“Fantastic!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Sao Paulo, SP
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

When I arrived they were fully book so they gave me a huge room upgrade from garden wing (garden view) to rasa wing (premier room) . Fast check in and shuttle to the other lobby by a very nice guy in a golf car! Awesome services, polite and very nice staff. The resort is beautiful, many things to do, very well maintained. Great food, very clean. Rasa wings guest have complimentary afternoon tea and coquetail and soft drinks during the day. I stayed there for 2 days. I wish I could stay a little longer.

Room Tip: Book for a room in the rasa wing. Go to the poll by late afternoon. Water is warm and the place is p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was burned by a fire jelly fish. There are 2 entries to the beach. The one we used did not have any sign informing you that you should be aware of jelly fish. All my arms, hand and leg got burned. I immediately run to the staff next to the swimming, who spray me with white vinegar. They asked if I wanted to go to the clinic. I declined because I thought the consequences would be similar to ones in Europe: light burn for a couple of days. I decided to go to my room. Once I got there I started shivering and with huge pains all over my body. When I asked to go to the clinic they said the doctor was not there. The next day we asked to go to the clinic but they said that as it was holiday it would be complicated. We decided to go by taxi to the GleenEagles medical center. There the doctor said that, given the extension of my burns, I should have gone to the hospital right away. He also said that vinegar is ok for small burns (but still not the best method) and in my case only increased the pain.

The hotel is very nice and the staff was polite. Once the doctor was not there, they even took me to a local pharmacy (that gave me something worthless). But they were clearly not informed about this situation.

If you like to go to the beach and not to stay only in the swimming pool I would advise you to go to another place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

SL_Penang, Colleague at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Magarida R,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to learn of your unpleasant encounter
with the jellyfish incident.

We are mindful of our jellyfish situation and we are working closely with the local authorities to address the issue. I will personally bring this matter up during my quarterly meeting with the City Local Council.

We hope that you are feeling much better now and that you have fully recovered from the incident. We have since placed extra jellyfish signages at all the exit to the public beach.

We hope that this situation will not deter you from visiting us again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Suleiman Tunku Abdul Rahman
Director of Communications
Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Booked this hotel via Secret Escapes - it was a perfect choice. Excellent location, beautiful hotel, staff all very friendly and helpful. Our Rasa Wing room had no balcony and faced the car park - but this was not a problem, room very spacious and comfortable, and view was still nice and who needs a balcony when the hotel grounds are stunning with plenty of sun loungers. We very much enjoyed the Rasa Wing pool, with the staff who rush to put towels on sun loungers for you and keep you well supplied with cool drinks and fruit kebabs, or coffee if you prefer. Afternoon tea was the best (I'd say as good as The Ritz in London, where it is definitely not complimentary!). Cocktails were fun, if you want to socialise with your fellow guests - but if not, have a drink after 7.30 when the lounge will be empty... There is lots to do in Penang and Batu Ferringhi, and lots of activities at the hotel, and the weather is wonderful. The shuttle bus into George Town is very good, and will drop you off at the shopping malls, but there is also a bus stop outside the hotel with frequent buses and cheap fares. Definitely want to come back!

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms face the car park and road, and don't have a balcony, but are not noisy - and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 14 days in February this year. This is a very good resort, well maintained and with good options. We stayed in the Garden Wing and our room was very good and I would not bother with paying the extra for the Rasa Wing unless you really do have money to burn. Breakfast was such that we really had to keep ourselves under control and eat the smoked fish and stuff occasionally to stop the guilt trips. We really has a great deal through the internet and our stay was very good value indeed but I would not want to pay over $300 per night to stay here. Not that you could really complain about anything really. The gym was excellent and the change rooms were pretty awesome really with hot tubs etc. Overall if you want somewhere to go that is easy, of high standard and relaxing then try here but do not pay full freight as you may well be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure your garden room faces the sea. Some are side facing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dalton-in-furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our trip to Penang was made fantastic by the stay at this hotel. The staff at the Rasa wing went the extra mile every day making sure our stay was first class i cant praise them enough, we stayed in the Rasa wing and enjoyed complementary afternoon tea and cocktails. We found both good company and excellent service couldn’t ask for more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Long over due, last stay over 12 months ago now however this in the hotel we always compare with the benchmark of perfection!

rasa wing with private pool is amazing! Gym is great and why not 9 holes of golf in the afternoon or take the high tea option!!!

Can't wait 2 return!!!

Thanks so much!!

• Stayed April 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our family agreed that this might just be our favourite place on earth! The food, staff and the setting created that feeling of finding paradise.

We stayed in the Rasa Wing. Room perfect, with own small garden. The food is great and the location good; with the peace and relaxation of the Rasa contrasting with the bustle of the town & the night market.

However what distinguishes this place for us is the staff. They were able to make us feel really special.

Totally perfect in all ways; our biggest problem is how we can anywhere else in the world & match this place!

A area of improvement could be in the Sister hotel….I took our Son to the Children's club at Golden Sands but he refused to stay and I don't really blame him. Why would you want to sit in a room with not much light when you could be in the luxury of the of the Rasa Sayang……If we came again it would be good to see the kids activities improved.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank LoopyLou1885
Dear LoopyLou1885,

Thank you very much for sharing your nice comments on tripadvisor.com. It's really nice to read that you and your family had a wonderful stay at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa.

I will share your comments with the team and I am sure all of them will be delighted to know that you have found your favourite holiday destination.

We have noted your comments with regards to our sister hotel. We will certainly look at the improvement of the natural lighting in the children club area and the kids activities.

Again, we do greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. I trust we may have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Warmest regards,

#4 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Bayview Beach Resort
Bayview Beach Resort
#7 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!