemed bothered by the chaps offering para-sailing rides, jet-ski and ATV, etc. Well, if you are interested to ride those, then it's a real blessing to have them by your door-step. Hint: they charge locals and foreigners different rates!

When I stayed in Aug 2008, they had a water-pipe cum belly dancer at the poolside in the evenings. Definitely worth a try.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank KTB11
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,117 reviews
Seven Terraces
Seven Terraces
#1 of 84 in George Town

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!