Spent an excellent 10 nights at Rasa Sayang. The low points were the less than cheery welcome (not repeated during our stay) and a non-smoking room that smelt of smoke. For a Shangri-La the "basic" Rasa wing rooms are quite small - but still plenty of room by any reasonable standards. The basic Rasa wing rooms overlook the carpark / main road. However on the whole it is not intrusive, especially with the AC on (which you will need).
The room were well appointed, clean, no noise could be heard from neighbouring rooms regularly serviced and everything was very well maintained. Note, UK travellers wont need power adaptors which is handy.
The Rasa Wing facilities are excellent:
Breakfast is served 7:00-10:30am in a restaurant away from the rest of the hotel guests, consisting of a buffet and a-la carte choices - a range of Western and Asian dishes available each day, fantastic flavours and presentation. Whilst not immediately obvious, you can order Latte / Cappucino coffees with breakfast - all included. Service is excellent and friendly.
Afternoon Tea - a range of tasty mini rolls, cakes and scones served with soft drinks 3-4pm.
Drinks / Canapes - around 10 cocktails + usual G+T etc options, 1 sparkling, 2 white and 2 red wine options, to have along with a range of hot and cold finger food (savoury and sweet). You'll never have an empty glass, the service is fantastic. Staff are happy to chat or will quietly just top up your glass.
Rasa Wing Pool - very nice pool and again great service, team will set up loungers when you arrive and regularly bring soft drinks / cold towels / fresh fruit sticks as you relax. No need to worry about fighting for loungers and people getting up at 5am to "reserve" them - if anyone who leaves gear for more than an hour, the team remove to the pool office, so you can arrive when you like and get a lounger - a well judged approach.
Spa - whilst not "cheap" - a 2 hour treatment was @£90 - the quality was exceptional. Don't dismiss for not being cheaper than the UK.
Gym - nicely sized, very clean, cold towels, fruit drinks and well maintained, quality equipment. Not every very busy during our stay - which is great. You can also book jungle and cultural walks from the gym - the jungle walk is not for the unfit / infirm - a proper 7k walk over mostly unmade paths through jungle on the side of a steep hill. Great fun though!
Outside the resort - there is a beach infront of the resort - despite being beautiful, it's not used much due to jellyfish in the sea, but lovely to stroll around. There are paragliding and jetski's available, I believe these are local businesses,rather than run by the hotel.
Food / Drink - there are many many options within 5-15 minutes walk of the reception desk, which are reviewed seperately - you can eat for @£12-£16 and get a 2-3 dish meal + drinks for two people.
Night markets - lots of choice for browsing / negotiating / buying - lots of fun browsing and bargaining.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa has a sense of history, place and tradition. A 5 star resort located in Batu Feringgi, Penang Malaysia. The sprawling gardens of the resort are ideal for team building exercises, outdoor meetings and allow you to enjoy your meetings and conventions in a tropical setting. Exchanging lifetime vows under our sheltering rain trees will make your wedding unforgettable. Also, nothing creates more wonderful memories than a perfect day in our beautiful gardens. Rasa Sayang resort and Spa is also connected to George Town via our complimentary daily shuttle. With so much cultural history and vibrant street art, it's no surprise that Penang's capital, George Town, has been designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.George Town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Hotel
- Rasa Sayang Penang
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa Penang/Batu Ferringhi