Other great reviews say it all . I love this hotel and didn't want to leave . We upgraded to the Rasa wing on arrival for about £50 sterling and worth every penny. Reception happily showed us around available rooms . This is a fine hotel and It pains me to say this , but the rooms are getting a little tired. But you don't notice that for long once you've checked in and you're swallowed by the comfort of the beds and seating , open plan bathrooms (which can be closed off for privacy) and the warm hospitality of all of the staff. We chose to stay in a garden room which indeed , has a lovely little private garden whihc in turn leads directly to one of the pools . But note , you can't lock your balcony door from the outside . So to go to the pool for a while you still need to walk though hotel corridors(s). No hardship really but worth noting. Rasa wing guests have exclusive access to the quiter adult -only pool where complimentary soft drinks , fruit, and cold towels are delivered to your sunbed - decadent ! Rasa Wing also gives you a choice of restaurants for breakfast . The buffet in The Spice Market is vast with a huge choice. But like other big buffet restaurants, it's very busy and noisy. Rasa Wing guests can also choose to use the Ferringhi Grill for breakfast . With an impressive selection and daily specials, you are spolied for choice . Your choice of hot breakfast is served to your table by really attentive , friendly staff who remember you by name . The view across the manicured gardens towards the sea or pool is memorable .I can't praise this hotel highly enough, but it's Mr Chan in the Rasa Wing lounge who takes first prize. This wing also has a free "cocktails " and canapes. You can have a cocktial if you like from a sizeable menu, but there is also wine, beer -anything you want really. The canapes are quite substantial. Mr Chan works this lounge like his life depends on it . He's like a typhoon eyeing every glass incase it accidentally becomes empty . And he's always got time for a kind word . Honestly , it's like being in the home of a good friend. Everybody loved Mr Chan and his staff.
Batu Ferringhi itself looks on the face of it , a typical holiday resort. But it's not your schmoosy , honeymoon type place . It 's got an edge to it . OK the night market is like markets everywhere but with some great little bars behind the stalls . OUr favourite was The Wooden Bar , turn right at the main road when you leave the hotel. It's like something straight from The Flintstones. The barmaid is very chatty and yu can order some good food from The Malaysian Kitchen next doorr and they serve it to you in the pub. But the best of it is the regular mainly ex pat Brits, Aussie and Americans . The "crack" is great . Some real characters . About 20/25 mins away by Taxi is Georgetown. Jam packed with georgeous colonial buildings sitting cheek by jowel next to small shop houses owned by the multicultural locals from India ,Malasia , China and a unique people who are a mix of chinese /malaysian called "Peranakan" ( I think) selling everything from textiles, to food, crafts and so on. And you can tour all of this on Trishaw- lime Rickshaw but with 3 wheels including an old bicycle peddled by an even older man . This is an experience in itself . They are protected by law and have right of way on mental roads jammed with traffic . You WILL need to close your eyes and grind your teeth when the Trishaw takes off from the kerb straight into the line of fast moving traffic.
It's unmissable . Just watch your bag/wallet from passing mopeds . But your driver will warn you about this . This is unmissable . We loved Panang. It's a"real place" where we stayed for 10 days -not long enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa has a sense of history, place and tradition. A 5 star resort located in Batu Feringgi, Penang Malaysia. The sprawling gardens of the resort are ideal for team building exercises, outdoor meetings and allow you to enjoy your meetings and conventions in a tropical setting. Exchanging lifetime vows under our sheltering rain trees will make your wedding unforgettable. Also, nothing creates more wonderful memories than a perfect day in our beautiful gardens. Rasa Sayang resort and Spa is also connected to George Town via our complimentary daily shuttle. With so much cultural history and vibrant street art, it's no surprise that Penang's capital, George Town, has been designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.George Town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Hotel
- Rasa Sayang Penang
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa Penang/Batu Ferringhi